Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes G55 AMG
G55 Transmission Problem! Help :(

Hey guys,
Just hopped into my G55 yesterday after three months,
(driven by someone else untill i was back in dubai) I found out that the car was driven in low gear the whole three months and it got to a point where the car showed a warning that said (TC SET IN NUETRAL) i tried shifting down back to low and the car did not move in 'Drive' and stalled with a horrible sound from right under the engine (i'm guessing the gearbox) so i managed to set in back in TC high with which there are no problems, just wondering if anyone had the same problem and what the problem might be.
G55 Transmission Problem! Help :(-img_0494low.jpg

G55 Transmission Problem! Help :(-img_0707low.jpg

G55 Transmission Problem! Help :(-jihadlo.jpg
Old 12-17-2012, 02:25 PM

2013 G 63 AMG
Ouch...hope they didn't ever engage the diff locks. Get it inspected by a trained mechanic...if its out of warranty then try Silber Arrows in Al Quoz behind Times Square Center. Ask for Philip.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Well what a coincidence, this happened to me last week. I was parking at the supermarket and when I opened the door I got a warning-beep and a dash saying "TC hi lo set in N". From then the car seemed to be in low gear although the H/L sign in the dash display was blank. (Driving there everything was normal)

Tried pressing neutral H/L and nothing but some light clunking from the gearbox area. Drove to the closest dealership (10 minutes) in what seemed low gear, there set it in N and did a L/H switch while the door was open and the signal was beeping, and behold the gearbox showed L and H again and everything seems to work as it should. Drove away and will have to read it out one day soon to see what the problem might be...
Old 12-18-2012, 11:55 PM

Mercedes G55 AMG
@Jimmyg : Thanks for the contact, will go up to Silber Arrows as soon as my brake pads are replaced and i get my baby back. Congrats on the G63 by the way what a beast!

@Sprins : That's exactly what happened, i'm actually really scared to put it back into TC LOW so just going to get it checked out to be on the safe side.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Possibly the TC control module under the console......
Module has been upgraded quite a few times since the 2003 introduction of electronic control of the transfer cases.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by Chirenj
@Jimmyg : Thanks for the contact, will go up to Silber Arrows as soon as my brake pads are replaced and i get my baby back. Congrats on the G63 by the way what a beast!

@Sprins : That's exactly what happened, i'm actually really scared to put it back into TC LOW so just going to get it checked out to be on the safe side.
Let us know what they say.

I changed to L/H a few times and drove around quite a bit, and so far no problem (knock on wood).
Old 01-11-2013, 06:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by RBYCC
Possibly the TC control module under the console......
Module has been upgraded quite a few times since the 2003 introduction of electronic control of the transfer cases.
This is what my workshop also told me. Due to the (too) tight tolerances in the old control module the system might go into limp mode from time to tome when the low/high gearbox gets older and due to wear needs wider tolerances (although it still is perfectly ok). The new control modules apparently address this problem.

Happened to me again and made an appointment with them to fix it.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:43 AM

G55
Take it to the dealership if it's under warranty otherwise there's a garage in Sharjah called Al Hilo Service Center, that guy is a Mercedes genius! Ask for Rami the owner.