RHD G63 Storage and Cupholders

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sonderklasse
RHD G63 Storage and Cupholders

Hello all,

I have ordered a custom spec G63 (confirmed for April production) but I have several questions that I hope some of you may be able to help me with:

1. Does anyone have close up pictures of the rear cupholder (option code FG3 in the UK)? Based on the pictures I have seen online, there is a centre tunnel protruding into the leg space of the middle rear bench passenger, right? I am getting concerned that the rear cupholder may further get into the way of a rear passengers especially when seating three in the back? I could almost do away with the rear cupholder option if that is the case, unless it is detachable? Any advice and pictures?

2. Is the front netted cupholder standard for UK RHD G63? I have seen these on the US LHD models. Are they useful? I would imagine when in use it would get in the way of the front passenger's kneeroom?

3. Does anyone have close up pictures of the cigarette lighter as well as the (coin?) storage space in front of the gear selector in the centre console? Based on brochure/online pictures, I can't seem to find anywhere I can possibly put my mobile phones while driving... I don't recall seeing there is a non-smoker package or lighter delete option which would give more storage space.

I am clearly getting anxious with this long wait and if I were to make any changes to the order (ie removing the rear cupholder option) I ought to do that now rather than later...

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 01-24-2013, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
........vinyl bump

Ted
Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 G63
G Wagen cupholders

My G63 is scheduled for production in Feb. Ordered special Designo Graphite with Mystic Red with burl walnut interior, black wheels with red calipers. This will be my 6th G after 86 280GE, 95 G320, 99 G500, 02 G500 and 05 G55 I am trading.

All of the later versions have the rear cupholders on the tunnel and this will be the same in the G63 since I have seen it in 2013 G550's. It is very easy to remove the entire assembly that is only attached through the carpet, into the tunnel with a couple of screws. It will be one of the first easy changes I make the day I take delivery as well as removing all of the yellow warning stickers that can be removed. Once the cupholder assembly is removed you have much more room for the feet of anyone sitting in the middle of the rear seat.

I also take out the center headrest since rarely do I have 3 in the back and removing the headrest allows much better visibility via the rear view mirror.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
........just saw a picture Of the rear cup holder. It is the same cup holder in the G-class since 2000. It is removable by removing the screws holding it to the carpet, as has already been stated

Ted
Old 01-25-2013, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 G63 AMG
are you talking about the rear cupholders at the bottom of the center console in the back seat area?
Old 01-26-2013, 02:49 AM

Sonderklasse
hey guys thanks for the reply. i have spoken to my dealer to remove the rear cupholders from my build since it is an option. i think i prefer more room over cupholders.

however, what do you guys do with your mobile phones while driving? doesnt seem like there is a holder or easily accessible storage space where one can leave mobile devices while driving.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:19 AM

2013 G63, 2015 S500, 2016 C63 coupe
the front ashtray wont fit a mobile phone. But with a suction cup and a phone holder, it's much better to have in on the windshield and paired with bluetooth.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by BlackSL
the front ashtray wont fit a mobile phone. But with a suction cup and a phone holder, it's much better to have in on the windshield and paired with bluetooth.
.......the front ashtray does fit a mobile phone in the G55 if you remove the inner Redundant piece. This is where I store my iPhone when I choose to leave it in car. Now, I don't know if the size of the ashtray is different in the G63 since the dash is different from the G55

Ted
Old 01-27-2013, 04:46 AM

Sonderklasse
thanks for the reply guys. because i dont have the benefit of a physical G63 available locally, can G63 owners chime in on this issue? obviously not going to be a deal breaker but admittedly would be rather inconvenient. i almost have to invent some kind of rubber holder perhaps between the driver seat and the centre console?
Old 01-28-2013, 02:49 AM

2013 G63, 2015 S500, 2016 C63 coupe
I dont have the rear cup holders in my car. Wasnt an option for hong kong.
Just some pics to show u the size.

Just some photos for reference. The front ashtray slot is thin when u have the non-smokers package in the tray. Won't fit my galaxy note 2. If you take the tray out, there is possibility of scratching ur phone. As suggested, I would prefer a suction cup phone holder on the windscreen.
Attached Thumbnails RHD G63 Storage and Cupholders-20130128_004607.jpg   RHD G63 Storage and Cupholders-20130128_004455.jpg  
Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by BlackSL
I dont have the rear cup holders in my car. Wasnt an option for hong kong.
Just some pics to show u the size.

Just some photos for reference. The front ashtray slot is thin when u have the non-smokers package in the tray. Won't fit my galaxy note 2. If you take the tray out, there is possibility of scratching ur phone. As suggested, I would prefer a suction cup phone holder on the windscreen.
.....it seems as if MB is now making a big ceremony out of the cup holder thing in the G-class cars. The so called rear cup holder is just a square piece of plastic with two holes in it for cups or drinks. It is nothing spectacular. It was just there and if you didn't like it, you just removed now. Now it is some sort of paid option? Also the front cup holders were not elegant but they actually served a good purpose. Besides drinks, you could put your key, spare change, or phone in their. And again, if you didn't like it, you just removed it. Now, u don't even have the option.

Ted
Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 AM

Sonderklasse
thanks for the pics blackSL. Just realized that there is no rear climate control?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by WingFlex
thanks for the pics blackSL. Just realized that there is no rear climate control?
Unfortunately the regular production run G Wagens never had a separate zone for the rear climate control, only rear vents.

Four zone climate control seems to only have been offered on the very special run G XXL vehicles: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/att...l202010jk5.jpg (but that's a whole other story)