Sponsored by:

G63 issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14.5 RR LWB, '14 s63, '14 Ford Raptor Screw, '13 G63
G63 issues

Just took delivery of my second g63. This is the correct g63 after the factory painted the first one the wrong color.

I wanted to share a few issues I had with the last one and this one.

- I was up to about 2500 miles on the first one and driving last Thursday on a sunny and dry day. All of a sudden a light came on and a message appeared that said ESP defective and the lights said the ESP was off. I thought it was strange. I still drove the car another 60miles before I stopped at a gas station. Filled up the tank and restarted the car and the warning went away and did not reappear. I have that car back to the dealer today.

- got the new one this afternoon and the TPMS light was on upon delivery off a truck. Took it to MB Manhattan for them to look at and they said nothing was wrong and reset it and all is ok.

I was speaking with the guy who actually works on the cars and he said that they have had a couple new g63s that were being brought back in for different warning lights but after checking the cars out nothing was wrong. Wondered if anyone else has had issues.

I had my first g63 since the end of October and everything was fine up til last Thursday.

The guy at MB manhattan also told me a customer bought a g63, was up in the Catskills when his front caliper exploded and he had no brakes. He drove the car back to the city using the emergency brakes. I don't know the whole story obviously as far as how he was driving, where he was driving, etc but that seems like a pretty major issue. He said it was covered by warranty so I would assume the owner wasn't abusing the car. But something to think about.

Really hope these cars aren't going to be filled with issues. I had a g500 and a g55 previously and the only issues I had was the side maker would need to be replaced and the wipers. No other issues.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by oswiff
Just took delivery of my second g63. This is the correct g63 after the factory painted the first one the wrong color.

I wanted to share a few issues I had with the last one and this one.

- I was up to about 2500 miles on the first one and driving last Thursday on a sunny and dry day. All of a sudden a light came on and a message appeared that said ESP defective and the lights said the ESP was off. I thought it was strange. I still drove the car another 60miles before I stopped at a gas station. Filled up the tank and restarted the car and the warning went away and did not reappear. I have that car back to the dealer today.

- got the new one this afternoon and the TPMS light was on upon delivery off a truck. Took it to MB Manhattan for them to look at and they said nothing was wrong and reset it and all is ok.

I was speaking with the guy who actually works on the cars and he said that they have had a couple new g63s that were being brought back in for different warning lights but after checking the cars out nothing was wrong. Wondered if anyone else has had issues.

I had my first g63 since the end of October and everything was fine up til last Thursday.

The guy at MB manhattan also told me a customer bought a g63, was up in the Catskills when his front caliper exploded and he had no brakes. He drove the car back to the city using the emergency brakes. I don't know the whole story obviously as far as how he was driving, where he was driving, etc but that seems like a pretty major issue. He said it was covered by warranty so I would assume the owner wasn't abusing the car. But something to think about.

Really hope these cars aren't going to be filled with issues. I had a g500 and a g55 previously and the only issues I had was the side maker would need to be replaced and the wipers. No other issues.
......don't worry. The ESP warning light was also a problem on some G55's and wound go away after restart. Many other car makes with TPMS also have issues with them especially in cold weather. Never heard about an exploding caliper though

Ted
Old 03-05-2013, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 G63
4k miles on mine, over 6 months and its in the shop as we speak for the second time due to a crackling sound coming from the sunroof when opening/closing.

I too, pray that I don't get riddled with the electrical gremlins that my 1st G, a 2002, gave me. That one racked up the largest warranty file known to my local dealership
Old 03-05-2013, 07:34 PM

On top of those issues, the one i got today had a dent on the roof on delivery. It could have happened in one of many places (at the factory, on the boat, on the truck to dealership, at dealership, on truck to me), so hard to be upset at any one person(s), but it's annoying none the less. Attached a photo of the dent and some of the car today and when it got to the dealership last week

The dealer is taking responsibility and is going to work directly with MB Manhattan to fix the roof, but at some point those will be a few days without the car.
Attached Thumbnails G63 issues-photo-1.jpg   G63 issues-photo-2.jpg   G63 issues-photo-3.jpg   G63 issues-photo-4.jpg   G63 issues-photo-7.jpg  

G63 issues-photo-8.jpg  
Old 03-05-2013, 08:00 PM

2013 G63
On top of those issues, the one i got today had a dent on the roof on delivery. It could have happened in one of many places (at the factory, on the boat, on the truck to dealership, at dealership, on truck to me), so hard to be upset at any one person(s), but it's annoying none the less. Attached a photo of the dent and some of the car today and when it got to the dealership last week

The dealer is taking responsibility and is going to work directly with MB Manhattan to fix the roof, but at some point those will be a few days without the car.
I feel your pain. Having said that, your G is bad-*** in that configuration. Congrats!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by G63DCC
I feel your pain. Having said that, your G is bad-*** in that configuration. Congrats!
Thanks! Really happy with it. The dent is just a bump in the road.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:45 PM

2013 G63
Thanks! Really happy with it. The dent is just a bump in the road.
Wishing I went with the matte finish, glad you stood your ground and got what you ordered, originally. I didn't have the luxury of ordering, just the luck in timing that I was on lot when the gentleman that ordered his (now mine) passed on it. His wife didn't think he "needed it!" He was 82, I'm 40. I "needed it."

Enjoy your ride, nothing quite like a G, especially the latest iteration.

Happy motoring.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:08 PM

Wishing I went with the matte finish, glad you stood your ground and got what you ordered, originally. I didn't have the luxury of ordering, just the luck in timing that I was on lot when the gentleman that ordered his (now mine) passed on it. His wife didn't think he "needed it!" He was 82, I'm 40. I "needed it."

Enjoy your ride, nothing quite like a G, especially the latest iteration.

Happy motoring.
I went back and forth a lot to finally decide on the matte black. I changed my mind about 20 times before finally deciding to go ahead with the magno. But then of course the car came regular black. Not sure if it was the universe working in mysterious ways but now I have magno. I still have my reservations but in the end I think this would be the only car I would ever get in matte.

I honestly don't think anyone "needs" this car. For me, when I sold my previous ones I always did a double take when I saw one on the road. So it always brought me back to it. I don't think it's anywhere near good value for the money but few cars are.

I hope you are enjoying yours as much as I do mine.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:00 PM

2013 G63
I went back and forth a lot to finally decide on the matte black. I changed my mind about 20 times before finally deciding to go ahead with the magno. But then of course the car came regular black. Not sure if it was the universe working in mysterious ways but now I have magno. I still have my reservations but in the end I think this would be the only car I would ever get in matte.

I honestly don't think anyone "needs" this car. For me, when I sold my previous ones I always did a double take when I saw one on the road. So it always brought me back to it. I don't think it's anywhere near good value for the money but few cars are.

I hope you are enjoying yours as much as I do mine.
Totally understand your POV and agree. My "need" is more an expression of my passion for the G. As a financial advisor I understand that cars are generally not investments. Thankfully G Wagons generally hold value, albeit never a quick sale. I'm on my 4th, as of now. I've had all sorts of luxury rides and yet none have ever excited me as much as the G. So, like you, I always ended up getting another. I sort of budget for this space of consumptive spending, most people have their vices

I will say this...with a smile. I see Cayennes, Rovers and you name it, at almost every stop light I find myself at. But rarely do I see another G. I actually haven't seen another G63 in my area (SF) since I got mine, last Labor Day!

As long as they keep making them, I'm all-in as a loyalist.

Final comment, obsidian black is a ***** to keep clean! My previous 3 G's were all silver and always looked clean even when filthy.

Send some more pix, when you're all settled in!

Adam
Old 03-05-2013, 10:09 PM

Received 136 Likes on 112 Posts
993 TT
I went back and forth a lot to finally decide on the matte black. I changed my mind about 20 times before finally deciding to go ahead with the magno.
This is exactly the car I configured at the dealer before I ditched the order and decided to keep my '10 G55. Yours is the first G63 I've seen with the Diamond Leather Stitch and its looks fantastic. The all leather wheel is also an interesting look. Actually, I had configured the all leather wheel but the carbon interior trim; yours looks like piano black. I've not seen another G with an all leather steering wheel. It looks very different. Does your steering wheel have heated leather? It seemed this was not an option if you went with the trim/leather combo.

How are they going to fix the roof? Curious to see how they deal with the fix with the magno.

Congrats and enjoy.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:13 PM

993 TT
Final comment, obsidian black is a ***** to keep clean!

Adam
X2 on this color. Never again. Although I will say that it looks pretty good dirty too. And MB Paint is generally pretty fantastic. I had a full detail / claybar a few months ago and the G looked as good, or better, than the day I drove her off the lot..... for all of 5 hours before it was covered in dust.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by drew138
This is exactly the car I configured at the dealer before I ditched the order and decided to keep my '10 G55. Yours is the first G63 I've seen with the Diamond Leather Stitch and its looks fantastic. The all leather wheel is also an interesting look. Actually, I had configured the all leather wheel but the carbon interior trim; yours looks like piano black. I've not seen another G with an all leather steering wheel. It looks very different. Does your steering wheel have heated leather? It seemed this was not an option if you went with the trim/leather combo.

How are they going to fix the roof? Curious to see how they deal with the fix with the magno.

Congrats and enjoy.
The PA6 was something else that I flip flopped on for weeks. I couldn't decide if it was worth the money and I was told by multiple sources it's not quite as durable as the standard interior. But I loved that it made the interior different, frankly I felt that the standard seats were a bit boring and the ruching on the door panels seemed out of place but up until now, we couldn't get it any other way.

The same goes for the all leather steering wheel. The one thing I hated about my '11 G55 was that it had the cherry reddish wood trim. I couldn't stand it, personally. I thought it looked odd, but when I bought mine, it was the only option. I know they changed it later that MY, but I didn't want to buy another one just for that reason. So when the all leather steering wheel was an option, I jumped at it. It is heated and it's an extra $200 bucks, but i am happy! I had the same steering wheel on the G63 that went back today and it really saved me the last few weeks here in NY. Between the snow and the cold, it was a must have.

My trim is piano black, I almost chose CF, but I thought I would get tired of it. Not to say I won't get tired of the matte black in a few years, but then i guess i just take it through the car wash!

The roof shouldn't be too difficult. MB Manhattan will have the dent professional look at it, if he doesn't think he can fix it, they will have to have body shop do it. I asked before I chose Magno, but since MB Manhattan is a factory dealership, they should be able to use the same paint as factory. My g55 had a major dent on the roof from parking in my parking garage and they fixed it no problem. They had to repaint the whole roof but not much you can do i guess.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:43 PM

2013 G63
X2 on this color. Never again. Although I will say that it looks pretty good dirty too. And MB Paint is generally pretty fantastic. I had a full detail / claybar a few months ago and the G looked as good, or better, than the day I drove her off the lot..... for all of 5 hours before it was covered in dust.
Lol! Yep. I hear ya loud and clear.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:49 PM

Totally understand your POV and agree. My "need" is more an expression of my passion for the G. As a financial advisor I understand that cars are generally not investments. Thankfully G Wagons generally hold value, albeit never a quick sale. I'm on my 4th, as of now. I've had all sorts of luxury rides and yet none have ever excited me as much as the G. So, like you, I always ended up getting another. I sort of budget for this space of consumptive spending, most people have their vices

I will say this...with a smile. I see Cayennes, Rovers and you name it, at almost every stop light I find myself at. But rarely do I see another G. I actually haven't seen another G63 in my area (SF) since I got mine, last Labor Day!

As long as they keep making them, I'm all-in as a loyalist.

Final comment, obsidian black is a ***** to keep clean! My previous 3 G's were all silver and always looked clean even when filthy.

Send some more pix, when you're all settled in!

Adam
Sorry, didn't mean to come off as lecturing you on needing a car. I think any fellow owner of such a ridiculous car should not be lecturing anybody about purchasing anything! Cars are definitely a vice of mine and my other kryptonite are watches, but that's for another forum altogether.

I actually see a lot of G's here in the NY area. My garage had 4 (including mine) varying from MY 2000 all the way to my G63. I actually saw the oldest one in my garage today and the passenger mirror was held together with tape! I'm not one to judge but a mirror can't be that expensive right? Somedays all I see are Gs roaming around. It definitely makes me feel less special, i think I would much prefer being the minority. Obviously there are also a ton of Rovers and Cayennes, probably majority of the SUVs here being Rovers, mostly full sized ones. I wonder if G's are a little more rare in SF because of the price of gas in California? I buy my gas in either LI or NJ and it's much cheaper in NJ, it's about $3.87/gallon of Premium and in LI it's about $4.29 or so. I never get gas in Manhattan unless the fuel light is on, and even then i have to think long and hard about it.

Speaking of silver, iridium silver and magno platinum was the other choice for colors. I wish magno alanite was an option cause that would have been a no brainer! I think the g in silver is somewhat timeless. I can always spot a silver g from miles away. Sometimes a black one hides a bit more in my opinion
Old 03-05-2013, 11:25 PM

2013 G63
Sorry, didn't mean to come off as lecturing you on needing a car. I think any fellow owner of such a ridiculous car should not be lecturing anybody about purchasing anything! Cars are definitely a vice of mine and my other kryptonite are watches, but that's for another forum altogether.

I actually see a lot of G's here in the NY area. My garage had 4 (including mine) varying from MY 2000 all the way to my G63. I actually saw the oldest one in my garage today and the passenger mirror was held together with tape! I'm not one to judge but a mirror can't be that expensive right? Somedays all I see are Gs roaming around. It definitely makes me feel less special, i think I would much prefer being the minority. Obviously there are also a ton of Rovers and Cayennes, probably majority of the SUVs here being Rovers, mostly full sized ones. I wonder if G's are a little more rare in SF because of the price of gas in California? I buy my gas in either LI or NJ and it's much cheaper in NJ, it's about $3.87/gallon of Premium and in LI it's about $4.29 or so. I never get gas in Manhattan unless the fuel light is on, and even then i have to think long and hard about it.

Speaking of silver, iridium silver and magno platinum was the other choice for colors. I wish magno alanite was an option cause that would have been a no brainer! I think the g in silver is somewhat timeless. I can always spot a silver g from miles away. Sometimes a black one hides a bit more in my opinion
Don't sweat it! Meaning, I didn't interpret your comments as a lecture, not at all. Trust me, my wife (the conservative counterpart) doesn't give a rat's *** about cars and thinks I'm nuts but she certainly respects my passion for them (and watches, too...lol). So I naturally find myself rationalizing/defending my garage contents on a regular basis

Gas is getting ridiculously expensive out here lately. And yet the price of crude oil is soft...such a racket! Thankfully my daily commute is 20 miles round trip, so I throttle it whenever an open lane permits. FYI, 90 octane is running at about $4.40 everywhere in the greater Bay Area as of now!

You're spot on regarding silver, timeless and certainly MB's flagship color of elegance. I figure I'll get another silver one, eventually, but not until they resolve our collective grief for the cup holder issue
Old 03-05-2013, 11:31 PM

Don't sweat it! Meaning, I didn't interpret your comments as a lecture, not at all. Trust me, my wife (the conservative counterpart) doesn't give a rat's *** about cars and thinks I'm nuts but she certainly respects my passion for them (and watches, too...lol). So I naturally find myself rationalizing/defending my garage contents on a regular basis

Gas is getting ridiculously expensive out here lately. And yet the price of crude oil is soft...such a racket! Thankfully my daily commute is 20 miles round trip, so I throttle it whenever an open lane permits. FYI, 90 octane is running at about $4.40 everywhere in the greater Bay Area as of now!

You're spot on regarding silver, timeless and certainly MB's flagship color of elegance. I figure I'll get another silver one, eventually, but not until they resolve our collective grief for the cup holder issue
Can't stand the cupholder issue. Probably bothers me more than the dent. My solution so far is my wife is my cup holder and if she's not in the car, only water bottles with the sports cap. I can fit that behind me in the two holders for the rear passengers or in the net.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:48 PM

2013 G63
Can't stand the cupholder issue. Probably bothers me more than the dent. My solution so far is my wife is my cup holder and if she's not in the car, only water bottles with the sports cap. I can fit that behind me in the two holders for the rear passengers or in the net.
Classic. Same here. Water only, food not allowed in my G. On any given day I can re-assemble an entire Happy Meal inside my wife's GL if I look hard enough!

I had a similar/nearly identical dent as yours on my first G55, from the transport, after waiting nearly 2 weeks for it to arrive from Florida. Needless to say I was pissed! The paintless dent repair guy fixed it without any hassles/issues in less than an hour. You're going to be fine with that.

And I still expect some more pics when you get it resolved and detailed!

Congrats again, absolutely stunning configuration.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:20 AM

2013 G63, 2015 S500, 2016 C63 coupe
not sure if mine is an issue or not. Filled up the car last week. Heard the click from the nozzle, started the car, the gauge was 3/4 full... hmmm
Old 03-06-2013, 04:55 AM

2013 G 63 AMG
This has happened to me 3 times, but restarting the car fixes it. When it does happen, cruise control also stops working which is annoying. I'll have it checked at the next service.

Yesterday the sunroof started making a loud grinding sound...have had this on all my G-wagons but never so early in ownership. I'll send her off for a full checkup next week and hopefully get both issues resolved...if they can replicate the ESP problem.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyg
This has happened to me 3 times, but restarting the car fixes it. When it does happen, cruise control also stops working which is annoying. I'll have it checked at the next service.

Yesterday the sunroof started making a loud grinding sound...have had this on all my G-wagons but never so early in ownership. I'll send her off for a full checkup next week and hopefully get both issues resolved...if they can replicate the ESP problem.
Were you able to notice any similarities in driving style or traffic when the ESP defective light came on? When it happened to me I was on Sunrise highway here in NY and it was constant stop and go. Tons of traffics lights so a lot of accelerating and braking. I think this is the only time I was in such a driving scenario. Just curious if there was a pattern.

The sunroof noise could be extremely irritating. I hadn't opened mine yet being in winter here but I think I will next time I get in the car.

Somewhat irritating to have these little bugs but I guess that's the price we pay for being first in line. But starting to make me feel like I own a Range Rover.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:29 PM

Classic. Same here. Water only, food not allowed in my G. On any given day I can re-assemble an entire Happy Meal inside my wife's GL if I look hard enough!

I had a similar/nearly identical dent as yours on my first G55, from the transport, after waiting nearly 2 weeks for it to arrive from Florida. Needless to say I was pissed! The paintless dent repair guy fixed it without any hassles/issues in less than an hour. You're going to be fine with that.

And I still expect some more pics when you get it resolved and detailed!

Congrats again, absolutely stunning configuration.
I had picked up my best friend from the airport and he was traveling from London with his wife and 2 year old. Mercifully I let them eat in the car but afterwards found a large chunk of bread between the rear seats. I thought it was funny.

Good to hear on the dent and how easily it was to repair. I would hope it would be equally easy even with the matte paint. I will go have it looked at next week. Want to drive the car a bit and see if any other bugs come out and have everything checked out together so I'm not running back and forth and without the car for longer than necessary
Old 03-06-2013, 05:23 PM

993 TT
G's are fairly common in San Francisco but still rare on the whole. I drive about 6mi to work each day and I see no fewer than 3 every day (same ones). And I've seen upward of 6 at times. Many driven by women. I was stopped the other day by a woman who wanted to know how it was to drive as she had just left the dealer after they wouldn't let her test drive the car. There are 2 Gs that I see in commute each day are 15+ years old classic beaters. Another is a 2011 white four door convertible G55. I'd say 50/50 on getting the drive by eye-contact / wave. Most people drive these out of a passion. I've still not seen a G63 on the road here in SF.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:26 PM

G's are fairly common in San Francisco but still rare on the whole. I drive about 6mi to work each day and I see no fewer than 3 every day (same ones). And I've seen upward of 6 at times. Many driven by women. I was stopped the other day by a woman who wanted to know how it was to drive as she had just left the dealer after they wouldn't let her test drive the car. There are 2 Gs that I see in commute each day are 15+ years old classic beaters. Another is a 2011 white four door convertible G55. I'd say 50/50 on getting the drive by eye-contact / wave. Most people drive these out of a passion. I've still not seen a G63 on the road here in SF.
I think it's the most ridiculous thing when dealerships won't let you test drive a car. I can maybe understand when we are in rare supercar territory like a Veyron, LFA, etc. But on a fairly common car like a g63 it is crazy. I can accept it if the only car they have is sold but if its on the lot and part of inventory how could you expect a customer to buy the car without test driving it? I had this come up twice, once with a c63 coupe when it first came out and the salesman said no test drives unless you put a "significant deposit" on the car. I left and found another dealer that said no problem. The same was when I was waiting on my g63 and wanted to drive it at another dealership. No test drives. The car was not sold, it was in the showroom.

Like I said in an earlier post, I see a lot of G's here. A lot are driven by women and older men. When I bought my '03 g500 back in 2005, I used to get waves and high beam flashes when passing another G. But I haven't gotten that recently. I think G's are still rare here compared to other MB models, you can shut your eyes and point and probably find either a c, ml or GL. S550 are common but they are mostly chauffeured for the executives.

In the g63 I get a few cars that pull up beside me on the highway and keep pace but I think the majority of people probably just think its another G.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:30 AM

Just an update about the "dent" for those who are interested. I went to MB Manhattan today to have it looked at. The dent is actually a weld mark from the factory. There are also rivets showing that I couldn't see at first but after they were pointed out, I see them. This is obviously from the factory.

Their dent professional can't touch it, he said he would make it worse. The body shop said it's not worth fixing right now, and to wait til there was some other damage before fixing it together because it would require a whole roof repaint. I happen to agree with them about that, but I am pissed at Mercedes.

How such an obvious cosmetic defect wasn't caught somewhere along the production line or QC check is beyond me. The dent is painfully obvious and the rivet in an indoor light is just as obvious. I will admit I didn't catch the rivets right away but I did catch the weld mark.

This is unacceptable in my opinion on any car but on this specific configuration that cost as much as it did is ridiculous.

My dealer is taking over and going to speak with their MB reps about this, not sure what to expect from it all but it is irritating to say the least.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:31 PM

993 TT
Oy vey. I'd just get it fixed from a reputable shop at MBs expense and ask for some compensation (free service visits for the first 24 months of maintenance). Truth is that it is on the roof; hardly visible and probably the most optimal place to have such damage. But it is ridiculous that this slipped through all the checks along the way especially considering that you already had a delay the first go-around on color. Make sure this doesn't impact your carfax either.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G63 issues