Thinking of purchasing a 2016 G63, feedback please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 03:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 MB CLK Black Series
Thinking of purchasing a 2016 G63, feedback please

All
I'm considering finally ordering a new G63, I have long admired the G line up and believe in the long run, the design and lines will withstand the test of time and always be desirable.

I felt the same way when I purchased my Porsche, 993 TT, and I believe it's the best model in the Porsche TT line up.

This will only be a weekend car and short three day getaways, no more then a 5 hour drives and the occasional trip into SF to my office.

My concerns, are:
-is the ride too rough for long drives
- I've heard the ride can beat you up after 2 hours and it's not comfortable
-I'm concerned because I see many up for sale after only a year or less of ownership with very low miles
-a bit ostentatious

Those are really my only concerns. I was able to test drive a new 2015 and I couldn't get comfortable because there seemed to be a poorly placed support in the lower back, even after deflating 100%. Oddly, when I drove a preowned G63 with the same upgraded leather (diamond stitched inserts), it was very comfortable.

I currently own three weekend cars (Ford Raptor w/ a factory installed Roush Supercharger 590/590 11,00 miles, a 2008 Mercedes Benz CLK Black Series with 2,200 miles and a 1997 Porsche TT with 23,00 miles), and health reasons forces me to sell all, which is why I'm looking at the G63. My thoughts, are, this would severe a lot of purposes (accommodate my 140lbs Bernese Mt Dog, straight line acceleration and exhaust notes, not to mention, stunning looks both interior and exterior). The other SUV I'm considering, is Range River SVR, it does everything the G does, plus added cornering performance and more comfortable.

Anyway, thought I would provide the full story to get some feed feedback.

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:40 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
G63,GT
Rough ride -

in sport mode? Yes. In comfort? My wife seems to be anle to tell the difference. But me, sport mode is the first thing i do after fire up.

I hear it can beat you up after 2 hours -

Well, it is a body-on-frame truck. But, i think its fine. Sure the RR would be more supple, but the g63 is not a RR (have plenty of seat time in that as well).

Concerned about seeing these up for sale a year old -

Yes, however the average buyer has a high net worth. They cycle through cars much faster than those buying a c250. Same thing with a rolls or bently. Lots of low mileage 14's. However, look at the price. Find me a g63 for less than $110k. Even a 2013. Thats only a 20% depreciation after 2 years regardless of mileage. ****, i sold my 2009 g550 for $75k in may! Now play the same game with a 2013 range rover

The g63 is an awesome, timeless vehicle. Get a new one, keep it clean; and enjoy it. You wont regret it.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-07-2015, 12:17 AM

2008 MB CLK Black Series
Thank you for the reply. All really good points and feedback.

Another quick question, have you developed and squeaks or rattles?

One of the reasons I went with a Ford Raptor, is, it's known to remain tight and and over time it doesn't rattle, which is what I'm hoping for with the G63.
Thanks.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
n/a
Do it

I've got a 2015 in matte black, diamond stiched interior, and carbon fiber trim. It's sick.

Ride is not luxurious like a RR. It feels and drives like a truck. I test drive the RR and if all I did was long trips I'd go that route. But I couldn't get over the look of the RR. Looked like a minivan to me.

It feels bullet proof and built like a tank. When you close the doors you'll know what I mean. Build quality is a 10/10.

Like the other guy said, people that buy these cars usually get bored quick. But you'll see that the G holds its value. I think there was an article that even listed it as one of the cars that has the least depreciation.

And the best part is that it can do work.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:22 AM

2008 MB CLK Black Series
Thanks for the feedback profunctional

How many miles do you have on your G63 and have you devolved any rattles or squeaks?
Old 08-08-2015, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G63
had a 2011 G550 and now 2014 G63, love it. Def is a rougher ride than a Range Rover and the handling is not its strong point. Straight line and highway it pulls with tremendous power

I'm in new york and the rocks from the winter have destroyed my windshield due to the near 90 degree angle.

Its a very polarizing SUV (i find it either love or hate), but it puts a smile on my face everyday.

Good luck!
Old 08-10-2015, 04:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G550, G65, Conti GT V8S
Originally Posted by profunctional
I've got a 2015 in matte black, diamond stiched interior, and carbon fiber trim. It's sick. Ride is not luxurious like a RR. It feels and drives like a truck. I test drive the RR and if all I did was long trips I'd go that route. But I couldn't get over the look of the RR. Looked like a minivan to me. It feels bullet proof and built like a tank. When you close the doors you'll know what I mean. Build quality is a 10/10. Like the other guy said, people that buy these cars usually get bored quick. But you'll see that the G holds its value. I think there was an article that even listed it as one of the cars that has the least depreciation. And the best part is that it can do work.
Profunctional how has your experience been with the matte paint?

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2015, 07:54 PM

2008 MB CLK Black Series
How many miles do you have on your G63 and have you devolved any rattles or squeaks?
Old 08-11-2015, 09:58 AM

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
2012 C63BS 2009 Ferrari 16M 2016 Cayenne turbo S 2019 G63
Originally Posted by toddturbos
Most squeaks and rattles are from the door hinges which dry out. MB is aware of this and will grease all hinges to include rear door with 2 types of grease.
Mine was taken care of and it worked 100%
Old 08-11-2015, 11:39 AM

997.2 GT4S
Exclamation Love/Hate Relationship

I hate to bash the truck and hurt my resale, but the buyer should beware. My 2014 is coming up on a 1 year anniversary and 5K miles

Looks - cool as sh-t. I get more looks and comments than I ever got with any of my Porsches, Rovers, etc.

Inside styling and functionality - great, but not nearly as nice or functional as Range Rover. Complicated command system, and stupid screen that looks ridiculous plopped on top of the dash. Vinyl door panels seem cheap compared to even MB other SUVs let alone the competition.

Comfort - not at all. One would think for all that money, with the fancy upgraded seats that they would be comfortable. They are not. If you are taller (anything over 5 10 I would say), then you may have an issue with leg room, and the ability to get the seat to support your thighs. After an hour or so in the car you start fidgeting trying desperately to find a position that won't leave you suffering later in the day. My wife, who is tiny seams to have no issue though. I can't quite figure out why with all the room inside the truck that you can't put the seat back further.

Now here is the annoying part - CONSTANT electronically issues. intermittent blinker bulbs not functioning. warning message on dash. Goes away when you turn off ignition and restart. After dealer insisted it was just bad bulbs, finally got them to admit 2 months ago it was a programming issue, but MB hadn't come out with a fix yet. Intermittent "ESP Failure" messages. Again, turn off/on and error goes away. Car is at the dealer now supposedly they have the software update to resolve both these issues.

MBRACE - useless garbage, but failed, and needed to be replaced (don't waste your time, a 2400 baud dial up modem was faster 25 years ago). SatNav - Failed and has to be replaced.

So I ask you, for $150K, should anyone have to put up with this? I am just fortunate enough that I don't need the car on a daily basis.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:30 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
2006 C55
Ostentatious? Of course, it's a G

Bulletproof car, built like a tank as others have said. I've had the pleasure to ride in only a 550 but it was pretty nice. Three hour road trip and It was comfy.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
n/a
Matte paints just require that you wash frequently. I use a soap from chemical guys specific for matte paints. Don't let dirt linger on the surface for too long and that is the same of any car.

I garage all my cars so it's not much of an issue.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:42 PM

2008 MB CLK Black Series
Thanks all for the feedback. Discouraging to hear all the issues nycc4s is having. I want this G63 to work, but the worse thing would be to get the G and not be comfortable. I did find it odd to drive both a brand new G and and preowned one with 5k miles and the seat in the used one was comfortable, but not in the new one.

I too have drive a new non "g63", it is more comfortable

Great feedback.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
G63,GT
Best combo: g63 with brabus ride control!
Attached Thumbnails Thinking of purchasing a 2016 G63, feedback please-image.jpg  
Old 08-14-2015, 12:20 AM

2008 MB CLK Black Series
Nice
Old 08-15-2015, 09:01 PM

2008 MB CLK Black Series
If anyone else can chime in on current miles drive and any rattles or squeaks that might have devolved I'd appreciate it.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 g63, 2018 488 spider,2019g63, 2016 cayenne turbo s, 2015 458 speciale, 2010Ghost,2019 812
I have a 2013 G63 with 8300 miles on it. It was one of the first ones in the U.S. when we purchased it in 2012 and there were some initial kinks to work out as far as various error lights. The last 2k miles have been error free after many software updates and changing out of some sensors. The truck is still rattle free with no squeaks. My wife drives it primarily and loves it. She refuses to even discuss getting another suv.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:59 PM

2003 G55 AMG
If you are down to deciding between a G63 and Range Rover, Your main question to me seems like comfort and especially for long drives. I personally don't mind the roughness the G comes with however that you will endure many times, all comes down to pavement you drive on, if the road has cracks, holes, dips, and humps, you will feel them, and if its smooth you will love to rev up the engine and go faster. However keep in mind that the car was built to take on hard terrain and because they use spring coil instead of air suspension like Range Rovers, the ride will be way different between the two, mechanical issues between the G and the Range Rover will be the same, the risk of having expensive repairs are equal, I have both, and my gear box on the Range Rover died costing me a lot of $$$. However the comfort with the G is improving, they do use more comfortable shocks than before, I am 6 foot and weigh 220, and leg space or any space in general hasn't been an issue, plenty of room and the diamond seats are amazing. Honestly I believe there is also luck involved with what issues you may or may not have with the G. Rattling will happen eventually, there is never a given time to expect it, but for the doors that experience rattling, I've replaced the striker bolts for that, another issue I've seen people complain about is wind noise, its normal, and will happen in strong wind or even in less wind, and this is cause the gaps between the door and the body is fairly wide compared to a Range Rover, and the air gets to blow in there sometimes causing wind noise. If you are really passionate about the G as I am, you will get over the baggage which comes with owning one, however if you want something comfortable overall, the Range Rover would be your pick. I hope this helps you in deciding the best car choice for you.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:22 AM

G63
Hi

I have 2015 G63 and driven the truck only 1800miles. I am very disappointed about the paint issues I am having. The paint at the seam below the windshield started to crack, and I have also noticed the paint started to crack at the seams near the rear side windows. It seems like this is a common issue on all the G Class. In fact, I have seen several G63s with paint defects at the seams. I reported this matter to my local dealership and awaiting their feedback now.

Thinking of purchasing a 2016 G63, feedback please-image_zpswfsdi1vt.jpg

Thinking of purchasing a 2016 G63, feedback please-image_zpsp2rva5oi.jpg

Thinking of purchasing a 2016 G63, feedback please-image_zpsrqd5zfp9.jpg

Last edited by 2015G63; 09-21-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 Mercedes SLS, 2014 Mercedes SLS Black Series, 2014 E63S, 2013 S550, 2012 ML63, 2013 C250
We are getting rid of our 2014 G63 because we are getting the new G65. Maybe that's why you see others for sale too.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:48 AM

G63
I would like to get input or feedback from G class owners whether they have noticed any paint defect or cracks at the body seams similar to what I posted. I believe it is an inherent issue in all G class trucks
Old 09-22-2015, 01:41 PM

Received 135 Likes on 111 Posts
993 TT
My 2010 G55 is having paint issues right below the window on the drivers side. Little bubbles of paint with rust underneath. taking to dealer to see if covered under a warranty for corrosion. Prob not.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
04 SL55, 16 GTs, 17 GLS 63
I've had my G63 for a little over a year now, just over 3,000 miles. The G and the Rover are two completely different animals. The G is very raw and in my opinion, somewhat unrefined for a vehicle at this price point. Acceleration is mind blowing for its size, it handles pretty great for being so boxy, and sounds awesome!!! Also, one thing I notice is that the G draws a lot of attention. I see ppl taking pics and videos of me all the time when I'm driving.
As far as comfort? I don't think its very comfortable at all. I have a hard time getting my seat and wheel adjusted every time i get into it. I don't drive it all that much obviously, I have a couple of other cars that I dd, Audi S8 being my all time favorite to take on long trips. I think it rides pretty rough, starting to notice a couple of squeaks from the back door but we got rear ended when I first bought the truck so I don't know if its because of that or not. Damage was very minor but had the rear door replaced and the shop did do a fantastic job.
I am actually contemplating trading the G63 in for a Range Rover now, not because of the rough ride or squeaks, but because we have a newborn and lifting the car seat in and out of the G is a little cumbersome for my wife. Not to mention rear seat room isn't that great either, we have to move the front seat pretty far forward just to fit her in.
So to sum it all up, its just a matter of what you like more. Initially I wanted a RR and ended up with the G partly because the salesman at RR was an *** which made me leave, and partly because the G is just so cool to look at. They're both going to have pro's and con's, but in the end they are high end vehicles and both will make you happy!
Old 12-16-2015, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S55 AMG
I'll be picking up a G63 in a few days and it will be a supplement to my RR SVR. the RR SVR is surprisingly comfortable with its race seats. I've done 7 hour trips with no issues regarding comfort. The SVR set the Nurburgring lap record for an SUV for a short time before ousted by the CTS shortly after. So it will be hard to beat the RR.
However, I'm looking at the G more as a fun ride and also a car that will hopefully hold value while putting miles on it.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:45 PM

2006 CLS500 1975 MB 240D 1995 Range Rover Classic 2000 ML55 AMG 2003 C32 AMG 2000 BMW M Roadster
PM sent! Have fun with the search!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking of purchasing a 2016 G63, feedback please