Sponsored by:

9 Ways to Enhance Your G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 G63
9 Ways to Enhance Your G

I just took delivery of a 2005 G55. This is my 5th G, actually 6 if I count the '03 G55 that I returned after 3-weeks of suspension torture. The '05 G55 is remarkable, very fast, improved steering and only moderately stiffer suspension than my last G500.

With each G there are a number of subtle changes you can make to add to the enjoyment of this already incredible vehicle. Here is my top 10 list:

1. Remove the decals. I found 10 in all and they easily come off if heated slightly with a hair-dryer. Only 1 had a little residue, removed with solvent.

2. Remove the abrasive rear bumper stepping strips. These peel off easily and there is nice paint beneath. Whoever stands on the bumper, anyway?

3. Remove the back center headrest. This improves rear visibility and it is easily re-installed if you have 3 occupants in the back seat.

4. Remove the rear floor mounted cup-holder. Just 2-screws and you have more center foot room. Shouldn't permit drinks in your Benz, anyway.

5. Locate and use the hidden storage compartment just behind the cup-holder you just removed. It lifts up from either side. Few know it exists.

6. Replace wiper blades. The factory ones are smaller than can be fitted so why not have a larger area clear of rain? Get Bosch 18" for the left, 17" for the right. Then take one of the 16" that you removed, from the front, and swap it for the 15" that's on the rear window. Total cost, under $15.00.

7. Replace the single back-up 21W light with a 50W bulb. For even more back-up lighting, buy a replacement plastic back-up lens and swap it for the red fog light on the left side of the bumper, running a new wire from the right side unit. No one uses the red rear fog light that you can't activate anyway if you use your headlights in the automatic on/off mode.

8. Improve front lighting with brighter bulbs. It is easy to remove the headlight surround with 2 screws at the bottom of the cover. It's a little tricky since the cover has two clips at the top and you have to deal with the washer hose. Once off, remove the inner headlight assembly itself and swap out the bulbs. I use 100/80 Watt in place of the 55/55. Don't go brighter than 100/80 unless you get special wiring or you can overload.

9. Frequently check tire pressures. My G arrived with 42 lbs where it calls for 32. Ride is severely affected by tire pressure so be sure you have at least the minimum cold pressure noted inside the fuel door.

Hope you enjoy these hints and your G more than before.

Last edited by dharrar; 12-31-2004 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
those are some great suggestions!! i literally just got back from my local benz dealer where they have a brand new 2005 black on black g55 kompressor for sale. there asking 103k and im seriously considering it, he said they have a white one on the way that had been ordered by pro golfer mike weir and there was a tectrite grey one i looked at in the back that had already been bought. as i sat in the car i couldnt believe how big and solid it felt, it was like sitting in a vault! i havent driven it yet but i cant comprehend that it can move as fast as ive heard being that freaking huge! ps the tire and rims that come on these things look so damn good
Old 01-01-2005, 06:29 PM

c43
also if you go ahead and buy the extra wood panels it will really help the look of your g, furthermore, if you buy all the brabus gear ie brush gard and all that good stuff, it really adds an agressive look to the car, and turns it from soccer mom car, to a really agressive benz... and as for power, if you really want it go with kleeman kit because it is even faster than the v12 conversion
Old 01-02-2005, 01:23 AM

2005 SL65
dharrar...

i'm from washington square in center city.

approximately where in the suburbs are you located?

regarding the G55, i carefully considered it since it was introduced. until 2005, it didn't have a full set of airbags. my GF bugged me each time i thought aloud about getting the thing. i relented...knowing she had the right idea.

now, i'm in the southeast a great deal. the streets typically are far less challenging for my CLK55's suspension.

i wish there were a good enough reason to get a G...

i read somewhere that the standard tires are not particularly good on snow. have you had experience yet?

david
Old 01-14-2005, 04:36 PM

Thumbs up

Great tips!!

I printed them off and am going to get them done this weekend.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:44 AM

ML55
are xenon headlamps doable? hear they were, but not sure if that's true and how it can be done....any idea?
Old 02-01-2005, 11:59 PM

66 230S 111.010 02 G500 463
11: Remove the rear tire, put it in the back. Use stainless steel washers, bolts, and rubber gromments to seal the 3 holes. Much better view, no more dented tire covers from morons hitting it. Punks can't steal the tire as easily.
12: Remove the star in the grill, replace it with a Puch logo.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:01 AM

66 230S 111.010 02 G500 463
Originally Posted by Ashkan's C280
also if you go ahead and buy the extra wood panels it will really help the look of your g, furthermore, if you buy all the brabus gear ie brush gard and all that good stuff, it really adds an agressive look to the car, and turns it from soccer mom car, to a really agressive benz... and as for power, if you really want it go with kleeman kit because it is even faster than the v12 conversion
Not on a G -

That chrome crap just doesn't belong.

Less is more.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:54 AM

ML63
Originally Posted by dharrar
8. Improve front lighting with brighter bulbs... use 100/80 Watt in place of the 55/55. Don't go brighter than 100/80 unless you get special wiring or you can overload.
Which specific brand of bulb did you get? Part #? Approx. cost? Thank you.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:33 PM

2019 G63
Alternative Bulbs for G55

I have been purchasing lamps from Competition Limited for more than 10 years. Their website is www.hioutputbulbs.com and phone 877-725-5954. You want style H-4 in the 80/100 size. These are available in a variety of lamp colors. Personally I prefer the H-4Q in Clear at $13.95 each. Order 3, giving you a spare, and they take 10% off!

Take care removing the headlight trim. You want to only loosen the 2 phillips screws recessed in the base. Then you have to finagle the assembly to get it off since the rubber hose to the washers interferes a bit. Once off, you need to remove 3 screws that hold the glass headlight assembly. Then it is easy to pull the wiring connector off, remove the rubber cover and swap the bulb. Replace in reverse order but it is a little tricky to but the trim back. There are 2 clips at the top that must be "caught" before retightening the 2 screws in the base.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:00 PM

ML63
dharrar: Thank you for the helpful info.