G63 AMG (W464) Discuss the G63 AMG.

I'm New to G-Wagons. I just got a brand new 2024 G63. Need advice from the veterans.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2023, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
g63
I'm New to G-Wagons. I just got a brand new 2024 G63. Need advice from the veterans.

Hey all. I'm new to gwagons and I finally got a 2024 G63. Had to pay 20K over MSRP for it. I live in Los Angeles and I got a "premium color" if that matters.

It's just hard to strike up a deal when theress no shortage of people willing to pay over msrp for the car they want.

My question is other than getting ceramic coating to protect the paint what are some other things new owners like myself should do and know?
Old 12-20-2023, 11:50 AM
SLS

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
1998 Land Cruiser, 2003 SL500, 2024 G63
We purchased a G63 from a Cali dealer and are having it shipped to Texas. Then will apply full PPF (Paint Protection Film), then ceramic coat over that. Also will do window tinting and then also apply a window protection film to the windshield, on the outside. I've been told that the steep angle of the windshield makes it more prone to getting projectile damage. I don't like replacing windshields, as they always use an inferior OEM glass (on other cars) and try to reuse the seal that goes around. So better to just have the windshield last. The tinting is to reject 85% of the heat entering the vehicle, so will apply clear or just a slight tint to the windows that are already tinted, for the heat rejection. Thinking about also doing the undercarriage. If you have a magno color, we purchased the magno Copper Orange, a full wrap is best as it's really hard to repaint a panel and get the color to match with the rest of the vehicle. You can't just buff out a scratch, the whole panel has to be repainted. If you have a non Magno color, you could just do say the front, hood, fender flairs, mirrors, etc.

Prices I've been quoted are $12,000 full wrap, cutting around the trim pieces. $15,000 full wrap, disassembling the vehicle, wrapping, and putting it back together.
Partial wrap I've been quoted around $3,000.
TommyTrojan on the site just purchased a new Magno Copper Orange and had a full wrap done at an XPEL corporate location, (not a dealer). He was able to get the full wrap done for $9,000 which from what I am finding, is a great deal.
Old 12-20-2023, 05:42 PM

Received 107 Likes on 91 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
My other cars were $6-$8k for full PPF, either stealth or clear. G63 was $12-15k quotes so I passed.
Tint was $1,200 for the nano-ceramic best heat rejection.
The front windshield, I don't like how it's not crystal clear - so I purchased insurance for the windshield (outside of my regular car insurance). This way, it doesn't impact my car premiums if I file a claim.

My friend paid $25k over in LA for hers, and she was "lucky" to even get it as the original buyer backed out. This was about 6 months ago.

If you intend to keep it, get the extended warranty and pre-paid maintenance from MBUSA. You can negotiate the extended warranty but the pre-paid there isn't much room.
Old 12-21-2023, 12:07 AM
SLS

Originally Posted by Chedman13
My other cars were $6-$8k for full PPF, either stealth or clear. G63 was $12-15k quotes so I passed.
The front windshield, I don't like how it's not crystal clear - so I purchased insurance for the windshield (outside of my regular car insurance). This way, it doesn't impact my car premiums if I file a claim.

My friend paid $25k over in LA for hers, and she was "lucky" to even get it as the original buyer backed out. This was about 6 months ago.

If you intend to keep it, get the extended warranty and pre-paid maintenance from MBUSA. You can negotiate the extended warranty but the pre-paid there isn't much room.
I was told that you cannot purchase an extended warrantee for a G63. If the dealer is incorrect, not sure how to go about this.

I was at the dealership today and they said I could purchase an extended warrantee. So edited to reflect this.

Last edited by SLS; 12-23-2023 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-23-2023, 12:26 PM

g63
Originally Posted by SLS
We purchased a G63 from a Cali dealer and are having it shipped to Texas. Then will apply full PPF (Paint Protection Film), then ceramic coat over that. Also will do window tinting and then also apply a window protection film to the windshield, on the outside. I've been told that the steep angle of the windshield makes it more prone to getting projectile damage. I don't like replacing windshields, as they always use an inferior OEM glass (on other cars) and try to reuse the seal that goes around. So better to just have the windshield last. The tinting is to reject 85% of the heat entering the vehicle, so will apply clear or just a slight tint to the windows that are already tinted, for the heat rejection. Thinking about also doing the undercarriage. If you have a magno color, we purchased the magno Copper Orange, a full wrap is best as it's really hard to repaint a panel and get the color to match with the rest of the vehicle. You can't just buff out a scratch, the whole panel has to be repainted. If you have a non Magno color, you could just do say the front, hood, fender flairs, mirrors, etc.

Prices I've been quoted are $12,000 full wrap, cutting around the trim pieces. $15,000 full wrap, disassembling the vehicle, wrapping, and putting it back together.
Partial wrap I've been quoted around $3,000.
TommyTrojan on the site just purchased a new Magno Copper Orange and had a full wrap done at an XPEL corporate location, (not a dealer). He was able to get the full wrap done for $9,000 which from what I am finding, is a great deal.
thanks for the info !

to be clear you are going to do a PPF, then a ceramic coat and thern you will do a clear wrap over it?

why is the pff and ceramic necessary if you are doing the wrap over it?

Old 12-23-2023, 12:27 PM

g63
Originally Posted by Chedman13

all great info. so all you did was the $1,200 nano-ceramic coat and a windshield insurance?
btw when you say your friend paid 25k over for hers, what color did she get?

and how much over msrp did you pay on yours?
Old 12-23-2023, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by SLS
I was told that you cannot purchase an extended warrantee for a G63. If the dealer is incorrect, not sure how to go about this.
The factory Mercedes-Benz Extended Limited Warranty (ELW) as I was told by my local Mercedes-Benz Finance and Insurance (F&I) manager is only available to the original owner. So to get the MB ELW, the original owner would have to purchase it before selling you the car, then transfer the ELW to you.

The only other option is to buy a CPO Mercedes, then you can purchase a CPO ELW.

There are very few aftermarket warranties that even quote the G550/G63, even less than I would trust to pay a claim. My friend is the GM of a dealership and was able to find me a warranty and it has paid for itself within the first 6 months. If you are interested, you can PM me and I'll put you into contact with the dealership (this is a franchised dealership, not a used car dealership, so you can feel safe it's legit).

The M177 has everything packed in so tightly, it takes a lot of labor hours to repair a simple task such as a thermostat replacement (and they are well known to go out on the M177). It's not as bad as say a Bentley Continental GT which some models require an engine out to replace a starter motor though.
Old 12-23-2023, 12:54 PM

If you want to do it right and want it as perfect as possible:
1) Paint correction (even if brand new)
2) PPF
3) Ceramic coat - but have to wait until PPF is cured and timing varies on weather conditions and exposure to UV/sunlight

What I personally did was no paint correct, stealth (matte) PPF, then 5-7 year ceramic coat made specifically for matte PPF.

I'm not sure about PPF and wraps, but wraps are very thin and don't protect against dings like PPF. I'm not sure if a wrap would stick to a PPF. If you ceramic coated a PPF, a wrap would definitely not stick to it.

Originally Posted by g63losangeles
thanks for the info !

to be clear you are going to do a PPF, then a ceramic coat and thern you will do a clear wrap over it?

Old 12-23-2023, 01:03 PM

She got matte black (forget the official name of the paint color) and red leather interior.

For my G63? No PPF, no ceramic coating. I have a car wash membership and wash the car every few days or weekly. PPF would be great, but not worth it to me right now. The ceramic coating would be taken off by the car wash so no point in doing that either.

Xpel PRIME XR PLUS (https://www.xpel.com/web-assets/down...t-USA-V2-1.pdf) will cost you about $1,200 to do all windows including front windshield.

Windshield insurance was one of the included insurances when I bought the wheel, tire, lost key, windshield package. It was $1,000 I think for 7 years and a no brainer. When I file a claim for that (which I have in the past for my other cars), it caused no impact to my insurance (home/auto/etc.). I do have full glass cover for my auto insurance, but don't use it. I never file claim with that and pay out of pocket unless it's over 10k.

I bought mine used, 2nd owner. My local dealership wanted $50,000, then down to $25k after being on a wait list for 2 years. So I went the used market route.

Get the extended warranty, these are issues with most M177's:
1) Air/oil separators clog and cause the rear main seal to fail
2) thermostat fails
3) engine valve cover leaks and fills the spark plug wells with oil
4) other engine oil leaks

This is from my G63 (43k miles now) and my friend's G63 (70k miles), we both experienced the same issues. Both are 2019's.

all great info. so all you did was the $1,200 nano-ceramic coat and a windshield insurance?
btw when you say your friend paid 25k over for hers, what color did she get?

and how much over msrp did you pay on yours?
The following users liked this post:
Mbracer26 (12-31-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 07:22 PM
SLS

thanks for the info !

PPF and ceramic coat on that. No wrap. I'm loving our Magno Copper Orange as is! The PPF is the wrap so to speak.

Just flew out and signed the papers. It will be shipped to TX, hopefully next week. So haven't done anything to it yet.

$15k over for Magno Copper Orange, a limited release color on the base G63. It is a color option on the 4x4 squared. Could have purchased the Red one at MSRP. It is sold now.

Our new Magno Copper Orange, waiting to be shipped to Texas.

Last edited by SLS; 12-23-2023 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Add photo
The following 3 users liked this post by SLS:
chassis (12-31-2023), hyperion667 (12-31-2023), Substanz (12-28-2023)
Old 12-24-2023, 10:05 AM

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts
GLC AMG 63

Paint Moonlight White Magno, no need to paint correct and no need to paint correct matte paint. Car has full PPF and ceramic coating, and the front windshield is covered and yes you will get chips. Driving this tank on the inter-state above 70 MPH you will be amazing at what hits the windshield. I got a chip with protection, and guess it could have been worse and I just left it as a beauty mark. Love the vehicle, and after you drive it a lot you will car less about the chips and things as they will be minor in details. The shape of the vehicle attracts stones and stuff.
The following 3 users liked this post by Maverick787:
peejalino (01-08-2024), SLS (12-24-2023), Substanz (12-28-2023)
Old 12-24-2023, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 414 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by Maverick787
Paint Moonlight White Magno, no need to paint correct and no need to paint correct matte paint. Car has full PPF and ceramic coating, and the front windshield is covered and yes you will get chips. Driving this tank on the inter-state above 70 MPH you will be amazing at what hits the windshield. I got a chip with protection, and guess it could have been worse and I just left it as a beauty mark. Love the vehicle, and after you drive it a lot you will car less about the chips and things as they will be minor in details. The shape of the vehicle attracts stones and stuff.
When you say windshield is covered, do you mean it has insurance coverage or that it has a windshield protection film? Just curious.
Old 12-24-2023, 10:38 AM

GLC AMG 63
It covered with protection film.
wildta (12-24-2023)
Old 12-24-2023, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
It covered with protection film.
Thanks. What brand and what's the durability of it? How long have you had it and any issues with the wipers on the film?
Old 12-24-2023, 10:44 AM

GLC AMG 63
Originally Posted by wildta
Thanks. What brand and what's the durability of it? How long have you had it and any issues with the wipers on the film?
Sorry not sure of brand ……………car is 2 years old 12k miles and honestly it’s done what it should taken the stone beating. Overall I’m satisfied with all that was done to the car.
wildta (12-24-2023)
Old 12-24-2023, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Sorry not sure of brand ……………car is 2 years old 12k miles and honestly it’s done what it should taken the stone beating. Overall I’m satisfied with all that was done to the car.
If you ever figure out the brand of the windshield protection, please do keep us posted. Also love the sharp contrast of your G with the white and black. Your tint almost looks limo black from that angle and lighting.
Maverick787 (12-24-2023)
Old 12-24-2023, 03:42 PM
SLS

By chance, could you dig up the receipt for that? Maybe it would list the brands for your PPF, tint and windshield protection? Also curious as to what % of tint was used. Looks really nice.
Maverick787 (12-24-2023)
Old 12-25-2023, 09:18 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Clearplex is what I used on a couple of my G63's. There are a couple different brands. Just ask either your tint or PPF shop.

If you don't have matte finish paint, always have it paint corrected before installing PPF. Ceramic coating on top of the PPF will help a lot with multiple things. If the whole G is not getting PPF, I would definitely do the whole front end, pillars, all fender flares, and door cups. I have used all my G63's (lifted and stock height) Offroad. Both PPF and Ceramic Coating helps a lot.
SLS (12-25-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 12:22 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
G
I still think PFF is just a waste, in particular for a car like the G. Nothing wrong with rock chips on something that's meant to be used regularly. Also, think about how long you're going to keep the G63 and the cost for that period of time.
Old 12-29-2023, 07:55 PM
SLS

Originally Posted by nt927
I still think PFF is just a waste, in particular for a car like the G. Nothing wrong with rock chips on something that's meant to be used regularly. Also, think about how long you're going to keep the G63 and the cost for that period of time.
Certainly, length of ownership plays into the equation, if money is a factor. Personally, if there is a way for me to protect against rock chips, I will do it.
Old 12-29-2023, 09:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
G
Originally Posted by SLS
Certainly, length of ownership plays into the equation, if money is a factor. Personally, if there is a way for me to protect against rock chips, I will do it.
Maybe, but I didn't even bother with ppf on any of my Bentleys or other cars. Personal preference!
Old 12-30-2023, 07:34 AM

g63
Originally Posted by SLS
PPF and ceramic coat on that. No wrap. I'm loving our Magno Copper Orange as is! The PPF is the wrap so to speak.

Just flew out and signed the papers. It will be shipped to TX, hopefully next week. So haven't done anything to it yet.

$15k over for Magno Copper Orange, a limited release color on the base G63. It is a color option on the 4x4 squared. Could have purchased the Red one at MSRP. It is sold now.

Our new Magno Copper Orange, waiting to be shipped to Texas.
That is beautiful!

How did you manage to get the option for a 2024 red at MSRP? My dealer just would not budge at anything less than 20k, I threatened to walk. (they let me ) and ive shopped around - nobody was willing to do MSRP for g63

Im in Los Angeles if that matters

Last edited by g63losangeles; 12-30-2023 at 07:38 AM.
Mbracer26 (12-31-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 07:37 AM

g63
for those of you in this thread who did modifications like paint correction, wraps, ppf or clear coat, does this affect the car's resale value ? (I plan to regularly trade up or selll the car so I can always have the newest model)
Old 12-30-2023, 02:26 PM
SLS

That is beautiful!

How did you manage to get the option for a 2024 red at MSRP? My dealer just would not budge at anything less than 20k, I threatened to walk. (they let me ) and ive shopped around - nobody was willing to do MSRP for g63

Im in Los Angeles if that matters
Not sure really, the Sales Manager was feeling generous that day? I found out that he is no longer with the dealership. So maybe, it's that he would get a commission on the sale if he knew that I would buy before he left?

I see you already purchased one! Congrats.

Last edited by SLS; 12-31-2023 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-31-2023, 03:09 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Past 03 SL500,03 C240, 07 E350, 07 ML350, 10 ML350,11&14 E350 X2 2017 E300, 2017 C350e & 2000 S500
Hey all. I'm new to gwagons and I finally got a 2024 G63. Had to pay 20K over MSRP for it. I live in Los Angeles and I got a "premium color" if that matters.

It's just hard to strike up a deal when theress no shortage of people willing to pay over msrp for the car they want.

My question is other than getting ceramic coating to protect the paint what are some other things new owners like myself should do and know?
I just joined the club too, congrats! what color did you get?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I'm New to G-Wagons. I just got a brand new 2024 G63. Need advice from the veterans.