Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

What justifies an AMG badge...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Accord
I wonder what the salesmen and other people at the dealership think when someone asks to buy AMG badges like that.
they think cha ching $$$... money....
Old 06-17-2002, 10:19 PM
Almost a Member!

How about the opposite meaning removing any AMG decals from say an E55, cruise in 'stealth' mode, install a baby seat complete with "baby on board" stickers, pull up next to an M3 at a stoplight.....boom!!! Cheers!
Old 06-17-2002, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

now see that's what i would do if i had the loot... buy a real AMG and debadge ir completely.. maybe even put on fake 320 badges on there.. (well that's a bit tacky..so i might not do that) but I will definitely take off all immediate signs that it was a real AMG and make it a sleeper.... that's the way to go.. that way even the AMG fakes will think they can take you
Old 06-17-2002, 11:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Re: What justifies an AMG badge...

An example of this, is a E320 with an AMG body kit, wheels, and badge pulls up to a light and an M3 driving pulls up next to the E320... however, the M3 driver sees the AMG badge and assumes that the car is an E55 rather than an E320. So the M3 driver guns it and obliterates the E320... and do you know what? The M3 driver just thinks he just took an E55 AMG to school, when in actuality, he did not. So the M3 driver gets home and goes on one of the BMW forums and starts posting away in the kills section... "Hey guys, I smoked an MBNZ E55 AMG today! He was no match for my powerful M3! M Power rules blah blah!". So now all of his other M3 buddies aswell as himself will take that like a shot in the vein with ego juice.
True, you can't stop people from putting ///AMG badges on their cars, but the way i see it is:
"As long as I go out there and beat every car I can with my true E55 ///AMG, I am rebuilding AMG's name", this should balance with the fakes
Old 06-18-2002, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Originally posted by pocholin

True, you can't stop people from putting ///AMG badges on their cars, but the way i see it is:
"As long as I go out there and beat every car I can with my true E55 ///AMG, I am rebuilding AMG's name", this should balance with the fakes
That's the true ///AMG spirit.

Long live ///AMG!!
Old 06-18-2002, 06:38 PM

Lexus GS 450h
AMG should be just that, a limited edition AMG model.

If you do want the AMG kit and accessories, ,maybe a sport badge (did Benz not sell sport editions in 97/98 i.e. AMG look, not AMG engines before they started importing them here), but not AMG.

My 2 cents

Worse Lexus poser I MET, was a guy at a gas station, had GS 400 badges and when I went to check out his car he OBVIOUSLY had a GS 300. True not the scale of AMG vs non-AMG but my face must have been priceless.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350, S320, Mini Cooper S
I saw a GS (not sure whether that was a 300 or 400) before with AMG rims, that was werid.
Old 06-20-2002, 03:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by sorlo
I saw a GS (not sure whether that was a 300 or 400) before with AMG rims, that was werid.
I can see some people making that "myztake" out of pure ignorance. And some other people will do it because they just like AMG wheels.
Old 06-21-2002, 04:06 AM

Lexus GS 450h
AMG/benz rims will not fit Lexus vehicles without boring the holes in the rims. There are many dish wheels that are similar to AMG wheels. If the wheels don't have the AMG sig indented on the wheels, they were not AMG.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:45 AM
Almost a Member!

C240
I agree with the guys who think AMG badges only belong on Benz's with AMG engines (or any major work done by AMG). As much as I'd love to have my car be worthy of wearing the AMG badge, I would not do so unless I've gotten the proper work done. I'd feel like a poser otherwise. I hate posers!!!!
Old 07-03-2002, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Originally posted by Rednoj
I agree with the guys who think AMG badges only belong on Benz's with AMG engines (or any major work done by AMG). As much as I'd love to have my car be worthy of wearing the AMG badge, I would not do so unless I've gotten the proper work done. I'd feel like a poser otherwise. I hate posers!!!!
To thyne ownself be true!
Old 07-08-2002, 05:13 PM

C32 AMG
The biggest mistake AMG made was not policing the "EXCLUSIVE" marketing that they are known for. The best example of maintaining exclusivity is the BMW tuner Dinan. In order to get a Dinan badge, you have to upgrade your BMW with a minimum of 10 points of upgrades. Suspension, wheels, and body kits alone will not rack up 10 points. Only huge engine mods such as superchargers, racing cams, increased displacement programs, etc. will win you the honor of wearing a Dinan badge. My former 540i had dinan engine mods, but was only a little over halfway to the 10 point mark of getting a badge. If AMG had supplied a similar approach, there would not be the issue of "Biters". If you know cars, then to see a Dinan badge is one of those "$h!t it's a Dinan Bimmer!" moments. Seldom are there fakes.
Old 07-08-2002, 06:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Good point Boo2.
Look at this empersonator ! ! !
Acura accord with M3 badge ! ! !
Old 07-08-2002, 06:22 PM
Almost a Member!

C240
Originally posted by pocholin

Acura accord with M3 badge ! ! !
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! Some people. When I see cars like that I wonder what goes through the owners' heads. To each his own, I guess.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E 320
I personally get angry with that stuff. They think theyre slick and everything. Once i saw a 2001 E 320, the guy took the "0" off so it was E 32, and added the AMG. One time i was at the grocery store in the parking lot. My brother was with me aslo. We were pulling out when i saw a red 300 E with an AMG badge but he had made it all gold. What gets me is that these guys who do this arent ashamed either. I would be embarrased to have an AMG on my 320.
Old 07-23-2002, 06:08 PM

Lexus GS 450h
I personally took the badges off my car. If you REALLY want to know, I'll pop the hood or something
Old 07-24-2002, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

People do this kind of thing with "Sport Compact" cars all of the time. There is only one "type R" sold in America, that is the Acura Integra, with 5 lug wheels, and the SiR (Honda) and a GTR (Nissan) were never sold in America (you can have the GTR imported). If you go to AUTOZONE or Pep Boys you can buy these badges for about $5. You can also buy the stickers, shift knobs and other look alike/ imposter type stuff. Half of the Civic driving population has a Type R badge on their car somewhere, and a bunch or others use these badges on every car imaginable (Suzuki swift). The Type R and GTR are actually impressive cars, but their lower trim level brothers are not. For those who actually spent the extra money to get one of these rice rockets, it is absolutely sickening to see the badge on another car (I have seen the badges on every thing including a Ford truck with 5.0 and GTR badges on it). The thing is, there is nothing one can do to stop it. The only way to govern misbadging is racing for money/take that badge off, ripping the badge off the car when no one is looking, social out casting, or kicking someone’s *** for putting the wrong badge on the car.

The price difference between and Acura and an MB is great (a Skyline GTR can cost as much as $90 grand), but the concept is still the same. An AMG badge should not be put on another MB, but no matter how sick it makes you feel, no one can really stop it

I did see a Type R badge on a w124 once...
Old 07-24-2002, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Originally posted by PhucNguyen57
People do this kind of thing with "Sport Compact" cars all of the time. There is only one "type R" sold in America, that is the Acura Integra...
...plus the 2002 RSX-S, the new "Integra".

I had the red "S" lifted along with the Acura logo from the trunk lid of my RSX-S by another WANNABE, --- whatever...hungry bast...!!
Old 07-25-2002, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
If any of you have been to New York City, you'll probably know what i'm talking about.

When I see a fake AMG, I just can't help thinking to myself that it so closely resembles the "Foakleys" and the "Folex's" that are sold by street vendors in Times Square, NYC. Same principal.
Old 07-25-2002, 03:57 PM

C32 AMG
In a perfect world where everything made sense (everyone knew how to use their brain) this would not be an issue. There are two kinds of car people who mod their rides:

1) Those who try to be something they're not
2) Those who know how to appreciate top tuners and correctly apply it

Although I wouldn't do it, it is not that big a deal to place an AMG logo on your car if you have a few AMG components; HOWEVER by NOT removing the original CLK430, C320, E430, etc. logo, you are not claiming to be an "Official" AMG tuned car, but rather a car connoisseur who knows what he wants but also knows what he's not. AMG is apparently not meant to be exclusive to AMG-engined cars since they make wheels, exhaust systems, suspension kits, and body kits for all models regardless of its production engine. Those who add AMG logos without changing original type badges are claiming to have AMG parts not an AMG vehicle. Someone who removes the original badging (E320) and replaces it with and AMG badge (E55) is claiming to have more than just aftermarket parts. That guy is a frickin HERB!!!! The M in BMW is a different story since that applies just to the engine. Anyone with an M badge without a production M is an idiot since there is no such thing as M wheels, M exhausts, etc. That is not the case of AMG. It is the abuse of this occurance that has irked many people, including me. If I see a CLK320 with AMG wheels and bodykit I would think, "this guy likes nice things, but has enough common sense not to claim to be a CLK55 since he kept the original badge." Oh yeah, don't forget that a real connoisseur knows how to apply brand specific tuners such as AMG, Brabus, Carlsson, Kleeman, Dinan, Ruf, etc. So there is no need to discuss about those fockers who put an M badge on an Acura or AMG on a Lexus.

For those of you with AMG production cars, you don't need to trip if you see a Herb drivin around. Just pass him up and smile, cuz believe me, the guys in Ferrari's and Lamborghini's are doin the same to you when they drive by. They could care less if you had a Ferrari logo on your car cuz it's good enough for them to have the real thing. You know what you've got and that should be enough to satisfy you. No need to get worked up over the ignorance of others. Also, bear in mind that most of the ricers that incorrectly apply tuner specific badges and mods come from other countries. All they were taught growing up is that in America, everything is better. They grow up in these under-developed countries in poverty only now and then hearing about these AMG and M cars. So they come here and try to fulfill what they "think" is the American dream. It's a different story if you were born here cuz you have no excuse. How do I know this? Because I have family and cousins that have immigrated here from abroad. They come and work hard in blue collar jobs to fulfill a hobby that they never thought they would be able to do. I don't make fun of them, I try to educate them. (Okay I make a little fun of them!) So do what I do. If you see a ricer and he looks like a FOB, take it easy on him; if he looks like he was born here, then jump him!!!
Old 07-25-2002, 10:39 PM

I totallly agree with you accord. Unfortunately people think we are being jealous saying that they shouldnt put AMG badges on non-amg cars. pffftttt
Old 07-25-2002, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
If any of you have been to New York City, you'll probably know what i'm talking about.

When I see a fake AMG, I just can't help thinking to myself that it so closely resembles the "Foakleys" and the "Folex's" that are sold by street vendors in Times Square, NYC. Same principal.
True.

Here is an para on the FAKE ROLEX PHENOMENON:

"He wears the watch because it gets him attention; because it conveys a sense of status and wealth that he desires but cannot or is unwilling to earn.

He is convinced that his watch is a bargain and that only the foolish or very wealthy would Buy a real Rolex when convincing imitations are so widely available."

http://turfers.com/nuggets/posts/118.html
Old 07-26-2002, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Boo2 has a good arguement. I totally agree.
Old 07-26-2002, 02:32 PM

CLK55 and Yukon Denali
Originally posted by JamE55
Agree with Vic on this one.
Second that...
Old 07-27-2002, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
during my time in high school, i remember kids ordering their MB's from germany and they all came with AMG badges.

cars like 300 CE-24 and 300 E-24 even E500's 560 SEC's that had AMG styling packages on them all came with AMG badges FROM THE FACTORY!

So who are we to argue if this is right or wrong?

Anyways, the bottom line is.. that any motor enthusiast would have read all those crappy mags and knows what its all about. I mean.. give me break.. you think a guy that drives an M3 doesnt know the performance of an AMG???

and by the way.... can you imagine the treatment you get when you walk into a fancy shop having just pulled up in an AMG? Whether its real or not.... it makes life alot easier where ever you are!

STATUS SYMBOL MY FRIEND! thats all it is!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What justifies an AMG badge...