Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Requesting recommendations for Central FL a/c help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver '00 E320
Requesting recommendations for Central FL a/c help.

I have a 2000 E320 with a leaky evaporator. Does anyone have any recommendations of who could do an evaporator change-out in the Central Florida area at a reasonable price? How about Florida? How about the Southeastern U.S.?
I don't consider $3,500 which my local "stealership" quoted as a reasonable price so I'm trying to find anyone who can help. I know, it's a lot of work so they have to charge a lot. But, I consider $3,500 a lot of money. Half that? Maybe.

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
AMG
Heard good things about this place...

http://www.continentalimports.com/
Old 07-18-2005, 07:26 PM
GGM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
Originally Posted by silver00E320
I have a 2000 E320 with a leaky evaporator. Does anyone have any recommendations of who could do an evaporator change-out in the Central Florida area at a reasonable price? How about Florida? How about the Southeastern U.S.?
I don't consider $3,500 which my local "stealership" quoted as a reasonable price so I'm trying to find anyone who can help. I know, it's a lot of work so they have to charge a lot. But, I consider $3,500 a lot of money. Half that? Maybe.

Thanks for any help.
Which local dealer did you try? There are two in Orlando now. Just curious as to which one you got the quote from and if you plan to get a quote from the other one. Right now my car is under warranty but would be curious which of the two is cheaper for service.
The two in Orlando are MB of Orlando and MB of South Orlando.

Thanks.
GGM
Old 07-19-2005, 06:00 PM
Almost a Member!

Silver '00 E320
I went to the one in Winter Park. We'll just say "we had words" because I didn't care for the attitude of the Service Rep. I guess she thought I was supposed to smile and say "is that all it is?". It appears if you're not willing to shell out whatever dollars they want then they would rather you not be on their lot. That's okay with me. I won't bother them any more.

I haven't called the other dealer, the one down in South Orlando because I don't think they are going to be too far apart. A few dollars won't help me. I bought a used MB because I wanted to own one, not because I was wealthy.

I've now found two places in Central Florida that will give me a "ballpark" figure for $2000 over the phone. Of course you really don't know until the put the estimate on paper. I've heard that in Florida they can't go over the written estimate by 10 % unless they get your approval. That's a better price, but of course they are not certified MB mechanics either.

I don't think you are going to be too far off on prices as long as you stay in the same area. My feeling is that these dealers know and talk to one another and therefore would not undercut the other by anything to speak which would make the other look bad. If you could get a better price from another MB dealer you probably would have a better chance going to another city some distance away. I'm willing to do that when you start talking about thousands of dollars for a repair.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
hey i know a guy who might be able to help you...sometimes he says he isn't accepting new customers, though, so i guess call him up and try. he does good work and doesnt charge an arm and a leg. the phone number is 407-678-2778. his name is zoltan and i think the name of the place is szucz engineering or something. tell him jeff from price chopper gave you his info
Old 07-25-2005, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
btw, the guys at mb orlando are indeed stupid hahaha. i only talk to the older fellow at the parts counter, he's nice.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
Two local shops in Orlando

Both of these guys have been around for at least twenty years and both used to work for Mercedes.

Hans Mercedes Tech 407-859-5140

AutoSinger 407-298-1506

The first one is next door to the Doll House on OBT. The second one is over in Pine Hills on SR50 next to the IHOP by the Old Bob Dance Jeep dealer.

Hope this helps you.

Randy
Old 08-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Almost a Member!

Silver '00 E320
Thanks to all for the information. The heat got to me so I broke down a couple weeks ago and took the car to Jerry's MB Repair up on 426. He's in the phone book. He did the evaporator change out (with MB parts), put in a new dryer, replaced all my dash filters and charged it for under $2k. That's over $1500 less than MB said and they told me it could (could to them means it will) run higher. They also said three days labor (which means having my car for five days) and Jerry did it in less than two.

It's worked great so far. He's got a clean shop and is an ex-MB tech, so I thought I would take a chance. I think I've found my new un-authorized MB repair shop.

Thanks again for your help.