Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Question about hauling a car...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the market
Question about hauling a car...

Is it ok to haul a car on an open trailer with a car cover on the car?

I have heard some people say that not only is it ok, but it is a good idea as it protects from the weather, rock chips, bird poop, etc.

I have heard some people say that if you do this, sand and dirt will most certainly get trapped under the cover and be ground into the paint.

It seems to me that if the cover fits the car, minimal if any dirt at all will get up under the cover. What do you guys think?
Old 09-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
bump
Old 09-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally Posted by Brunelleschi

I have heard some people say that not only is it ok, but it is a good idea as it protects from the weather, rock chips, bird poop, etc.

I have heard some people say that if you do this, sand and dirt will most certainly get trapped under the cover and be ground into the paint.

It seems to me that if the cover fits the car, minimal if any dirt at all will get up under the cover. What do you guys think?
It would be pretty hard to get a cover on the car so tight, that some air wasn't able to get up between the cover and the car. And if air can get up there, so can sand, dirt, etc. So I can see how the flapping cover can cause some damage. I guess if it were my car, I would not put a cover on it.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 SL63
no cover at freeway speeds. Put up a shield of some sort in front of the trailer, like a snow mobile trailer.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some

friend had to repaint a show car becasue he had a cover on it when it went up the coast.

dont put one on. and if you can, get an inclosed one and ask to be on the top.

MArk
Old 09-30-2005, 05:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
no cover. Maybe you should invest in one of those clear car bra sticker thingys they have now. If you feel you need a cover for your car, think of mercedes or any open trailer with an exotic on board, when they deliver cars across country, none of them have a cover. New cars just have stickers, so I would at the very most, buy some stickers.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63

If its your car - the one thats going to SEMA - you just spent big $'s getting all that work done on it , shell out the extra and put it on a enclosed trailer and sleep good at night knowing its gonna be in perfect condition at Vegas.

Trending Topics

Old 10-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Almost a Member!

87 560SEL, 95 600SL, 95/98 CL600
Amtrak

If you are going North to South, the only route the AutoCar on Amtrak offers, you can get a sleeping berth, covered inside their double height cars, from Lorton Va. to Sanford Fla. for $560. Great deal and everything came out perfect. About a 24 hour trip including two meals and loading/unloading time.