Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Question about warranty...please read

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about warranty...please read

Hello. Does the mercedes warranty expires 4 years after the day you purchase the car or 4 years after the delivery of the car? I ask this because I was told by my dealer that my warranty is expired even though I still have 1 month till it is 4 years after I purchased the car.

The dealer told me that the warranty starts from the delivery of the car to the US, not from the day you purchase the car. Is this true? If it is true, I find this very unreasonable. Hypothetically, what happens if a car is on the lot for 6 months before it is sold? Does that mean you only get 3 1/2 years of warranty?
Old 02-28-2006, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Warranty starts when the car is first placed into service. If the stealer did that ...............
Old 02-28-2006, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by RaZCaL
The dealer told me that the warranty starts from the delivery of the car to the US, not from the day you purchase the car.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C300, sport, black/black
Absolutely what amdeutsch said - from the date it was first placed in service.

Did you buy it new? How many miles on were on it? Was is a demo model for a few months? Many times the dealer service invoice has the delivery date of when the car was first put into service. If not, the dealer should tell you the in service date without any hassle. If you were presented the car as brand new and the in service date discrepancy was not disclosed to you, you have every legal right to hold their feet to the fire and make them honor it.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
A demo is "placed into service."

Local BMW motorcycle dealer has a demo with zero remaining warranty.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:04 PM

The car was not a demo car. I bought the car brand new. If I recall, the car had around 10 miles on it. I got a great deal because it was the last year model (2002) before the new w211 came out later that year. I bought the car off the lot.

From the invoice that I see, the production month is january and delivery date is 2/27/02. Warranty expires 2/26/06. Meanwhile I purchased the car end of march. I guess i'm getting jerked from the dealer huh?

Also, what do you guys mean when you say warranty starts when it is first placed into service?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
The car was not a demo car. I bought the car brand new. If I recall, the car had around 10 miles on it. I got a great deal because it was the last year model (2002) before the new w211 came out later that year. I bought the car off the lot.

From the invoice that I see, the production month is january and delivery date is 2/27/02. Warranty expires 2/26/06. Meanwhile I purchased the car end of march. I guess i'm getting jerked from the dealer huh?

Also, what do you guys mean when you say warranty starts when it is first placed into service?
You already stated it; delivery date. If you signed paperwork agreeing to pick it up at that date and then for some odd reason decided to pick it up later it is your responsilbility to make sure that the paperwork reflects the correct date (in service date) and not the stealers. HTH
Old 03-01-2006, 08:26 PM

Like I said earlier, I bought the car toward the end of march. I bought the car that the dealer already had on the lot. I had no idea when the car is taken delivery. I didn't wait for a new car to be built.

Last edited by RaZCaL; 03-01-2006 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Then you better read your post above because of the 2/27/06 delivery date. It is your responsibility to read the paperwork and agree with what it states and the DATES listed on it. Coming back years later and trying to contest it will be very difficult without credible witnesses.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:39 PM

Maybe its my fault I didn't clarify enough. When I say "invoice", I mean the invoice you get every time you go in for service. It has all the information on top and that is where I get all this information from.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
I know you don't want to hear that and are looking for a way out. The fact remains; its YOUR responsibility to verify the paperwork. Trying to come back years later onto a forum expecting something for nothing........ Yes, these words probably hurt but its in the end its still on YOU to verify the correctness of legal contracts.

IMHO, and this is not a reflection upon you since I don't know you, you probably, in the stealers eye, were not one of the most cooperative owners. One hand washes the other. Suck it up and pay the piper.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:16 PM

I never came on this forum looking for anything. I only came on here to get an opinion and to see if what the advisor tells me is true because it doesn't make sense to me. I gave a hypothetical situation to show how unreasonable his statement was.

What would make you think I wasn't a "cooperative owner?" Its not like once this advisor told me I ran out of warranty, I started yelling at him and gave him hell. Instead, I took for what its worth and said thank you. I told him I rather go to another mechanic when he was going to charge me over $200 just for a diagnostic.

Well thank you for your help anyway.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C300, sport, black/black

According to what you wrote, the warranty started on 2/27/02, as that is the date recorded by MB as when it was placed in service (ie: being used for something other than to look nice on the lot.) Since the car only had 10 miles when you bought it, there should be documentation of that. I recommend you go back to the dealer and ask for an explanation of why the in service date of the car is 1 month before you actually bought it. If they do not give you a satisfactory answer then escalate to Mercedes Benz. Sounds like the dealer has not been honest with you.