Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Fletcher Jones - Vegas - AVOID!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Fletcher Jones - Vegas - AVOID!!

I recently moved from Houston to Vegas. Had to take my SL 500 for recall and warranty work. I left my car for service and picked it up 2 days later. As I was driving it out of the service department noise started to come from the driver side rear wheel. So another 2 days in service to replace the hub. When I went to pick up my car I noticed they had dented and scratched the brake dust shield on the same wheel they changed the hub on -- damage clearly visible through the AMG wheels. Mind you I have only 5500 miles on a 2003 SL 500 that I have pampered like crazy. Then the service advisor Richard, who had documented any and all defects in my car prior to accepting for service (and no damage to this part of the car noted except couple of rock chips and yes he did inspect every single wheel) said that this was previous damage. He then changed his story and said that they scratched the shield but did not cause the dent. When I asked him if this was previous damage why did he not document the damage in the first place he had no answer. He then told me that the dealership will paint the shield but I will have to wait 5 hours and I can not get a loaner car. If I want it replaced it will cost ME $1200. PLUS they will not work on my car in the future even for warranty work. Can you believe that. When they are the only game in town they feel they can do any damage and expect the customer to just accept it. AND when I spoke with MBNA customer relations, the representative said that dealer is independantly owned and has the right to reject any customer they dont want.. SO I would have to take my car to Phoenix or LA for repair. YES YOU READ RIGHT!! I have a S430, ML 320, and this SL 500. Dealers in Houston have been great!! BUT ANYONE BUYING A Mercedes Benz in Las Vegas BEWARE!! Even MBNA is a joke. Honestly with declining MB reliability and poor customer service from the MB dealers and MBNA, it makes you wonder why you should even buy a MB. I am a loyal MB driver but this arrogance that the Fletcher Jones and MBNA have shown has really changed my mind.. Sorry for the long post but I think People in Vegas need to be for-warned..

Last edited by Euro Speedster; 03-25-2006 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 GMC Sierra
AHHHH YES YOU HAVE BEEN INDOCTRINATED TO VEGAS BABY!!!!!!

Let me say you are not the only one that has been HOODWINKED at Fleecer Jones.
I can't begin to type all my episodes there but call if you like.
I have since been reassured at the Service Center on Sunset, they actually saved me money and even did some little service without charge!! (Gary)
Sounds like you need an attorney.
(702)564-6176

Regards,
Ed
Old 03-25-2006, 05:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 SL63
Fletcher-jones Las Vegas = Sucks

Sales or Service

I have had one bad experience after another
Old 03-25-2006, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
[QUOTE=Euro Speedster]AND when I spoke with MBNA customer relations, the representative said that dealer is independantly owned and has the right to reject any customer they dont want.. QUOTE]

Not true. It's against the law to refuse service at a public business based on a whim. You must have a valid reason and it can't be just because you are a tough customer. Did you verbally abuse them with foul language or name calling? Did you fail to pay an invoice? What is the reason they told you to take your business elsewhere? The signs you see in businesses that say "we have the right to refuse service to anyone" are total BS. Just like the parking lots that say they have no liability for cars they park...they do. Unfortunately your only recourse is to take them to court...but unless they have a reason, you'll win.

Last edited by mleskovar; 03-25-2006 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:19 PM

I did not verbally abuse anyone. I simply asked if this was previous damage then why did you, you being "Richard Wulf, sales advisor" did not document this on the initial intake sheet that details any previous damage. He could not use the line that he did examine it carefully because 1) he inspected each alloy and document 2 rims that had chip marks from stones 2) He said he saw this damage on initial inspection but ODDLY he felt that he did not have to document it. THIS IS STRANGE BECAUSE this guy documented even air bubbles that I had in my clear automotive film (bra). SIMPLY He was not happy with my persistance and being right. I am a professional.. physician .. so I dont need to downgrade myself to his level.

Yeah I can take my car back and fight to get my car serviced BUT what would happen then? When FLETCHER JONES does not even have the integrity to admit to the damage they have caused... could damage even other items in my car and where would I go to fix them then?

Whimmy MBNA washes their hands clean by saying the dealers are independantly owned.. YET dont they authorize them to sell their cars and service them?

Last edited by Euro Speedster; 03-26-2006 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:21 PM

PLUS this was all warranty work. So their was no invoice to pay.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
They don't have a choice on the warranty work....they must provide it unless they come up with a valid reason not to...what's their reason? Is there more to this than a simple misunderstanding or accusation of who did what? Life is too short to hassle simple things...maybe it's time to buy a Maserati Quatro Porte? I know I'm looking for a reason to convince my wife we need one
Old 03-30-2006, 02:43 PM

On the contrary ,,,, MBNA says any dealer can refuse warranty work for whatever reason. Their EXCUSE ......."All Dealers Are Indepently Owned". As I said before MBNA is totally useless.

Atleast, we as the consumer can take our business to other automakers. If you can afford to buy a Merc I think there are many other nice cars to choose from.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by Euro Speedster
On the contrary ,,,, MBNA says any dealer can refuse warranty work for whatever reason.
I don't care what MBNA or the local dealer says.....they must have a valid reason. It's the law. Public businesses can't withold goods or services based on race, religion, ethnicity, etc. or just because they feel like it. Don't rely on MBNA to uphold the law.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally Posted by mleskovar
Not true. It's against the law to refuse service at a public business based on a whim. You must have a valid reason and it can't be just because you are a tough customer.
I don't care what MBNA or the local dealer says.....they must have a valid reason. It's the law. Public businesses can't withold goods or services based on race, religion, ethnicity, etc. or just because they feel like it. Don't rely on MBNA to uphold the law.
What law are they breaking? In most places, a private company has the right to discriminate, as long as it's not for sex, religion, race, or in some places, sexual preference. Most companies have the right to refuse service to anyone for just about any reason.

If there is a specific law about this in Las Vegas or the state of Nevada, please elaborate.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
They don't have a choice on the warranty work....they must provide it unless they come up with a valid reason not to...what's their reason?
Whether or not they have a choice to refuse warranty work would be covered in the agreement between the independent dealer and MBUSA/MBNA. Now if MB says that you are able to receive warranty work at any authorized dealer (as I do believe they say, and they should), then there may be a "beef" to take up with MB for not forcing the dealer to do the warranty work. Of course, you would probably have to have some specific warranty work that was refused.

Euro Speedster, my advice would be to first write some letters. One to the GM, one to the Owner, and then one to MBUSA. Might help if you can get an attorney in on this. I would then file a claim against them in court (small claims). They may not have to agree to take you back as a customer, but they should be forced to fix and/or pay for the damage that they caused.

Best of luck to you.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by revstriker
What law are they breaking? .
You can't discriminate for any reason. Just because a business puts up a sign that says "We have the right to refuse service to anyone" that doesn't mean it's true...and it's not. You must have a valid reason. If you have a public business, like a car dealership, you don't have the right to pick and choose your customers based on your preference. But the real issue, in this case, someone has a warranty contract with MB that they're not upholding.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
You can't discriminate for any reason. Just because a business puts up a sign that says "We have the right to refuse service to anyone" that doesn't mean it's true...and it's not. You must have a valid reason. If you have a public business, like a car dealership, you don't have the right to pick and choose your customers based on your preference. But the real issue, in this case, someone has a warranty contract with MB that they're not upholding.
Sorry but this is not true. There is no law that I am aware of which says that a private business must serve everyone. Businesses discriminate all the time. Try being a nobody and getting into a very popular night club in LA or NY. Try going to a 5 star restaurant wearing jeans and a tee shirt. The bottom line is that it is NOT illegal to discriminate against someone for whatever reason you want, it doesn't have to be a good reason. Of course, whats "right" from a customer service perspective is a different story.

As for the "warranty contract", he would first have to have a warranty issue that they refused to work. THEN he might have a case against MB for advertising that any authorized dealer will perform warranty work. However, it is not illegal for a dealer, or a shop to refuse to service a specific customer. Discrimination laws usually only apply to race, sex, religion, and sexual orientation. Even then, these laws may not apply to certain private businesses (Augusta National CC is a good example of this).
Old 03-30-2006, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Sorry but this is not true. There is no law that I am aware of which says that a private business must serve everyone. Businesses discriminate all the time. Try being a nobody and getting into a very popular night club in LA or NY. Try going to a 5 star restaurant wearing jeans and a tee shirt. The bottom line is that it is NOT illegal to discriminate against someone for whatever reason you want, it doesn't have to be a good reason. Of course, whats "right" from a customer service perspective is a different story.

As for the "warranty contract", he would first have to have a warranty issue that they refused to work. THEN he might have a case against MB for advertising that any authorized dealer will perform warranty work. However, it is not illegal for a dealer, or a shop to refuse to service a specific customer. Discrimination laws usually only apply to race, sex, religion, and sexual orientation. Even then, these laws may not apply to certain private businesses (Augusta National CC is a good example of this).
Disclaimer: I don't claim to be an expert on law interpretation. Also, I don't confuse what "is" with what "is legal" or "what is right" You may be correct that there are no federal or state laws that specifically force a car dealer to work on a car and it's never been challenged in court. This quote from a law office explains my argument better than I can... "Does the guaranteed right to public access mean the business owner's private right to exclude is violated? For the most part, courts have decided that the constitutional interest in providing equal access to public accommodations far outweighs the individual liberties involved." It's a civil right to expect to be treated like anyone/everyone else. If you do business with the public you must obey civil rights. I don't think it's a stretch to say it's a civil right to expect equal access to goods and services. Do you? Sure it's debatable, but not by us. And for the warranty...they already told him not to bring even warranty work to them. He can wait for an emergency or nip that statement in the bud right now.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Disclaimer: I don't claim to be an expert on law interpretation. Also, I don't confuse what "is" with what "is legal" or "what is right" You may be correct that there are no federal or state laws that specifically force a car dealer to work on a car and it's never been challenged in court. This quote from a law office explains my argument better than I can... "Does the guaranteed right to public access mean the business owner's private right to exclude is violated? For the most part, courts have decided that the constitutional interest in providing equal access to public accommodations far outweighs the individual liberties involved." It's a civil right to expect to be treated like anyone/everyone else. If you do business with the public you must obey civil rights. I don't think it's a stretch to say it's a civil right to expect equal access to goods and services. Do you? Sure it's debatable, but not by us. And for the warranty...they already told him not to bring even warranty work to them. He can wait for an emergency or nip that statement in the bud right now.
Not meaning to turn this thread into a legal argument. And sure, courts rule all the time to "interpret" the law differently than it was written or clearly intended. And personally, no, I don't think its a "civil right" that a private business must serve everyone.

As for the warranty issue, I DO think he should complain to the dealer management and ownership about the statements made to him about not working on any warranty issues in the future. A complaint should also be made to MBUSA/MBNA. But when it comes to a legal issue, I would think that he would actually have to have a warranty issue that got refused before he could pursue this avenue, again on a "legal" footing.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
And personally, no, I don't think its a "civil right" that a private business must serve everyone..
Thankfully the courts do. Just to clear up a semantics issue...it's a 'privately owned business' serving the public. To refuse anyone in the public domain goods/services without a valid reason is discrimination. During the Vietnam era I was refused service while in uniform and I'll never forget it.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Thankfully the courts do. Just to clear up a semantics issue...it's a 'privately owned business' serving the public. To refuse anyone in the public domain goods/services without a valid reason is discrimination. During the Vietnam era I was refused service while in uniform and I'll never forget it.
Yes, I understand, and it is discrimination. But Discrimination is not illegal. That is why businesses can discriminate against people who are not dressed (what they determine to be) appropriate, certain sexes (as in Augusta National, and the many "women only" gyms), and yes, even service men. Laws around making discrimination illegal only involve certain types of discrimination. With that said, other kids of discrimination may indeed violate a company's licensing agreement (as in a bar, restaurant, franchisee, etc.), but this is different then something being "illegal" and is an issue between the licensing authority and the company.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Just to piggyback on my last post, the majority of the law which covers discrimination include:

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964

Federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA)

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)

Section 1981: The Civil Rights Act of 1866
Section 1983: The Civil Rights Act of 1871

The Equal Pay Act of 1963

Various laws by state

To be considered legally discriminated against, you must be classified as a "protected class" under current law.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 151 Posts
99 E320
pshaw....the courts do not blanketly protect such as you're implying. the
discriminated class must prove that they were done so in specific violation
of a clearly defined law prohibiting such act. your wearing of a uniform is
not, on the surface, protected.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by Euro Speedster
I recently moved from Houston to Vegas. Had to take my SL 500 for recall and warranty work. I left my car for service and picked it up 2 days later. As I was driving it out of the service department noise started to come from the driver side rear wheel. So another 2 days in service to replace the hub. When I went to pick up my car I noticed they had dented and scratched the brake dust shield on the same wheel they changed the hub on -- damage clearly visible through the AMG wheels. Mind you I have only 5500 miles on a 2003 SL 500 that I have pampered like crazy. Then the service advisor Richard, who had documented any and all defects in my car prior to accepting for service (and no damage to this part of the car noted except couple of rock chips and yes he did inspect every single wheel) said that this was previous damage. He then changed his story and said that they scratched the shield but did not cause the dent. When I asked him if this was previous damage why did he not document the damage in the first place he had no answer. He then told me that the dealership will paint the shield but I will have to wait 5 hours and I can not get a loaner car. If I want it replaced it will cost ME $1200. PLUS they will not work on my car in the future even for warranty work. Can you believe that. When they are the only game in town they feel they can do any damage and expect the customer to just accept it. AND when I spoke with MBNA customer relations, the representative said that dealer is independantly owned and has the right to reject any customer they dont want.. SO I would have to take my car to Phoenix or LA for repair. YES YOU READ RIGHT!! I have a S430, ML 320, and this SL 500. Dealers in Houston have been great!! BUT ANYONE BUYING A Mercedes Benz in Las Vegas BEWARE!! Even MBNA is a joke. Honestly with declining MB reliability and poor customer service from the MB dealers and MBNA, it makes you wonder why you should even buy a MB. I am a loyal MB driver but this arrogance that the Fletcher Jones and MBNA have shown has really changed my mind.. Sorry for the long post but I think People in Vegas need to be for-warned..
Get Fletcher Jones Where it Hurts...Contact the Media..I did re FJ..and It Worked! Channel 2 Had a Great feature on FJ re my problem ..How many THOUSANDS of people saw it..oh and it was replayed several times

The Media LOVES this !! Great PR for the Dealership!

Then Contact the BBB and The Bar for a complaint..its a Black mark on them!
Old 03-31-2006, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 151 Posts
99 E320
better yet....think of something creative and have this hosted on Google
videos or other video hosting site. the gift that keeps on giving. setting it
on fire, blowing it up with Tannerite, letting folks take a sledgehammer to
it for $5 each, and of course, our fave....having wimmin in bikinis draped all
over it....you'll think of something

Last edited by raymond g-; 03-31-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 GMC Sierra
I think it's time for the Law of the Lemon, no not the Lemon Law. I once had a major problem with my new Corvette, purchased from Henderson Chevrolet. The dealer told me to see the manufacturer, I told them to call the manufacturer, I was the customer. Well thay said they were done with me, I said "OK we'll see".
The next evening I went to the store and bought 2 bags of lemons, went to the dealer and placed the lemons all over the car. There was a line of cars waiting to talk to me, one would get the story and the next car would pull up. I also gave out free lemons!
Well the very next day they called and said Mr. Hall would you please come by so we might try something else to repair your car. They kept working on it till they found the problem, Chevy asked to buy the car back. The buy back was not good for me and the car did not leave me stranded (at that time) so made the decision to keep it.
I also did a lemon job at the MB Sahara store but I stopped because they were not refusing the repair.
I would talk to the General Manager, tell him the problem and see what happenes. After all they want to sell cars and with CS like you (and I) got that will not happen again.
Regards,
Ed