Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Is is just me?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2002 | 12:57 PM

Is is just me?

Hey have you guys and gals noticed that Mercedes never gets respect for their performance? It seems like to me atleast everybody is always talking about BMW being more performance oriented even though their newest car the 7 series is not even close to being as fast as a S55?!?! I would like to hear your opinions on this topic. Maybe its just me being stupid?

AmGbOy
Old 08-10-2002 | 12:58 PM
Out Of Control!

I think i may just be you??? j/k
Old 08-10-2002 | 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1M, F550M, F550B, F40, S600, 365GTC, DBSx2, etc.
Quite frankly, I have never thought of a mercedes as a performance car. they are just too soft (even in AMG variations, i very much disliked the c32 and the e55). Frankly, I know I will never take the SL55 up to the twisties.

And for the 745 vs. S55 - unfair comparison (and by the way, it is a lot closer to an S55 in a straight line than you think, and will leave itin the curves). But why would you ever consider EITHER as a performance car?

I have *NEVER* understood this whole bmw vs. benz vs. audi type of mentality - you buy different cars for different purposes and appeal. Accept them, and enjoy them, for what they are - don't spend your time trying to compare or worry about anythign else or pretend it's something that it isn't. Frankly, the guys who are out bragging about kills and the superiority of a brand are the ones I think are lacking down below - need compensation or suffer from a severe inferiority complex.

--Dan
Old 08-10-2002 | 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes | Bmw | Audi
If you ask me is MB a performance car? I'd just say it's the best all rounder... luxury ... perfomance ... style ... aesthetics quality and [WOMEN lol j/k] and often it's the high expectations from MB that we see so much of it in the press... I mean if one MB car has a plastic knob somewhere it makes news across the globe .. it just shows how important MB is to everyone...
Old 08-10-2002 | 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by HdS500

Those guys are the stupid 13 years old kids on the BMW boards. They think that bmw rocks and that MB are slow cars for old people because of the transmission (and they don't even drive to know the differnces between manuals and automatics). They are just stupid. That's all.
to be fair.. i think there are people like that on this forum as well who believe that MB is gods gift to cars and everything else is a POS... i personally think that it's stupid to expect performance from cars such as these because those may not be the original intentions... you want performance.. buy a ferrari...

my 2 cents...
Old 08-10-2002 | 08:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Re: Is is just me?

Originally posted by AmgBoy
Hey have you guys and gals noticed that Mercedes never gets respect for their performance? It seems like to me atleast everybody is always talking about BMW being more performance oriented even though their newest car the 7 series is not even close to being as fast as a S55?!?! I would like to hear your opinions on this topic. Maybe its just me being stupid?

AmGbOy
i agree with u, people i talk to always talk about how good BMW's are and they dont even have one, and they say how they would never buy an MB because there for old people. Those F*cken a$$ holes **** me off so much.
Old 08-10-2002 | 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
GOd those BMW fans on SC.net are so immature.
Old 08-11-2002 | 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by HdS500

Those guys are the stupid 13 years old kids on the BMW boards. They think that bmw rocks and that MB are slow cars for old people because of the transmission (and they don't even drive to know the differnces between manuals and automatics). They are just stupid. That's all.
And the attitude is just as prevalent here, on other MB forums, on Audi forums, everywhere. Fuzzo is right, I have yet to see an "automotive following" that doesn't have it to some degree - in fact, if anything you've done nothing more than prove my point.

--Dan
Old 08-11-2002 | 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350, S320, Mini Cooper S
Although MB cars don't have the BEST performance, they are great great luxury cars with decent performance. On the other hand, BMW cars are have great performance but the interior is no match to MB.
Old 08-11-2002 | 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
The only Mercedes-Benz vehicles that are performance vehicles in their stock forms are the AMG's and the V12 cars.
Old 08-11-2002 | 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You tell me an S600 is a performance car.

I think the big question is: how does one define a performance car? Naturally this is very subjective, so I'll go ahead.

I think the car should be fast / powerful enough where you can overtake with ease and/or accelerate or speed to a degree which you find appreciably fast (different for everyone), nimble enough that it can attack a twisty road with reasonable composure, and "connected" enough to the surrounding environment such that one feels instant / responsive input from each interaction (steering wheel, pedals, etc).

I know, pretty basic but it's a case-by-case situation. My big concern with MB falling into this isn't straight line power, we all know they've had gobs of it. It's the waftiness of the packages, the whole detached, boat-like feeling that takes it away for me, and even with all of the eletrickery involved, I still don't feel that such heavy packages content, as muted in feeling as they are.

I think the M5 is the exception, because while it has all of the characteristics of a proper luxury car (interior is spacious, comfortable, good tactile feel, attention to detail, etc), it's bloody fast and is so nimble it feels as if it's 500 lbs lighter. Not to mention how responsive and "connected" all of the inputs feel.

--Dan
Old 08-11-2002 | 07:18 PM

There is something about BMW's interiors that i just dont like. MB, to me at least seems to be a better car all around. If you want to go fast get a ferrari is my $.02
Old 08-11-2002 | 08:42 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by Accord
The only Mercedes-Benz vehicles that are performance vehicles in their stock forms are the AMG's and the V12 cars.
well i agree, but its just obvious because those cars were but for performace.

i happen to think some of the non mercedes AMG or V12 cars have good performace like the SL500 or even my CLK430 with the identical 0-60 times of 6.1 sec.
Old 08-12-2002 | 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
............I went to check out an M3 and I read the specs. It has a differential ratio of 3.64!!!! This is crazy. This explains its excellent 0-60 performance and also explains why there have been reported 60 M3 sudden engine failures. For comparison, the M5 has a differential ratio of 3.15. No other BMW has similar ratio has the M3. Seems like BMW purposely created the M3 to be a high reving car in order to get good 0-60 performane numbers. The M3 has 333 HP with a differential ratio of 3.64 with a 0-60 time of 4.8secs. I have a Kleemann supercharged CLK 320 with 345HP and a differential ratio of 3.07 with a 0-60 time of 5.6secs. If i am crazy enough to adjust my ratio to 3.64, my o-60 time will dramatically improve, but I will blow my engine. This is what I think is happening to all those M3's with blown engines. Plus, the M3 is a manual transmission, so up to the person driving it to shift before the car redlines and some ownesr must not be doing this quick enough because the car redlines too quickly. I spoke to the sales rep at the BMW dealership, he just shrugged it off and blamed the owners for the blown engines, but he never considered why it was just the M3 not the M5 that had the blown engine problem. I think they should recall the cars and adjust the differntials.

Ted
Old 08-13-2002 | 06:59 PM

SL 500
Originally posted by Ted Baldwin
............I went to check out an M3 and I read the specs. It has a differential ratio of 3.64!!!! This is crazy. This explains its excellent 0-60 performance and also explains why there have been reported 60 M3 sudden engine failures. For comparison, the M5 has a differential ratio of 3.15. No other BMW has similar ratio has the M3. Seems like BMW purposely created the M3 to be a high reving car in order to get good 0-60 performane numbers. The M3 has 333 HP with a differential ratio of 3.64 with a 0-60 time of 4.8secs. I have a Kleemann supercharged CLK 320 with 345HP and a differential ratio of 3.07 with a 0-60 time of 5.6secs. If i am crazy enough to adjust my ratio to 3.64, my o-60 time will dramatically improve, but I will blow my engine. This is what I think is happening to all those M3's with blown engines. Plus, the M3 is a manual transmission, so up to the person driving it to shift before the car redlines and some ownesr must not be doing this quick enough because the car redlines too quickly. I spoke to the sales rep at the BMW dealership, he just shrugged it off and blamed the owners for the blown engines, but he never considered why it was just the M3 not the M5 that had the blown engine problem. I think they should recall the cars and adjust the differntials.

Ted
Wow..i had no idea about the M3 blowing up like that. I hope they have fixed the problem. I agree as well, BMW makes very nice high powered racers, but benz is an all around luxary, sports, comfortable, cruiser. My best friend bought a new m3 and it rocks..speed, acceleration, and look is vicious. That's his style. My style is laid back, going 65mph, chillin' w/ the windows down, and music going, and enjoying the comfort of my ride. That's why i like my benz.

djamer