Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Probs being a young MB driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cee Fiddy Five
since here in GA if you drive 24mph over the speed limit they can and usually do take your license
Then you are stupid. If you know this, why go 80 still? Who are you trying to impress? Ooo...tough guy "knows" he is going to get a ticket.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:57 PM

2002 C230 Kompressor
did i ever say i was being a tough guy???? i just drive fast that's it...it's because my parents drive fast, so i drive fast...and because it's fun...
Old 12-18-2006, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by rodngun762
I drive a 2002 C240 bought with 53,000 miles- I paid half the cost and tax. I do get looks from adults- the tension is there, but no one has said anything to me. Neighbors usually just have said "nice car" or asked "is that yours?"
You live in Orange County, CA, and you "get looks" and "feel tension" for driving a 2002 C240?

No offense, but that surprises me...
Old 12-18-2006, 06:41 PM

merc
Originally Posted by 1985MB380SE
You live in Orange County, CA, and you "get looks" and "feel tension" for driving a 2002 C240?

Hah, well ya know- It isn't all like The OC and Laguna Beach "reality TV shows" out here will have you believe.

Yes, I do live in an area that has an abundance of Mercedes Benz- but young people in a Mercedes (especially those under 20) are automatically judged or looked down upon anywhere; as evidenced mostly by this thread. Sometimes it may not be someone verbalizing it- but unfortunately the car you drive means too much to some people.

When I was looking at cars I was initally skeptical of driving a Mercedes for the reasons above, but took into consideration the ride quality, styling, and fit of the car for me and decided thats what I wanted.

It may be common place in my area for adults to drive a Mercedes, but from what I can gauge and my experience, the reactions I usually get from adults and other kids are negative or neutral at best.

rodngun762
Old 12-19-2006, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by rodngun762
Hah, well ya know- It isn't all like The OC and Laguna Beach "reality TV shows" out here will have you believe.

Yes, I do live in an area that has an abundance of Mercedes Benz- but young people in a Mercedes (especially those under 20) are automatically judged or looked down upon anywhere; as evidenced mostly by this thread. Sometimes it may not be someone verbalizing it- but unfortunately the car you drive means too much to some people.

When I was looking at cars I was initally skeptical of driving a Mercedes for the reasons above, but took into consideration the ride quality, styling, and fit of the car for me and decided thats what I wanted.

It may be common place in my area for adults to drive a Mercedes, but from what I can gauge and my experience, the reactions I usually get from adults and other kids are negative or neutral at best.

rodngun762
I was in Newport for a wedding a while back and driving around there gave me that impression. But I know what you mean -- TV is very good at creating generalizations and stereotypes.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by cy0811
Im 26...which is sort of young for a new body SL....haters are everywhere in LA...but usually they dont do much.
The real haters are the ones at work. Co-workers, Bosses, business partners, associates. They make comments like:

> Oh, I want to make what You're Making, after all, you "Drive A Mercedes"

> Oh, You don't need a Raise or Annual Bonus, you "Already Have a Mercedes"

> How did you get your Mercedes? Not working here, I think. Probably at your second Job, Selling Drugs.

Comments like these make me want to shove my 3-pointed star up their hater a$$es!
Old 12-19-2006, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 W205 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by 1985MB380SE

It's surprising, but true. Don't believe everything you see on TV. Cali' ain't all just surf and sun.

Yes, in South Orange County there are a high amount of Benzes, Range Rovers and the like, but just as many haters, that are pissed 'cuz you are driving a higher model designation or newer version.

People are real petty, and everyone wants to be a star.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:57 PM

Here's I look at it. If the teenager can afford, heck, let him drive a Bentley. As a 16 year old myself, I write books. Now, getting a little ahead of myself, I want to buy a CLK. Cool huh?
Old 12-30-2006, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
I get weird looks and reactions a lot. They are always like, "Oh yea right, thats not your car" or something along those lines. I'm 18 and i paid for the car (02 C320 sport), insurance, and all of my mods. I know its not like an SL or anything, but hey, if your 18 and can afford one of those fairly new on your own, i bow to you. I still save a very large portion of my money. I didn't have to worry too much about paying for college because of my scholarship, but books weren't covered, and we all know who expensive those are. Overall i think people just pass me off as a spoiled kid without even considering the fact that i may have worked hard for what i have.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
I'm 24 and have had my ride for a little over 2 months. I haven't had any problems yet. I've heard a lot of horror stories about nice cars getting keyed so i'm completely **** about where I park.

Originally Posted by vraa
I drive like a badass.
I don't give a crap what others think. I am who I am and I love it!

Don't pay no attention to others, if they touch your car, break their legs.
Damn straight!

Well said.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:46 PM

06' CLS 500, DB9 (SOON)
im 20 and i drive a modded CLS 500. my dad got me this car. i live in Richmond B.C btw. i do get a lot of evil stare from people who drive modded JDM cars or people that drives a car that cost less than mine. i am confident to say that almost 90% of the mercedes and BMW's you see on the road are driven by chinese people and i admit, most of the chinese drivers suck at driving. (im chinese also) so people with another nationality always think chinese people are **** drivers and are rich. so chinese people have a bad reputation for driving in richmond.

some jealous asses do say crap like" oh, your daddy mommy bought you that car? learn to work for your own ****." or " wow, you are fortunate, i gotta work for my of ****." i just ignore those people.

i never got pulled over by a cop, but i know lots of ricers get pulled over by cops here. chrome rims scares people.

Last edited by Fran; 12-30-2006 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Fran
im 20 and i drive a modded CLS 500. my dad got me this car. i live in Richmond B.C btw. i do get a lot of evil stare from people who drive modded JDM cars or people that drives a car that cost less than mine. i am confident to say that almost 90% of the mercedes and BMW's you see on the road are driven by chinese people and i admit, most of the chinese drivers suck at driving. (im chinese also) so people with another nationality always think chinese people are **** drivers and are rich. so chinese people have a bad reputation for driving in richmond.

some jealous asses do say crap like" oh, your daddy mommy bought you that car? learn to work for your own ****." or " wow, you are fortunate, i gotta work for my of ****." i just ignore those people.

i never got pulled over by a cop, but i know lots of ricers get pulled over by cops here. chrome rims scares people.
If someone says "wow, you are fortunate, i gotta work for my ****.", why ignore them? They are not insulting you. A lot of us do really have to work for our **** and it's not easy.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:23 PM

Yea that hate wil never stop Ill pull up tp my girlfriends house in my clk55 and the hate is there I see it then the next day ill pull up in my s500 and the hate is really felt !!!! I hate bieng judged!
Old 12-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63

LOL, that's the case with Chinese drivers everywhere. Except for me, of course.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:52 PM

2004 S/C M3 Vert, 2004 E55
I go thru cars like nothing.
16yrs old got a 2002 Honda Accord--modded enough to buy a brand new C55.
18yrs old bought 2nd car a 1999 MB C230K--Rims & Custom Audio
bought a 1995 240sx
right before 19yrs sold 240sx and bought 1998 328i
20 yrs old sold the 328i then bought
---C230K became family car (parents took payments over) sis needed car
1998 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro and a 1998.5 BMW M3
Traded the Audi for the Benz w/ sis cuz Audi was to slow
Crashed the benz due to bad snow storm
Bought 1992 240sx not my style sold it and bought a 1997 Toyota Celica
then sold that and bought a C32 AMG a few months before turning 21.

Currently own a 2002 Honda Accord, 1998 M3 & 2002 C32.
I just turned 21 this month. So people are jealous as ever, I dont brag or even talk about my cars. Its others that talk about it or bring it up. I usually say I own an old mercedes, old honda or old bmw. For the benz I also say a C32 but then they ask even more when they dont know what it is.
Only car bought for me was the Honda Accord but I worked for that at the family business. Not saying I have it hard or trying to brag but people are always looking and giving dirty looks.
I dont mind the females looking, etc. but I also dont tell them I drive such and such car.

I say if you got it flaunt it

Oh and the drug dealer, mafia, crime, easy money profiling becomes normal everyday life after awhile.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
Originally Posted by davis449
My car is owned and paid for by my dad (title's gonna be in my name shortly), but believe me I've earned it.
what have you done to earn it
Old 12-31-2006, 02:36 PM

06' CLS 500, DB9 (SOON)
Originally Posted by Ryanr317
If someone says "wow, you are fortunate, i gotta work for my ****.", why ignore them? They are not insulting you. A lot of us do really have to work for our **** and it's not easy.
yea i am cool with that. but usually the tone that these use isn't great. they make it sound like im a level lower than them because my car was bought for me instead of earning it myself.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
yea i am cool with that. but usually the tone that these use isn't great. they make it sound like im a level lower than them because my car was bought for me instead of earning it myself.
That will always happen.

Take this example: 2 guys have a 50mil house, 1 of them worked his *** off for it, the other won a lottery. Who would you have more respect for?

Personally, if I see a young guy in an expensive ride who isn't acting like they're the ****, it's ok by me. The only problems come up when they act like they are gods and the true *******s come out. The latter is what I find more common...
Old 12-31-2006, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's true. It just that it seems that more of those people who act like they are the **** are the ones who didn't work for what they have. Now that's not to say that everyone is like that.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:51 PM

06' CLS 500, DB9 (SOON)
Originally Posted by Ryanr317
That's true. It just that it seems that more of those people who act like they are the **** are the ones who didn't work for what they have. Now that's not to say that everyone is like that.
i think as long as the "more fortunate" people appreciate and respect the things they are given, it is ok to own nice stuff. when i have kids of my own, i would buy them a nice car if i could afford it. as long as they are taugh the value of money.

you see, some people just think all younger people who have nice **** is spoiled and crap. that thing that pisses me off the most. what give them right to judge people who have more finacial support? back then our family was poor as fxxk, i was jealous of people who was able to drive nice cars and crap. i had to walk to school. i didn't say a word about "how fortunate" these people are. i just told myself that i gotta work harder when i grow up. its nice and simple. why waste your time focusing on other people's wealth when you can earn the cash yourself.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by axislave
since here in GA if you drive 24mph over the speed limit they can and usually do take your license
I was driving home (to Houston) from Silverdollar Raceway in Reynolds, GA and a cop caught me at 100Mph on a 55Mph ... I just got a ticket and was let go ... where in GA is this you speak of?

(picture of me at the strip in my sig actually)
Old 01-01-2007, 01:54 AM

I'm 20 BTW and my cars are self-paid for
Old 01-01-2007, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Originally Posted by Mrdredd
I'm 20 BTW and my cars are self-paid for
Damn nice man. May I ask what you do? Answer in PM if you want
Old 02-12-2007, 07:20 PM

lol, when I totalled my last mercedes (2002), the cop started talking to my dad about insurance information, etc. My dad said, "Its not my car, talk to him!" lol, the cop thought I was 16, even though I was 22, she told me later.

I drive an '05 now, and I get negative attention from mostly latino-type people in terms of yelling at me when stopped at a light (happened at least 4 times since I bought the car 4 weeks ago). I also try to give respect to other fellow c-class owners, and the older owners ignore me like there's no tomorrow.

I also get the usual negative stares, etc. Also, when giving rides to friends of friends, they almost always ask... "is this YOUR car?" As if I didn't buy it myself. Ouch...
Old 02-12-2007, 09:00 PM

Unfortunatly Not A Silver Star
I have definetly found the same thing, and I do gett o drive new MB cars alot and I espicially find that when driving the more expensive models it is worse !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Probs being a young MB driver?