Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Probs being a young MB driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'98 BMW 540iA ZSP, '94 BMW 530iA (sold)
Originally Posted by momo
Well I'm a new owner of a 1999 C230 Kompressor and I'm 21. I got my car in the end of feb. For the record, I bought the car. It's not daddy's ride that I'm abusing like some of the kids in my area. Well anyways, I'm wondering if any of you young MB drivers ever encounter any kinds of probs like getting pulled over often by the police. I've gotten randomly stopped twice already in the last 2 months. If I drive at night and cops spot me, I'm sure to be stopped. I usually get tailed by the cops and starred at by random people, whether I'm dressed nice or like a bum comming from the gym, it's always the same.
Is this something that comes with the car? Or is age a factor? I really don't want to consider race but my parents are from Bangladesh (next to India) so I'm brown guy lol. I live in Montreal in Canada which happens to be a very diverse city so I really really don't want to consider people being racist.
Anyways, would love to get some feedback.
What color?
Old 02-25-2007, 09:02 AM

'03 E39 530I
That's some bs. Rights are allowed on red in LI, unless posted no turn on red.
Originally Posted by 1985MB380SE

That LI cop seemed to be just itching for a reason -- I bet he was hoping to find a non-existent or suspended license.
everybody drives a mercedes or bmw in long island btw. youre not really special unless you have a ferrari or lambo.. the only thing i hate is, people try to rip you off everywhere, just because they think you can afford to get ripped off, or you dont have enough knowledge about what you drive. i never bothered to look at anybody on the road. just concentrating on my own path.. when people get jealous, i take it as a compliment.

Last edited by straightSIX; 02-25-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:09 AM

03 CLK55 AMG, 95 3000GT
Well I have only had my car for about 3 weeks now and I can say I am stunned by all the stares and dirty looks that I get. I am 26, blk male driving a hardtop clk55. Like others you wonder if it is a racial thing, an age thing, or MB thing. And I really feel that it is people staring at me and not the car. A girl I am dating even noticed it.

Prior to this I drove a lowered 3000GT with 19in chrome wheels, tinted windows etc. etc. and people would certainly be looking at the car and not me, even with the windows down. They were always friendly and wanted to talk. The same went when I had a vintage muscle car, people wanted to talk. Now people just want to hate.

I can only imagine when I get some rims, and lower this beast a bit...the haters will be out in full force.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:20 AM

R230 W124 W212
I have been stopped more times than i can count, sure I am causation, sure i have lots of chains on, but won't you pigs leave me alone!!!!!! Yea, I'm 20 but them cops dont need to be on my *** everywhere I go, "I'm not ridin' dirty"!

PS: my car is on its way to having more than 340 hp (after this turbo swap thats in my hands now...), I don't tell anyone this, they will find out for themselves, either beside me or in my car. If cops are on my *** on the highway, i don't usually stop.

Last edited by Gasdrinker; 02-28-2007 at 02:29 AM.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:38 PM

w211 e500
22 merc-benz driver and i get some of the ****test looks from people, old and young. Doenst help that im darker complected makes it twice as funny to watch. But yeah Def watch where you park, people as a whole, are dicks. good luck, Remember, your a Benz driver.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E90 M3
16 year old here, got my license 3 weeks ago, got my car the 2nd day with the license, 2002 silver c320 sedan. definitely a lot of stares from ricers and older mercedez/bmw drivers...i had one guy in a 330i cut me off to prove his point, i changed lanes and cruised by him, giving him a "what now?" look.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
V8, Flat 6, V6, & Turbo flat 4
Or how about all those beggers and people asking for money that think we are a easy target?
Unfortunately there will always be jealous people out there.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:20 AM

I've had 3 Mb's now my first one when i was 15 it was a c230 1995 and always got looked at and always just smiled. Now im 22 and have a 2005 C230 and still the same. The cop's dont mess with me EVER. I have DARK tint on my 95 and cops pull up next to me and dont ever care. i take my car to the street races and cops dont even look at me. Im goign to get my windows Tinted on my 05 tomorrow probably dark tint. And im sure i wont get pulled over AT ALL.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:07 PM

i dont think the car is the main cause. i have had plenty of nice cars but i dont see many stares. and there are also many nice people who gives way when i signal, say hi, nice car.. and having a mercedes is not anymore special then someone with a toyota.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E90 M3
Originally Posted by jing
i dont think the car is the main cause. i have had plenty of nice cars but i dont see many stares. and there are also many nice people who gives way when i signal, say hi, nice car.. and having a mercedes is not anymore special then someone with a toyota.
I disagree with that, it is actually more special because it usually means you're more financially secure.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by straightSIX
That's some bs. Rights are allowed on red in LI, unless posted no turn on red.

everybody drives a mercedes or bmw in long island btw.
Not sure who you're accusing of bs, me or the officer.

That incident did not occur while driving an MB, btw (was a Matrix/Vibe).
Old 03-06-2007, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by kevblah
I disagree with that, it is actually more special because it usually means you're more financially secure.
That might have been the case "back in the day" but these days I'm not so sure...
Old 03-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
No, not really. Not these days. An MY02-MY03 (04 possibly) C or ML can go for the low-mid 20s range. That range is about as much as the average new car sold today, iirc.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:26 PM

plus you could lease a new merc for like $350 a month. and my point was not about money but if someone is a good/bad person is not and should not be based on the car they drive. and everyone should be courteous to other people regardless what car they drive

Last edited by jing; 03-06-2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
plus you could lease a new merc for like $350 a month. and my point was not about money but if someone is a good/bad person is not and should not be based on the car they drive. and everyone should be courteous to other people regardless what car they drive
Old 03-06-2007, 08:18 PM

well i just dont like that fact that so many people care so much about what car someone drive and yes, people do diss younger drivers if they have a nice car, not all that often but it does happen and i dont think people should be judged on what car they drive. and when i was in high school my car was scratched because i had a nice car, and my friend's car gets scratched at uni too.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:01 PM

C280
Originally Posted by momo
Well I'm a new owner of a 1999 C230 Kompressor and I'm 21. I got my car in the end of feb. For the record, I bought the car. It's not daddy's ride that I'm abusing like some of the kids in my area. Well anyways, I'm wondering if any of you young MB drivers ever encounter any kinds of probs like getting pulled over often by the police. I've gotten randomly stopped twice already in the last 2 months. If I drive at night and cops spot me, I'm sure to be stopped. I usually get tailed by the cops and starred at by random people, whether I'm dressed nice or like a bum comming from the gym, it's always the same.
Is this something that comes with the car? Or is age a factor? I really don't want to consider race but my parents are from Bangladesh (next to India) so I'm brown guy lol. I live in Montreal in Canada which happens to be a very diverse city so I really really don't want to consider people being racist.
Anyways, would love to get some feedback.

A few questions, don't read too much into this:

How old do you think you look?

Are all the cops white?

Do you look like you are from the middle east?

Even in a diverse city there can be tons of "racists" haters.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
well i just dont like that fact that so many people care so much about what car someone drive and yes, people do diss younger drivers if they have a nice car, not all that often but it does happen and i dont think people should be judged on what car they drive. and when i was in high school my car was scratched because i had a nice car, and my friend's car gets scratched at uni too.
People don't care that much. It's just that some people who drive nice cars, especially those in high school who most likely had no financial part in the purchase of it, tend to kind of show it off. Now this is not to say that all of them do this, but i find that a fairly good amount of them do. That pisses of people who have to work hard for what they've got. Yea...they're jealous, but you can't blame them. Now if one of those people go and key your car for no reason, then yea, they're an ***hole. If you show off and flaunt what you've got, especially if it's not YOURS, you'll **** people off. It's as simple as that.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E90 M3
If there's anything I learned from my dad, it's to not show off what you got. You might feel good about yourself for a few seconds and think that everyone else is impressed when in fact you're building jealousy in them and they'll end up keying your car or other things to it.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ryanr317
People don't care that much. It's just that some people who drive nice cars, especially those in high school who most likely had no financial part in the purchase of it, tend to kind of show it off. Now this is not to say that all of them do this, but i find that a fairly good amount of them do. That pisses of people who have to work hard for what they've got. Yea...they're jealous, but you can't blame them. Now if one of those people go and key your car for no reason, then yea, they're an ***hole. If you show off and flaunt what you've got, especially if it's not YOURS, you'll **** people off. It's as simple as that.
yes i agree, but you cant tell if someone has money because they earned it or they were given it by looking at their car. i made my money from my own company, yes my parents were the people invested in it, but i ran it, worked in it and earned the money. and my car wasnt keyed at school. it was keyed while parked on a random st and keyed for no reason so i do believe age was a factor and its one of the downside of being young. No matter if you earned it or not, you look like you didnt, and people hate you for that.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes i agree, but you cant tell if someone has money because they earned it or they were given it by looking at their car. i made my money from my own company, yes my parents were the people invested in it, but i ran it, worked in it and earned the money. and my car wasnt keyed at school. it was keyed while parked on a random st and keyed for no reason so i do believe age was a factor and its one of the downside of being young. No matter if you earned it or not, you look like you didnt, and people hate you for that.
Yep, i'm 18 and everyone assumes that my parents bought my car. In a sense i can't blame them too much, because that is the case many times with people my age and nice cars.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E90 M3
Originally Posted by Ryanr317
Yep, i'm 18 and everyone assumes that my parents bought my car. In a sense i can't blame them too much, because that is the case many times with people my age and nice cars.
I see on your little note on the left that you have a 2002 C320 Sport. I'm pretty sure the 2002 C320 only came in Luxury trim.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:17 PM

06' CLS 500, DB9 (SOON)
buying nice cars is a way to show off wealth imo. a normal honda civic can get us from point A to B no problem. a mercedes or bmw also gets you to point A to B. but we are paying triple the price just to get us to point B.

back on topic. again, it would be wrong for us young drivers to be showing off our rides. but you need to think, it is wrong for those losers who key people's cars too. to be honest, when people see a modded mercedes, immediately he/she will get the impression that you are a show off. i get stares from driving down the street by people my age usually. i am just driving normally at 50km an hour down the street. i see ricers cutting me off and etc. im not trying to show off or anything. but people think im showing off because i drive a mercedes with chrome rims. it all depends on how people see things.

back then, my family was poor as hell, i pretty much had to walk 40 mins to school everyday. i see people with modded cars and such. i just admire them, but i never thought about keying their car. i just told myself, why not work harder and someday maybe i can buy my own car.

again, showing off is not cool, even if you earn the money yourself. but i think it's def wrong that people key people's cars.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:21 PM

E53
i am now 28, I was 21 when i had my 2000 C230K. i got pulled over from not having a complete stop of exactly 5 sec at a stop sign. then the cop gave me 2 tickets , 1 for running the stop sign and 1 for speeding.

I went to court, the judge said "you drive a benz and you are only 21? go to the counter downstairs and pay up"

tell me about it. regardless if you pay on your own or if the parents back you up. the result is that.. if you look young or is young, people will give you some shyt regardless. also, explaning how you work 3 jobs or how successful you are buying your own benz won't stop anyone from throwing you into that "young, rich, benz...blah blah profile"

so just save it.. ppl talk shyt, ignore them. you enjoy what you drive, thats all it matters.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I see on your little note on the left that you have a 2002 C320 Sport. I'm pretty sure the 2002 C320 only came in Luxury trim.
Nope. C320s and even some C240s had a sport package available since day 1. They have a sportier suspension, different front bumper, the rear bumper is slightly different, the interior trim is aluminum instead of wood, and there's some more
C6 Sport Package
  • Includes blue tinted glass.
  • Tires: P225/50R16 Performance
  • Wheels: 16" x 7.5" 5-Spoke Alloy
  • Front Sport Seats
  • Leather Upholstery
  • Sculpted Lower Body Trim
  • Engraved Aluminum Interior Trim
  • Sport-Tuned Suspension

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehi...183.A3012.html

http://research.cars.com/go/crp/rese...=&aff=national

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Probs being a young MB driver?