Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Dodge Charger - Poor Man's E Class?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q & R
Dodge Charger - Poor Man's E Class?

I have been checking out the Dodge Charge R/T. Thats the one with the Hemi V-8 and MB underpinnings.

I have driven an E500 with airmatic and wife and I fell in love with that car. Problem was, we found out we were having triplets a week after plunking down a deposit on one and ended up having to buy a minivan.

Now a couple years later, this Charger shows up. $30K, V-8, good road manners and steering feedback. Hmmmmmm.

Yeah, interior, fit/finish, etc. etc. are no match for MB - but $30K????
Old 07-14-2006, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
I like the interior.

My friend has the R/T version with the DVD navi. I think the inside looks good (way better than the new Mustang). Sure it won't match an MB, but it is a good price for a really nice car.

(although I read somewhere the new V6 Accord can beat the R/T version in 0-60 acceleration. Not that it matters.)
Old 07-14-2006, 01:50 PM

Q & R
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
I like the interior.

My friend has the R/T version with the DVD navi. I think the inside looks good (way better than the new Mustang). Sure it won't match an MB, but it is a good price for a really nice car.

(although I read somewhere the new V6 Accord can beat the R/T version in 0-60 acceleration. Not that it matters.)
Not to me, although Accords drive nice, they are not RWD. My other car is a 05 Corvette.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Originally Posted by cyeung65
I have been checking out the Dodge Charge R/T. Thats the one with the Hemi V-8 and MB underpinnings.

I have driven an E500 with airmatic and wife and I fell in love with that car. Problem was, we found out we were having triplets a week after plunking down a deposit on one and ended up having to buy a minivan.

Now a couple years later, this Charger shows up. $30K, V-8, good road manners and steering feedback. Hmmmmmm.

Yeah, interior, fit/finish, etc. etc. are no match for MB - but $30K????
I like it, and for the $ you cannot beat it.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Cool

I test drove a Dodge Charger R/T with the original Hemi V-8. The roads were a little slick and I spun the tires without even trying - that's one HOT puppy! As far as the interior/exterior were concerned, I thought it was well made, and I agree that the cars are well worth $29,995.

Although they are a few thousand $ more expensive, I'd like to drive one of the SRT-8 Hemis. Both of these engines are also available in the new Chrysler 300C if you can stand the look of the damn things. BUT, Daimler-Chrysler wants a LOT more money for the 300.

Plus, I have read that the 300s have the E-Class drivetrain, but I do not know quite as much about the MB influence on the Chargers. There has to be some german engineering there, and I'd love to know what it is.

Last edited by Musikmann; 07-14-2006 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
I heard the Chargers have the old E-class 5 speed autos.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For the money, you can't beat it. Anyone know what kind of number you get on the track with these chargers? 0-60 and 1/4 mile?
Old 07-15-2006, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
Hehe...test drove an SRT8 and a R/T Daytona today...

The R/T is no slug, but the SRT8 BLOWS the R/T away! Awsome exhaust note, really aggresive looking...all for 43,000! Best deal if you ask me.

The R/T Daytona has some nice extras, like exterior color matching stiching and dash stuff, some funky exterior "Daytona" stuffs. Seems more oriented for the younger audience. With employee pricing, the quote I got was 30,000 with almost every option. Also a great deal.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Arrow MercedesFTW

Hehe...test drove an SRT8 and a R/T Daytona today...

The R/T is no slug, but the SRT8 BLOWS the R/T away! Awsome exhaust note, really aggresive looking...all for 43,000! Best deal if you ask me.

The R/T Daytona has some nice extras, like exterior color matching stiching and dash stuff, some funky exterior "Daytona" stuffs. Seems more oriented for the younger audience. With employee pricing, the quote I got was 30,000 with almost every option. Also a great deal.
Thanks for the update MercedesFTW!

Don't those Daytonas only come in yellow and orange, with the logo decals, etc? I'm guessing that's what you mean by "funky exterior 'Daytona' stuffs".

WOW - that sounds like an extra $13,000 for the 6.1L Hemi engine, or do they offer a few more goodies for that? I did see the interior in a brochure, and the seats were a pretty nice design - looked like NASCAR inspired or maybe Formula One.

Another thing is that someone said the 2 hemis have a lot in common, but how do they get so much more HP out of the larger one? I think I know that the cc displacement is 5700 vs. 6100 but that's not that much when we are talking about an additional 75 HP (or so). Is it the compression, cams, timing, or what?

Thanks in advance,
M

Last edited by Musikmann; 07-15-2006 at 11:46 PM. Reason: adding to message
Old 07-16-2006, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
Sorry don't know much about engines...let alone fancy hemispherical ones!

Daytonas come in yellow and red. I test drove a red one today. Only 5000 were made in 06 and this one was 26/5000! That's kinda cool. Seats are great. There are decals, front diffuser, etc. on the car that show it isn't just a regular R/T. No one will confuse it for a slow poke!

You really are paying for the engine for the SRT8. The R/T Daytona I test drove had rear seat entertainment, DVD navi...basically everything? I'm not too familiar with its packages, but it seemed pretty loaded. The SRT8 I test drove I don't think had rear seat entertainment, but everything else. The base price is 35K or something in the mid 30's. With all the options it ended up at 43,XXX. But there is a HUGE difference in performance.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Arrow MercedesFTW

Sorry don't know much about engines...let alone fancy hemispherical ones!

Daytonas come in yellow and red. I test drove a red one today. Only 5000 were made in 06 and this one was 26/5000! That's kinda cool. Seats are great. There are decals, front diffuser, etc. on the car that show it isn't just a regular R/T. No one will confuse it for a slow poke!

You really are paying for the engine for the SRT8. The R/T Daytona I test drove had rear seat entertainment, DVD navi...basically everything? I'm not too familiar with its packages, but it seemed pretty loaded. The SRT8 I test drove I don't think had rear seat entertainment, but everything else. The base price is 35K or something in the mid 30's. With all the options it ended up at 43,XXX. But there is a HUGE difference in performance.
No apologies necessary MercedesFTW!

Since neither of us seems to know much about these engines, maybe some of the resident "motor heads" will see this thread and explain a bit more about how these engines differ.

Perhaps the level of sophistication of the SRT-8 engine is justified by the extra research and development money spent? Maybe the engineering came from the people at AMG? Those puppies are nice but $$$$.

Thanks for the reply,
M
Old 07-18-2006, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by Musikmann
I test drove a Dodge Charger R/T with the original Hemi V-8. The roads were a little slick and I spun the tires without even trying - that's one HOT puppy!
Mercedes will come with ESP and you can't do that.

Even a used one at the same price as a new Dodge.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool Esp

Originally Posted by lkchris
Mercedes will come with ESP and you can't do that.

Even a used one at the same price as a new Dodge.
Good point there lkchris. In my case, I have an older Plymouth ('91 w/141k - work car) that I might upgrade to something like a USED Dodge Charger hemi in a year or two.

I didn't mean to imply that these Chargers were in the same league as an E-Class M-B, which is the original subject line of this thread.

If anything, the Chrysler 300C, with or without the hemi, is the "Poor Man's E-Class", in a manner of speaking.

Last edited by Musikmann; 07-18-2006 at 08:38 PM. Reason: change
Old 07-18-2006, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
IF it were me, I'd call the "poor man's E-class" a pre-owned E-class.

Owning a new American car could make you poor, however!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Arrow lkchris

Originally Posted by lkchris
IF it were me, I'd call the "poor man's E-class" a pre-owned E-class.

Owning a new American car could make you poor, however!
Another point well stated, and taken, lkchris.

I have a pre-owned E-Class and am very pleased with it. This is only my 2nd one, but the '01 E320 is light years ahead of the '98 E430 I traded for it. Many more options, but I have yet to get the phone working in it.

Again, the person starting this thread was asking about american-made Daimler-Chrysler products, and I was trying to answer his question.

Dodges, Chryslers, Jeeps, and the now defunct Plymouths, did have their moments. Please remember that the old Chrysler make our military machine's tank engines, so they will NEVER go away!

Regards,
Musikmann
Old 07-20-2006, 11:49 AM
Almost a Member!

if you do not mind about the bigger 6.1 motor in the SRT8 and pay a little more, then the SRT8 is the way to go with
that car is a bad@$$.........I should know since I ran a few at the track with my Ford SVT Lightning (Not stock, hee......hee.......)
the R/T is just okay
Old 07-20-2006, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Arrow Angel1

Originally Posted by ANGEL1
if you do not mind about the bigger 6.1 motor in the SRT8 and pay a little more, then the SRT8 is the way to go with
that car is a bad@$$.........I should know since I ran a few at the track with my Ford SVT Lightning (Not stock, hee......hee.......)
the R/T is just okay
Mind - are you kidding?

I've only seen the Dodge SRT8 in a catalog, and I think that is one helluva good-looking car. I'd like to know how much they cost exactly, and would certainly LOVE to test drive something with that engine.

The last time I was at my Chrysler-Jeep dealer, they had a black/black 300C SRT8 that was gorgeous, but they wanted almost $50,000 for it - LOADED! I'm talking DVD for the rear seat, NAV, yada yada.

Thanks for the feedback,
M
Old 07-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Almost a Member!

you missed understood me..............I am saying both cars are nice
just with the gas prices lately and 6.1 L motor is not a daily car you want if you drive a lot ............
I seen a few SRT8 runs low 13's stock at the track
the Slower R/T 5.7 L does not have that mean look like the SRT8
Old 07-20-2006, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Arrow Angel1

Originally Posted by ANGEL1
you missed understood me..............I am saying both cars are nice
just with the gas prices lately and 6.1 L motor is not a daily car you want if you drive a lot ............
I seen a few SRT8 runs low 13's stock at the track
the Slower R/T 5.7 L does not have that mean look like the SRT8
I don't think I misunderstood you at all. I don't care what gasoline costs if I want a car. Not that I am rich, but if I want a high performance car, I will buy it even if gas goes up to $4 a gallon - maybe I am stupid, but I know what I like, and will buy what I want and like.

The SRT8, IF I bought it, would NOT be a daily driver - it would be for fun, like my Mercedes is now

Thank you my friend,
M
Old 08-04-2007, 06:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Well, apparently the 300C SRT-8 have a better 0-60 time the the SRT-8 of the Charger. I've done a little digging and have found that the Daytona version of the Charger have 10 more HP thab the R/T.

About the differences of the 5.7 and the 6.1 Hemis..I found this online at car and driver.
"The iron block is a unique casting with revised water jackets and better breathing between the cylinder bays to cut pumping losses. The 5.7’s cast crank becomes forged in the 6.1 for more strength. Lighter pistons and reinforced rods add high-rpm durability. A continuous spritz from a bank of oil jets keeps the pistons cooler. Up top sit two new cast-aluminum heads. The intake valves grow by two millimeters and get hollow stems to cut mass and thus reduce inertia closer to the 6400-rpm spark cutoff. Sodium fills the oversize exhaust valves to dispel heat. A tubular aluminum intake, cast with fine-grain sand to give an almost polished interior surface without an actual polish, sends air plunging down pole-straight rams at the intake valves. Tubular headers sheathed in a stamped-steel heat barrier flow the gas out. Peak torque happens at 4800 rpm, so the engine definitely needs to be spun for the full slingshot effect. The Mercedes-designed five-speed automatic is the only transmission offered. This combination, Chrysler says should accomplish the 0-to-60 task in the low fives."
I have been looking at the Charger R/T and 300C and cant decide which one I want yet. If I had $40K to spend it would definately be on the SRT-8. And like I said above the 300C SRT-8 is faster on paper of the two.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:55 PM

Wasnt it the 300 or some such car that was tested on a beach there in a Top Gear video? I recall Clarkson saying how terribly poor the handling was, ther charger may share the frame/suspension. Be sure to test it where you'll be using it, not just on straight drags. If it's tossing you and the wife all around all the time, or scary on the twisties, well.....