Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Teenagers and the Starmark Cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teenagers and the Starmark Cars

How many teenagers and/or young guys (ages 25 and under) own a Benz?

Did your parents purchase it for you or did you buy it? Also, how does the ownership of a Benz affect your attitude towards other motorists who do not drive such vehicles of prestige?
Old 09-25-2006, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by Zildjian

Did your parents purchase it for you or did you buy it? Also, how does the ownership of a Benz affect your attitude towards other motorists who do not drive such vehicles of prestige?
Anyone not driving a benz is not worth talking to or looking at. Anyone I see on the road is just a barrier to my speeding. I learned to take up 4 parking spots instead of just 1. Using a blinker is not necessary and makes you look weak others should be watching you at all times since they are not important and you are. Stop signs road lines or any rules in general do not apply.

J/K.

Having a benz when young is a double edge sword. Not to offend you in anyway but the only other younger folks that I know including myself our parents drive cars that are about twice as expensive as what they give us, so if you are asking questions like this I am assuming your parents do not have mercedes and you have not grown up around them, to me living in a nice house and driving nice cars is normal. But I will say I have never had a new car but I have had 3 cars so far, basically my parents buy the cars new drive them for a few years and pass them down to me, I am lucky that they dont drive much so I end up getting a 2 year old car with 6k-10K miles on them.

My attitude is not any different than other people who drive, but I will tell you driving a mercedes or a BMW or anything expensive people tend to cut you off more and are rude. When I say rude I mean they wont let you merge in traffic and get tailgated, I notice the most tailgating driving in BMW's and I get fewer people that cut me off, in Mercedes I never have people tail me but I always get people who cut me off. If you think you are better than others because of the car you drive that is not a side affect of the car that is your own personal problem, you can go to the kill section now and see a guy named allenlambo who thinks he his hot **** since he drives a lambo and has called Mercedes and BMW crap, all I can say about him is he is ungrateful.

Being younger say under 20 you will get a lot of crap or teasing from people. Lets face it most cars on the road cost 1/4 of what a mercedes did. With an average income in the US of $34k a year most wont be able to afford a mercedes and will be upset when they see a sub 20 year old being given a car that cost more than they make a year.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
1996 E320, 2018 Ducati Panigale V4S, 2012 1199 Panigale
Well, Mine is pretty old, worth about as much as newer civic. So, there really isnt anything to go to my head as I dont have much. Im 23 and I bought the car myself, and I pay for the maintence myself. Im a proud owner, even though its an old bucket.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:38 AM

a Few Nice cars.
Originally Posted by FlatlineEF9
Well, Mine is pretty old, worth about as much as newer civic. So, there really isnt anything to go to my head as I dont have much. Im 23 and I bought the car myself, and I pay for the maintence myself. Im a proud owner, even though its an old bucket.

A Older Mercedes isnt a old bucket,There more like a OLD FINE WINE or Aged Cigar..simply the best.Yes my 94 s500 doesnt cost a smuch as the new 07 s550 does this current day and age,but that doesnt take away what the car IS..its a AGED $96K Car that might has lost its value,but not its "FAHNAZ" if you well!!
Old 09-29-2006, 08:24 PM

w211 E320
Well I got my first Brand new Benz 3 years ago as a graduation gift and I was 24yrs old that time. I don't really have any attitude towards other drivers except those that tailgate me or just plain aggressive towards me. I use to drive an S70 and never experienced any problems on the road, but after I got on a benz other drivers just have this weird attitude towards you. Other Benz and BMW owners are nicer towards me though like on the freeway they will let me merge into their lane during heavy traffic or at local roads they stop on the road and let me go into a driveway or make a turn or out a driveway these minor things.

The area that I live in are full of Benz,BMW, and Audi's so theres no odd reaction or envy looks from people, although I do like some attention from time to time..who doesn't? LOLZ! I feel very uncomfortable driving through bad neighborhoods though and when I see other drivers with old or lower cars I feel very grateful and fortunate that I get to drive such a nice machine.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:15 AM

Well I am 22 and have been driving my mid-90's C280 for more than half a year (I bought it when I was 21 actually). And no, I purchased it myself -no money from parents.

I don't have anything towards other drivers other than those who either scratch my car, or leave dents on the door. I also don't like people who drive Dodge Shadow, Caravan, Hyundai, and Kia!
Old 10-01-2006, 05:05 AM

190E
My car isn't as nice as some of the rides that you guys have here but, I really appreciate it. It takes me to work and back and its pretty sturdy. I know I feel safe in it and if I crash, for the most part, ill be ok. I like how its a 1993, yet it has features that some new cars don't have such as ABS. Some of my friends with newer cars go crazy over my single wiper, or my "air plane lights" up top, or my 30 million gauges. It's a good car that gets the job done.

And, YES I DO SIGNAL! I hate it when people don't signal. I don't give a **** what kind of car you have, you should still signal. Its a courtesy to other drivesr.

It was given to me for my 18th birthday this passing May. They payed about $2000 for it.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
Originally Posted by Zildjian

I am 18 and my parents did not buy my Benz and i am proud of that. It's an 02 C320. I don't look at other motorists who do not drive a benz any different. I do however take more pride in my vehicle as i would any vehicle regardless of the brand, because i worked for it myself. That's not to say that anyone who got one from there parents are any different.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:03 PM

^Wow guys - I am impressed...thanks for the comments.

I really need to get my business off the ground so I can purchase my own Benz soon - I am 21 years old.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML320, Looking for my S4
wow you guys are guna hate me for this.
I drive a 1996 w210 E320. and i'm 17. I was a waiter in manahatten for a year and i was making anywhere from 600-1200 a week and i paid for the car by my self. My parents said they wanted me to pay for my own car so that i would respect the value of a buck. and ya know what. it was the greatest lesson i've ever learned.

Last edited by Tommy_s4; 10-04-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:18 AM

'05 C230 K SS
My parents bought me a new '05 C230 KSS for Christmas 2004. I was 17 at the time.

I learned how to drive on a Camry for about 6 months, then they bought me a '01 C240 which I only drove for about 2 months. It had like 2 problems and my dad insisted that I got a new car. I am spoiled rotten, but in all honesty, I just need something that will take me from point A to point B in one piece. Of course, having a Benz is awesome too. Actually, my dad tried to buy me a new BMW 5 series... but I refused to accept such an expensive car and we went across the street to MB. Much better choice, IMO. Basically, I have super paranoid parents very concerned about my safety that believe I have a better chance of surviving an accident in a benz than a Jetta or something like that.

I probably have the nicest car out of all my friends and I don't exactly fit the stereotype of a poor college student. I don't feel any different from someone driving a '87 Chevy (best friend). I don't think having a nicer car matters much. It sucks though, because people automatically assume that I'm super rich and snobby or something (not true) and sometimes I feel alienated.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:07 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
I had a benz and few other blingy rides between the ages of 20-24, then I went with a new SL at 25....I feel the same as anyone with a nice ride, but then again I dream of Murcielagos every nightThe car doesnt matter too much in the big PIC and at the end of the day even my precious SL is a depreciating pile of crout. lol
Old 10-05-2006, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
Originally Posted by TommyGunn
I drive a 1996 w210 E320. and i'm 17. I was a waiter in manahatten for a year and i was making anywhere from 600-1200 a week and i paid for the car by my self. My parents said they wanted me to pay for my own car so that i would respect the value of a buck. and ya know what. it was the greatest lesson i've ever learned.
Good job. Be proud of it. I know what if feels like.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML320, Looking for my S4
Originally Posted by Ryanr317
Good job. Be proud of it. I know what if feels like.
thanks for the respect
Old 10-05-2006, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
4 matic
I'm 25 drive a 98 e320 4-matic paid for by me. My parents have not helped me pay for any of the 3 cars I have had since driving age.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:20 PM

I'm 20, and I've owned (paid in cash)

1990 300ZX NA
1991 300ZX TT

both of which are sold now, below are the cars I currently own.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by TommyGunn
No we don't.

Just learn how to spell or use a spellchecker next time.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
No we don't.

Just learn how to spell or use a spellchecker next time.

LOL