Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Posing.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 03:09 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'98 BMW 540iA ZSP, '94 BMW 530iA (sold)
Posing.

I've noticed that a lot of MB owners like to pose. For example, several days ago while I was eating at Boston market, I saw a "CLS600 AMG" parked outside. I'm pretty sure that's fake. (I also made a point of saying very loudly to my finance that there is no such thing as a CLS600 AMG and the person who did that is a posing loser. I'm sure everyone in there heard me, and ten minutes later an Asian guy sitting one table over got up and walked out to the car. He had his head down and wouldn't look at anyone in the store. It was priceless.)

Also, I was at a high line dealer down the street from my house (looking at Maserati's and drooling) when I saw what I thought was an SL55 AMG. After asking the salesperson about it, it turns out it was a SL500 with AMG badges and wheels.

When I used to work in mortgages, I had a co-worker that was really into Mercedes. He told me about how he purchased an S430 and rebadged it S600, and how he currently owned a CLK320 that was badged CLK500.

And finally, I was talking to another co-worker, and she told me how some loser at the dealership where she took her E320 rebadged his S500 to S600, and even told the dealer it was a V12. He got away with that until the dealer ordered a V12 part for his car, opened the hood, and found out it wasn't.

IMHO, all these instances are pathetic. I know this happens with ever type of car, but I've personally seen it happen the most with Mercedes. Why? Or is my sample skewed and it happens with all cars evenly?

Last edited by fm.watch; 01-31-2007 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Alright already! I took off my Type-R badge!
Old 01-31-2007, 03:30 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by RBrenton
Alright already! I took off my Type-R badge!
Hahaha, yea, I took mine off too after I saw this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WlDLybhuOH0

OMG! My 540iGTR-S RSX Type R has a V6 rotary too!
Old 01-31-2007, 04:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by fm.watch
I've noticed that a lot of MB owners like to pose. For example, several days ago while I was eating at Boston market, I saw a "CLS600 AMG" parked outside. I'm pretty sure that's fake. (I also made a point of saying very loudly to my finance that there is no such thing as a CLS600 AMG and the person who did that is a posing loser. I'm sure everyone in there heard me, and ten minutes later an Asian guy sitting one table over got up and walked out to the car. He had his head down and wouldn't look at anyone in the store. It was priceless.)

Also, I was at a high line dealer down the street from my house (looking at Maserati's and drooling) when I saw what I thought was an SL55 AMG. After asking the salesperson about it, it turns out it was a SL500 with AMG badges and wheels.

When I used to work in mortgages, I had a co-worker that was really into Mercedes. He told me about how he purchased an S430 and rebadged it S600, and how he currently owned a CLK320 that was badged CLK500.

And finally, I was talking to another co-worker, and she told me how some loser at the dealership where she took her E320 rebadged his S500 to S600, and even told the dealer it was a V12. He got away with that until the dealer ordered a V12 part for his car, opened the hood, and found out it wasn't.

IMHO, all these instances are pathetic. I know this happens with ever type of car, but I've personally seen it happen the most with Mercedes. Why? Or is my sample skewed and it happens with all cars evenly?
Mercedes owners need even bigger penises to match their huge fake wallets.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1993 300SEL/S320
Well I hope that made you feel bigger than you are. There are those that pose and then others who enjoy calling people out which IMO is just as bad.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:42 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by NZ_Benz
Well I hope that made you feel bigger than you are. There are those that pose and then others who enjoy calling people out which IMO is just as bad.
I had a good laugh. What's wrong with calling people out?
Old 01-31-2007, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1993 300SEL/S320
I had a good laugh. What's wrong with calling people out?
I don't see the need, admit it you enjoyed making someone feel ashamed infront of a bunch of strangers. Whats with that?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:46 PM

I don't see the need, admit it you enjoyed making someone feel ashamed infront of a bunch of strangers. Whats with that?

I agree - I don't see the merit nor benefit of humiliating people infront of others. As long as the the "poser" is not bothering nor pestering you... To each his own - if that makes the "poser" happy, why can't you just leave him alone? Maybe it's the equivalent of a "cheaper" mod, who knows. Whatever the reason is, he has that right, doesn't he?
Old 01-31-2007, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Agree....besides, how arrogant can you be to think people were actually paying attention to, or understood, your comments?
Old 01-31-2007, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
It's his/her car. Deal with it.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
I was next to a goldy colored CLS500 'AMG' on Fairfax today. Wish I'd caught him on an empty highway (though in LA that's a rarity)

I just don't get why people don't leave a perfectly good car alone. Sports packs and nice wheels are fine but fake badging is pathetic, imo. It'd be like me putting "500bhp" as my vanity plate.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Almost a Member!

He put on his badges to make other people feel bad about themselves around him. Generally, the point of posing like that is to show off you're "richer" than everyone else, and try to rub it in everyones face... the only thing about posing, is it's lying about being richer, just to make other people feel less adequate. It's funny to see the tables turned on stupid people like that. He probably spent the last weeks or months telling all of his friends he was better than them because he could afford a "cls600 amg". Now he got his due for lying about it.

If you guys don't like calling out posers, would you call out someone on this forum that claims he has cars he doesn't? What if some kid comes on here and says he has an SLR Mclaren? Aren't you going to call him out if he's lying about it? I've seen it happen many times. Whats the difference between that and what I did?

Last edited by fm.watch; 02-01-2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by mleskovar
Agree....besides, how arrogant can you be to think people were actually paying attention to, or understood, your comments?
I'm sure he heard it, and that's all that matters.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
He put on his badges to make other people feel bad about themselves around him. Generally, the point of posing like that is to show off you're "richer" than everyone else, and try to rub it in everyones face... the only thing about posing, is it's lying about being richer, just to make other people feel less adequate. It's funny to see the tables turned on stupid people like that. He probably spent the last weeks or months telling all of his friends he was better than them because he could afford a "cls600 amg". Now he got his due for lying about it.

If you guys don't like calling out posers, would you call out someone on this forum that claims he has cars he doesn't? What if some kid comes on here and says he has an SLR Mclaren? Aren't you going to call him out if he's lying about it? I've seen it happen many times. Whats the difference between that and what I did?

I know I'll get flamed for agreeing with you.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1993 300SEL/S320

So if anyone has a better car than you it makes you feel bad about yourself? Is that why you called him out? The fact that he had a CLS600 made you feel so bad that you had to show your girlfriend and everyone else there how insecure you are? Dude your pretty sad.

There is a huge difference between calling someone who says they have a particular car when they don't I mean this guy did infact have a CLS didn't he?

I can't understand why you would be so envious as to do something like that, who are you to make a scene like that infront of a bunch of people?
Old 02-01-2007, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63

Kinda like the BMW guys who slap "M" badges all over their stuff.........you know the guys I'm talking about.......huh?
Old 02-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
So if anyone has a better car than you it makes you feel bad about yourself? Is that why you called him out? The fact that he had a CLS600 made you feel so bad that you had to show your girlfriend and everyone else there how insecure you are? Dude your pretty sad.

There is a huge difference between calling someone who says they have a particular car when they don't I mean this guy did infact have a CLS didn't he?

I can't understand why you would be so envious as to do something like that, who are you to make a scene like that infront of a bunch of people?
Maybe this is where he and I differ. I don't have a problem with seeing all these nice cars, sure I may get a little jealous but that only makes me work a little harder and dream bigger. I don't like these posers because...well, maybe an example would better explain why.

Let's say you have a brand new S600. Then along some guy with an S550 rebadges it as an S600 and tries to pass it off as such. Wouldn't it kind of **** you off, knowing that you paid almost $40,000 to get the real S600, when some knock off comes up next to you and tries passing his lower S-Class as the same thing you've got.

You worked harder to get the $40,000 so you could get the real S600. This guy is trying to take the easy way out by spending less money, and making it seem like he paid more. You worked harder so you could afford it.

Maybe I'm not explaining it well either.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1993 300SEL/S320
Originally Posted by AsianML
Maybe this is where he and I differ. I don't have a problem with seeing all these nice cars, sure I may get a little jealous but that only makes me work a little harder and dream bigger. I don't like these posers because...well, maybe an example would better explain why.

Let's say you have a brand new S600. Then along some guy with an S550 rebadges it as an S600 and tries to pass it off as such. Wouldn't it kind of **** you off, knowing that you paid almost $40,000 to get the real S600, when some knock off comes up next to you and tries passing his lower S-Class as the same thing you've got.

You worked harder to get the $40,000 so you could get the real S600. This guy is trying to take the easy way out by spending less money, and making it seem like he paid more. You worked harder so you could afford it.

Maybe I'm not explaining it well either.
I'd have a little laugh to myself, but at the end of day I'd know I had the real thing and thats what matters, I'd see no need to call him out either in private or in front of a bunch of people I don't see the point. I see S280 W140's that are badged as 320's all the time here and I see the people that drive them around too but I don't bother to say anything as I really don't care that much about someone who I don't even know let alone their car and the little badges on the back.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
The badges make them feel better. If it really bothers you that someone has a certain badge on their car, then you've got the problem. I mean, I will poke fun, and have some fun with the so called "posers", but I don't care whatever they have on their car.

AML- If you feel that mad because someone is trying to imitate your car, you've got some insecurity issues (not you per se, just responding to your example).
Old 02-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
I can see both sides of this issue, because I've done it.

Years ago, I "upgraded" mom's W126 420SEL to a 560. I was young and dumb(er) back then, but really wanted her to have the "good" model.

Seems it still occurs with alarming frequency. Now that I'm purchasing my own cars, I pay the freight for the real thing. Got a neighbor with a C230 AMG, and while I've never called him out on it, he knows and I know. He smiles, and I smile back. To each his own, in the games people play.

I try to avoid confrontation in most aspects of my life. Take comfort in the fact that we know who the posers are. "Didn't fool me"...lol

Last edited by splinter; 02-01-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
The badges make them feel better. If it really bothers you that someone has a certain badge on their car, then you've got the problem. I mean, I will poke fun, and have some fun with the so called "posers", but I don't care whatever they have on their car.

AML- If you feel that mad because someone is trying to imitate your car, you've got some insecurity issues (not you per se, just responding to your example).
Well I don't really know what the OP is trying to get at.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:29 AM
Almost a Member!

2007 CLS550
Not sure it's just Mercedes owners. I cannot tell you how many fake Ford "Lightnings" I've seen. Just think, adding a couple $20.00 dollar badges makes your truck supercharged.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Wow some of you guys are complete pansies. Posers should be taken out and shot, no quarter, no mercy. They claim respect that they don't deserve, and for that reason alone they should be ridiculed at every impass. I worked like a madman to get my ///M, and any tool that rebadges a 530i and slaps some M5 wheels and bumpers on it gets the business, every time.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:44 PM

2019 AMG C43, 2019 GLC 300, 1988 BMW 528E
On a much smaller scale, yet in a similar situation, if you were a woman carrying a Louis Vuitton purse (maybe worth $2,000) and you saw another woman carrying a fake LV purse (maybe worth $75), would you call her out on it?? Nooooo... nobody does that. But you just know you are carrying the real thing that will last for years and the other person has something that will fall apart soon. I don't know, maybe it's a guy thing, that you need to embarrass someone else to feel better about yourself.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by venezzia
On a much smaller scale, yet in a similar situation, if you were a woman carrying a Louis Vuitton purse (maybe worth $2,000) and you saw another woman carrying a fake LV purse (maybe worth $75), would you call her out on it?? Nooooo... nobody does that. But you just know you are carrying the real thing that will last for years and the other person has something that will fall apart soon. I don't know, maybe it's a guy thing, that you need to embarrass someone else to feel better about yourself.
It is.....we're talking about cars.Now if let's say........hmmm........your neighbor was pushing around a Hoover re-badged as a Kirby...wouldn't that ruffle your feather duster ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Posing.