Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Recommendations for best dealers in California - New Car Purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recommendations for best dealers in California - New Car Purchase

I read from some of the boards that the Laguna Niguel dealership is pretty fair in terms of negotiating. But based upon all of your experiences who would you guys recommend as good dealers to talk to in California.

I may call or fax every dealer in the state with the final figure I want to get my C230 and see who bites, but that may be too time consuming. Your recommendations would at least help narrow the field. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 : 2007 C230
I bought my C230 Coupe at Laguna Niguel, they gave me a price my closest dealer just laughed at. Well, so did LN, but they gave in the next day. My salesman was Larry Fell, he was straight with me and I did most of the deal over the phone. I will definately be shopping there again when it's time to replace the "Lemon".
Old 01-13-2002, 08:39 PM
Almost a Member!

'00 ML430; '00 C230K; '01 CL500 (passed along...)
Hoehn in Carlsbad is great for purchase and servicing. Ask for the manager, Homer.

MB of San Diego, on the other hand, gets low marks in both departments.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Don't go to Keyes in Van Nuys. I've heard the horror stories about that place.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:28 AM
Out Of Control!

House Of Imports!! You won't be disappointed! Got mine there!
Old 01-14-2002, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Post MB DEALERS

I Bought my C COUPE FROM Mercedes benz of Laguna Niguel
It was the best car purchase I have EVER HAD The whole deal was Great!! Talk to SHELLY............. NO PRESSURE at all!!

MY last Purchase was from Fletcher Jones What a JOKE!!
I will NEVER DO ANY FUTURE BIZ WITH THEM!! AT ALL !!

just my 02::
Old 01-14-2002, 08:37 PM
Out Of Control!

Hey Mark!

What happened at the Flectcher??
Old 01-15-2002, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs down Fletcher Jones

I Bought my 2000 e class wagon from Fletcher Jones MBZ WHY?
well....IT was the correct color and options that I wanted...
they TRIED to LAY ME away in a lease for 3000.00 down and 1250.00a MONTH!!! thru mbcc I said WTF are you smoking?
and you should have at least shared some before showing me NUMBERS like these!!!! well after ALL day I got the numbers correct thanks to several friends in the CAR BIZ(THANK YOU)
and they DELIVERED the wagon to me in the DARK(first error)
cause the next day when I pulled the wagon out to INSPECT IT
IT was covered with water spots,the roof had several scratches in it so back it went to fletcher for ONE WEEK and when i picked up the car it looked OK til I saw the front bumper HIT,several door dings,NOW Im PISSED leave it again FOR A WEEK only to pick it up filthy and the interior was as if they left the windows down for the week so ok I take it home to clean it up and the next visit also for one week to replace a a/c evap sensor and a DASH I was told to PAY for the RENTAL car BILL so I see the service manager no LUCK,the sales man HEH HEH,THE GM FORGET
him!SO they had my amex card so I left I contacted channel 2 and they got me MY money BACK and THEN FLETCHER paid off my trade late so I was slapped with LATE charge on a car I no longer OWNED SO do you THINK I will BUY ANOTHER CAR FROM FLETCHER
.............NOT
Old 01-15-2002, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Mark, your experience proves (in the car business) that the biggest is not always the best. I would have been absolutely livid with what you went through. The funny thing is bad news travels much faster than good news so maybe your post will get to someone who can make a difference.
Old 01-15-2002, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs down FLETCHER JONES

Well.....I think CBS 2 DID the best as HOW MANY PEOPLE watching the NEWS saw the piece? MILLIONS!!!!! and they CBS ran the piece SEVERAL TIMES....THANK YOU CBS!!
Old 01-16-2002, 05:09 AM

DOWNTOWN LA Motors isn't that bad either. Many ppl in LA get their cars from there. I bought mine at South Bay and have not had a problem yet.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:35 AM
Out Of Control!

I was gonna get mine at South Bay but i've heard of not so good customer service around there so i said forget it.
Old 01-16-2002, 04:08 PM

C32 AMG
Got mine from Caliber motors in Anaheim Hills. The sales person (Kenneth) was super nice and they gave me a good deal on my trade-in. I actually had a C32 on order from Fletcher Jones and then later cancelled it and got a full refund with no problems because I found one at Caliber . I've also heard some bad news about Keyes, and both my cousin and I have had HORRIBLE experiences at Torrance Mercedes. Don't go there.
Old 02-21-2002, 07:45 AM

2023 E450 wagon 2011 Toyota Tacoma
Just got an E320 wagon from Aaron Rice at MB of South Bay in Torrance. Had to be the worse car buying experience I've been through. The guy didn't know the vehicle. Promised me he'd lower the price of my vehicle if I could show him a lower price offer from their website. Got that promise in writing. Came back the next day with the lower price offer. He tried to squirm out of the written addendum and then got hostile when I wouldn't drop it. Showed no interest in hearing my grievances. He said he wouldn't lower price, he's heard this kind of complaint from customers before and he knows what his rights are. He said I would have to live with the price, there's nothing I could do and that I should hire an attorney to find out that he was right. When I threated to cancel the sale if he didn't honor the contract, he threatened me with a lawsuit. Of course, I told him I was cancelling the sale and left the keys and the car at the dealer.

When I got back home he'd left a voice mail for me reiterating that I had no recourse and told me that if I cancelled my check, I would face criminal prosecution because that's a 'federal offense under california state law' Of course, I cancelled my check.

I wrote to the Sales Manager and told him I refused to work with Aaron Rice any further. He called me and we worked out a reasonable price and I retrieved the vehicle. I don't know why Aaron couldn't do that to start with. Absolutely the worse customer service skills I've ever seen. This man almost had me driving an Audi
Old 02-21-2002, 10:23 AM
Out Of Control!

Hey s810!

Amazingly enough that's actually the same exact guy that i dealt with when i was about to put my deposit down when i was looking for my E55. He said that "if you put a deposit down you know there's a premium right??... and i asked him how much? He said "$10k"?? I was like nope! And walked away and then he started to follow me and was asking "let's make a deal..". I eventually told him no thanks!!

Last edited by JamE55; 02-21-2002 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-22-2002, 12:56 AM
smv

A plug for Penske

I bought my CLK 320 from Penske in West Covina a few months ago. It was a great buying experience. I told the salesman (Rick Rodgers) that I wanted a specific car in an admittedly weird color (quartz blue), and he immediately found one coming in on the boat to another dealer. He traded for it and matched the House of Imports price. And ... all of this was done over the phone, with no deposit whatsoever! Two or three weeks later, I had my car.

I have not (thankfully) had to use Penske for service yet, but I have helped myself to their complimentary car washes every week or two. They also treated my wife and me (and about 50 other new owners) to a buffet dinner to softly pitch their service and accessories. To say the least, so far, so good.

Due to the fact that I was trying to buy a somewhat hard-to-get car, I spent a lot of time on the phone and Internet with dealers in the L.A. area. Most of them had no interest (perhaps understandably) in selling me the car I wanted. The two showrooms I visited in person -- in Pasadena and Glendale -- left me with experiences that were less than ideal.