Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Attorney recommendation in SoCal for car accident?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
Attorney recommendation in SoCal for car accident?

My 08 E550 w/ less than 3000 miles on the odo was hit on Dec 14th while it was parked. The damage was $8k to fix.

The guy who hit me was driving a rental truck, and his insurance is just giving me the run around.

I really need to get an attorney involved, but since I've never needed one, I don't know how to find a good one.

If someone can give me advice on finding a good one or refer to me to one, I'd appreciate it.

I'm in Orange County, Calif.

Thanks,
Vik
Old 02-01-2008, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Check out www.handelonthelaw.com or maybe Larry H. Parker?
Old 02-02-2008, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
I Have a Very Good Lawyer That will handle it..Pm me If You want his info
Old 02-06-2008, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 BMW e92 335i, '07 MB E350
i have a great lawyer who is handling my case right now..pm for info
Old 03-05-2008, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Vik888
My 08 E550 w/ less than 3000 miles on the odo was hit on Dec 14th while it was parked. The damage was $8k to fix.

The guy who hit me was driving a rental truck, and his insurance is just giving me the run around.

I really need to get an attorney involved, but since I've never needed one, I don't know how to find a good one.

If someone can give me advice on finding a good one or refer to me to one, I'd appreciate it.

I'm in Orange County, Calif.

Thanks,
Vik
Make sure that you get your attorney to sue, under tort law, for diminished value. Your insurance company has an exclusion in your policy that they will not pay diminished value claims or subrogate for them. However, you can go after the other party and its insurance company for DV separately.

What diminished value is basically: Would you pay the same for a fixed MB as for one that had not been in an accident, no matter how good the repair? What was the difference in value at the time of the collision/loss? This difference in value is basically diminished value. But read on about the other factors.

Also, the claim may show up on Carfax - meaning it will be public knowledge the car was repaired - and certainly on a "secret" insurance industry database, even though the accident may not have been your fault. You will then pay more in car insurance when you renew, so you should get your insurance company to estimate the rate increase even if they say I am telling you nonsense.

I understand that MBUSA may not give you as much at trade in time for the car if the loss is over a certain amount or involves certain components. Moreover, they may not be able to resell the car as a MB certified used car (CPO) if there was damage or there is a Carfax report. They will then give you less at trade-in because they will sell the car at a secondary auction rather than at the primary MBUSA dealer auction if they don't decide to sell the car themselves. If you decide to keep the car you may not be able to buy a CPO warranty. (I know nothing about a lease.) All of this can be taken into account in a DV claim.

Finally, make sure that you find an attorney who is savvy about DV - there are very few of them. You can google. I think popular one is "my car lost value." You also need an expert witness on DV - usually a body shop veteran - who is willing to give a DV estimate and also testify effectively in court.

Finally, some states, I think MA, will not enforce a DV claim in court no doubt due to the plethra of IC headquartered there!

But CA I believe was in the vanguard of DV claims.

In any case be guided by your attorney when you find a good one.

Best of luck

Last edited by grane; 03-05-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by grane
Make sure that you get your attorney to sue, under tort law, for diminished value. Your insurance company has an exclusion in your policy that they will not pay diminished value claims or subrogate for them. However, you can go after the other party and its insurance company for DV separately.

What diminished value is basically: Would you pay the same for a fixed MB as for one that had not been in an accident, no matter how good the repair? What was the difference in value at the time of the collision/loss?

Also, the claim may show up on Carfax - meaning it will be public knowledge the car was repaired - and certainly on a "secret" insurance industry database, even though the accident may not have been your fault. You will then pay more in car insurance when you renew, so you should get your insurance company to estimate the rate increase even if they say I am telling you nonsense.

I understand that MBUSA may not give you as much at trade in time for the car if the loss is over a certain amount or involves certain components. Moreover, they may not be able to resell the car as a MB certified used car (CPO) if there was damage or there is a Carfax report. They will then give you less at trade-in because they will sell the car at a secondary auction rather than at the primary MBUSA dealer auction if they don't decide to sell the car themselves. If you decide to keep the car you may not be able to buy a CPO warranty. (I know nothing about a lease.) All of this can be taken into account in a DV claim.

Finally, make sure that you find an attorney who is savvy about DV - there are very few of them. You can google. I think popular one is "my car lost value." You also need an expert witness on DV - usually a body shop veteran - who is willing to give a DV estimate and also testify effectively in court.

Finally, some states, I think MA, will not enforce a DV claim in court no doubt due to the plethra of IC headquartered there!

But CA I believe was in the vanguard of DV claims.

In any case be guided by your attorney when you find a good one.

Best of luck
Hmmm all those facts sound fishy, I don't think he knows what he is talking aobut.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by BryanW203
Hmmm all those facts sound fishy, I don't think he knows what he is talking aobut.
Wow, rolf, do you make a convincing argument!

Are you an car insurance agent or an adjustor trying dissuade our friend from exploring this cause of action?

Perhaps you can attempt to refute my points in a more detailed fashion?
Old 03-05-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by grane
Wow, rolf, do you make a convincing argument!

Are you an car insurance agent or an adjustor trying dissuade our friend from exploring this cause of action?

Perhaps you can attempt to refute my points in a more detailed fashion?
I was hoping the would get my sarcasm across better.
It seems that you know what you are talking about!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by BryanW203

I was hoping the would get my sarcasm across better.
It seems that you know what you are talking about!
Well done, brother, sorry I would doubt you!

I hope we can take an advanced driving course at Loudon,NH or better Silverstone, UK or the AMG factory together!

I'll buy lunch. Unless the guy who put $75k into his $29k Subaru MRX or whatever with the red brakes offers! We'll not turn him down!

Grane

PS
I hope our fellow member takes my comments seriously but not literally. I am not am an attorney so I am not giving legal advice but just let us say I have some experience in this matter...as many of us, including yourself, have in matters in life, so short, so bittersweet.

Last edited by grane; 03-05-2008 at 09:00 PM.