Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Manhiem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK550
Manhiem

Who here is familier with Manhiem? I have a connection that can pick me up a Benzo from Manhiem but i'm not sure what kina cars go to Manhiem. He claims he can get clean cars but i'm not sure and wanted some imput. Do you guys think picking up a pre-owned MB from Manhiem is a good idea? Why do cars there go for so cheap and are they beat or regular cars? I really wana CLS and Manhiem has them going for 5-7k less than private party-dealers.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by Amiricanmade
Who here is familier with Manhiem? I have a connection that can pick me up a Benzo from Manhiem but i'm not sure what kina cars go to Manhiem. He claims he can get clean cars but i'm not sure and wanted some imput. Do you guys think picking up a pre-owned MB from Manhiem is a good idea? Why do cars there go for so cheap and are they beat or regular cars? I really wana CLS and Manhiem has them going for 5-7k less than private party-dealers.
Manheim is a dealer wholesale auction. The cars that go thru there are a crap shoot. Some are good and others are bad or marginal. Remember the dealers that trade in the cars keep the cream of the crop for their own resale. If there is frame damage to a Manheim vehicle the seller is supposed to notify the auction and it goes thru on a "red light". Your friend can lose his auction privleges if he is caught taking a retail buyer in to buy and the sale can be nulified if you are actually caught on the premisis buying a car. Some unscrupulous used car dealers try to take buyers in for a fee. Some get caught and others do not. It is frowned upon and those that do get caught are usually turned in by another dealer who is legit.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK550
Originally Posted by sosh
Manheim is a dealer wholesale auction. The cars that go thru there are a crap shoot. Some are good and others are bad or marginal. Remember the dealers that trade in the cars keep the cream of the crop for their own resale. If there is frame damage to a Manheim vehicle the seller is supposed to notify the auction and it goes thru on a "red light". Your friend can lose his auction privleges if he is caught taking a retail buyer in to buy and the sale can be nulified if you are actually caught on the premisis buying a car. Some unscrupulous used car dealers try to take buyers in for a fee. Some get caught and others do not. It is frowned upon and those that do get caught are usually turned in by another dealer who is legit.

Thanks for the info...i should have put my cousin becuase thats what he is to me but i refferd to him as a friend.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the info...i should have put my cousin becuase thats what he is to me but i refferd to him as a friend.
Makes no difference, friend or relative the statements I made hold for either. The big problem is that as I said its a crap shoot you do not have any time to completely go over the car or have it checked out and you have no recourse if there is a problem. I would go thru normal channels and buy one from an MB dealer with Starmark warranty. It could very well be less expensive in the long run.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:00 PM

that red one
Another issue with buying a car from an auction is that the car won't be a CPO. No warranties...cars are bought "as-is". Cars are put into three catagories: above average, average and below average. As stated by SOSH, dealers that put vehicles in auctions are required to disclose any and all damage to the cars exterior, interior and any engine trouble but unfortunately not all disclose these things.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK550
Originally Posted by itswindee
Another issue with buying a car from an auction is that the car won't be a CPO. No warranties...cars are bought "as-is". Cars are put into three catagories: above average, average and below average. As stated by SOSH, dealers that put vehicles in auctions are required to disclose any and all damage to the cars exterior, interior and any engine trouble but unfortunately not all disclose these things.

Ya i reolized there is no CPO after i had a talk with MB today. They said that i could still buy a 3rd party warrenty...which i have no clue how good it is.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ya i reolized there is no CPO after i had a talk with MB today. They said that i could still buy a 3rd party warrenty...which i have no clue how good it is.
Many of the 3rd party warranties are not worth the paper they are written on. Look, you are buying a luxury vehicle thats expensive. The additional cost of buying from a dealer and CPOed is insignificant.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:11 PM

that red one
Originally Posted by sosh
Many of the 3rd party warranties are not worth the paper they are written on. Look, you are buying a luxury vehicle thats expensive. The additional cost of buying from a dealer and CPOed is insignificant.

+1 - couldn't agree more.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:29 AM

2005 e320, 2005 c230k
Manheim

A dealer gave me his logon info and I surfed Manheim hard for about two weeks. I even found the sold price for some specific cars to get a feel for what the local dealer markup is.

I found that Manheim will do a fairly detailed condition report, complete with photos, although it does not do a mechanical condition report on the cars that are up for auction. Yes, some looked pretty nasty.

The low mileage cars do have the manufacturer's warranty. It is not always true that the dealers always keep the cream of the crop, because I was looking at a 4.5/5.0 condition e320 at the MB dealer. He bought the car at the auction.

I also talked with a credit union remarketing officer, and they send everything they get as lease returns directly to the auction, as they are not car dealers.

So my conclusion is that there is no rule to live by, and that nearly everything you see on a lot probably came from the auction. The only way to not get an auction car is to run a carfax to see the ownership history and get it from a private owner. As I pointed out, even the MB dealer bought cars from the auction.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mentor1
A dealer gave me his logon info and I surfed Manheim hard for about two weeks. I even found the sold price for some specific cars to get a feel for what the local dealer markup is.

I found that Manheim will do a fairly detailed condition report, complete with photos, although it does not do a mechanical condition report on the cars that are up for auction. Yes, some looked pretty nasty.

The low mileage cars do have the manufacturer's warranty. It is not always true that the dealers always keep the cream of the crop, because I was looking at a 4.5/5.0 condition e320 at the MB dealer. He bought the car at the auction.

I also talked with a credit union remarketing officer, and they send everything they get as lease returns directly to the auction, as they are not car dealers.

So my conclusion is that there is no rule to live by, and that nearly everything you see on a lot probably came from the auction. The only way to not get an auction car is to run a carfax to see the ownership history and get it from a private owner. As I pointed out, even the MB dealer bought cars from the auction.
Of course dealers sell and buy at auctions. This enables them to keep their inventory at a level for each model that fits their sales goals. However they will only buy a car that has an MB history of correct maint and service with no bad history. This way they will be able to starmark it. As far as the detailed history or condition that Manheim provides, this is cosmetic only plus perhaps the tire condition. These are the least important items on an MB and the least expensive to correct. Again, of course the low mileage cars and younger cars have remaining factory warranty. By the way your friend violated one of the Manheim rules by providing you with access to the database. he must be a really trustworthy guy. It must be a great feeling to be distrusted among a group of used car dealers. Also maost leasing companies and finance companies dispose of their off lease and repo cars at the auction, but again even they have no inkling of its mechanical condition.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:13 PM

that red one
By the way I am very familar with Manheim and other auction sites too. My father is a wholesaler and I worked with him for many years and have access to Manheim as well.

Buying the car directly from the auction at the auction price is just as dangerous as if you buy a car from a private party without taking it to a mechanic to get it checked out first. While you think your friend/relative is doing you a favor by saving you a money upfront on the purchase price, it could come back and bite you hard on the backside. Even though the car might look great in the pictures and even in person, without thoroughly checking it out BEFORE you purchase it is just a bad idea IMO no matter what catagory the car has been placed in (average or above average condition)

When dealers purchase cars from the auction, they are "reconditioned" before being sold to the public which is in part, part of their markup. The cars are extensively and thoroughly checked out and whatever issues they find no matter how minor, they tend to fix before reselling.

What happens if your friend/relative buys the car and two days later while you now own it something breaks or is already broken that you didn't know about? Several things can happen, 1) you're stuck with the repair bill or 2) you and your dealer buddy could be in for a very big fight with each other. He doesn't want the car because now, he's going to have to fix it for you at your expense or if you don't want it, then he's going to have to repair it and resell the car and you'll probabaly have one less friend. This is not something I would want to go through all to save a few thousand dollars upfront. It could end up costing you even more in the long run.

Last edited by itswindee; 06-08-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK550
[QUOTE=itswindee;2871232]
When dealers purchase cars from the auction, they are "reconditioned" before being sold to the public which is in part, part of their markup. The cars are extensively and thoroughly checked out and whatever issues they find no matter how minor, they tend to fix before reselling.

QUOTE]

Not the case with all cars but i get your point. Ill be going to Manhiem in a couple weeks to check out a CLS500, if i see one with a clean car-fax i will then call my buddy who will check out the VIN and tell me how the service at MB for it looks ...if by doing that i still don't find a nice car the im just shiiit out of luck. I rather take this chance and save me 8k

Thanks for everyone's input...lets not forget that not ALL cars from manhiem are lemons...there are some good ones. Consider this...if you go to any NON-MB dealer and wana buy a MB, chances are that car your looking at is a Manhiem car.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:25 PM

that red one

Not the case with all cars but i get your point. Ill be going to Manhiem in a couple weeks to check out a CLS500, if i see one with a clean car-fax i will then call my buddy who will check out the VIN and tell me how the service at MB for it looks ...if by doing that i still don't find a nice car the im just shiiit out of luck. I rather take this chance and save me 8k

Thanks for everyone's input...lets not forget that not ALL cars from manhiem are lemons...there are some good ones. Consider this...if you go to any NON-MB dealer and wana buy a MB, chances are that car your looking at is a Manhiem car.
I completely agree with you - not all cars that go to Manheim are lemons particularly the higher-end cars and even if you go to certified MB dealership, you may end up getting a car that was bought at an auction. I did. My C320that I have now was purchased in an Arizona auction. I bought the car from Fletcher Jones in Orange County and I know exactly what THEY paid for the car at the auction and I know what was "done" to it as far as "reconditioning". I'm sure there were other expenses that they incurred as well (shipping etc.)

Let's just say that I felt more comfortable knowing all of this information and was able to negotiate a "better" purchase price. I'm still glad I bought my car this way....let the dealership "pay" for anything that needs to fixed. Let them detail the car perfectly. Let them do the "inspection" of the car. The only thing at that point I wanted was for it to be a CPO which it was. Peace of mind for me.

Anyway, good luck to you!
Old 12-30-2010, 05:08 PM

CLS 550
I bought a MB from a dealer in Texas and they got the car from manheim. They even sent me the Menhaim inspection report. So if you like what you see, then buy it, if you don't, then run away to a certified MB dealer and pay bick bucks for your new baby. This dealer lists all incoming cars on their site so you have time to do some research. www.texascarsdirect.com IMO
Old 01-11-2011, 01:01 AM

What about the other side of the transaction - when is it good to sell a car through Manheim?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM

that red one
Originally Posted by hatchback
What about the other side of the transaction - when is it good to sell a car through Manheim?
I don't understand the question - that's like asking when is it a good time for a dealer to sell a car.....
Old 01-11-2011, 11:58 AM

CLS 550
Why an individual will ever sell their car at Manheim. Wouldn't you try to get the highest price for your car not the lowest?
Old 01-11-2011, 12:03 PM

that red one
Manheim auctions are for dealer's only. Not private parties.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by 220013047
Why an individual will ever sell their car at Manheim. Wouldn't you try to get the highest price for your car not the lowest?
Let's say someone wanted to get the quickest sale for a reasonable price, and they didn't want to put up with all the hassles of test rides etc. Seems like an auction would fit the bill. Of all the fast low-hassle ways to sell a car, which one gives the seller the best price?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:26 PM

that red one
Originally Posted by hatchback
Let's say someone wanted to get the quickest sale for a reasonable price, and they didn't want to put up with all the hassles of test rides etc. Seems like an auction would fit the bill. Of all the fast low-hassle ways to sell a car, which one gives the seller the best price?
I think you're missing a major point which is you have to be a dealer to buy and/or sell a car at a Manheim auction. You can't just walk in to an auction and say, I'd like to sell my car here. These auctions are not designed for "private party" buying or selling.

The fastest low-hassle way to sell your car fast is to trade it in. Do your homework as to what your car is really worth in this market and call around to dealerships and ask what they would give you for your car. Since you don't want the headache of selling it private party, this is the fastest, hassle-free way of getting rid of your car.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:28 PM

Nissan 370z
wow... first off manhiem auction is not lemon cars. They are cars collected as repo's, leases or certain year car that is unsaleable. MOST OF THESE are trade in's.

Manhiem does a full inspection of all automobiles and do not run bad titled cars, lemons or cars over 10 years old at most dealer auctions. They hold other auctions for those cars through manheim but different date or time.

I am an auto broker on the side and am able to purchase any kind of automobile through manhiem. The dealerships that you go through more then likely buy the cars from manhiem or go there to trade them if they dont have room on lot or asking too much.

Manheim InSight ECR is a premium, buyer-focused inspection product designed to increase in-lane and online success. Using state-of-the-art software, certified inspectors capture images and information related to vehicle equipment and condition.
Manheim InSight ECR features our exclusive AutoGrade - an industry first system that calculates the proper Manheim/NAAA Vehicle grade based on the collected vehicle information.
Vehicle images, Inspection content and AutoGrade appear online through Manheim's Simulcast and may also be posted with ove.com listed vehicles.
Buyer Benefits

• Increased buying confidence
  • Effective comparison shopping
  • Clear understanding of vehicle condition and reconditioning recommendations
  • Decreased risk of arbitration/buy back hassles
Seller Benefits

• Higher online sales percentage
  • Higher sales price in-lane and online
  • Clear understanding of reconditioning recommendations
  • Decreased risk of arbitration/buy back hassle
  • Buyers will be assured that the vehicle they purchase has been thoroughly inspected and has met the stringent requirements for inclusion in the Manheim Certified Program. The 14-day Guarantee that Manheim will repair or accept a return on any Manheim Certified vehicle gives the buyer extra confidence in the purchase.
  • Sellers will benefit from the fact that Manheim stands behind each Manheim Certified vehicle. The prime positioning in the sale with enhanced marketing attention equates to a higher sale price and an increased sales percentage.
  • Buyers will be assured that the vehicle they purchase has been thoroughly inspected and has met the stringent requirements for inclusion in the Manheim Certified Program. The 14-day Guarantee that Manheim will repair or accept a return on any Manheim Certified vehicle gives the buyer extra confidence in the purchase.
  • Sellers will benefit from the fact that Manheim stands behind each Manheim Certified vehicle. The prime positioning in the sale with enhanced marketing attention equates to a higher sale price and an increased sales percentage.

just my 2 cents..... well more like my dollars worth
Old 01-15-2011, 07:10 PM

CLS 55 AMG , AMG GTS
well, out of topic here, can anyone find out how many 07 CL 550 white or black in the manhiem and is going on auction soon? thank you so much
Old 01-16-2011, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
Originally Posted by steven0720
well, out of topic here, can anyone find out how many 07 CL 550 white or black in the manhiem and is going on auction soon? thank you so much
Date
Auction
Type Price
Odometer
Cond Color
Eng / Trans
In Sample
01/07/11
MANHEIM
Lease
$27,750
Below
GREY
8G / P
Yes
12/21/10
NADE
Regular
$38,200
Avg
Black
8G / A
Yes
01/05/11
ATLANTA
Regular
$48,200
Avg
BLACK
8G / A
Yes
01/13/11
RIVRSIDE
Regular
$45,250
Avg
DK BROWN
8G / A
Yes
01/14/11
MANHEIM
Regular
$43,250
Avg
GREY
8G / A
Yes
01/13/11
RIVRSIDE
Lease
$42,500
Avg
MCH BLK
8G / A
Yes
01/11/11
OHIO
Regular
$47,250
Avg
GRAY
8G / A
Yes
12/27/10
FAAO
Regular
$47,300
Avg
Black
8G / N
Yes
12/29/10
MILWAUKE
Lease
$49,500
Avg
MCH BLK
8G / A
Yes
01/06/11
MANHEIM
Lease
$48,000
Avg
BAR RED
8G / P
Yes
01/03/11
NEVADA
Lease
$51,400
Above
SILVER
8G / A
Yes

These are past sales-not current units listed on ove, ect.
Hope it helps!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:42 PM

Nissan 370z
Above Average Below
$54,570 $44,418 $34,266
19,924 39,848 59,772

FIRST LINE: CONDITION
SECOND LINE: SALE PRICE
THIRD LINE: ODOMETER

THESES ARE THE TRANSACTIONS OVER THE PAST 2 MONTHS:

01/14/11 MANHEIM Regular $43,250 33,711 Avg GREY 8G A Yes 01/13/11 RIVRSIDE Regular $45,250 36,105 Avg DK BROWN 8G A Yes 01/13/11 RIVRSIDE Lease $42,500 32,581 Avg MCH BLK 8G A Yes 01/11/11 OHIO Regular $47,250 32,522 Avg GRAY 8G A Yes 01/07/11 MANHEIM Lease $27,750 84,264 Below GREY 8G P Yes 01/06/11 MANHEIM Lease $48,000 25,765 Avg BAR RED 8G P Yes 01/05/11 ATLANTA Regular $48,200 42,917 Avg BLACK 8G A Yes 01/03/11 NEVADA Lease $51,400 21,854 Above SILVER 8G A Yes 12/29/10 MILWAUKE Lease $49,500 27,275 Avg MCH BLK 8G A Yes 12/27/10 FAAO Regular $47,300 30,489 Avg Black 8G N Yes 12/21/10 NADE Regular $38,200 70,840 Avg Black 8G A Yes