Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

2010 Mercedes Benz SLS AMG Preview article

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes Benz SLS AMG Preview article

Hey guys,

How do you like the look of the SLS AMG. It seems to have done a nice job of being very much a modern vehicle with classic touches, unlike the American Muscle Car revival where the Mustang and Challenger look more retro than inspired by and older look.

What do you like about the SLS AMG? What else would the gull wing look cool on? What don't you like? Are the power statistics looking good?

Early estimates say it won't cost more than $200,000. With a limited production run, are you interested in getting one for collecting purposes? Do you think it is the type of specialty model that will appreciate?

You can find the preview on the homepage along with other great articles: www.MBWorld.org

You want to talk AMG forever? We'll oblige you with the threads: https://mbworld.org/forums/tags/amg.html

Thanks
Old 10-12-2009, 12:06 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
S320 GL350
I like the "idea" of the SL being brought back - obviously SLS wasn't intended to evoke the original gull wing like the Challenger did. The "Idea" is buried within the exceptionally light weight, and I love the sound of the thing. I don't think it matters that it's the fastest thing around (or not) - It's probably the most refined machine I've seen lately - in a similar way that the Porsche Carerra was very refined. It would be a pure joy to drive, and I think it looks way better than the McLaren.

Imagine the price being reduced or the model being produced in volumes like the SL 550 for example, but with a diesel, a hybrid, or a more conventionally efficient engine - it would still be a joy to drive and well balanced. Overall a beautiful design job that brings the car into the realm of more "conventional" but beautiful designs, and sets it apart from the overly exotic designs (McLaren, Lamborghini, Ferarri) that are only enjoyed by a few Saudi Arabians and those with questionably earned $$ in Miami.

I can see some real success with this one's sales and would likely buy one of these before I would buy a ZR-1 Corvette, or a 911 Turbo.

Can't wait to see one in person.
Attached Thumbnails 2010 Mercedes Benz SLS AMG Preview article-img_0637large.jpg  
Old 10-30-2009, 01:40 PM

Daily - CL600
Originally Posted by MBWorld.org Editors
Hey guys,

How do you like the look of the SLS AMG. It seems to have done a nice job of being very much a modern vehicle with classic touches, unlike the American Muscle Car revival where the Mustang and Challenger look more retro than inspired by and older look.

What do you like about the SLS AMG? What else would the gull wing look cool on? What don't you like? Are the power statistics looking good?

Early estimates say it won't cost more than $200,000. With a limited production run, are you interested in getting one for collecting purposes? Do you think it is the type of specialty model that will appreciate?

You can find the preview on the homepage along with other great articles: www.MBWorld.org

You want to talk AMG forever? We'll oblige you with the threads: https://mbworld.org/forums/tags/amg.html

Thanks
$200k is INCREDIBLY cheap for this car. Who in their right mind would buy a CL63 instead?

You would have to either be mentally retarded or have some asinine petrification of standing out too much.

Seriously,
Tom
Old 10-30-2009, 01:42 PM

Daily - CL600
Originally Posted by rosswell
the overly exotic designs (McLaren, Lamborghini, Ferarri) that are only enjoyed by a few Saudi Arabians and those with questionably earned $$ in Miami.
Yeah I HATE Ferraris! *rolls eyes*

Later,
Tom
Old 12-08-2009, 11:12 AM

2006 E350
Nice looking car overall. Too bad they stole the headlights from a 350/370Z.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:56 AM

2006 E55 Designo 1991 190E 2.3 2000 BMW 740i 1987 PORSHCE 928S4
This looks very sporty and elegant. I’m surprise that MB held back on the engine selection. This caliber of a car should come with the twin turbo engine. That being said I still love the car. At this price range I will have to wait 10yrs just to afford a used one. This is definitely in my wish list of cars to own. I’ll be saving my $$$$ for a future buy.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:36 PM

German karts
I've loved the way it looks since the moment they unveiled the front end picture of this car. Definitely looks better than the SLR McLaren, although Mercedes stated this car is not the successor of the SLR.
To me, the SLR is sort of looks like the glorified SL, it has the same headlight design as the SL, the dashboard was almost similar. This though, is really fresh. It looks very modern despite the design cues from the classic gullwing
Old 01-14-2010, 04:19 PM

CLS63
Anyone know if there is a waitlist for these cars?
Old 02-04-2010, 08:14 PM

2011 G55
I am very interested in buying this car. Going to my MB dealer tomorrow to talk a possible order.