Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Need Details about startmark warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 s500 sport
Need Details about startmark warranty

Can someone knowledgeable about details of starmark warranty offer their advice?
I got a starmarked e430 last september and got extended component starmark warranty on top for additional 2 years.
1 month after purchase the sunroof started making this horrible noise and would not open all the way. It was a horrible grinding noise. I brought the car in they fixed it same day, said the motor had to be replaced because of the broken pulleys in the sunroof motor. THERE WAS NO CHARGE for the whole repair.
couple of months later the same problem happened. Exactly same noise and sunroof does not open. I scheduled for appointment and droped it off today to the same dealership and the service lady tells me that there might be charge for it since the warranty may not cover sunroof repair. I am waiting for they diagnostics. Can someone tell me if this can be true? Starmark should cover electrical components and last time for the same problem they did it no charge a penny.
There may be no charge after all but what is she talking about? Seems like a bunch of crap.
I was already pissed because I ordered a loaner and it was supposed to be there and when I asked for it she just kept on repeating "I don't have you down for a car in my computer"
Like I give a dodo. I felt totally dissed. Sorry for venting.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:36 AM

2003 E320
Lightbulb Starmark

Speak with your Service Manager, he is the Great Oz of the dealership. Avoid listening to speculation through the grapevine of the dealership, Leave it up to the big cheese.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
The Starmark sure as hell does cover the sunroof. The only exceptions are brakes, wiper blades, etc.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:53 AM

2003 s500 sport
Thanks guys,
Fortunatelly it was only a snapped cable I was told. I had a quick glance on the bill that they submit to warranty insurance and it totalled for around $350. So good that I was not charged but it made me really uncomfortable with the way I was handled. It made me feel as though some repairs are arbitrary. I read that all electrical stuff should be covered as well so to me it means that if the sunroof motor broke it should also be replaced no charge right?

Anyway will not be doing any service there anymore anyway.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
The thing I like about Starmarking is that nothing is arbitrary. It is just as good as the regular new-car coverage.

I even got a new battery once free of charge. That actually surprised me as I thought it would be a wear item.

Definitely seek another dealer for service.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
suspension?

Do you think it would cover my bushings on my lower control arm in my '95 C 280? It's under Starmark warranty for another two years.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
I'm not 100% sure about the bushings. I think those should be covered, but they could be argued as wear items by MB.

Perhaps MBtech can verify with his management?
Old 04-11-2003, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
bushings

I drove 300 miles to San Antonio yesterday, that is where I am currently, and the vibration was there the whole time, but nothing bad happened. I took it to the MB of SA and they said that it would be cool to drive it home. He didn't mention anything about it being covered by warranty though. I'll check when I get home.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:03 AM

2006 E500 4matic Wagon
6.3: Curious--what dealer? Where in NY?

I just had the lower front bushings replaced on my 1998 E320 4matic. Starmark plus 1 year. Friendly Motorcars, Wappingers Falls, NY.

My passenger side mirror has lost its ability to "dip" down when in reverse. That's next on the repair list. I'm told it will be covered.

Starmark did not cover my need to replace the windshield washer fluid reservoir. However, since the thing busted a week after I bought the car, the dealer made good and reimbursed me for the emergency repair I needed.

The loaner business is getting really bad. Millennium MB in Bridgewater NJ is 10 minutes from my house but they don't give you a loaner (of any kind, even a Yugo) if you didn't buy there. I drive 80 miles one way to my selling dealer!
Old 04-14-2003, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
BenzE: Why did you have the bushings replaced? Was there any clunking or noise in the suspension?
Old 04-14-2003, 06:24 PM

2006 E500 4matic Wagon
RB: funny you should ask...

I heard a slight noise, though it was more likely my seat rattling I just noticed that the car wasn't as tight as it should be, especially on curves/turns (most noticeable on NJ turnpike on/off ramps!)

I know that there is a bulletin out about updated bushings for the 1998; it is written up in the most recent issue of the MBCA star.

Car drives great now. Tight. Seat still rattles...
Old 04-16-2003, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
A bulletin? wow. I was about to go in to my independant shop about it. Does the bulletin mean the dealer will replace at no charge? Will they even acknowledge the bulletin?