Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

First Mercedes: C43 vs C32

Old 07-10-2012, 09:18 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
99 C43 AMG, 2001 CLK55 AMG
First Mercedes: C43 vs C32

Hey everyone,
i have been lurking on the boards for a few months now, i just got approved for a loan and have my choice narrowed down to a 1999 C43 or a 2004 C32, i love them both just cant really decide what to go with.

I researched on here to see the potential issues on both, seems like the C43 maybe has 1-2 fewer known issues, but not enough to sway me away from the C32.

Here are the pro's and cons i see to each imho (note both cars have right near 70k miles on them, C32 is just under $14k, C43 is just under $12k):

C43:
pros - rare, i dont think i have ever seen one in grand rapids and i just love the look of the older benz's. single owner vehicle. since there are fewer engine performance mods i would be more likely to save money after buying this car. couple grand less expensive.
cons - not as fast as C32, not as many mods to get it faster, less tech/standard features than newer(?)

C32:
pros - much faster than C43, more speed mods available to get even faster. more modern tech features.
cons- not as rare as the C43, see more cars like it around. Will likely spend more money on performance mods after buying.

would love to hear everyone's honest opinions to help weigh in on my decision, i really am stumped as which way to go and see it as a win/win.

FYI, this would not be a daily driver, although i would drive it a lot when the weather is nice, store it in the winter, and i do plan to get my AMG's worth out of it, going to autocross and track days every now and then, not hardcore racing but just to drive it like it was meant to be driven now and then.

thanks
Old 07-11-2012, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32, 911 SC
That C43 is way overpriced. C43 should be selling around 6-8K (8K being a prime example), unless it's a MY 2000 with the more reliable tiptronic tranny. If the price is that close, I would definitely go for the newer C32.

Both of these cars are rare and you don't get to see them everyday or even once a month. They both have a sleeper status attached to them, but even more so with C32 because of the abundance of C230 with sport package that looks exactly the same.

If you will be doing some track days, I would go for the C32 that has rack and pinion steering vs. recirculated ball on C43.

Known problems with C32: ic pump, coolant leaks, valeo radiator leaking coolant to tranny (not an issue with MY 2004 build after April if I am not mistaken) and seat control module draining battery.

Known problems with C43: weak tranny, plenty of forum members have had their's rebuilt.

If you plan to modify your car, C32 can be extremely loud with just Code 3 intake and resonator delete. I did a friendly run against a CLK55 with resonator delete and we both could not hear anything besides the sc whine from the 32. Some people might find that annoying.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:15 PM

thanks for the feedback.
the C43 is single owner so that was a plus, also hard to find many with low miles anymore, not like im defending it, i love them both for different reasons! but i do feel like the C32 is perhaps a better 'bargain'.

i have done the searches on the things to look for on the C32 (the same that you have mentioned), so i feel like going in to purchase i can get to the bottom of those issues. im really tempted by the power that can be had from the C32.

thx.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:10 PM

C32, 911 SC
Yes, don't get me wrong, I love w202 as I used to own a 97 C280 sport that was very reliable and has never given me a problem until the day I sold it at 189K miles.

Either way, you can't go wrong with both, but the C43 is indeed way overpriced. I would go for MY2000 C43 for that price as their transmission is more reliable.

C32s engine and tranny are very stout. The car is also very fast from a dead stop, which is a different characteristic than C43 that is slow off the line but fast on highway speed.

Test drive them both and see which one you like better.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by ddtham
Test drive them both and see which one you like better.
wish i could but the C43 is in texas so its about a $500-600 commitment for me to go down there and come back. the C32 is not as far away, but still a 6 hour drive or $300 plane ticket. so driving both of them is not really feasible.

there is a local C32 for sale with more miles and overpriced in my opinion, but i could at least see if i can get a test drive out of it, though i feel like the C43 is the one i would better be able to make a decision on after driving if i could only drive one.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:46 PM

C32, 911 SC
That's too bad. I don't know how loyal you are to the W202, but after driving both C43 and C32 back to back, I didn't see how I could go with C43. C43 has more solid feel to it, but C32's torque and power is jut way more addictive.

But that is just my personal opinion. Good luck either way!
Old 07-11-2012, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by ddtham
That's too bad. I don't know how loyal you are to the W202, but after driving both C43 and C32 back to back, I didn't see how I could go with C43. C43 has more solid feel to it, but C32's torque and power is jut way more addictive.

But that is just my personal opinion. Good luck either way!
i dont doubt that! it looks like i will be able to check out a local C32 tonight, but its really the LOOK of the C43 that i see when i close my eyes every night, haha. it has the look that i would be willing to sacrifice that oh so addicting speed/power for, at least i think so.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
You guys are right on, agree with everything said.

The only thing I will say is the power and the way it comes on is totally different. The 32 has much more low end tq, you feel it as soon as you get on it where as the 43 has to wind up more. I think if you did drive both, you would fall in love with the 32's motor and not be able to go back to the 43. I do love the old amg 202 look though also.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
If you go with the C43 just remember you can always drop the N/A 5.5 later on for more fun
Old 07-11-2012, 10:19 PM

yea after looking at the service records for the C43 im leaning that way. still some light negotiation to do with the owner, but im hoping it will work out.

thats crazy about dropping in the 5.5! i saw some posts about it on here, definitely wont be doing that soon, but it does sound like the kind of thing i might do once i 'got used' to it.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
I also looked around at the c32 before choosing my c43. I don't regret it either. I really prefer the purr or growl (depends on loud pedal) of the V8. Simple mods like secondary cats and central resonator delete are cheap and you have a car which sounds not much different than a c63. Also, the engine is bullet proof and if the oils (engine and transmission) are changed regularly using the correct MB spec oils, you should have no mechanical problems. Only drawback is that w202's did have tendency to rust (sills and wings), but if the car has been cherished and not lived too much in a salty climate, it should not be a problem at all. Texas I imagine would have been a nice and dry place for preserving a car.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
I also looked around at the c32 before choosing my c43. I don't regret it either. I really prefer the purr or growl (depends on loud pedal) of the V8. Simple mods like secondary cats and central resonator delete are cheap and you have a car which sounds not much different than a c63. Also, the engine is bullet proof and if the oils (engine and transmission) are changed regularly using the correct MB spec oils, you should have no mechanical problems. Only drawback is that w202's did have tendency to rust (sills and wings), but if the car has been cherished and not lived too much in a salty climate, it should not be a problem at all. Texas I imagine would have been a nice and dry place for preserving a car.
yea from what i have read i think i will do a couple exhaust mods like you mention for that great sound. maybe some headers and the pulley with a tune and i think it will be where i will be satisfied power wise.

with the C43 a big part of the appeal for me is the look of it, not necessarily being crazy fast. I saw a regular 99 or so C-class in the parking lot at the mall the other day (dont even see those much up here) and it reaffirmed to me how much i like the look of them.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:26 PM

1998 C43 AMG
New C43 owner myself, bought the car in Grand Rapids

Good to see another C43 owner in the area. I figure its your car on the WMMBC site? Anyways, alil Western MI props to ya.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by ejrchef
Good to see another C43 owner in the area. I figure its your car on the WMMBC site? Anyways, alil Western MI props to ya.
yea man, props to you for reviving this thread!

i had to check the site, but yea that is my C43 on there, another guy that has a benz put the video up on there, i ahve some other vids on here. I usually go to the 28th st metro cruise show they have at the dealership.

where in west MI are you located?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:58 AM

1998 C43 AMG
Missed this reply.

Grand haven, so fairly close. Spring time I imagine I should post up w mb club, but regardless I think we should consider getting these cars together when the weather breaks. I've followed your suspension thread and was looking to go euro spec, no lower. Would love to see in person if you're down come spring.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ejrchef
Grand haven, so fairly close. Spring time I imagine I should post up w mb club, but regardless I think we should consider getting these cars together when the weather breaks. I've followed your suspension thread and was looking to go euro spec, no lower. Would love to see in person if you're down come spring.
yea man for sure. Im usually at all of the autocross events within a few hours driving, usually they are in Lansing, GVSU, Muskegon, Kzoo, Grattan, 131 motorsports park and sometimes i make the trip to south bend. Other than the 28th st Cruise show at the dealership i usually dont do much with the MB club, just dont have the extra time. Besides events like that i really dont drive the car much.

I love the euro springs ride height. the car is really quite low, everyone on here has the Vogtlands so they think the Euro is not low enough, but when you see it in person its low, esp compared to the stock USA ride height. the guys at the shop that installed them for me were surprised how much of a drop it was and they weren't even settled yet.