Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Tesla Model S makes my CLS 63 feel like a stagecoach

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63
Tesla Model S makes my CLS 63 feel like a stagecoach

First I want to mention this is a very long post. My apologies but it is written for someone who knows nothing about Tesla.

I own a 2007 CLS 63 with 60,000 miles that I am currently trying to sell. I loved the car. It drove amazing, didn’t have any major maintenance issues and looked great. I was thinking of replacing it with a new CLS until I learned about the Tesla Model S. It is an all-electric battery powered car. It is not a hybrid. There is no gas tank. It is a 4-door luxury sedan created to compete with the German cars. Now that I have put about 2,000 miles on my new Tesla I am in awe of the car. It is the future. I am driving tomorrow. EVERY gas powered car now drives and feels ancient to me. Even my Ferrari 430 Spyder.

This is not a Tesla vs. Mercedes issue. The 2 companies are very cozy with each other. Daimler (most of you know is the parent for Mercedes Benz) is a minority shareholder of Tesla’s stock. Mercedes is coming to market with 2 new all-electric cars: an electric Smart and just announced today an electric B-class. They are buying the battery pack and electric motors from Tesla. That’s right. Tesla’s batteries are so advanced that Mercedes is not even trying to compete with them. And they aren’t alone. Toyota buys the battery and motor from Tesla for its all-electric Rav 4. Conversely, Tesla buys the steering wheel stalks and window and mirror switches from Mercedes. It was nice having these controls feel familiar while driving my Tesla.

So why am I so enamored by the Tesla? Well, first let me tell you about myself. I am not a tree-hugger. I do not have a Green agenda. I love performance and I love innovative technology. So what drew me to the Tesla was how it drives. It is faster than my AMG. The torque is instant. The second you touch the accelerator (not a gas pedal haha) you feel the acceleration immediately. There is no lag like there is in a gas powered car when you floor it. The acceleration is smooth, quiet and mysterious. It feels like a roller coaster taking off from a dead stop. And the torque is there at any speed. If I floor the Tesla at 60 MPH, it throws you into the back of the seat instantaneously. Everyone in the car giggles because it’s so much fun and such a new sensation.

Not only that but it handles amazing and feels stronger and smoother than any car I’ve driven. The secret is that Tesla’s battery pack is under the floor of the car – it forms the platform/frame of the car. It is a solid piece of medal so it doesn’t flex like a normal car which gives it better torsional rigidity. It also doesn’t crumple as easy so it is stiffer in an accident to protect the occupants. Because the battery is so heavy, it gives the car the lowest center of gravity of any sedan on the road thus lending to its handling abilities. The battery pack is so thick that it cuts down on road noise and soaks up many of the pot holes and defects in the road. It’s like a shield under the car. And lastly, because it’s flat, it helps the Tesla Model S become the most aerodynamic car on the road with a .24 coefficient drag. This is also achieved because there is no front grill needed to get air to cool down the engine like a gas powered car. So there is far less drag.

The Model S motor is in between the 2 rear wheels. That means under the hood is an extra front trunk. Plus the front of the car is free to be designed as a crumple zone for safety. There is no engine to get in the way or design around. And the motor is direct drive so there is no transmission which removes the tunnel that runs down the center of most car cabins. More space for passengers. No clutch to have to replace. Because there is no gas tank or muffler the rear trunk is bigger than most cars too.

All of this is what led many publications to name the Tesla Model S the car of the year. Motor Trend issues the most prestigious award in the auto industry. They have named a Car of the Year for 60 years. A dozen panelists and experts test drove all 39 entries in 2013 for many miles in varying conditions. Then they voted on the best car. In the history of the award, there has never been a unanimous vote for 1 car – until now. This year all 12 panelists agreed the Tesla is the best car on the road. Their summary: It drives as smooth and sturdy as a Rolls Royce, it’s faster than most sports cars, it carries as much cargo capacity as an SUV, and it’s more efficient than any car on the road, even a Prius. That sounds to me like it has the best of all worlds all wrapped up in 1 car.

And I haven’t even mentioned the dashboard yet. Remember what Apple did for the cell phone? They removed the buttons and made it a glass touch screen. Now every phone has copied Apple. Well Tesla has done the same for the dashboard console. They have removed most all of the buttons that you have for climate control, stereo, driver settings, etc. All of that is now on a 17” touchscreen that looks like a giant iPad. It’s customizable and extremely easy to use. When you see it you ask “Why has no one thought of this before? Every car will look like this in a few years”.

Plus the car has its own 3g and wifi connections. So you can surf the web on the touchscreen. Most importantly though, Tesla upgrades the car through mobile upgrades just like you get for your smartphone. That’s right, the car gets better and new features while sitting in your garage overnight. Just brilliant! They can also diagnose the car and sometimes fix a problem while the car is anywhere. You don’t need to go to the service center all of the time. It’s what you would expect from Silicon Valley style of thinking – which is where Tesla is headquartered.

Now to the obvious advantages of an electric car. I no longer visit a gas station. No more stinky fill-ups. No more foreign oil. (what will the middle east do when we all drive electrics?) And zero emissions is the icing on the cake. I don’t have a green agenda, but it does feel good to know I am not spewing any carbons into the air when I drive. Less smog is a good thing.

Also, no oil changes. The only fluid I need to worry about is windshield wiper fluid. Because there is a MAJOR reduction in moving parts of an electric car there are far fewer maintenance issues that can go wrong. So I spend less time in the shop.

$ savings!!!!!! First, my Tesla Model S Performance stickers out about $10k less than the similarly optioned CLS 63. Then I get $10k back from the Fed and California for purchasing an electric car. (finally a tax break that benefits me) I used to spend about $4,000/year on gas for my CLS 63 because we all know it requires 91 octane. I will now spend $1,000/year charging my car at home. That’s a net savings of $3k/year. And I expect to save on brakes and other maintenance issues.

Why will I save money on brake pads? Because the Tesla uses regenerative breaking. That means when I take my foot off the pedal, the motor slows the car down and is capturing the energy of the spinning wheels and turning that into electricity and then recharging the battery. Yep! I add to my battery when I am slowing down and I am not wearing away on my brake pads as often. I do need my breaks but I use them about half as often as I do in a normal car. It’s called one-pedal driving and it is a joy.

So how do I recharge? Unlike other plug-in cars, the Tesla has the charger built into the car so I can plug into any electrical outlet. Even a 110v. I paid an electrician $300 to install a 240v outlet in my garage. If I arrive home completely empty I get a full charge overnight – about 9 hours. Plus there are charging stations at most malls and city civic buildings in America now. Even my office building just installed 3 chargers and they are free for employees.

So what is my range? The car has an EPA rating of 265 miles on a full charge. Unheard of for an electric car! I go days without plugging in sometimes. Opposite of a normal car, it actually has less range on the open highway. Higher speeds and less regenerative breaking cut down the range to about 210 miles if you drive 75.

What about long-distance travel? Tesla has solved that too. There are Tesla Supercharger Stations on the highways in California and the East Coast. Within a year or so they will have these stations spread out across most of the USA and Europe. They are placed next to restaurants and you get almost a full charge in about an hour. So you plan your trip to have your lunch break while you charge. And these stations are FREE for Tesla owners. So I drove my car 425 miles from San Francisco to Southern California in 1 day in about the same time it would have taken me in my CLS 63. When the network is complete in 2014, I will be able to drive coast to coast for FREE! Amazing. And these Supercharger Stations use 100% solar power so there are no emissions to create the electricity.

And did I mention the car is built in America? The factory is in Freemont, CA. If you buy a Tesla, pick your car up at the factory and get a tour. It’s very impressive.

Another perk – in California I will get a carpool lane sticker so I can drive my Tesla while by myself in the HOV lanes! Also many airports and malls offer preferred parking with charging abilities. These perks won’t last forever but they are great for now.

OK, so what’s not to like. Well, the car is not perfect. In a rush to get the car to market they sacrificed a few items that you would find in a Mercedes. Oddly there is no coat hanger or grab handles for passengers. It’s lacking parking sensors (these actually annoyed me in my Mercedes) and there is no Adaptive Cruise Control. I miss the ventilated seats I used to have but the seats are heated. Also the FM reception is a little weak. And the cupholders are in an awkward location. I expect all of these issues to be solved by 2014 as they are constantly tweaking improvements for the car.

Some have expressed anxiety for buying a new car, from a start-up company. I had some concern about that as well. But then I realized Tesla has been around since 2003 and the Model S is their second car. They built a small number of Roadsters as their initial product. So I have to say, I have had ZERO issues with my car. There have already been 12 million miles driven by Model S customers and so far no reported safety issues have popped up. Some have reported quirks and maintenance issues that needed repair but the number of incidents are small. The car has a 5 year warranty.

Adding to my confidence in being an early adopter was the fact that this is Elon Musk’s 4th company. After selling his first tech start-up in the mid 90’s, he created PayPal and sold it to Ebay for $1 billion over a decade ago. Then he created Space X. Since NASA no longer builds space ships, they pay Space X to do that. Space X has launched two rocket ships into space and landed them at the space station. And these ships had no astronauts, they flew like drones. If he can do that, surely he can build a reliable car. His 5th company is Solar City and just went public last December. Elon Musk is 41 years old and is our generation’s Thomas Edison. Truly a genius who is changing the world.

Misconceptions of Tesla and electric cars:

- “The battery won’t last long and will be expensive to replace”.

Actually, the battery has an 8 year warranty. And if you want to keep your car beyond 8 years, you can pre-pay now for a new battery to be delivered in 8 years for about $10k. And I imagine that new battery in 8 years will be a lot better than the battery today.

- “Tesla got a handout from the government”

Tesla did not get a handout. They got a $450 million loan. Tesla just announced they are paying the loan off 5 years early! Under the same program, Ford got a $6 billion loan and has not produced an electric car. Nissan got a $1.4 billion loan from the US government and produced the Leaf - an electric car that can only go 80 miles on a charge. Fisker got a loan and they appear to be headed into bankruptcy.

- “The car is too expensive and is for the 1%ers”

The car is not cheap. After the tax rebates and credits it’s about a $55k to $100k car depending on options and which battery you choose. Consider the first computers were not affordable for most. Nor were the first cell phones. Tesla’s plan is to use the profits from this car and its upcoming Model X crossover to fund the development of a $35k sedan. This car will compete with a Mercedes C-class. They are pegging 2016 for a delivery date.

- “Electric cars aren’t cleaner for the environment because they are just transferring the emissions to the electrical plant”

Not entirely true. Electric cars are at least 50% cleaner than gas powered cars because electricity plants are more efficient. With nuclear, solar, natural gas, clean-burning coal, etc. the electricity transferred into my car is far cleaner than if I was driving a gas powered car.

If there are any Tesla haters out there I’m sure they will mention the New York Times article written by John Broder. Before you do you should also know that the New York Times admitted the story had factual mistakes and that the author did not use common sense as he was reviewing the Tesla. CNN, CNBC and many other journalists made the same trip as Broder and did so successfully and easily by using common sense.

When I got my last oil change in my CLS I felt bad for my mechanic. He’s an independent. Then I had to get my CLS smog checked (never have to do that again) and I felt bad for the guy who owned that shop. These are honest small business people who are in an industry that is doomed by the advancement of the electric car. These cars are so much better than gas cars that buyers will be scooping these up in years to come. I expect all of the auto manufacturers to either license Tesla’s technology or try to emulate it themselves because they have to sell what buyers want. And if you have driven a Tesla, you don’t want to go backwards. Gas powered cars are going the way of the buggy whip. Which rounds out my analogy to the stagecoach.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
excellent post, I agree and will be driving one in the future, very impressed
Old 04-19-2013, 04:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2003 S500 4Matic (SOLD) + 2004 S55 (SOLD) 2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet 2008 S 450
The preceding is a paid political announcement?
Old 04-30-2013, 10:49 PM

CLS63
I don't work for Tesla nor was I hired by them to publicize. I am an extremely happy customer who is helping to get the word out. After buying the car and enjoying it so much I am also now a proud Tesla shareholder. So go buy more Tesla's everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:38 AM

audi
Great information interesting one i will special tell my uncle who is the owner of car service bergen county nj as he will definitely like the things written above.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by no more gas
I don't work for Tesla nor was I hired by them to publicize. I am an extremely happy customer who is helping to get the word out. After buying the car and enjoying it so much I am also now a proud Tesla shareholder. So go buy more Tesla's everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
oh bull****.

take your chintzy duracell powered junk back to the tesla forum. Maybe they can tell you why none of the seals fit, the carpet is from a 1980s GM vehicle, and the assembly quality is terrible.

don't even get me started on the asinine touchscreen on that horrific looking dash.

what a POS
Old 05-24-2013, 12:32 PM

CLS63
@Quad - can't wait to hear your response when Tesla's market cap is bigger thean Daimler's.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 CLS63 AMG 030
Interesting... You did get my curiosity going. May have to test drive one.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:15 PM

CLS63
BTW, since my original post, Consumer Reports released their test of the car. They call it the best car they have ever tested. Scoring 99/100 on their scoring system.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:39 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
oh bull****.

take your chintzy duracell powered junk back to the tesla forum. Maybe they can tell you why none of the seals fit, the carpet is from a 1980s GM vehicle, and the assembly quality is terrible.

don't even get me started on the asinine touchscreen on that horrific looking dash.

what a POS
Quadcammer is a troll formerly known as Oliver S, the most loathed member here due to him making it a "job" to police others with antagonizing and enviously bitter posts.

I wouldn't take what he says seriously. And if he hasn't already, he'll be posting pics of his W220 S-Class, the epitome of "luxury and class", in this thread to prove whatever car or person he's typically bashing is of a lower class.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 AM

SOLD 04 E55 Now 93 w124 3.2 sold W210 E55 sold waiting on W211 E63 p030
Csaba Csere.....is that you?

Last edited by EdoubleNickel; 06-11-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:46 AM

'13 black C250 Coupe Sport+
Oh they've caught on like wildfire around Seattle. I see Model S's all over the place. They have a dealer right within walking distance of my apartment.

I'd be a potential future buyer if/when they roll out a proper GT coupe (Think Maserati Granturismo with batteries...) Not a 4-door sedan guy.