Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Audi Vs MBZ Vs BMW

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 01:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350S4
Originally posted by thegentleMAN
Thats exactly what Ive been trying to say! The S/RS models or the A4, which is the best selling model for Audi. The new A4 is a fun car to drive and comes with a robust engine that has a lot of potential for mods. You get the most for your money with the new A4 too. If you chip the A4 1.8t I heard it makes a HUGE difference. If I wanted to get a higher class car then I would look at MBZ or BMW, like I stated in the first page.
Since your original post requested opinions on both BMW and Audi, and since your opinions about Audi are pretty evident by now, what do you think about BMW?
Old 02-26-2004, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
Eh....Audis are dime a dozen though. A dime per two dozen.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 320 CDI 4M W204 / C43 AMG (W202) / C 220 CDI T (S203) / ZX-10R Ninja
Ok, guys I respect all of your opinions as I hope you do mine. Just watch out for the new Audi models from this point on... Epecially the S and RS models... The S4 is the M3 killer, and the RS6 is an M5 and AMG killer...
Sorry I disagree. Like I said in one of my first post. I had a S3 with lots of mods until I had 290 HP! Audi S4 where for me just playtoys at this time.
I had a race against an RS6 and I just have a C43....I dind't took him and he didn't took me we where equal

I respect your opinions. BTW the new c-klass will have the buttons from the Audi.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:39 AM

Originally posted by Teck
Sorry I disagree. Like I said in one of my first post. I had a S3 with lots of mods until I had 290 HP! Audi S4 where for me just playtoys at this time.
I had a race against an RS6 and I just have a C43....I dind't took him and he didn't took me we where equal

I respect your opinions. BTW the new c-klass will have the buttons from the Audi.
That's fine... Which buttons are you talking about? The A4 will change again in 06, which I already heard many good things about. The 04 A4 has a new Ultra Sport package, which basically is an aero dynamic body kit, suspension, and 18" wheels that look beautiful. The new all new A6 is coming out in 05, and the new A8 which looks beautiful as well came out last year 03.

I like BMW a lot too, the ultimate driving machine. like I said I like MBZ, BMW and Audi. I have an X5 which is part of the family, I test drove a Z8 for a whole weekend. The Z8 is awesome! I have favorites for each different class. I pretty much like all the models MBZ, BMW, and Audi offer.

I was going back and forth between the 3 series and the A4, I finally choose the A4 because it was the newest out of the two, and for other reasons like I stated before. I am so glad I picked the A4 and not the 3, I could of had either one. You get more for value to the dollar with the A4, BMW is a little over priced sometimes. I get so many compliments on my new car. I have MBZ, JAG, Lexus, Porsche owners acknowledging and admiring my car.

In my old C Class, I would always get compliments as well. I could have entered it into car shows, but thats not my thing. I do get more complements in the A4 for some reason. Most likely because its a newer body style, it is not as known as much, and it more unique on the road. You do see more 3s on the road, than Cs or A4s. I wanted a sporty euro sedan, which the two best would be the 3 or the A4 (IMO). C Class isn't really that sporty unless you get an AMG C Class, but Id rather get another Benz like an E, than a AMG C. I love the AMG C as well... I like the new 5 series, that might be a new addition into my family as well, for my mother. I like the M3 and M5.

Last edited by thegentleMAN; 02-26-2004 at 02:43 AM.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by Noble C320
Yeah its great for the money definitely. It seems to be more exclusive as well. Dont see them too much. Unlike the the 3 series, which i see 800 times a day. I probably seen the new S4 twice maybe.
Yes, that is true. Here are a few picsof the new Audis, Im not really into fixing up cars that much. Some of these would get you tempted...

Last edited by thegentleMAN; 02-26-2004 at 03:04 AM.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm talking about the buttons from the seat heating etc. they are as same as the buttons from Audi. The current A4,A6 are beeutiful cars but I realy don't like the new A6. I newer had a BMW. My father in law has a 1986 325 ix with 85k miles on it. He never had any problems and he'd never buy a MBZ. My father always had MB until 5 years ago he bought a A6 4x4 station and now he needs a new car and he want's the new A6 stadion. I'm working at a MB dealer and tried him to sell a MBZ but he say's the same thing like you.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You know what is the first thing I think of when I see those kitted Audi's? TRANSFORMERS! Not that it's a bad thing either!
Old 02-26-2004, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by vraa
You know what is the first thing I think of when I see those kitted Audi's? TRANSFORMERS! Not that it's a bad thing either!
LOL you're right the new A6 looks like that :p
Old 02-26-2004, 12:44 PM

2014 E350S4
Reading this thread makes me realize that this is the only car site I know where there are apologists of other car marques that try really hard to convince others of their cars' worthiness.

I wonder why that is.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Incendiary
Reading this thread makes me realize that this is the only car site I know where there are apologists of other car marques that try really hard to convince others of their cars' worthiness.

I wonder why that is.
I don't get it? It's only a few of us that really look down upon others. Hell, there's a reason why there is a Mercedes, a Bimmer, and a Lexus in the driveway and it sure isn't because I'm brand loyal/blind!
Old 02-26-2004, 05:32 PM

2014 E350S4
I don't get it? It's only a few of us that really look down upon others. Hell, there's a reason why there is a Mercedes, a Bimmer, and a Lexus in the driveway and it sure isn't because I'm brand loyal/blind!
I'm not sure what you don't get, whether it's the non-MB apologists on here or my comment about them. I'm not necessarily committed to only one maker, as I recognize that each marque has some cars that are really great and others that are for the badge-buyers. I just think it's interesting that Audi and Lexus folk seem to be so committed to converting the folk on this board...

Anyway, not a complaint, just an observation.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:37 PM

You are 16? Your profile says you were born in 88.

Originally posted by Incendiary
I'm not sure what you don't get, whether it's the non-MB apologists on here or my comment about them. I'm not necessarily committed to only one maker, as I recognize that each marque has some cars that are really great and others that are for the badge-buyers. I just think it's interesting that Audi and Lexus folk seem to be so committed to converting the folk on this board...

Anyway, not a complaint, just an observation.
Well, Im not trying to convert you people, I just wanted to see what your views were. I figured I'd get this response, people are underestimating, undervaluing, and underrating Audis marque in the industry as a high-end euro luxury sports cars.

Ill be honest, I never paid much attention to Audi, until late 02 and really 03 and beyond. They are very much competition to MBZ and BMW. Shoot, when I go to the racetrack at Willow Springs in Cali, the Audis are very much taken serious on our Porsche race tracks. One day Ill take my Audi on the track, the TT's perform fabulous as well. I bet those people who say that about Audi would also underrate Porsche. Audis can sometimes be considered baby Porsches.

Last edited by thegentleMAN; 02-26-2004 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:49 PM

2014 E350S4
Well, Im not trying to convert you people, I just wanted to see what your views were. I figured I'd get this response, people are underestimating, undervaluing, and underrating Audis marque in the industry as a high-end euro luxury sports cars.

Ill be honest, I never paid much attention to Audi, until late 02 and really 03 and beyond. They are very much competition to MBZ and BMW. Shoot, when I go to the racetrack at Willow Springs in Cali, the Audis are very much taken serious on the our Porsche race tracks. One day Ill take my Audi on the track, the TT's perform fabulous as well. I bet those people who say that about Audi would also underrate Porsche? Audis can be considered baby Porsches.
Point taken. I think you'll find that many German car buyers respect Audi. I'm not sure what most MB people think, but I know that the Bimmer board I frequent has a lot of people choosing Audi over MB. I think it's what you want, really. Audi is definitely trying to position themselves as a performance alternative to BMW, and consequently a lot of Bimmer folk regard Audi with a good deal of respect.

Personally, I'm suspicious of Audis because of what I've heard of their reliability, and because of the exterior styling. I have, however, heard a good deal about how nice the interiors are. Quattro I'm not a big fan of because I see no need for AWD in my life. RWD with good snow shoes suit me.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:51 PM
Almost a Member!

03 RS6 01 S8
Hello all,

Very interesting read. Let me start by saying I am a auto enthusiast and I like many makes, each have something unique and special to offer and I not here to convince anyone to buy a certian brand. Just to voice an opnion (which everyone has) in a friendly discussion.

As for the debate, I think each car offers someting a little different and it all depends on what you are looking for.

In my mind MBZ has always been a very stylish, comfortable, and fast(AMG) car manufacture. Untill recently there has been no question about the quality of MBZ but I have read on this forum and other sources that there have been complaints that Crysler "quality" or lack there of has tainted or found its way into some of the MBZ cars. I dont know if this is the case as I have never owned a MBZ it is just what I have read. Still, the peception to the general public on the street is that MBZ is bullet proof. The handeling of MBZ cars have been a little compromised in favor of comfort but this is someting that many people choose to fix with after market upgrades. All in all I really like MBZ AMG cars and the styling direction that MBZ has gone (much better than BMW IMO).

BMW is more of a "drivers" car favoring handeling over comfort in general. They really try and stick to the traditional motorsport car in their M line up. RWD, manual, normal aspirated, it has been a formula that has worked well for them. Also, their quality has been up there with the best of them but I have heard from a friend of mine who owns a BMW repair shop that the quality in the past few years has fallen on BMW, again this is just an opnion. As for the styling of BMW, I think they are making a mistake with the direction they have gone. I think they have moved too far too fast and they would have been better served doing a transition body between the current models.

Then there is Audi who, in the past had to play the value card and price thier cars lower then MBZ and BMW because the quality was not as good and they did not have the name like MBZ and BMW. I think Audi is finally changing that, slowly over time. The cars have gotten much better over the last 4 to 5 years. I have owned many Audi's and in the past you had to be REALLY careful which model and year you bought or you could end up with a money pit. Also, Audi is finally putting more money into their S/RS line up to compete with the likes of MBZ and BMW. I think that the investment is starting to pay off...they still have a ways to go but it is noticably better. The new B6 S4 V8 has had some challenges with the suppliers on the heads and transmissions which should get sorted out. Trannys and engines blowing after 800 mi doesnt really sell cars. As for the RS line my experience has been very good. The quality seems to be there and I have not heard of anyother RS owners with major problems. My biggest compaint about the RS models is that Audi (quattro gmbh) has been a little timid out the gate. The B5 RS4 should have been 400+ and the RS6 should have been 500+. I assume it is due to economic reasons..Audi does not want to be buying parts for a limited run car for warranty work.

Anyway, I think all three manufactures have something to offer, it just depends what you are looking for.

Last edited by Bauer; 02-26-2004 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:47 PM

Thank you very much for your post. I agree completely with it, especially how MBZ and BMW have been taking steps backward, and Audi is taking steps forward...

For the record I do not like the new A6's front grill, but everything else about it I do like.

Originally posted by Teck
I'm talking about the buttons from the seat heating etc. they are as same as the buttons from Audi.
Yes, I love the buttons! Thanks for everyones insight and opinions about this topic.

I also wanted to change some things that I posted in earlier pages:

MBZ Vs Audi or MBZ VS BMW
Audi Vs BMW
Throw in Lexus, Jag or whoever else you'd like into that equation. Interpret it however you'd like...

Higher Range Class
S-Class over the 7 series or A8, that's the MBZ...
I would also choose the new Audi A8 over the current 7 series BMW.

The new A8 was brilliantly designed, very high tech as well. They come with an adjustable air suspension. You can easily adjust the height of the car with a touch of a button! I think the S-Class does the same, but not sure about the 7.

Last edited by thegentleMAN; 02-26-2004 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:53 PM

2014 E350S4
Higher Range Class
S Class over the 7 series or A8, that's the MBZ...
I would also chose the new Audi A8 over the current 7 series BMW.

The new A8 was brilliantly, designed very high tech as well. They adjustable air suspension. You can adjust the height of the car! I think the S-Class does the same, but not sure about the 7.
I think most people would agree with that. S>A8>7. However, I've also heard the Phaeton is what the A8 should have been...
Old 02-26-2004, 09:06 PM

The Phaeton is very similar to the A8. The A8 is still better, they look very similar and option wise as well. The A8 is more luxurious.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:09 PM
Almost a Member!

03 RS6 01 S8
VW building a 70K + car ...I don't get it???? It has been hard enough for Audi to break into this market with a 7 year head start and a aluminum space frame. I have driven the new A8 and it is a fantastic car the interior IMO is second to none and the styling on the exterior gives the S55 AMG a run for its money. It is just a little too slow for my taste....waiting for S8/RS8.

The only people who will be driving the Phaeton is VW dealership owners...at least those are the only people I have seen driving them (dealer plates). VW is going to get their a$$ handed to them on this one...people in general buy 70K to 90K luxo barges for status ( at least here in the US). It is sad to say but it is the truth and VW doesn't get it. I think it is a very well built, good looking car and if it had a BMW or MBZ emblem on it they would blow out the door but it has a VW emblem.

Volkswagon = peoples car (in german) made for the "people"...that was the orignal misson of VW.

as a auto mag put it its right up there with a $1000 sears suit or a $20,000 gold timex.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:12 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
hey guys,

i would gladly drive a Phaeton or an A8L.
both are very competent automobiles.
the 7.....needs some lipsuction on its rear end.
the S is still king in this class but VW and Audi
are putting out some very nice autos.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:17 PM

2014 E350S4
Originally posted by Bauer
VW building a 70K + car ...I don't get it???? It has been hard enough for Audi to break into this market with a 7 year head start and a aluminum space frame. I have driven the new A8 and it is a fantastic car the interior IMO is second to none and the styling on the exterior gives the S55 AMG a run for its money. It is just a little too slow for my taste....waiting for S8/RS8.

The only people who will be driving the Phaeton is VW dealership owners...at least those are the only people I have seen driving them (dealer plates). VW is going to get their a$$ handed to them on this one...people in general buy 70K to 90K luxo barges for status ( at least here in the US). It is sad to say but it is the truth and VW doesn't get it. I think it is a very well built, good looking car and if it had a BMW or MBZ emblem on it they would blow out the door but it has a VW emblem.

Volkswagon = peoples car (in german) made for the "people"...that was the orignal misson of VW.

as a auto mag put it its right up there with a $1000 sears suit or a $20,000 gold timex.
VW, like Audi, is more highly regarded in Europe than in the US. It might do better across the pond, but for the most part I agree with you. They should stick to cars for everyday folk, as was their original mission. However, the VW chairman (or was it the president? CEO? I forget...) really wanted his own luxury car to drive around instead of having to drive the A8. So instead of letting it be VW:Audi :: Toyota:Lexus, he wants it to be VW:MB :: Audi:BMW...

I do think that if it's a good quality car and if the dealerships back it up with good service, then that should be what matters. However, it is true that status is a big deal at that level of car. Hence, the Phaeton (and even the A8) will struggle on, no matter how good the car is.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:18 PM

Yes, you got to love that tire pressure monitor. I wish I had that, I hate when the car pulls in a certain direction, and you hound the dealership about the wheel alignment.

I heard VW was the #1 manufacturer throughout the continent of Europe, even more popular than MBZ... Maybe thats what the Phaeton is for.

Did you guys now Audi owns Lamborghini?

Last edited by thegentleMAN; 02-26-2004 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:39 PM

2014 E350S4
Yes, you got to love that tire pressure monitor. I wish I had that, I hate when the car pulls in a certain direction, and you hound the dealership about the wheel alignment.

I heard VW was the #1 manufacturer throughout the continent of Europe, even more popular than MBZ... Maybe thats what the Phaeton is for.

Did you guys now Audi owns Lamborghini?
Yup. And VW owns Audi, in addition to Seat, Skoda, Bentley, and Bugatti.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:42 PM

Yes, so Bentley and Lamborghini etc. is made by VW.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:43 PM

2014 E350S4
Yes, so Bentley and Lamborghini etc. is made by VW.
I'm sorry, what's the point of this?
Old 02-26-2004, 09:45 PM

Nothing really... I just found that info out, I wasnt sure. I wanted to confirm it... I should have put a '?' at the end.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audi Vs MBZ Vs BMW