Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

What exactly TSB is?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
What exactly TSB is?

Hi All,
Would like to understand what exactly TSB is?
For an example I have ML350 BT. There is TSB LI18.30-P-055434 for oil cooler gasket issues.
Does this mean I can ask dealer to replace gasket because TSB exist?
Or its just a work instruction?
In my understanding, TSB indicates knowing issue, and must be corrected by manufacturer.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-11-2017, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 147 Likes on 131 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
TSB's are issues that a dealer needs to correct for you. Unlike a recall, no one tells you. If you don't go to the dealer for service, then you may never find out about them. So it is always good, as you have done, to search for them. You can take your car to any dealer right now and have them do the TSB work for you. HOWEVER, TSB's may only cover a certain group of VIN numbers. Even if you are not under warranty, the dealer still has to correct the issue at no change. Sometimes, they do not yet have the parts, so don't be surprised if they can't do the work right away. And check the dealer's loaner policy.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
Originally Posted by pjw1967
Even if you are not under warranty, the dealer still has to correct the issue at no change.
Just to clarify some: ML is on the list of models for this TSB, but at this moment I don't have Traces Of Oil In Area Of Oil Cooler at leas I'm not aware about, because I don't have any trace of oil dealer will reject to work on the car. Is this correct?
Old 01-11-2017, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DanD.
Just to clarify some: ML is on the list of models for this TSB, but at this moment I don't have Traces Of Oil In Area Of Oil Cooler at leas I'm not aware about, because I don't have any trace of oil dealer will reject to work on the car. Is this correct?
If your VIN falls in the range of cars to which the TSB applies, the dealer must fix at no charge, even if the problem is not manifesting itself on your car. Sometimes the TSB may say to inspect, and if the problem is not seen, then no work needs to be done. So the exact wording of the TSB will control the situation.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:14 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
10 speed bicycle
Originally Posted by pjw1967
Even if you are not under warranty, the dealer still has to correct the issue at no change.
This is 100% an incorrect statement. An LI (TSB) is what is known as a "programmed repair". Basically in order to save the technician time in diagnosis they are to cerify the customer complaint verify no DTC if applicable, and then they are to research LI's/SI's applicable for the complaint. If all pieces fit then they are to carry out the repair as per the document.

A recall campaign or a service campaign is a different story. These will be performed whether or not the car is in or out of warranty.

A TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) first off is not verbiage used in the Mercedes World. In the US market LI (Local Information) and SI (Service Information) is used.

LI follow the format: Complaint, Cause, Remedy.

SI is usually just general info regarding parts, warranty coding or general service info.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
thank you pjw1967,
I'm attaching TSB, unfortunately there are no words on how to deal with it.
it's related to famous oil cooler leak.
wish MB could tell when did they start using the new part, looks like purple one made from the different material and might last longer.
one again thank you.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
Originally Posted by MBtech1098
This is 100% an incorrect statement. An LI (TSB) is what is known as a "programmed repair". Basically in order to save the technician time in diagnosis they are to cerify the customer complaint verify no DTC if applicable, and then they are to research LI's/SI's applicable for the complaint. If all pieces fit then they are to carry out the repair as per the document.

A recall campaign or a service campaign is a different story. These will be performed whether or not the car is in or out of warranty.

A TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) first off is not verbiage used in the Mercedes World. In the US market LI (Local Information) and SI (Service Information) is used.

LI follow the format: Complaint, Cause, Remedy.

SI is usually just general info regarding parts, warranty coding or general service info.
Thank you MBtech1098,
I was thinking the same thing, if car is our of warranty, I have to pay for repair even know there is a TSB.

Thank you All.

P.S. Found in WiKi
Due to the inordinate number of pre-2010 OM642 engines needing repair due to heat-related seal degradation causing oil cooler leaks, Mercedes reformulated the seals from an orange color rubber to a purple color Viton seal now used in all 2010 and later engines. There is a Mercedes Technical Service Bulletin that states that the leak can be attributed to an improperly installed seal.[5] This engine also has an inherent design flaw with the TWC temperature sensor (part no. A005 153 40 28) and the part in the electronic parts catalog is now specifying part no. A007 153 74 28; there is no recall on this service item yet. A check engine light may present with the OBD-2 diagnostic code P2031 upon failure of this sensor.[6]
Old 01-11-2017, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm sorry if I misspoke about MB. I have had a few TSB's done out of warranty at no charge on other vehicles. Maybe because I use the dealer for all work they did the TSB's and sent the bill to the manufacturer.