Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

The Value of MB "Service A" and "Service B"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 12:08 PM

Received 143 Likes on 118 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
The Value of MB "Service A" and "Service B"

My car is going in this week for its first maintenance "Service A" since I acquired it last September. My service adviser provided me with a checklist of the items that they're supposed to look at, replace, adjust, etc. during Service A and Service B at various mileage points and I honestly can't believe they expect customers to pay hundreds of dollars to have them verify that the horn, headlights, turning signals, etc., are working.

When my adviser informed me that "Service A" costs $365, I told him that I monitor all of those little functions myself during daily driving and am only looking to them for the big items, like fluid changes. He replied that I only want an oil change, which costs $210, and that they "can't reset the service indicator for you if you don't purchase the full service". The price of an oil change alone is ridiculous (BMW only charged $89 for synthetic oil/filter change on a six cylinder), so I really can't see paying another $155 for them to check my brake lights, etc. I understand that "Service B" is significantly more expensive than "Service A".

I'm just wondering if anyone else with a late model vehicle that's still under warranty opts to pass on "Service A" and "Service B" and only has the dealer do things like major fluid changes. Also, can this legally affect my warranty? Thanks for insights.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:25 PM

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
2014 E350 Sedan
I would not pay for the full A and B services. Find a good Indy to do the fluid/filter changes.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, E350 Cabriolet
Service "A" and Service "B"

The folks at Daimler don't want you to know you can find how to reset anything on your Benz on Youtube. Try it,,,,,
Old 08-08-2018, 02:17 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550
yeah my very reputable indy charged me $300 on my cls550 for a b service... mercedes can go somewhere else with their ridiculous service prices...
Old 08-08-2018, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 139 Posts
2014 E350 W212
Originally Posted by Mr. Toad
...and that they "can't (won't) reset the service indicator for you if you don't purchase the full service".
that's complete bs... and -s h i t t y- trying to coerce customers into paying outrageous prices by refusing to reset the service indicator... time to find a new dealer... and if so inclined, spread the word about this coercion tactic being employed to gouge customers by this dealer...
Old 08-09-2018, 07:37 AM

2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
Thanks for the input, folks. Can anyone advise whether having only the oil changed (and other big fluid items, like brake fluid) on schedule and skipping all of that "check horn operation, check interior lights operation, etc." B.S. will affect the warranty?
Old 08-09-2018, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 S550 base
Mr. Toad, Please provide a copy of the check-list. My 2015 was purchased used w/o a warranty; so, I would not mind having the list to have things checked myself. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 139 Posts
2014 E350 W212
Originally Posted by Mr. Toad
Thanks for the input, folks. Can anyone advise whether having only the oil changed (and other big fluid items, like brake fluid) on schedule and skipping all of that "check horn operation, check interior lights operation, etc." B.S. will affect the warranty?
no - they can't void your warranty if you complete the services yourself - or you have someone else do it - unless you or that someone else are neglegent in how the service is completed, cause the damage or use defective parts...

part of the magnuson–moss warranty act -
Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by Commission
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; - 15 U.S.C. § 2302(c)
in more plane english...
No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance (other than an article of service provided without charge under the warranty or unless the warrantor has obtained a waiver pursuant to section 102(c) of the Act, 15 U.S.C. 2302(c)). For example, provisions such as, “This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized `ABC' dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine `ABC' parts,” and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty. - 16 CFR 700.10(c)
long post short (too late ;-) feel free to complete the assessments and checks yourself...
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Toad (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 07:36 AM

2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
Originally Posted by Doberman_Fan
Mr. Toad, Please provide a copy of the check-list. My 2015 was purchased used w/o a warranty; so, I would not mind having the list to have things checked myself. Thanks.
Here you go, but keep in mind this is specifically for a 2016 model 207.
Attached Files
Old 08-16-2018, 05:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C220 CDI W204.008 2007
Bought a Chinese $25 12V pump to suck the oil out through the dip stick, from Hong Kong an $8 cap to screw off the cap to the oil filter, voila, all done myself. I am not going to pay for: Check, check, check, etc.

Can buy after-market or Merc genuine filters. Fuel and air filter is accessible from the top. Have even done the partial oil change for the automatic gear box by sucking the oil out via the dip stick. The factory had put such torque on the drain plug, that no dealer had drained the oil, not at the recommended 60,000km, nor at 120,000km. It was black and stank! The fuel filter was still the original with "Made in Austria" 2007 stamped on it, I cut it open and it was full of junk. When I complained to the dealer, who had done the 120,000km service, he told me the client "refused" those services - rubbish. Those services are stated in the service booklet and the customer delivered the car for a service, so no-one is going to ask him if he really wants a service.

That dealer had not noticed a slow rise to 80 degrees, so I had to change the thermostat as it must rise to 90. That dealer had recommended a brake rotor change as the thickness measured by the dealer was 25.3mm, bulls..., min. is 25.4, but it measured 26.1mm! Lies, lies! Guess what I think of Merc dealers, at least in Perth, Western Australia?
Old 08-16-2018, 09:22 AM

2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
I certainly don't trust that the dealer actually does all of those little "checks" on the list; it's just a money-grab for clueless customers. I recently took my car in for Service A because I had a discount coupon for it (I would not have paid them full price for this "service"), and when I got the car back I quickly noticed that the tire pressures had not actually been checked/adjusted, the windshield washer reservoir had not been checked/topped off, etc.