Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Problems with my CL500, insurance and a claim..help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
Problems with my CL500, insurance and a claim..help?

I was in Chicago last week and hit a cement divider....took it to the Mercedes dealer by me, who is one of the very few Mercedes certified dealers to do autobody work on Benzes...the only in Illinois. It was for my CL500....the estimate was $7500. They explained that the CL500 is a different car with aluminum panels and thus the hourly rate is $75 compared to $40-something for other Benzes. Okay whatever.
Progressive takes a look at it...comes up with an estimate.....they said they will give no more than $40 an hour and that $75 was ludicrous. That is a $35 hour difference.
The Mercedes dealer also estimated the job would take 52 hrs. of labor...while Progressive estimated it at 30 hours. In other words...I received a check from Progressive today for the damage...it was for $3900. That means there is $3500 left that is unresolved...this includes my $500 deductible. Guess who is going to be responsible for that $3500? Me.
What should I do here?? Am I being ripped off by both here? Im very frustrated over this. Supposedly the dealer called Progressive the other day about this....about the labor discrepancy, and they came out today to look at it again...and I should know something tomorrow....but from talking to my claims person, its unlikely they are going to budge much. I really want this repaired by the dealer because you know how **** people are with high-end cars and who the previous owner has work on them....but I likely will be forced to have the CL taken to a Progressive approved bodyshop who I would bet a $1 has never worked on a CL before.
Maybe I am in a dream world...but dont I pay premiums for a reason....$300 per month almost at that. I thought you went to a body shop, got an estimate, and the insurance company paid it.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
The CL is a whole different animal when it comes to repair. MBUSA has certified select repair facilities as "C215 Certified Collision Repair Facilities". There are not a lot of them either.

Because of the composite construction used in the model 215, special repair methods have been developed for MBUSA certified collision repair facilities.

Due to its sensitivity, aluminum can only be cold straightened to a very limited extent. Die-cast aluminum or magnesium parts cannot be straightened or repaired. They must always be replaced at the original joints. This is a problem since the CL uses these materials and shops need to know how to repair them correctly.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 133 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Yes.....

You are being ripped off by your insurance company. You do not have to accept what they offer you. Keep at them until they give you the required amount. Do not cash a check from them until it is correct. Getting your car fixed properly, by the proper repair shop, is not "let's make a deal" with the insurance company. Too often people think that the insurance company has the last say.....they do not, the courts do, and let them know that!
Old 07-23-2004, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
The guy who runs the collision place at the Benz dealer called today and basically said what Adam said with the magnesium, and how he had to send his guys to Germany to have them trained. He said this started when an auto body shop tried to weld one of these parts, and it produces a clear flame, and it burnt the place to the ground. Progressive called back and said they would up their offer to $60/hour...which Im going to take, hopefully they can straighten out the hours discrepency. The Mercedes guy said the next closest C215 repair shop was in Indianapolis, and the next Dallas. Im not going to drag this on with the courts, I just want my car back, not a 3 month legal fight. It really doesnt matter what else I think...the shop will get their $75 rate, the insurance company will get their cash back in upping my rates, I just have to live with it.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
only amg
Problems With Isurance

You Have Just Found Out What I Have Now Known For Sometime, Progressive May Have The Best Rates And Insure Just About Anyone But That All Comes With A Catch, My Suggestion Switch To Chubb, Probably The Best Insurance I Have Ever Had And Now Insure Everything With Them, And Never Questioned A Claim Made, Or Directed Me To A Paticular Body Shop, Do Not Settle For Any Subprime Repair Costs, You Pay Insurance On That Cl For A Reason, And Only A Few Select People Can Work On Them, Your Insurance Company Must Take Responsibility. Fight Them, And Do Not Accept A Check From Them Make Them Pay The Body Shop, Any Check You Take From Them Is Considered A Settlement As Soon As You Deposit It.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:18 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 CLK 320
I don't think you are being ripped off by Progressive necessarily..they are just doing what their contract says....but.....Whoever sold you the policy should have explained it all to you. (Did you buy it on the internet??)) There are options at least from other carriers that will replace/repair based on your scenario. A knowlegable agent would have not steered you there with your full understanding.

*I think you do have a beef if you can convince the claims adjuster that the car had to be repaired at the benz facility for safety issues and not just cosmetic.

Other thing is you will have a heap of trouble with resale on that vehicle. If it's leased you may still have to dip into your pocket AGAIN.

Keep pushing, you have a legitimate gripe. If you push hard enough, you shoulod get all of the repair cost reimbursed less your ded. Get your agent involved, too (if you bought it on the internet then you don't have an agent..agents are good for many things, still)
Old 07-26-2004, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I know when I was trying to get my settlement from someone elses insurance company, I had to sign the paper stating I was accepting the amount they were giving me. Of couse, I had many mailed to me which I declined before we finally negotiated a fair amount. Didn't you have to sign something regarding the amount you were accepting?
Old 09-11-2004, 11:24 AM

06 M3
Not sure if there is a update to this post or not but the state of Illinois has a law that says you can take your car to the bodyshop of your choice. I'd contact the Attorney General's Office if you have problem with a insurance company.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
Do not agree to recieving any compensation until your insurance carrier and the repair facility have come to an agreement.

To a certain extent you don't have to talk to your insurance carrier. You have choosen this repair facility due to it's repair standard as specified by the manufacturer of your automobile. It is up to the repair facility and Progressive to work it out. You have your legitimate reasons why you need it repaired where it needs to be.

Depending on the experience level of the adjuster that looked at the car, it really makes this claim the mess it is. I'm fairly confident that an adjuster that deals with auto's of this caliber and is knowldgeable would have never come up with the $30-35/hour rate to repair a late model CL.

Insurance companies seek to pay what they owe at the least, just enough to get by local and federal standards.
Stick to your guns and have your repair facility and your insurance carrier settle the compensation dispute. You have collision coverage on your policy to restore you vehicle to pre-accident condition utilizing certified parts and techniques. It seems as if you insurance carrier is coming to an agreement with the facility. But never forget that body shops are out to make money, and lots of it...