Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Another 722.9 transmission issue. Jerky/clunky low miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W207
Another 722.9 transmission issue. Jerky/clunky low miles

Hello i didn’t see anything specific for transmissions so sorry if it’s in wrong place. Anyway I have a 2010 e550 coupe with 63k miles that hardly gets driven. Maybe 4K miles in the last 4 years. I recently put a new battery in a month or so ago not sure if related or not but it does not shift smoothly at all.

It’s mostly all at lower speeds/gears from what I can tell When I’m just “cruising” easy on the gas it seems to always feel like it’s doing weird things. I’d say 50-70% throttle when it goes to shift it wants to hiccup pretty badly between 1-2 and 2-3. It has had transmission fluid change done at like 40k ish and only has 63k now so that seems to be a bit premature for that to need to be done but I’m not sure what route to go besides buying a Mercedes scanner and checking for any codes? It’s quite frustrating because I’ve been wanting to sell the car but instead just let it sit and “rot” away in my garage and when I get serious about selling now I have tranny problems. I’ve read quite a bit but didn’t really see much of any fixes other then what a dealer did or the tranny reset hoax with the gas pedal pushed down.

Last edited by Smokedlights; 01-07-2020 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-07-2020, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by Smokedlights
Hello i didn’t see anything specific for transmissions so sorry if it’s in wrong place. Anyway I have a 2010 e550 coupe with 63k miles that hardly gets driven. Maybe 4K miles in the last 4 years. I recently put a new battery in a month or so ago not sure if related or not but it does not shift smoothly at all.

It’s mostly all at lower speeds/gears from what I can tell When I’m just “cruising” easy on the gas it seems to always feel like it’s doing weird things. I’d say 50-70% throttle when it goes to shift it wants to hiccup pretty badly between 1-2 and 2-3. It has had transmission fluid change done at like 40k ish and only has 63k now so that seems to be a bit premature for that to need to be done but I’m not sure what route to go besides buying a Mercedes scanner and checking for any codes? It’s quite frustrating because I’ve been wanting to sell the car but instead just let it sit and “rot” away in my garage and when I get serious about selling now I have tranny problems. I’ve read quite a bit but didn’t really see much of any fixes other then what a dealer did or the tranny reset hoax with the gas pedal pushed down.
Smokedlights,
A suggestion...
If you wish to find solutions (other than dropping $$$ at the stealership), there are many members here that can provide you assistance.
May we suggest you borrow or buy a decent scanner and post any codes you find. It'll save you time and $$ when posting on this and other forums.
Otherwise, it's a fruitless "wack-a-mole" game to diagnose your general issues - which can be a broad variety of problems.
Last thing you want to do is dump more $$ into replacing parts that may not solve your problems.
You can spent some time doing a search on the forum or google your symptoms: just add "site:mbworld.org" to your google search.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:35 PM

W207
Originally Posted by khomer2
Smokedlights,
A suggestion...
If you wish to find solutions (other than dropping $$$ at the stealership), there are many members here that can provide you assistance.
May we suggest you borrow or buy a decent scanner and post any codes you find. It'll save you time and $$ when posting on this and other forums.
Otherwise, it's a fruitless "wack-a-mole" game to diagnose your general issues - which can be a broad variety of problems.
Last thing you want to do is dump more $$ into replacing parts that may not solve your problems.
You can spent some time doing a search on the forum or google your symptoms: just add "site:mbworld.org" to your google search.

I have spent numerous hours researching, I also have a quality scanner I get no transmission codes, its all clear. I have found oil in my coolant which I thought for sure was engine oil from oil cooler but I am thinking now it must be transmission fluid, since my shifting is so erratic has to be highly unlikely its a coincidence. In my reading I've read alot about the older models having these issues but none of the newer? I would never dump money at a dealer this is why I am here..
Old 01-07-2020, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have spent numerous hours researching, I also have a quality scanner I get no transmission codes, its all clear. I have found oil in my coolant which I thought for sure was engine oil from oil cooler but I am thinking now it must be transmission fluid, since my shifting is so erratic has to be highly unlikely its a coincidence. In my reading I've read alot about the older models having these issues but none of the newer? I would never dump money at a dealer this is why I am here..
What vehicle w207 do you own? make model year. Please update your user CP info.

Your scanner (what do have?)
Can it read all modules? including your TCM.

Have you checked the tranny fluid levels?
Have you tried to reset the transmission?

Old 01-07-2020, 08:56 PM

W207
What vehicle w207 do you own? make model year. Please update your user CP info.

Your scanner (what do have?)
Can it read all modules? including your TCM.

Have you checked the tranny fluid levels?
Have you tried to reset the transmission?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyLP-CsGv8I

Foxwell nt520 ( believe it or not quite sophisticated) scanner that I paid $60 to put the mercedes program on today. It reads all modules including VTG which im assuming is same as TMC, TCU.. Transmission control.. 0 codes. No I havent checked tranny fluid level, no point to without planning on doing a service since you need to pull plug anyway. It sits in my garage so I know leaking is not happening. That transmission reset is a joke, and have read it doesnt work on alot of the newer models, but yes I tried anyway. Im leaning strongly towards the coolant mixing with tranny fluid. It basically explains everything just hard to believe I guess. If any solenoid in tranny was acting up or anything like that it should/would throw a code. Only reason it wouldnt throw a code would be the "quality" of the fluid, or of course the level but as I said I know it isnt leaking, other then into the coolant maybe.

My model and mileage is in the first post, second sentence.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Foxwell nt520 ( believe it or not quite sophisticated) scanner that I paid $60 to put the mercedes program on today. It reads all modules including VTG which im assuming is same as TMC, TCU.. Transmission control.. 0 codes. No I havent checked tranny fluid level, no point to without planning on doing a service since you need to pull plug anyway. It sits in my garage so I know leaking is not happening. That transmission reset is a joke, and have read it doesnt work on alot of the newer models, but yes I tried anyway. Im leaning strongly towards the coolant mixing with tranny fluid. It basically explains everything just hard to believe I guess. If any solenoid in tranny was acting up or anything like that it should/would throw a code. Only reason it wouldnt throw a code would be the "quality" of the fluid, or of course the level but as I said I know it isnt leaking, other then into the coolant maybe.

My model and mileage is in the first post, second sentence.
Suggest you own one of these
Standard tool for your MB DIYr.
If it's overfilled, this can also lead to problems.

722.9 transmission -approved ATF attached.
assuming it was done by a reputable shop knowing these requirements.

Oil in coolant - The transmission can be tested for glycol contamination.

Attached Files
Old 01-07-2020, 09:44 PM

W207
Suggest you own one of these
Standard tool for your MB DIYr.
If it's overfilled, this can also lead to problems.

722.9 transmission -approved ATF attached.
assuming it was done by a reputable shop knowing these requirements.

Oil in coolant - The transmission can be tested for glycol contamination.

was changed like 5-6 years ago.. 25k miles ago by MB dealer.. approved ATF attached? a dipstick? was unaware of anywhere to put a dipstick on 722.9? thought it was 722.6?
Old 01-07-2020, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

was changed like 5-6 years ago.. 25k miles ago by MB dealer.. approved ATF attached? a dipstick? was unaware of anywhere to put a dipstick on 722.9? thought it was 722.6?
You are correct. for 722.9, there is a standpipe around the drain hole (bottom of the pan) so that unless its overfilled, no fluid will come out.
We have all 722.6 trannys on our MBs.
If your stealership performed the ATF change, they would have used their own approved ATF. (attached pdf file on previous post)
I doubt they used the incorrect ATF.

I recall some GLKs having issues with hard shifting (including an older neighbor of ours a few years back) 722.9 tranny - valve body replaced. $$$ r&r work at a stealership. :|

Old 01-07-2020, 10:31 PM

W207
You are correct. for 722.9, there is a standpipe around the drain hole (bottom of the pan) so that unless its overfilled, no fluid will come out.
We have all 722.6 trannys on our MBs.
If your stealership performed the ATF change, they would have used their own approved ATF. (attached pdf file on previous post)
I doubt they used the incorrect ATF.

I recall some GLKs having issues with hard shifting (including an older neighbor of ours a few years back) 722.9 tranny - valve body replaced. $$$ r&r work at a stealership. :|

whos we all? I have 722.9 in my 2010 e550 lol Ive read alot on the conductor plate/valve body as well but that throws a code. I think the direction should be the oil in the coolant and a leaking internal transcooler/radiator mixing fluids. I ordered all the trans fluid tonight and new radiator to have on hand. I plan on doing a full change out including torque converter.. hoping I see SOME milky/coolant in the trans when i drop it. Not enough to cause any perm. damage hopefully just enough to flush out and have a well shifting car again. I have been researching this all to the absolute max driving myself nutty. I need to find (even though I can figure it out probably) a diy on changing out the radiator. I like to read and understand everything to a T before loosening bolts.. OCD I suppose lol

Last edited by Smokedlights; 01-07-2020 at 10:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dis.co_ (05-13-2024)
Old 01-07-2020, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

whos we all? ....
6 MBs.... 4 of 6 have the 722.6 - easy to maintain and work on.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:03 PM

W207
Well spent the entire day working on this thing.. Did the transmission fluid, drained torque converter, changed engine oil and filter, changed and flushed coolant numerous times (oil in coolant) removed oil cooler and replaced gasket.
I initially thought my transmission cooler was mixing with coolant and that I could have coolant in my tranny thus giving me issues shifting.. After draining that dropping the pan etc it does not look like any oil contamination. That is why I went on with replacing the oil cooler gasket instead of a new radiator (only place I know of that coolant mixes with oil aside from a major repair like a headgasket which is not my issue) I only have oil in coolant not the other way around. Put everything together still shifted like crap. Among my numerous coolant flushes trying to get all the oil out of the system, I disconnected battery for maybe 20 min I hooked up my scan tool, I had various codes from electronic modules aside from anything in transmission still, mostly voltage issues from the battery being disconnected - cleared them all anyway. Ironically when I put it back together again and test drove it Id say my transmission was 95% better. It was still a bit odd from 2-3 a "quick" kind of weird shift to me, not nothing jerky etc. Before it felt very jerky like it didnt know when/how to catch the proper gear. Will do more driving tomorrow and know for sure. My last mercedes I paid nearly $500 for a transmission fluid change on the 722.9 so at least I accomplished that, its not nearly as hard or as intimidating as it felt before.

Last edited by Smokedlights; 01-16-2020 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well spent the entire day working on this thing.. Did the transmission fluid, drained torque converter, changed engine oil and filter, changed and flushed coolant numerous times (oil in coolant) removed oil cooler and replaced gasket.
I initially thought my transmission cooler was mixing with coolant and that I could have coolant in my tranny thus giving me issues shifting.. After draining that dropping the pan etc it does not look like any oil contamination. That is why I went on with replacing the oil cooler gasket instead of a new radiator (only place I know of that coolant mixes with oil aside from a major repair like a headgasket which is not my issue) I only have oil in coolant not the other way around. Put everything together still shifted like crap. Among my numerous coolant flushes trying to get all the oil out of the system, I disconnected battery for maybe 20 min I hooked up my scan tool, I had various codes from electronic modules aside from anything in transmission still, mostly voltage issues from the battery being disconnected - cleared them all anyway. Ironically when I put it back together again and test drove it Id say my transmission was 95% better. It was still a bit odd from 2-3 a "quick" kind of weird shift to me, not nothing jerky etc. Before it felt very jerky like it didnt know when/how to catch the proper gear. Will do more driving tomorrow and know for sure. My last mercedes I paid nearly $500 for a transmission fluid change on the 722.9 so at least I accomplished that, its not nearly as hard or as intimidating as it felt before.
Glad to hear about the improvement. Perhaps, do another tranny reset?
The following users liked this post:
chassis (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 12:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,940 Likes on 3,103 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Keep us updated.

Is the transmission "reset" as shown the video a panacea, meaning it doesn't actually do anything? A similar procedure for Volkswagen is in the urban mythdom.

What does WIS say about the procedure in the video?

edit: a couple of searches through WIS turns up nothing on the reset procedure mentioned above.

Last edited by chassis; 01-18-2020 at 12:30 PM.