Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

MBUSA refuses battery reimbursement covered under wtty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC300
Angry MBUSA refuses battery reimbursement covered under wtty

Posting this on every site I can find…..

MBUSA refuses to address problem with batteries under wtty (battery shortage - no OEM batteries available nationwide), leaving their customers with vehicles that are inoperable unless they buy their own after-mkt battery. Dealers will not pull batts from their vehicles on the lot, nor will they provide a loaner. The owner is screwed unless they buy their own after-mkt batt. Good luck getting reimbursed. Took it to MBUSA Executive Offices and they denied the claim for reimbursement. Took it to the BBB, and they still denied the claim. I am not done fighting for what is right and should be an easy decision for MBUSA. This will be my first and last Mercedes Benz. I have never been treated like this as a customer by Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura. As soon as I can find a replacement vehicle for my wife, I will sell this piece of junk. Less than 3 yrs old and only 26k miles. I expected more from Mercedes Benz. Shouting it from the rooftops. Class Action lawsuit in work.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:45 PM

GLC300
Bump for help/support
Old 11-30-2020, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,817 Likes on 2,551 Posts
2019 C63CS
Generally a post from a brand new member just joining to shoot their canons in all directions and hoping for help doesn't garner many responses. Maybe try a different approach next time and post in the model specific forum for your car. You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. I can understand your frustration, but the rest is somewhat unreasonable. Warranty programs do not reimburse aftermarket parts. Not sure what you were expecting and not sure how your conversation with the dealers went, but of course they are not going to chop up brand new cars on their lots that they could sell just to get you a battery. I don't understand the rest. If there's a defect with the car, you take it in for service and get a loaner or in your case call MB roadside and have it towed to the dealer since it's not drivable. Then let the service department deal with it. If they have to order a part you leave your car there while they are waiting for the part to arrive and you keep driving the loaner. I've been in loaner cars for more than a month, because they had to wait for parts etc., and I've heard from others that have been in loaners far longer, because the root cause of an issue couldn't be found right away or parts were not available. It's the dealers job to fix your car under the warranty program. Really not sure how you ended up with them refusing a loaner, but somehow you must have approached this all wrong. I'm currently waiting on a part myself for my car, but because the car is drivable in the meantime I don't have to leave it at the dealership and tote around in a loaner in the meantime, but if it wasn't drivable then I would be in a loaner until they get the part and can fix the car. If your dealership sucks, try a different one.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-30-2020 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:57 PM

GLC300
Thanks for the reply. Perhaps you should read the initial post again. They were not offering a loaner.

Update:

The initial BBB Complaint resulted in a denial for battery purchase reimbursement by MBUSA. (I was directed to purchase an after-mkt battery by a “MB Authorized Dealer” in my area who stated that there was a nationwide shortage of batteries that were covered under wtty and that they hadn’t had any batteries for more than one month.) However, MBUSA did offer a service credit for $150 for one year (they charge more than that for a battery install - what a joke). The initial phone conversation mentioned that the credit was good for service and/or parts. I did not accept or deny the offer and simply asked that the requested offer be sent via email. Received the offer and have it in my possession. However, I received a follow-up call today from the same MBUSA Rep, to clarify that the offer was only good for service and parts purchased and installed at a Mercedes Benz Authorized Dealer…….interesting, since MBUSA doesn’t recognize the statements made by their “Authorized Dealers” directing customers to purchase after-mkt batteries then contact MBUSA for reimbursement. What’s worse, and even more embarrassing for MBUSA, is that they don’t allow ANYBODY else to touch their products BUT “Authorized Dealers”. In other words, MBUSA doesn’t stand behind words from their “Authorized Dealers” garages, but still forces you to have your vehicle serviced by those same “Authorized Dealers”. MB charges $600 for a battery replacement, but a BETTER after-mkt battery can be purchased for $200 and installed by any competent human being for $0 in 15 minutes. To charge someone $175 for labor to install a battery is an embarrassment to MBUSA and it needs to be exposed. I am done with MB. I knew I would regret this purchase and should have followed instinct.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:15 PM

GLC300
Bumping again to see if others have been treated the same way I have. If I can't find a collection of others suffering the same circumstances of no batteries available under wtty, I will pursue a Small Claims Court filing and post the results.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you tried different dealers in your area to see if there was any stock?
Old 12-17-2020, 08:27 AM

GLC300
Yes. My local dealership stated at the time that the only dealership in the Greater Houston area that had them was 1.5 hours from where I live. He stated that that dealership was not providing any of their supply to the other dealers in the area. And again, nothing from MBUSA to regulate how their dealerships operate? I expect more from a luxury auto manufacturer.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,928 Likes on 3,094 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Mercedes vehicles bear a resemblance to expensive garbage. Their dealer network bears a resemblance to garbage haulers.

What model vehicle are we talking about here? Mobile device users can’t see profile details.

Last edited by chassis; 12-17-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:34 AM

GLC300
2017 GLC300
Old 12-17-2020, 11:06 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,928 Likes on 3,094 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Batteries are viewed by car companies like brakes and air filters - consumable items.

A three year old “normal” car (not hybrid or electric) would likely not get a replacement battery under warranty from most car brands.

Mercedes ownership does not provide the consumer with better than Honda owner treatment, contrary to the desires of MB owners. Except for the coffee and granola bar in the showroom.

People post regularly on this site “I have had a great (product/dealer) experience.” The reality is that MB product and dealer performance is inconsistent and erratic. The very definition of low quality.