Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Disappointing ordering process

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLA45
Unhappy Disappointing ordering process

I wish MB had a better and more transparent process for ordering a custom vehicle. Earlier this year I placed a deposit on a E63 build and I haven't received a single update besides "it's in the system we'll keep you updated". I hate being an annoying customer constantly asking for updates but since my current lease is coming to an end next month, not having even an ETA on this vehicle is bringing unnecessary stress to the process. I've ordered a BMW and Tesla in the past and it was awesome being able to log in and get a status update - it's disappointing that a brand like MB doesn't have a similar feature.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,928 Likes on 3,094 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Sorry to hear. It's typical poor MB customer service. Try posting in the W213 AMG section and see what other owners' ordering experiences were.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X253 GLC 220d, Mazda MX-5 ND RF
Well... apparently it happens. Back when we were waiting for our GLC the dealer checked for us that it went into production at more or less the predicted date but after that - terra incognita. It was supposed to be out of the factory at a given day but no update in the system, no nothing. We had to threaten the dealer a bit that we'd cancel the order so the dealer at least tried to push the factory as much as he could but that was it. From what I read at the time, the Bremen factory which was (still is?) the single one producing GLC's was simply overloaded. And everyone got their orders delayed. Well, we had a dealer's car as a no-cost rental for more than a month while waiting for our delayed car so the service got at least a bit acceptable.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG
I ordered a custom build on June 16 and the car was in production on September 3 (I got my PO# that day)! My car was to arrive in late December early January but now production will start on March 18 and it’s 4-6 weeks so I hope to get it late April or early May. Only thing is now I want to change some things but I can’t as the car is locked meaning no changes. So it takes 3 months when the dealer places the order to getting a PO. Good luck with your new order.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X253 GLC 220d, Mazda MX-5 ND RF
Originally Posted by Hungary
I ordered a custom build on June 16 and the car was in production on September 3 (I got my PO# that day)! My car was to arrive in late December early January but now production will start on March 18 and it’s 4-6 weeks so I hope to get it late April or early May. Only thing is now I want to change some things but I can’t as the car is locked meaning no changes. So it takes 3 months when the dealer places the order to getting a PO. Good luck with your new order.
As I wrote before, the production time sometimes slips "a bit" and that's just how it works.

But about the general ordering process it works like that - you order a car, it's getting placed in a production queue. Up to a certain point in time (I suppose before the factory allocates resources and/or orders appropriate parts for your build) you can - to some extent - change your build. After that - no change, the configuration is fixed and the production process starts (doesn't mean that the actual production starts at this moment).

There is one additional thing to have in mind - I'm not sure how it works in different markets but in Europe often importers and dealers preorder certain configurations for themselves (either as demo cars or just to have some stock for immediate sale). Since the queue is quite long, the cars are in the queue for some time before they get "fixed". During that time, if the dealer is willing and you happen to want the model that had been placed in the queue, you might be able to use that spot. But this - as far as I know - needs the same model and engine version. So if you want to order, for example, an E350d and your dealer has already placed E350d in the queue you might be able to use that spot in the queue to get your own car quicker. There might be some restrictions to possible options though but they shouldn't be too big.

Same goes for any possible changes to car configuration if you changed your mind after initial order. Up to a certain point - you might be able to do some adjustments (probably depends on the willingness of your dealer to get involved on some formal hassle over annexing the agreement and so on) but after the process reaches a certain point and the queue entry "goes into production" there's nothing you can do anymore about your configuration.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:06 PM

Received 214 Likes on 140 Posts
E63s SL550 GL450
Originally Posted by overatwhen
I wish MB had a better and more transparent process for ordering a custom vehicle. Earlier this year I placed a deposit on a E63 build and I haven't received a single update besides "it's in the system we'll keep you updated". I hate being an annoying customer constantly asking for updates but since my current lease is coming to an end next month, not having even an ETA on this vehicle is bringing unnecessary stress to the process. I've ordered a BMW and Tesla in the past and it was awesome being able to log in and get a status update - it's disappointing that a brand like MB doesn't have a similar feature.
I ordered an E63s back in November. I was just at the dealer again today to ask what the status is. Once again, I get the canned response that the car is in production. No paperwork provided and it has been bumped out for an ETA on completion every month since January. Today I was told maybe April. Sent a message to MB customer service and they just refer me back to the dealer. I've told them twice that the dealer doesn't give anything and I'm beginning to believe they're yanking me around and am skeptical that an order is in place. Very frustrating and no one really seems confident in what they tell me. If I could find what I want on a lot I would buy it, but it doesn't exist. I know two other people that have the same problems and have canceled their orders. Good luck to you, I hope your car comes soon.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:36 AM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Cool

COVID has played hell with supply chains. Back in Nov., I read a complaint in MBWorld from a guy who had ordered a car from Germany in Jan. 2020 Now, there is a world-wide shortage of automotive computer chips. I'm in the process of ordering an E-class from Germany. I'm getting estimates of 6-8 months for delivery. After turning my W203 C300 back in in Sindelfingen in late 2007, it took eight weeks to get across the Atlantic and to my deale. At least in my area, the dealers try hard. It's MBUSA that puts the "Nothing" in "The Best or Nothing."
Old 03-15-2021, 10:55 AM

E63s SL550 GL450
Originally Posted by gfmohn
COVID has played hell with supply chains. Back in Nov., I read a complaint in MBWorld from a guy who had ordered a car from Germany in Jan. 2020 Now, there is a world-wide shortage of automotive computer chips. I'm in the process of ordering an E-class from Germany. I'm getting estimates of 6-8 months for delivery. After turning my W203 C300 back in in Sindelfingen in late 2007, it took eight weeks to get across the Atlantic and to my deale. At least in my area, the dealers try hard. It's MBUSA that puts the "Nothing" in "The Best or Nothing."
The order estimate given me by the dealer was clearly waaay off. Possible they don't do enough special orders to have known, but with one car in their showroom you'd that would be a clue. To say the process is frustrating is the understatement of the century. I'm sure there are reasons for the delays. I just can't understand why it isn't a bit more transparent and customer service oriented. I haven't even been able to determine if a PO has been assigned to my allocation. Sitting here now waiting on a response to see if I can meet with the sales manager to get some form of visual confirmation that the order is really in Q. We have an SL550 and a GL450 that this dealer does service work on and have been a customer for over three years. We feel like a red headed step child, no offense intended to anyone here, that has been sit in the corner for a time out. Noone could have convinced the process could be so bad before experiencing it first hand. An internet search after feeling something was off is what landed me here. I'm even more disappointed to see I'm not the only one.
Old 03-15-2021, 05:05 PM

E63s SL550 GL450
I was surprised to get a call from the dealer today telling me my car is built and awaiting shipping. Excited to hear it's done. Just seems like they could have offered a little more insight on progress to ease my mind over the last month. I'm sure the shipping will be equally slow and aggravating. Appreciate the input from others on their experience. Hoping to be driving it soon.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:22 AM

E63s SL550 GL450
One month and a day since my last post. Car made it to Brunswick at 3AM on 4/12. No update since and apparently has not been assigned to a transport yet. Such an aggravating and drawn out adventure. Rant over.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:32 PM

Cool My new E450 from Germany

On 3/22/21 i ordered an E450 from Germany. Last week, the dealer called me that they got one of the last MY 2021 production allocations, for early 6/21. I figure at least 4 1/2 months from then: 2 weeks production, 2 months on the pier in Bremerhaven (?) waiting to fill up a ship-load, and 2 months from Baltimore (?) to the dealer.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:07 PM

E63s SL550 GL450
On 3/22/21 i ordered an E450 from Germany. Last week, the dealer called me that they got one of the last MY 2021 production allocations, for early 6/21. I figure at least 4 1/2 months from then: 2 weeks production, 2 months on the pier in Bremerhaven (?) waiting to fill up a ship-load, and 2 months from Baltimore (?) to the dealer.
It's a good idea to prepare yourself for a lengthy wait and hope for the best. My order was place in early November 2020, build completed on 3/11/21. Hoping to have it within 2-3 weeks. Hopefully yours will be sooner than later.
The following users liked this post:
gfmohn (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 03:02 PM

The "2 months on the pier" came from another commenter who described his experience.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:07 PM

E63s SL550 GL450
The "2 months on the pier" came from another commenter who described his experience.
It certainly doesn't surprise at this point. Several others that had build dates close to mine got on a ship in three weeks from arrival at Bremerhaven. Best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:37 PM

E63s SL550 GL450
I picked my car up today. It has been the longest five and a half months I can recall. Glad it's over and looking forward to exploring the capabilities and enjoying the ride. Good luck to those of you still waiting. I hope yours arrives soon. I've appreciated the comments and help from those more educated on the ordering process. I've learned way more here than I could have from my dealer.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,817 Likes on 2,551 Posts
2019 C63CS
I can understand that the process seems frustrating and yes BMW and Tesla have websites where customers can check the status directly instead of having to call their sales person, however, if there's no update on the order from the factory then that isn't gonna help, either. The dealership has no more information usually then there is in Netstar and they can give you the status as it currently is. Production schedules are all over the place currently due to the continued global chip shortage. Daimler just cut hours for 18,500 workers due to the chip shortage. The long and the short of it is that they don't even know when your car gets built, because they can't get the required parts.

All you have to ask from your sales person is a build sheet from Netstar. It will have the PO# on it along with all your build options, so you can verify that the order is correct in the system. Beyond that, the sales person can send you a screenshot of the current status from Netstar. That's all there really is. They can call the distributor to maybe find out what the reason for the delay is, but pretty sure the answer will be the current shortage.