Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Shop abusing brand new cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 10:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
EQS AMG, SL63
Angry Shop abusing brand new cars

Brought my brand new SL63 to a shop in Miami for a full body PPF, and I'm concerned that it's being abused while it's still in it's break-in period. If they've been redlining it, how bad is it for the motor, and what recourse do I have if in fact they've been abusing the hell out of it?

I set up speed alerts in the Merecedes ME app, it's set to go off at 60MPH. There's no reason for the car to hit that speed in the span of 1 block.

At the intersection of where the shop is located, it appears that someone was doing donuts.

I've got the integrated dash cam set up so unless they've unplugged it, it's been recording the whole time.
Old 05-06-2023, 02:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,449 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Have you addressed this with the owner?

yeah, it's not good for the engine but 99.9% no biggie, these engines are revved aggressively as part of testing etc before making it into a vehicle during production.

donuts on the other hand - look for tire bits in the wheel well and any chips from kicking up road debris - then again these peeps prolly did this before applying the ppf that'll cover all that evidence

these peeps don't realize the cars are Uber monitored electronically now by OEM apps

Last edited by PeterUbers; 05-06-2023 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2023, 03:46 PM

Received 215 Likes on 140 Posts
E63s SL550 GL450
If it is at a shop for PPF I would question why anyone would feel they could take it out onto the street at all, without you being informed. I assume the work is being done in house. It may be a good idea to drop in and check the camera and speak to the owner.
Old 05-07-2023, 04:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 713 Likes on 530 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Yeah reminds me of the car parking attendants taking the Ferrari out for a joy ride in Ferris Bueller's Day Off

If you have evidence I Would have called them or visited already that day and taken my car back.
Old 05-08-2023, 11:49 AM

EQS AMG, SL63
i wish i could view the dash cam footage from the app. i'll view the footage when I pick the car up. they have 2 shops. one of them is a block or so away. the guy said that they move the cars around as they get full. they also do the tinting at one shop and ppf at the other
Old 05-08-2023, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,489 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
It's Miami, what did you expect?
Old 05-08-2023, 12:52 PM

EQS AMG, SL63
i live here for now, where else could i take it?
Old 05-08-2023, 01:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by mikeqs
i wish i could view the dash cam footage from the app. i'll view the footage when I pick the car up. they have 2 shops. one of them is a block or so away. the guy said that they move the cars around as they get full. they also do the tinting at one shop and ppf at the other
Update this thread either way - good or bad when you review the footage
Old 05-08-2023, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,883 Likes on 2,598 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
yeah, it's not good for the engine but 99.9% no biggie, these engines are revved aggressively as part of testing etc before making it into a vehicle during production.
They are actually not. Surprisingly they are never even started until the car has been completely built and it is driven out of the factory for the first time. Each engine is hooked up to a cold test rig, where an external electric motor is spinning it up to about 3000 rpm and various cold tests are being performed to make sure all the sensors etc. are working and everything is wired correctly and the engine turns properly, but it's never actually fired up. I was there at the factory during my ED trip and both me and my colleague were surprised, but they said warm testing is not required. Once in a while they pull an engine out at random and put it through a more rigorous test. They are actually very particular about the break-in procedure. I asked them why they didn't break in the engines on a dyno, so customers could essentially enjoy the car from day 1, but they said they didn't wanna take away the experience of breaking in the engine from the customer. Occasionally it's fine to rev past the recommended rpm during the break in period. For example, they made a point to me that during an emergency I should obviously disregard any break-in instructions and if I need to redline it so be it. Ideally, though, the engine should be warm. I'd be more concerned if this shop is hooning it around with the engine still being cold.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-08-2023 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-09-2023, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Talk to the owner immediately. I can't imagine there should be any reason that the car should be going above 60mph in their hands, especially if you are in the city. Moving between lots is one thing, but the speed alert would give me concern. Like others said, check tires, and see if you can get dash cam footage.
Old 05-09-2023, 12:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by superswiss
They are actually not. Surprisingly they are never even started until the car has been completely built and it is driven out of the factory for the first time. Each engine is hooked up to a cold test rig, where an external electric motor is spinning it up to about 3000 rpm and various cold tests are being performed to make sure all the sensors etc. are working and everything is wired correctly and the engine turns properly, but it's never actually fired up. I was there at the factory during my ED trip and both me and my colleague were surprised, but they said warm testing is not required. Once in a while they pull an engine out at random and put it through a more rigorous test. They are actually very particular about the break-in procedure. I asked them why they didn't break in the engines on a dyno, so customers could essentially enjoy the car from day 1, but they said they didn't wanna take away the experience of breaking in the engine from the customer. Occasionally it's fine to rev past the recommended rpm during the break in period. For example, they made a point to me that during an emergency I should obviously disregard any break-in instructions and if I need to redline it so be it. Ideally, though, the engine should be warm. I'd be more concerned if this shop is hooning it around with the engine still being cold.
interesting. So it's revolving by external means but not aggressively based on your conversation with the engineer

Separate point, i still have not seen any evidence that an episode like this leads to any major problems

Last edited by PeterUbers; 05-09-2023 at 12:47 PM.