Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

How accurate are dealership invoices

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2024, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK55 R172
How accurate are dealership invoices

My last 2 Mercedes service invoice from a M-B dealership indicated the torque specs for tightening the oil drain plug (30nm), oil filter (25nm), and oil cooler line (9nm). To be honest I was impressed and happy to see the correct torque specs noted on the invoice, as this eased my anxiety of shops overtightening things, especially the drain plug.

Is this normal for M-B service centers to do that? Do they actually use torque wrenches set to the correct number, or are the torque numbers on invoice just standard info that gets printed based on your model and they really didn't torque anything?

another question is how do shops measure bulk oil so that the correct amount goes in your car? My R172 SLK55 uses 10qts or 9.5 liters, and the invoice states that I was charged for 10 qts. The note section stated that 9.5 liters were added with oil cooler drain. I take it that oil comes from one of the overhead hoses dangling from the ceiling. Do they have settings for amount needed and once the specified quart is reached it turns off?
Old 06-18-2024, 11:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
you need to go back to the dealership and talk to management----my girlfriend thinks thats cool advice and her girlfriend wants to know if you got a telephone number of the tech that worked on your car as she loves torque
Old 06-18-2024, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 269 Posts
W204 2010 C300 4matic Sport M272
Never had an MB dealer work on my Mercedes so not sure, but im assuming they use a torque wrench for every bolt. Having the torque specs listed on the invoice is great, I recently had new tires installed and on the invoice it said N/A next to wheel torque and even tire pressure. All the tires were over filled by 15psi and the wheel bolts were on too tight according to my cheap Harbor Freight torque wrench.

Im assuming they have a meter on the oil fill pump if they are using bulk barrels of oil. I thought the over hanging hoses are for air?

I did snap a photo last time i was at the parts dept to get something, they looked like they were replacing a rear subframe so thought it was interesting to see. Then I noticed the brake calipers just dangling down.

Maybe they use something like this?

Old 06-18-2024, 01:53 PM

Received 151 Likes on 120 Posts
SL63
Most mechanics only know 2 torque specifications.
1 when tightening, and 1 when loosening.
The tightening torque is known as German torque “gutentite” American translation Good and tight.
The loosening torque is when a mechanic can’t loosen a fitting, this is known as gorilla torque. Torque so tight, no human can loosen it.