Max ground clearance:10.9"
Turning circle:39.7"
Towing Capacity:7,500 lbs

http://www.mbusa.com/models/future/glclass/specs.do
Old 01-23-2006, 01:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
How does the 2nd row knee room compare to the current ML?
Old 01-23-2006, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mommy drives a '93 Opel Astra
the gl is HUGE I wonder how fast it can go...
Old 01-23-2006, 04:18 PM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by jangy
I think that is one of the questions taht we're all asking --

A few have sat in it and said that the room was fantastic, and better than the ML.... I have photos of the same (6'4") guy sitting in all three - and only the R looks 'spacious'. And if I try to compare photos - don't know where in their range the front seats were positioned.... And when I try to compare the numbers in the specs...somehow...there is no direct comparison....

Oh Great Mystery! to me, still, at this point.

But we will find out!
Old 01-23-2006, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
There's only the 450 at launch, no 550 yet?
Old 01-24-2006, 08:48 AM

Mommy drives a '93 Opel Astra
In europe there will be a 450, a 500 (550 in the US), a 420 CDI and a 320 CDI. It will be released in October in EU. I think the US is getting the other engines at the same time with the EU release.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:42 AM

1997 E320 Sedan
Originally Posted by jangy
I own a ML350. I saw the new GL but was unable to sit in it. I compared the two side-by-side in Detroit (I think I wore a path on the floor walking back and forth) and I believe that the 1st and 2nd rows of the ML and GL are very, very similar in size and distance. The seats are different in the GL because of how the fold but distance seems to be nearly identical when compared to the backs of the front row.

Comparing the distance of the 2nd and 3rd row seats was a little harder but it seems on par with the Sequoia (which I used to own) and the Expedition. The GL is a little smaller than the R but more roomy than the new Tahoe/Escalade/Yukon SUV's. One thing I really like about the GL 3rd row is the fact it was high up and not floor mounted which allows for more room for the legs.

I am definately keeping the GL on my short list when I got to replace our current family hauler, a Toyota Sienna, this Summer or Fall. In other words, the 3rd row hasn't turned me completely off but until I sit in one I can't make an informed decision just yet.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:02 PM

MBs
GL article from Birmingham News

GL's target market: Families, celebrities

Sunday, January 15, 2006
MICHAEL TOMBERLIN
News staff writer

DETROIT - The full-size GL-Class was designed to be the big daddy of the Vance family - and it arrives at a time when some have to wonder if a full-size sport utility makes sense when pump prices hover over two bucks a gallon.

Mercedes-Benz isn't concerned about the timing, convinced its biggest SUV will carry a sticker price lower than expected and certain it will appeal to families despite higher gas costs.

"Just because gas prices are $2.50 a gallon doesn't mean you don't have three kids still," says Ron Mueller, sales manager for Mercedes vehicles in the United States. "You've got Jimmy, Johnny and Suzie, you can't just say, `Johnny, you've got to go stay with Aunt Mae now because I can't afford to carry you around anymore.' You still need passenger capacity, you still need cargo capacity."

Mueller said that with the GL, Mercedes has given dealers and the customer a third distinct choice, along with the R-Class and the M-Class, also made only in Alabama. Test models of the GL are now being produced, with the SUV expected to arrive in dealer showrooms in the spring.

"The primary market is families, families, families," Mueller said. "It's our first heartland vehicle I feel very confident in. It's the first vehicle that dealers in the truck market know exactly who the market is."

Celebrities

Apart from families, there is another market. The popularity of Mercedes' Gelaendewagen as well as the Cadillac Escalade with the upscale urban market - particularly sports stars and hip-hop artists and rappers - makes that another area to direct sales.

"Being Mercedes-Benz, we've got interest in the urban market as well," Mueller said. "We expect to see some of that. That customer likes M-B as a whole and they also like how they can customize it. We will cater to that."

Final pricing for the GL-Class hasn't been set, but Mueller said the company is shooting for the mid-$50,000 range, far lower than some had expected.

"Everyone was expecting us to go after Range Rover with our pricing, so they were expecting $72,000," Mueller said. "But we said, no, we're going after the mainstream segment."

He said Mercedes is looking to sell from 15,000 to 20,000 of the GLs this year and turn that into a 20,000 to 25,000 average over the vehicle's life cycle.

Hitting those numbers will include bringing the automotive press to Alabama for a test drive and closer look in the coming days. Later, Mercedes will invite automotive journalists to California's Napa Valley to experience some quality time with the vehicle. An Internet marketing campaign has kicked off with more traditional advertising slated to start in April.

The initial advertising will focus on Mercedes-Benz engineering. A separate campaign later this year will focus on the family of vehicles made in Vance.

E-mail: mtomberlin@bhamnews.com
Old 01-24-2006, 11:19 PM
ON PROBATION

Thanks, Wolfgang -