Airmatic questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 02:44 PM

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Rolls Royce Wraith, 1999 CLK Cabriolet, 2023 Genesis G90
Airmatic questions

Hello, everyone:

Coming from a vehicle with ABC hydraulic suspension, the airmatic system is new to me. I've noticed that at times when stopped at a light, the vicle adjusts its height quite noticeably. This has happened on surface roads, where the speed hasn't exceeded 45 mph, so I doubt it had lowered itself for speed prior to the stop. Moreover, I hear it "passing gas" at different times, both rolling at slow spped and completely stopped, with and without the engine running. I'm wondering if all this is normal. The ride quality is excellent and it will still go up and down on command Any thoughts?
Old 07-22-2006, 09:39 PM
Bax
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450 Capri Blue
I don't have my GL yet - being built in September. But is it possible that you had the suspension in the "up" position. I believe at 40 or 45 it lowers to the normal position and then when you stop (or drop below some speed) it raises again to where you had it at the raised position.

So at the stoplight it might be rising again. Does it do this when you don't have it in the raised position?

I could be completely off-base but I thought I read somewhere that that's how it works.

Bax
Old 07-22-2006, 11:19 PM

Thanks for your input, but I always leave the suspension in the "normal" position, and on all the occasions I mentioned, I had not driven over 45 mph, nor had I raised the suspension to the high position.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:34 AM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
i have the exact same vehicle you do and that does not happen to me....I would get it checked out.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The suspension does not raise again automatically.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:39 PM

Hey, everyone:

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll just let sleeping dogs lie, as it has been my experience that when you start going to the dealer for one or another minor adjustment, invariably they damage something else and you end up worse off than when you started. I can live with the occasional airmatic "fart" as well as the occasional self-adjustment in the suspension. At least the "farts" don't smell and the movement doesn't make me seasick. Besides, it might make a nice conversation piece. "What was that?" "Oh, honey, don't worry. My truck just passed gas."
Old 07-25-2006, 03:06 AM
Almost a Member!

'01 911 Turbo, '04 V10 TDI Touareg, '95 E420
Sounds like perfectly normal pneumatic suspension behavior. The suspension on my Touareg does the same thing even though it's a more advanced system than standard system offered on the GL.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by neodoc
Hello, everyone:

Coming from a vehicle with ABC hydraulic suspension, the airmatic system is new to me. I've noticed that at times when stopped at a light, the vicle adjusts its height quite noticeably. This has happened on surface roads, where the speed hasn't exceeded 45 mph, so I doubt it had lowered itself for speed prior to the stop. Moreover, I hear it "passing gas" at different times, both rolling at slow spped and completely stopped, with and without the engine running. I'm wondering if all this is normal. The ride quality is excellent and it will still go up and down on command Any thoughts?
Hi, This type of site is new to me, I hope I am posting a note on the GL page? I purchased an 07 GL450 about 2months ago. I've put on about 2000 miles, and I've made some observations: 1. the car often DOES make an "puff of air" noise when you park. The actual height or level of the vehicle doesn't seem to change. When I loaded it up with about a ton of landscaping rocks, I DID notice an automatic leveling. 2. TRANSMISSION: My transmission is very rough shifting at times, expecially downshift on low speeds. I've had it to the dealer and they can't "find" the problem. Anybody else?? 3. It seems dangerous to me that you can accidentally shift the car, while driving, into park, or reverse! Anybody?? 4. The painted finish of the car seems poor, I don't know if the clear coat was applied incorrectly or what? 5. How do you clean the fabric they put around the edges of the door, etc? Does anyone have a solution for covering the rear bumper to protect from scratches? 6. Radio reception poor, anybody have this problem? Or am I just incredibly picky after spending another $75K on one of their cars?? By the way, it took 2 days for the dealer to install the running board, they said it's very difficult. There are different styles, look in the accessories book for the one made by MB. It's like a silver pipe with two black steps, not one long black step.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'07 s550 4matic
Ive had this fart air puff noise from my E class for some time now which also uses airmatic suspension. Dealer hasnt been able to find the cause/problem. Anyone have a solution?