Off road pack and diesel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 E55
Off road pack and diesel

Is off road pack comes standart on GL 320CDI or is it not available at all with that engine???
You can order one for 450, but I don't see that option for 320CDI.
Doesn't make any sense.

Also - 420CDI - will it come to US?
Old 12-09-2006, 05:46 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Originally Posted by mainroman
Is off road pack comes standart on GL 320CDI or is it not available at all with that engine???
You can order one for 450, but I don't see that option for 320CDI.
Doesn't make any sense.

Also - 420CDI - will it come to US?
Not available, period. Has something to do with torque, I think...
Old 12-09-2006, 08:52 PM
JAM

SL600
Correct, it is a torque/power issue for Low Range and locking the differencials--this is what the dealer says.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 E55
That doesn't make sense. Tourque - is the whole point! CDI will be a lot better off road with low range than gas engine.

Here in Russia all of GLs come with off road pack standart, 450, 550, 320CDI 420 CDI.

May be US spec GL has weaker tranny?
Old 12-10-2006, 09:07 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
That doesn't make sense. Tourque - is the whole point! CDI will be a lot better off road with low range than gas engine.

Here in Russia all of GLs come with off road pack standart, 450, 550, 320CDI 420 CDI.

May be US spec GL has weaker tranny?
It's still the basic 4Matic with more locking differentials, right? So, the 4Matic just can't take the high torque...
Old 12-10-2006, 09:38 AM
JAM

SL600
Interesting that all GLs in Russia have the off-road package. So much for what the dealerships say about torque issues, and yes the diesels are known to have very good torque.

I would bet that in the US it is more of a marketing decision, figuring that if someone wants the off-road package, they will be forced to purchase the more expensive 450 model.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:33 PM
ON PROBATION

MBUSA is always pooring ice-cold water from their Greed Cup onto our passionate desires to have fantastically-built MBZ's here in the States. Oh - and lots of fantastic models of MBZ's, as well.

Do you believe that it really is true that God Himself orders them to do so?

Trending Topics

Old 12-10-2006, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 E55
Originally Posted by JAM
Interesting that all GLs in Russia have the off-road package. So much for what the dealerships say about torque issues, and yes the diesels are known to have very good torque.

I would bet that in the US it is more of a marketing decision, figuring that if someone wants the off-road package, they will be forced to purchase the more expensive 450 model.
I don't beleive in this torque issue. They sell 65 amg engines and Maybachs and their torque is limited yes, but any GL has less - so I don't see how it can be a problem. Diesel is a lot better off road. 4matic will and can handle it. You can have ML320CDI with off road pack here too.

It is really stupid marketing decision as far as I'm concerned same as US spec ML not havign an off road pack. Charge money for the option and that's it. I think they will loose good chunk of sales cos of that to Lexus and may be other brands.
May be they want to introduce it later to help with new car sales......
Old 12-10-2006, 04:21 PM

I don't beleive in this torque issue. They sell 65 amg engines and Maybachs and their torque is limited yes, but any GL has less - so I don't see how it can be a problem. Diesel is a lot better off road. 4matic will and can handle it. You can have ML320CDI with off road pack here too.

It is really stupid marketing decision as far as I'm concerned same as US spec ML not havign an off road pack. Charge money for the option and that's it. I think they will loose good chunk of sales cos of that to Lexus and may be other brands.
May be they want to introduce it later to help with new car sales......
I agree it is a bad marketing decision as well. I KNOW there is some way to make it work. The diesel torque with the off road package would be a perfect combination for inclimate weather or true off roading. And I would actually use it quite a bit for off roading, since I work in the construction field and often find myself in a situation of getting to a job site off the beaten path. Was waiting for the GL320CDI, but now I may be forced to get the GL450 instead.

Last edited by Taz0369; 12-10-2006 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 E55
Originally Posted by Taz0369
I agree it is a bad marketing decision as well. I KNOW there is some way to make it work. The diesel torque with the off road package would be a perfect combination for inclimate weather or true off roading. And I would actually use it quite a bit for off roading, since I work in the construction field and often find myself in a situation of getting to a job site off the beaten path. Was waiting for the GL320CDI, but now I may be forced to get the GL450 instead.
Yep.
Plus GL is a good family car. 7-8 seats. 420 CDI would've offered power and economy, and off road pack with that engine, extra assurance off road or in snow, camping trips and so on.
Cars in USA are very affordable in general and offering 320 and 420 cdi with off road pack would've brought a lot sales and new clients.

Right now I'm deciding on the next car or two and I kinda need 7 seats, very tough decesion to make, not many around and those that have the option are not all good.
So far I'm pretty much stuck at GX470 Lexus....;-), I like it very much - that's a good thing but I'd like to have some choices and I would've bought a used GL 420cdi or even 320, with off road pack in couple of years.

too bad ML does not have 7 seats.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
I have heard 3 different rumors regarding the off-road package availablity on the diesel....

1.) MZB may have not offered the off-road package in the diesel vehicles in the United States due to parts availability. It could be that they only have a certain number of Low-Range t-cases or locking diffs and they have chosen to export those to markets where the Off-Road package is an absolute requirement for potential buyers.

2a.) It could be related to all of the emissions equipment need for the United States takes up the space that would have normally been filled by the low-range t-case.

2b.) The GL320 CDI will soon become the GL320 Bluetec... The added emissions equipment associated with the bluetec system and the adblue injectors may take up the space that would have normally been filled by the low-range t-case. Even though they may have been able to offer the off-road package on the current GL320 CDI, perhaps they did not want to offer it for a short period of time and then make it unavailable when the Bluetecs come out. The bluetec version will initially only be offered in the United States.

I would have gotten the off-road pack if it were available on the GL320CDI, but since it is my wife's vehicle, I am not very likely to take it off the beaten path... Since I already have a vehicle that I crawl around in off-road... I will be using my GL to tow my TJ.

Besides, having gotten used to being able to go the places I go in the Jeep, there is no way the GL would be able to keep up without incurring some serious damage.
Attached Thumbnails Off road pack and diesel-jeep.jpg  
Old 12-14-2006, 11:21 PM
Almost a Member!

R320, GL320, E320cdi's, 500SEL Pullman
GL320cdi WITH Off Road and Right Hand Drive etc

Well ALL Diesels in Australia I hear have Off Road Package. Yes all vehicles.

So it would seem that 1. Australians really use 4X4's for what they were intended, and 2. Most Americans idea of Off Road is grass on the kids' soccer field on a rainy day.

If you imagine global marketing, just in time resourcing etc, it's not hard to see where this Corporate idea came from. The typical US Customer wont use it like someone in Africa, Australia, or Russia would. Those parts of the world get the low range, we dont. simple.

B) I dont buy for a nano-second the torque myth bull. If Brabus and Kleemann can hop these things to over 650 horsepower, then the axels/tranny etc can take all the torque a 6.3 would give em also, so there is NO Engineering basis for this torque myth. Just dont buy it.

I think it's just sending units where they sell the best, and where they need them the most.