GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

MDX '07 or GL450 '07...help please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MDX '07 or GL450 '07...help please

Hi, I'm new here but not new to boards like these with my other vehicles. I am in the market for a new SUV and I have narrowed it down to two: New Acura MDX 07 and the new MB GL450 07. Some background info ... I am newly married but expect to have kids in the next few years etc plus I live in MI so snow snow snow... i'm getting rid of one car (keeping one) and upgrading and keeping the new vehicle for at least 5 years but not more than 10...also I intend to buy/finance not lease.

I just can't seem to justify the price difference of nearly 20k for the GL450 compared to the Acura MDX. My wife says the choice is mine if I can prove it to her etc why one over the other since she finds the 20k difference a bit steep also...and I know the MB also has the hype behind it but I am not taking a 20k leap if I can't justify it in my heart and head.

Practicality before anything else since i'm not "rich" but my wife and I work at the same company now so we just need one good vehicle for work/snow and I have another car which is the everyday banger to putt around in (if it's not snowing). Can someone prove/justify to me the price difference of nearly a cars price. The options I chose are below..I love the GL but I feel the same way about the MDX..Any advice/help is GREATLY appreciated. THANKS in advance for any help :

Here are the options I wanted in both.. they are both nearly fully loaded as can be seen the price is the price including all the options. Please not that I am not bringing in tax and stuff into the price or the vehicle or haggling in price etc. yet just an outright justification...thanks

GL450 WITH OPTIONS:

M.S.R.P.* $71020

Obsidian Black Metallic $700

Options:

Keyless Go $1,100
Class IV Trailer Hitch $500
Rearview Camera $500
Multicontour Seats $800
Bi-Xenon Curve-Illuminating Headlamps and Heated Headlamp Washers $900
Leather Upholstery with Burl Walnut Wood Interior Trim and Interior Ambient Lighting $1,650

Packages:

P1: Premium I $4,500
323 Heating Package $995
324 Sunroof Package $1,500
334 Off-Road Package $2,200

MDX WITH OPTIONS:

M.S.R.P.* $52,262.00

2007 MDX with Sport and Entertainment Packages

Destination: $670.00

Selected Interior Accessories:

Wood-Grain Steering Wheel $549.00
Auto Day/Night Mirror $229.00
Wood-Grain Shift Knob $119.00
Cargo Liner $235.00
All-Season Floor Mats $135.00
Cargo Cover $149.00
Auto Day/Night Mirror Attachment $65.00

Selected Exterior Accessories:

Roof Rails $219.00
Back-Up Sensors $285.00
Front Lower Garnish $259.00
Side Steps $689.00
Side Body Molding $239.00
Engine Block Heater $65.00
Rear Lower Garnish $275.00
Backup Sensor Attachment $285.00

I know they are in 2 different categories but honestly they are the same to me since they both are big SUVs if i had 4 kids then I would say there was a difference (GL would win) but to me it's just more trunk space really so I have to look at other stuff like creature comfort, speed, technology, safety, price, price, did i say price ?

Third row isn't as important since there will be max 2 kids eventually. And towing capacity of 5000 will be more than enough for us atm..nothing really that big to lug around ..yet.

See alot of people from another forum on here :p ...small world after all ..heh

Last edited by KinGLy; 02-04-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
Why ask for advise if you already decided based on price? Mercedes will always be more expensive than Lexus or Acura even though all have the same equipments. My only advise to buy what you like at the price you can afford. I am a Mercedes guy but I also have a Lexus GX470(2005), and let me tell you as much I like the Lexus, it is not comparable to Mercedes AWD system in the snow. In fact I am in the process of trading my Lexus for a GL450. My GX470 is worst than my old 2001 ML320 in the snow My old ML320 never fishtail and always sure footed thanks to the ESP traction system, but I couldn't say the same for the Lexus. I have never driven the Acura in the snow so I can't offer my opinion. Mercedes maybe more expensive but I can trust her to savely transport my family. And for that reason, Mercedes is worth every penny. Good luck with your decision.

John
Old 02-05-2007, 12:29 AM
Almost a Member!

Didn't decide based on price ..I'm ok buying the MDX ..I am questioning if to put extra money and push for the GL450 ....it's obviosly more money but is it worth the difference ..and who better to ask than an owner of one. Some people on here own both vehicles and may give an honest opinion about which they really think was the better money spent. I know both are great vehicles ..and they may not be in the same category but even in your answer you said something that helped me :

Lexus, it is not comparable to Mercedes AWD system in the snow

Mercedes maybe more expensive but I can trust her to savely transport my family
I live in an area that has lots of lake effect snow ..so that brings up a good point...how good is the MDX in snow compared to a GL450 in snow. I have to get out and test drive these vehicles in a week or two to really see how they both perform in snow since there is snow everywhere right now. I am just getting feedback that may be helpful when I go to test drive etc... stuff to pay attention to etc. I am new to the MB arena ..i was nissan/infiniti honda/acura before so a purchase into MB and into a truck with no prior history etc is kinda scary...but I am willing to test waters which is why i'm here ....who knows the experience might make me MB for life

Last edited by KinGLy; 02-05-2007 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
I live in an area that has lots of lake effect snow ..so that brings up a good point...how good is the MDX in snow compared to a GL450 in snow. I have to get out and test drive these vehicles in a week or two to really see how they both perform in snow since there is snow everywhere right now.[/QUOTE]

You couldn't ask for a better time to test drive both vehicles. I have about 2 feet of snow outside from 2 days of lake effect snow here south of Buffalo NY. Test both vehicles in a empty parking lot full of snow and push the vehicles a bit to test its ability. I would pay attention to where the traction warning sign is in the dash cluster. With Mercedes the flashing trangle(ESP sign) is quite visible so you will know what the condition is. The Lexus traction warning sign is at the bottom right and that makes it difficult to monitor the driving condition.

John
Old 02-05-2007, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 ML350 Bluetec for work, E550 for pleasure, & ML350 for my wife
Originally Posted by KinGLy
Hi, I'm new here but not new to boards like these with my other vehicles. I am in the market for a new SUV and I have narrowed it down to two: New Acura MDX 07 and the new MB GL450 07.
I don't own a GL (yet), but I have a few things to offer. My wife drives an ML500. I drive an E550 for my pleasure vehicle. The ride & comfort level in MB's are uncomparable to most other vehicles. It's kind of hard to verbalize, but the MB's just feel right. I recently sold a 3 year old BMW X5, which I felt was much "sportier" than my wifes ML, but it was far less comfortable.

Have you driven the M series? The GL is, in my opinion, not really a fair comparison to any other luxury SUV. It's a pretty huge vehicle. Being as how you don't yet have a real need for all that extra room in the rear, perhaps a nice ML350 or ML500 would fit your needs. A pretty much fully optioned out ML500 comes in right at $60K. (We were shopping them Saturday). These are much more of an apples to apples comparison to the MDX.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1992 500E, 2006 E500, 2007 GL 450
MDX is far more practical choice. Spent a fair amount of time in both. My neighbor decided on the MDX, I bought the GL. His MDX handles better than my GL, my GL has a better ride. On paper the GL is faster but they don't feel much different on the road. Interior space also seems similar. Fit and finish of GL appears notably better. GL's interior is nicer. Close look at MDX evidences a extensive cost cutting (look at welds around wheel wells, hanging exhaust system etc.) GL seems a high quality piece throughout. I also preferred the GL's styling and did not like the grill on MDX.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:17 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
As has always been the case, the essential difference in MB to just about ANY other brand (save maybe the German competition/Volvo) may be what you cannot see. I have always driven one b/c i could not put my family in anything else and feel as safe, knowing that the steel is more reinforced, etc.

As i said, the REAL differences are in design and engineering and those are ones you cannot see, NOR put a price differential on.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Almost a Member!

I am in a similar position...trading in a BMW 330i and selling a Yukon. Because I've owned three bimmers I naturally went to look at the X5's first. But I was drawn to the GL and really liked it.

I also drove the MDX. IMHO, acceleration in the GL is better, especially with the shifters on the steering wheel and 7-speed tranny. The MDX has only a 5-speed and this, to me, is a big mistake. Had the MDX had 6-speeds, it would be a closer argument.

Also, drive the GL 320 CDI - closer in price to the MDX and still a Mercedes.

MDX - better technology integration and execution (see CNET.com car reviews)
GL - better exterior and interior styling IMHO
GL- better resale

Wife wants the GL...I am trying to be practical and look at the MDX...
Old 02-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by nantucketsleigh
MDX is far more practical choice. Spent a fair amount of time in both. My neighbor decided on the MDX, I bought the GL. His MDX handles better than my GL, my GL has a better ride. On paper the GL is faster but they don't feel much different on the road. Interior space also seems similar. Fit and finish of GL appears notably better. GL's interior is nicer. Close look at MDX evidences a extensive cost cutting (look at welds around wheel wells, hanging exhaust system etc.) GL seems a high quality piece throughout. I also preferred the GL's styling and did not like the grill on MDX.
Nan, does your GL have the off-road package?
Does your neighbor's MDX have the Sport package?
This will affect handling significantly...
Old 02-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Almost a Member!

Hi, I'm new here but not new to boards like these with my other vehicles. I am in the market for a new SUV and I have narrowed it down to two: New Acura MDX 07 and the new MB GL450 07. Some background info ... I am newly married but expect to have kids in the next few years etc plus I live in MI so snow snow snow... i'm getting rid of one car (keeping one) and upgrading and keeping the new vehicle for at least 5 years but not more than 10...also I intend to buy/finance not lease.

I just can't seem to justify the price difference of nearly 20k for the GL450 compared to the Acura MDX. My wife says the choice is mine if I can prove it to her etc why one over the other since she finds the 20k difference a bit steep also...and I know the MB also has the hype behind it but I am not taking a 20k leap if I can't justify it in my heart and head.

Practicality before anything else since i'm not "rich" but my wife and I work at the same company now so we just need one good vehicle for work/snow and I have another car which is the everyday banger to putt around in (if it's not snowing). Can someone prove/justify to me the price difference of nearly a cars price. The options I chose are below..I love the GL but I feel the same way about the MDX..Any advice/help is GREATLY appreciated. THANKS in advance for any help :

Here are the options I wanted in both.. they are both nearly fully loaded as can be seen the price is the price including all the options. Please not that I am not bringing in tax and stuff into the price or the vehicle or haggling in price etc. yet just an outright justification...thanks

GL450 WITH OPTIONS:

M.S.R.P.* $71020

Obsidian Black Metallic $700

Options:

Keyless Go $1,100
Class IV Trailer Hitch $500
Rearview Camera $500
Multicontour Seats $800
Bi-Xenon Curve-Illuminating Headlamps and Heated Headlamp Washers $900
Leather Upholstery with Burl Walnut Wood Interior Trim and Interior Ambient Lighting $1,650

Packages:

P1: Premium I $4,500
323 Heating Package $995
324 Sunroof Package $1,500
334 Off-Road Package $2,200

MDX WITH OPTIONS:

M.S.R.P.* $52,262.00

2007 MDX with Sport and Entertainment Packages

Destination: $670.00

Selected Interior Accessories:

Wood-Grain Steering Wheel $549.00
Auto Day/Night Mirror $229.00
Wood-Grain Shift Knob $119.00
Cargo Liner $235.00
All-Season Floor Mats $135.00
Cargo Cover $149.00
Auto Day/Night Mirror Attachment $65.00

Selected Exterior Accessories:

Roof Rails $219.00
Back-Up Sensors $285.00
Front Lower Garnish $259.00
Side Steps $689.00
Side Body Molding $239.00
Engine Block Heater $65.00
Rear Lower Garnish $275.00
Backup Sensor Attachment $285.00

I know they are in 2 different categories but honestly they are the same to me since they both are big SUVs if i had 4 kids then I would say there was a difference (GL would win) but to me it's just more trunk space really so I have to look at other stuff like creature comfort, speed, technology, safety, price, price, did i say price ?

Third row isn't as important since there will be max 2 kids eventually. And towing capacity of 5000 will be more than enough for us atm..nothing really that big to lug around ..yet.

See alot of people from another forum on here :p ...small world after all ..heh
Also Kingly, reconsider the extra dough for leather...MB Tex looks good and is more durable and maintenance free vs. leather. The downside is you get different wood trim with MB Tex and give up the interior ambiance lighting...but you save $1650.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:10 PM

I used to own an ML320 and now a Toyota Landcruiser. MB vehicles have always been ahead of it's competion in terms of features. For example my 99 ML320 had ETS, Brake Assist, as standard. Many of these became standard features on the LandCruser/LX 470 only from the 2002 model year. Even the GL is way ahead of the competition in terms of features. The problem however has been in the execution. They tend to need more visits to the dealer than the japanese competition.

Trade of is better product vs better execution.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:11 PM

MB Tex:

Plus you can say "No Cow was killed or harmed in the making of this truck" ;-)
Old 02-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Also Kingly, reconsider the extra dough for leather...MB Tex looks good and is more durable and maintenance free vs. leather
Yeah I was considering the MB Tex ..I need to see it in person also alot of people describe it as being really close to the leather in looks etc. The difference in price is a good amount.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Wife wants the GL...I am trying to be practical and look at the MDX...
Lol..I am the opposite way ..she want's the MDX for practical reasons and i'm being the crazy one and looking into the GL... I am looking at the fact that a base GL with P1 package is not to bad in terms of price and it could be a better investment (if you can call a car purchase an 'investment' )

I came here to the forum trying to figure out if the GL is practical .. convincing her (and me) will be tough which is why I am asking for all the input.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Almost a Member!

Also, drive the GL 320 CDI - closer in price to the MDX and still a Mercedes.
I'm not really a diesel fan ...I know it will be cheaper ...but it's the GL450 or MDX ...If i am crossing the 50k mark it will be for the GL450 ...other than that it will be the MDX. Thanks for the suggestion though ..I did think about that for a while...

I'm not an ML fan for that matter either...I don't know people say the GL looks like a ML stretched ...but to me the GL looks right and the ML just isn't my taste..weird ..i know

Last edited by KinGLy; 02-05-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:47 PM

'12 ML350
Interesting discussions, these, as we'll need to consider my wife's '06 LX470 replacement in a few months, given that our rep tells us that MBUSA needs 90 days or so to order a GL450 to our spec. And after my ordeal ordering the S550, I believe him...

Is the GL450 built in Alabama along with the ML?

The LX has really served its purpose well as our family truckster and as the tow vehicle for my M3 track car on its trailer. And while my wife likes driving the car, she HATES being a passenger, especially in the back with our infant daughter in her car seat in the first few months, as she found it very stiff and uncomfortable even in the softer suspension settings. In the end, it's an inescapable reality that the LX is a body on frame construction while the GL is a unibody and the ride quality should be MUCH better.

The 7,500 lbs. towing capacity on a class IV hitch on the GL also makes it mighty attractive for my purposes...

If my wife had the choice, however, she would prefer a BMW X5 (new) or X3 as she likes the driving dynamics of the BMW. But in terms of practicality and towing capacity, they fall FAR short of either the GL or the LX.

The proof in the pudding will be the drive of the GL, and I already have a sneaky suspicion that my wife will love it after giving the test drive in the S550 a rave review.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The choice between them should become clearer after test-driving both.

Haven't really met anyone locally who didn't like the MDX. Likewise, there are tons of happy Honda Pilot owners as well.

If 70k for a car is a stretch, I'd probably go the other way. No, I couldn't justify the price difference if I couldn't pay cash.

Based on available info, doesn't sound like the GL's the best answer for you. Your post implies that you know this already.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:51 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
why would anyone pay cash for a car and lose all the benefits of tax deductions? Assuming you can purchase through a business (you could set one up cheaply enough), the first year is $25k deduction on the GL.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Almost a Member!

she HATES being a passenger, especially in the back with our infant daughter in her car seat in the first few months, as she found it very stiff and uncomfortable even in the softer suspension settings
You know that's a pretty good point with kids in the soon future that would mean the same thing for my wife. She would be spending a lot of time back there..or even me at times ...see why I love asking questions ... that's something I never really thought of...I just thought the front had to be real comfortable for the wife and I and the back just had to be ok ..but that was definitely a bad thought. I think that would be a point for the GL most likely..
Old 02-06-2007, 11:15 AM

'12 ML350
You know that's a pretty good point with kids in the soon future that would mean the same thing for my wife. She would be spending a lot of time back there..or even me at times ...see why I love asking questions ... that's something I never really thought of...I just thought the front had to be real comfortable for the wife and I and the back just had to be ok ..but that was definitely a bad thought. I think that would be a point for the GL most likely..
Another point to consider: the rear seat legroom in the LX, while adequate for adults, made the installation of baby seats somewhat tough - not as much space as in the A8L or the upcoming S550.

The Graco SnugRide handles had to be moved down before installing into the base while in the LX, and once down it was fine; but we had to move the Britax Boulevard to the middle seat as it was being interfering the driver's seat back - both my wife and I have our seats further back, I'm 5'10" and my wife is nearly 6' tall.

So need to think about number and location of the LATCH anchors and the space available in the back to maneuver the baby seat.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:30 PM

3/30/07: B/B GL450 01 319 323 324 334 396 550
Go sit in the third seats of both vehicles for ten minutes.

Adjust the third row seats to make room for furniture, junk, bike, etc. That sold it for me. GL 3rd row is a difference maker.

Knock off some of the add ons on the GL and your difference won't be that much... if it was me I'd ixney the keyless entry, the multi-contour seats (don't like the control placement) and the rearview camera (lived w/ the parktronic on my exploder for years just fine...how many minutes are you actually in reverse during the life of the vehicle?), punt on the leather - MBTex is quite similar, - remove those and that is basically what I ordered for $750 under invoice. -cjd

Last edited by Abscam; 02-06-2007 at 01:35 PM. Reason: update
Old 02-06-2007, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Abscam
Go sit in the third seats of both vehicles for ten minutes.

Adjust the third row seats to make room for furniture, junk, bike, etc. That sold it for me. GL 3rd row is a difference maker.

Knock off some of the add ons on the GL and your difference won't be that much... if it was me I'd ixney the keyless entry, the multi-contour seats (don't like the control placement) and the rearview camera (lived w/ the parktronic on my exploder for years just fine...how many minutes are you actually in reverse during the life of the vehicle?), punt on the leather - MBTex is quite similar, - remove those and that is basically what I ordered for $750 under invoice. -cjd
$750 UNDER invoice on an ordered car? Can you post the MSRP of your NetStar order with options and also the price you are paying.

MB will be giving these things away pretty soon with a deal like that...
Old 02-06-2007, 03:34 PM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
$750 UNDER invoice on an ordered car? Can you post the MSRP of your NetStar order with options and also the price you are paying.

MB will be giving these things away pretty soon with a deal like that...
I sure hope so...maybe just in time for when we order ours!
Old 02-06-2007, 05:51 PM

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts
'20 s560; '15 targa4s; '24 cayenne
you sound like a family man. only once choice then: benzo. cannot comprise the safety of your family for anything. full stop. the benzo crumple cages are famous for saving lives over and over. don't beleive me? go to one the forums (this one or similar) and go to the "safety testimonial" pages. the pix alone will convince you that one can survive *almost* any crash in a benzo.

i pay the extra $ commanded by benzo for the famous safety design and engineering. money can be replaced, your family cannot.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Almost a Member!

I don't think you'll find the proof/justification that you're looking for here. At the end of the day, the only proof/justification that matters is which vehicle do you like more, and if it's the GL, are you willing to pay X more dollars for that additional degree of satisfaction. For many people, the GL is definitely not worth the extra money because the areas in which it differs from (and is superior to) the MDX don't matter. For others, those areas of difference are all that matter and the price difference is irrelevant. All you can do is collect data on how the two cars differ, then form your own opinion as to how important those differences are to you.

Having looked extensively at both, here are my thoughts on the similarities and differences.

1. Design. This is highly subjective area, but the MDX has a more contemporary/technological look to it, inside and out. The GL has a modern but understated/classic design to it. In terms of the exterior, it's a toss up for me between the two, but only because I don't particularly like the looks of either one. In terms of the interior, the GL wins by a landslide, both in terms of design and quality. I really dislike the MDX dash, enough so that it could be better than the GL in every other conceivable area and I still wouldn't want one (who wants to spend time trapped in an environment that they can't stand?).

2. Utility. GL is clearly bigger and has more cargo capacity. If you don't need the extra space though, it doesn't matter. No idea if the GL is better than the MDX in snow, but the GL is more offroad capable if that matters at all to you.

3. Performance. The MDX has a much more car like feel to it, and is definitely sportier to drive than the GL. The GL drives like the bigger, taller, heavier vehicle that it is, but also has a more comfortable ride.

4. Safety. No idea really. I know that both vehicles are supposed to very safe, but I don't think there is any comparative data between the two.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MDX '07 or GL450 '07...help please