GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL 450 wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
GL 450 wheels

I am wondering if anyone has found any good looking wheel options for the GL 450? I ordered the appearance package with the 19" rims and it is due to arrive in may, but I would think I would like to buy some chromes for summer driving. I have read some reports of people being disappointed with the 19" wheels from MB. I think the wheels add a lot to the looks of a vehicle.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
You have a fair amount of options for custom wheels for MB. All depends on how much you want to spend. And, if you really like a wheel, it can always be chromed. For higher end wheels, start at http://www.brabus-usa.com
Old 02-27-2007, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by oknish
You have a fair amount of options for custom wheels for MB. All depends on how much you want to spend. And, if you really like a wheel, it can always be chromed. For higher end wheels, start at http://www.brabus-usa.com
I'll be putting 20" Monoblock E's on mine when it arrives. I think they are good looking wheels, but other Brabus wheels are nice as well. O.Z. makes a GL fitment in the Canyon series which you can see at Tirerack's site. Suprisingly, there are not a lot of aftermarket wheels made for the GL...yet.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:34 PM

GL 450
Smile GL 450 wheels

I know, I have been suprised. I have been looking all over for options so I can get them ordered. I have seen an option by OEM that will chrome the 19"s that come in the appearance package for $650, or outright sell them for $1700.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Almost a Member!

I think one of the big problems with finding wheels that fit the GL is that the recommended wheel offset is rather large. There aren't too many manufacturers selling wheels with the right bolt pattern and offset.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by MBGLGuy
I think one of the big problems with finding wheels that fit the GL is that the recommended wheel offset is rather large. There aren't too many manufacturers selling wheels with the right bolt pattern and offset.
And the strength to support the GL in all it's capabilities.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:36 AM

Does anyone know if you can get the wheels that came on the Premier Edition from either the factory or the dealer? I just got a blank stare when i asked the salesman at the dealership.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:00 AM

GL 450
You can get the Porrima rims (20 inch) which look like the same ones as the PE for I believe $2396 from the factory. They should be listed on the accessory portion of the GL Mercedes website.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 CLS400 | 2009 S550
Originally Posted by sgnelmd
You can get the Porrima rims (20 inch) which look like the same ones as the PE for I believe $2396 from the factory. They should be listed on the accessory portion of the GL Mercedes website.
Rims only right?
Old 02-28-2007, 12:12 PM

I have seen the Porrima rims and the PE rims side by side, and they aren't quite the same. My salesman kept trying to tell me they are the same, and they aren't...the spokes on the Porrima rims are wider. I prefer the PE rims, but will probably get the Porrima if the PE's aren't available. The PE rims look very similar to the rims that were available on the ML with the appearance package...but that package appears to be no longer available.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Chrome wheels for the GL

I just recently posted this on the Tire Rack forum...but perhaps the answers I need may be with this group...

"Anyone have any suggestions on what 19" wheel in Chrome would look good on a GL320CDI in Obsidian Black? Have ordered the Appearance package with 19" wheels but since I am now going with OB as the color, I feel chrome may look really good. I am not looking for bling...just a solid 19" wheel in chrome with a similar 55 profile...do not want a low profile tire, in fact would like to use the factory stock 275x55 tires.

Any input appreciated...I know nothing about wheels specs..."
Old 02-28-2007, 02:12 PM

The BYO site has changed a bit - they no longer list Porrima rims but call them "Tyndarides 20 inch 5-Spoke Wheel." They look the same to me. $2496 for 4.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I just recently posted this on the Tire Rack forum...but perhaps the answers I need may be with this group...

"Anyone have any suggestions on what 19" wheel in Chrome would look good on a GL320CDI in Obsidian Black? Have ordered the Appearance package with 19" wheels but since I am now going with OB as the color, I feel chrome may look really good. I am not looking for bling...just a solid 19" wheel in chrome with a similar 55 profile...do not want a low profile tire, in fact would like to use the factory stock 275x55 tires.

Any input appreciated...I know nothing about wheels specs..."
Any wheel you get in 8.5x19 will use the 275/55 tire - no problem there. If the width increased to 9.5, you'd have to get wider tires, something like a 295 - and you'd have to go down a step in aspect to keep about the same total rim/tire diameter: 295/50. The tire would still be just as thick, only about an inch wider to match the inch wider rims (9.5 vs 8.5.) Having gone through this search recently, there are not a lot of wheels to choose from with GL fitments, and even fewer (I didn't see any) that are chrome. You could get any you like chromed, however.

Wheel Specs: e.g. 8.5x19 or 9.5x20 - rim width and diameter.

Tire Specs: e.g. 275/55 The first number is the width in millimeters. The second number is the aspect ratio - in this case the tire is 55% as tall (thick) as it is wide: 275x55%=151mm thick.

If you get a wider tire, e.g. 295 (mm wide) you will have to drop down to a 50% aspect to keep the tire thickness about the same 295x50%=147.5. If you don't drop down a size in aspect, your speedometer will be way off.

You attempt to maintain the original wheel/tire diameter and can do this with any rim by varying the thickness of the tire. As rim size decreases, tire thickness increases (larger aspect %) and the opposite as rim size increases. That's why you see rubber band tires on 24 and up rims.

Edit: millimeters not centimeters

Last edited by boxboss; 02-28-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by boxboss
The BYO site has changed a bit - they no longer list Porrima rims but call them "Tyndarides 20 inch 5-Spoke Wheel." They look the same to me. $2496 for 4.
You are right...the Tyndarides wheels are the same as the Porrima...unless MBUSA forgot to change the picture.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by boxboss
Any wheel you get in 8.5x19 will use the 275/55 tire - no problem there. If the width increased to 9.5, you'd have to get wider tires, something like a 295 - and you'd have to go down a step in aspect to keep about the same total rim/tire diameter: 295/50. The tire would still be just as thick, only about an inch wider to match the inch wider rims (9.5 vs 8.5.) Having gone through this search recently, there are not a lot of wheels to choose from with GL fitments, and even fewer (I didn't see any) that are chrome. You could get any you like chromed, however.

Wheel Specs: e.g. 8.5x19 or 9.5x20 - rim width and diameter.

Tire Specs: e.g. 275/55 The first number is the width in centimeters. The second number is the aspect ratio - in this case the tire is 55% as tall (thick) as it is wide: 275x55%=151cm thick.

If you get a wider tire, e.g. 295 (cm wide) you will have to drop down to a 50% aspect to keep the tire thickness about the same 295x50%=147.5. If you don't drop down a size in aspect, your speedometer will be way off.

You attempt to maintain the original wheel/tire diameter and can do this with any rim by varying the thickness of the tire. As rim size decreases, tire thickness increases (larger aspect %) and the opposite as rim size increases. That's why you see rubber band tires on 24 and up rims.
Thanks for the primer on tire and rims...feel I have some idea now of what the numbers mean.

I am reluctant to chrome the MB OEM alloys since I remember reading that MB did not recommend it due to defects showing up later on?
Old 02-28-2007, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Thanks for the primer on tire and rims...feel I have some idea now of what the numbers mean.

I am reluctant to chrome the MB OEM alloys since I remember reading that MB did not recommend it due to defects showing up later on?
Note that I edited my "primer" post to state millimeters rather than centimeters.

Seems like I remember a post recently about someone chroming their OEM rims. Try a search.