GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Complaint (a small one)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 03:11 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Complaint (a small one)

Does anyone else feel that the quality of the entire interior is really top-notch, only to pull the darn sun-visor down and realize again EACH AND EVERY TIME that it belongs in an 85 Yugo.

Honestly, I love this vehicle but cannot believe the cost-cutting that went into the visors. Wish someone would aftermarket those puppies...
Old 04-16-2007, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
LOL..............I feel the same way, at times. Especially when I get out of wife's S80. Her visors are covered with leather.

Mine are more messed when the dealer installed new airbag stickers on my old ones. Left a sticky edge hanging on both vanity mirror covers and sticky goo exposed on other side. Going to have them replace it one of these days.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by carpersn
Does anyone else feel that the quality of the entire interior is really top-notch, only to pull the darn sun-visor down and realize again EACH AND EVERY TIME that it belongs in an 85 Yugo.

Honestly, I love this vehicle but cannot believe the cost-cutting that went into the visors. Wish someone would aftermarket those puppies...

I don't have mine yet.....but, when I test drove, I noticed the same thing! I hope that MB or the aftermarket will make replacements available!
Old 04-16-2007, 08:43 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
random question - how can i take off all those airbag warning stickers without leaving any residue or leaving any of the sticker behind? i tried it as soon as we got the vehicle, but said stickers just shread into tiny pieces each time i try to grab some and pull it off.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by jenz
random question - how can i take off all those airbag warning stickers without leaving any residue or leaving any of the sticker behind? i tried it as soon as we got the vehicle, but said stickers just shread into tiny pieces each time i try to grab some and pull it off.
This question has been discussed on several detailing forums without a decent answer. Some say acetone (fingernail polish remover) is the best bet but be careful in that it can melt the vinyl in the process. The consensus is to leave them alone - despite their look.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:46 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
I like the GL overall, but disappointed by how much aftermarket necessary to complete the look and feel. The thing about no decent cargo liner that stays in place with seats up or down is getting on my nerves. MB should have over the hump liners for the second row. Protection velcro mats for the sides and hatch would be nice too. If you're gonna make a family hauler equip as such. No LATCH clips for the middle in the second row either. I like to protect a vehicle as much as possible then use it. A SUV is for groceries, sippy cups, and baseball games. Having said all that, I went off road in it and was very pleased. All the protection underneath was put to good use. Gonna have to take the passenger side plate off to get the rocks out!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by Jack450
I like the GL overall, but disappointed by how much aftermarket necessary to complete the look and feel. The thing about no decent cargo liner that stays in place with seats up or down is getting on my nerves. MB should have over the hump liners for the second row. Protection velcro mats for the sides and hatch would be nice too. If you're gonna make a family hauler equip as such. No LATCH clips for the middle in the second row either. I like to protect a vehicle as much as possible then use it. A SUV is for groceries, sippy cups, and baseball games. Having said all that, I went off road in it and was very pleased. All the protection underneath was put to good use. Gonna have to take the passenger side plate off to get the rocks out!
Tell us a little more about that experience...........
Old 04-17-2007, 09:34 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
Originally Posted by jenz
WD40 removes everything! And I've found it to be very safe.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:17 AM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by oknish
LOL..............I feel the same way, at times. Especially when I get out of wife's S80. Her visors are covered with leather.

Mine are more messed when the dealer installed new airbag stickers on my old ones. Left a sticky edge hanging on both vanity mirror covers and sticky goo exposed on other side. Going to have them replace it one of these days.
Mine came the exact same way; the airbag stickers are crooked and there is goop on the side. When I take it in for it's first service (between 1,000 & 3,000 miles) I'm going to ask them to fix it.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
Mine came the exact same way; the airbag stickers are crooked and there is goop on the side. When I take it in for it's first service (between 1,000 & 3,000 miles) I'm going to ask them to fix it.

WOW.......I thought I was the chosen one but thanks for bursting my bubble

Let us know how you get it resolved. Hopefully they will replace both the covers.