GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Got it!...first impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Got it!...first impressions

After the first 4 hours..............beautiful vehicle! Things we have all heard about: AC outlet reflection in side mirrors - its actually in the window glass not the mirrors and is minor annoyance at most. Black plastic bumper pad is attached by clips and maybe glue as well not sure what I'm going to do about that.....have my nice stainless one ready to go but it may be more work than its worth. Transmission......working perfectly for the 1st 35 miles! Things I have learned: the rear wheel well inner surround material is like a fuzzy felt.......will be interesting to see how that cleans up when mud, road salt, etc. gets up in there! Pairing up my bluetooth razr was simple.......BUT the owners manual doesn't even mention it! Controlling the multic. seats requires a bit of a learning curve! Ok....enough for now ....back out to the car!
Old 05-08-2007, 07:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blittle
After the first 4 hours..............beautiful vehicle! Things we have all heard about: AC outlet reflection in side mirrors - its actually in the window glass not the mirrors and is minor annoyance at most. Black plastic bumper pad is attached by clips and maybe glue as well not sure what I'm going to do about that.....have my nice stainless one ready to go but it may be more work than its worth. Transmission......working perfectly for the 1st 35 miles! Things I have learned: the rear wheel well inner surround material is like a fuzzy felt.......will be interesting to see how that cleans up when mud, road salt, etc. gets up in there! Pairing up my bluetooth razr was simple.......BUT the owners manual doesn't even mention it! Controlling the multic. seats requires a bit of a learning curve! Ok....enough for now ....back out to the car!
Thanks for the report. Get that camera out and let's see some pics! After the pictures, work on the bumper plate.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Sounds great blittle...will be looking for lots of pictures...enjoy!

That fuzzy wheelwell stuff is on my S also. A new material...it not only catches all the junk but also deadens sounds inside the vehicle.

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 05-08-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Change your sig, blittle. It's about time Glad you are enjoying the ride. Pics please.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Sounds great blittle...will be looking for lots of pictures...enjoy!

That fuzzy wheelwell stuff is on my S also. A new material...it not only catches all the junk but also deadens sounds inside the vehicle.
Yeah....I can see the benefit on the sound side. Speaking of sound.......my dealer was REQUIRED to put the roof cross bars on because of a quirk in the Pa. inspection law, but of course I can take them off but I actually was not bothered by them......perhaps there was wind sound that I might not here if they were gone BUT I am coming from a Jeep Grand Cherokee and compared to that the GL is VERY quiet........so I might leave them there because there is a slight possiblity I might use 'em. Ok.....time for the rest you guys to get yours....lets get with it Vance
Old 05-08-2007, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Yeah....I can see the benefit on the sound side. Speaking of sound.......my dealer was REQUIRED to put the roof cross bars on because of a quirk in the Pa. inspection law, but of course I can take them off but I actually was not bothered by them......perhaps there was wind sound that I might not here if they were gone BUT I am coming from a Jeep Grand Cherokee and compared to that the GL is VERY quiet........so I might leave them there because there is a slight possiblity I might use 'em. Ok.....time for the rest you guys to get yours....lets get with it Vance
Great to hear about that ride and first impressions. Looking forward to hearing what you think about the crossbars if you take them off. With all the crap we haul to the mountains (skis, boards, bikes... you get the picture) out here, I can't imagine not having them on.

I'll be coming from a Trailblazer, so I'm sure with the crossbars on, like you, it'll sound wonderfully quiet to my ears!

Enjoy the next 35 miles!
Old 05-09-2007, 05:47 AM

13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
Congratulations, now put some miles on that GL and post some pictures!
Old 05-09-2007, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jpeardm
Congratulations, now put some miles on that GL and post some pictures!

Miles going on tomorrow.......900 mile roundtrip to cabin in Vermont! Pictures ONLY after I clean it up after that! Other things I have learned: memory system is not programed to the key fob, pay attention to the power tailgate - you need at least 7ft 5in of clearance to open it unless you program it for "limited opening" In otherwords if you don't have that much clearance and forget...........
Old 05-09-2007, 09:56 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
...Pairing up my bluetooth razr was simple.......BUT the owners manual doesn't even mention it! Controlling the multic. seats requires a bit of a learning curve! Ok....enough for now ....back out to the car!
If your puck came in the car, then the dealership probably forgot to include your little mini-manual (more of a pamphlet)...i believe you can download this at wireless4mb.com

You're going to love it-i have 3300 miles and NO problems with anything YET!
Old 05-09-2007, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by carpersn
If your puck came in the car, then the dealership probably forgot to include your little mini-manual (more of a pamphlet)...i believe you can download this at wireless4mb.com

You're going to love it-i have 3300 miles and NO problems with anything YET!

Found it......thanks!
Old 05-09-2007, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

For what it's worth.......
Felt like I had a balance problem on the front .......figured I would need to have them rebalenced, but checked pressures and found the fronts were at 39 lbs. Rec. pressure is 32 front and 38 back for the 18's........so, lowered the fronts to 35.....backs were at 38. Drove the vehicle....no more "balance bounce"
Old 05-16-2007, 08:01 PM

Miles going on tomorrow.......900 mile roundtrip to cabin in Vermont! Pictures ONLY after I clean it up after that! Other things I have learned: memory system is not programed to the key fob, pay attention to the power tailgate - you need at least 7ft 5in of clearance to open it unless you program it for "limited opening" In otherwords if you don't have that much clearance and forget...........
about the power tailgate, you can press the botton one more time on its way openning up and it stops wherever.