GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Vance, we have another problem!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E320 Sedan
Exclamation Vance, we have another problem!

Yep. Round two for me too. Just as mlorez reported in his thread here:here

I was stranded along I-10 heading to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. Had the kids and a load of stuff and got half way there when I heard and felt a loud pop, which sounded like an engine backfire, and then lost power. Luckily, I was near an off-ramp and just before a 12 mile stretch of nothing, when this happened. Called tele-aid and the dealer and we all agreed that I could limp it back to the dealership some 25 miles away. It was my choice or otherwise wait for a tow. Made it back slowly but okay. They had a C Class waiting for me and off we went 2 1/2 hours after the incident. No New Orleans for us. We'll try again tomorrow.

Very similar to what happened a few days ago although this time I could drive it whereas the other day I couldn't get 500 feet. Weird I know.

One more time and I hire an attorney. I will not tolerate it again. My family and I almost went to Orlando for the long weekend but decided against it. I'm glad I didn't now. I do have a trip to GA and VA planned in a few weeks so this better get fixed right this time.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is
You may very well be aware of our state's lemon law, but the problem has to exist after 3 attempts have been made to repair it. To me, this says you have to have this problem two more times before invoking the lemon law.

MS Lemon Law

I will place my order Monday - glad I'm going for the gas.

Last edited by boxboss; 02-17-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:06 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
Originally Posted by boxboss
This is
You may very well be aware of our state's lemon law, but one more time for this issue and your problematic GL will be theirs.
MS Lemon Law

I will place my order Monday - glad I'm going for the gas.
I hope it doesn't come to this. I've already gone through this with another vehicle I owed (Saab 9-3) but luckily the manufacturer offered to buy it back before I had to hire an attorney. It was a very painless experience.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AutoSaurus
I hope it doesn't come to this. I've already gone through this with another vehicle I owed (Saab 9-3) but luckily the manufacturer offered to buy it back before I had to hire an attorney. It was a very painless experience.
I hope it doesn't come to that, too - here's to a permanant repair. If it does, MBUSA should do the same and avoid some very bad publicity on a brand new model - especially if the diesels are on QC hold - pretty much de facto evidence of a major problem.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 GLS450, 2015 E250BT 4Matic, 2007 GL320CDI, 2005 SLK350, 2001 SLK320
As a person with a GL320 on-order, I'm suddenly feeling queasy about this entire purchase. I can live with the minor bugs that come along with a first-year purchase, but I cannot tolerate being stranded. That goes double if it's my wife who gets stuck in the middle of nowhere. I'm buying an MB because of its proven safety. But getting stranded is not a very safe thing!
Old 02-17-2007, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by boxboss
I hope it doesn't come to that, too - here's to a permanant repair. If it does, MBUSA should do the same and avoid some very bad publicity on a brand new model - especially if the diesels are on QC hold - pretty much de facto evidence of a major problem.
The diesels are not on a QC hold...there was a hold but that is over and cars are shipping. Apparently however, they did not get to some cars if the problem experienced by Jack and others was the cause of the hold.

We will just have to wait and see what information comes to light. I intend to contact my rep on Monday and discuss this situation with him and see if I can learn anything.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:55 PM

AS...I was the unproud owner of a Saab 9-3 as well. What a piece of crap!!! The car ran out of warranty before my lease was up...I tried every conceivable way to get rid of it...but it had depreciated so much i would have had to take a huge hit on it. so i parked it in the driveway, and bought another car...was cheaper to make two car payments than to drive the saab and pay for weekly visits to the dealership to fix things.

Sure hope they get your GL fixed once and for all. Have been contemplating ordering a 450 here...but after your experience and then reading the MB Lemon website...might just stick with my pathfinder that has been totally problem free for 4.5 years and 70k miles. I DO NOT want a Saab repeat.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:40 PM

3/30/07: B/B GL450 01 319 323 324 334 396 550
First year production ALWAYS has issues - its just a fact of life. That is why people always admonish to not buy first year production vehicles. There are bound to be problems that they need to shake out.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:19 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Despite the fact that my GL was supposedly released to carrier last tuesday, it got pulled back into the quality control hold loop last week-they think it is out, but i have been out of town and so don't know yet.

I'm extremely upset by your second situation, Jack, and do hope that maybe the first time your dealer tried to fix and that this time they'll talk to the factory to see if there's been a corrective fix issued.

Again, please keep me updated as i am not real happy at this point to be taking delivery of my new GL and half expecting to break down b/c of what's happened to you.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by carpersn
Despite the fact that my GL was supposedly released to carrier last tuesday, it got pulled back into the quality control hold loop last week-they think it is out, but i have been out of town and so don't know yet.

I'm extremely upset by your second situation, Jack, and do hope that maybe the first time your dealer tried to fix and that this time they'll talk to the factory to see if there's been a corrective fix issued.

Again, please keep me updated as i am not real happy at this point to be taking delivery of my new GL and half expecting to break down b/c of what's happened to you.
I have sent an email to my rep and asked for some facts on exactly what the problem is. I also am concerned about a future delivery.

Everyone, please post any information that can enlighten us as it comes to light.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:30 AM

1997 E320 Sedan
Just got off the phone with my service advisor (manager) and told them I would not accept the vehicle back until the factory or factory rep was notified of the problems and that I could be assured it wouldn't happen again. I politely reminded them that this was the second time (which they were already very aware) but didn't mention anything beyond that as far as buyback, lemon law, etc. I'll hold that card until needed.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:00 PM

2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Jack, I'm attaching the link to the feedback section at MBUSI-might as well use that too, no?
http://mbusi.com/pages/of_home.asp
Old 02-19-2007, 06:57 PM

That is a most excellent suggestion. Should bring that to the top and make it sticky.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Bluetec Blues?

Originally Posted by mbslk350
As a person with a GL320 on-order, I'm suddenly feeling queasy about this entire purchase. I can live with the minor bugs that come along with a first-year purchase, but I cannot tolerate being stranded. That goes double if it's my wife who gets stuck in the middle of nowhere. I'm buying an MB because of its proven safety. But getting stranded is not a very safe thing!
MBSLK:

I have been thinking long and hard before buying a 2006 E320 CDi instead of the 2007 Bluetec. There are many reasons:

The in line 6 is an iron block with the turbo to one side. No useless filters. Proven engine sold in Europe for many years.
The V-6 is all alloy with the turbo located on top of the V. Too many filters. Too complicated. Strict fueling requirements.

There was a similar report on this board under the diesel section by someone test driving a Bluetec E320 V-6 with sudden power loss on the highway.

It is very unwise of MBUSA not to recall if there is a problem with the new diesel engines.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by harkgar
MBSLK:

I have been thinking long and hard before buying a 2006 E320 CDi instead of the 2007 Bluetec. There are many reasons:

The in line 6 is an iron block with the turbo to one side. No useless filters. Proven engine sold in Europe for many years.
The V-6 is all alloy with the turbo located on top of the V. Too many filters. Too complicated. Strict fueling requirements.

There was a similar report on this board under the diesel section by someone test driving a Bluetec E320 V-6 with sudden power loss on the highway.

It is very unwise of MBUSA not to recall if there is a problem with the new diesel engines.
There is nothing wrong with the V6 diesel engine...it had been running for over two years in EU. The fueling requirements are not strict, they just require you to use what is now the standard diesel fuel suppied nationwide.

I personally don't feel the problem is with the engine but perhaps with some of the US environmental modifications required to meet US standards. One problem we know was a hose clamp on the intercooler hose and perhaps there may be other such shortcomings. I do hope they get the problems identified quickly for the one's having problems and also for the one's awaiting build.

It also appears that the problem is with cars built during a period in January which could indicate a quality problem from a supplier. If there were a major component malfunction then I am sure there would be recall but as indicated, the engine had been tested in EU under all conditions for over two years.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Not gloating

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
There is nothing wrong with the V6 diesel engine...it had been running for over two years in EU. The fueling requirements are not strict, they just require you to use what is now the standard diesel fuel suppied nationwide.

I personally don't feel the problem is with the engine but perhaps with some of the US environmental modifications required to meet US standards. One problem we know was a hose clamp on the intercooler hose and perhaps there may be other such shortcomings. I do hope they get the problems identified quickly for the one's having problems and also for the one's awaiting build.

It also appears that the problem is with cars built during a period in January which could indicate a quality problem from a supplier. If there were a major component malfunction then I am sure there would be recall but as indicated, the engine had been tested in EU under all conditions for over two years.
Jack:

I hope everything works out just fine for all. There are lots of good points with the V-6 Bluetec package too - the 7 speed tranny, the higher horsepower, the nicer interior. I bought a 2006 diesel because I got a sweet deal as well as the advantages I posted earlier.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by harkgar
Jack:

I hope everything works out just fine for all. There are lots of good points with the V-6 Bluetec package too - the 7 speed tranny, the higher horsepower, the nicer interior. I bought a 2006 diesel because I got a sweet deal as well as the advantages I posted earlier.
If MB had put that straight 6 diesel in the E wagon I may well be driving one today...still cannot understand why the US does not get a diesel wagon. I would have chosen it over the GL320CDI.

You have a sweet car for sure...:-)
Old 02-20-2007, 05:30 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
UDPATE:

Awaiting new clamp and intercooler hose. Dealer was able to duplicate the problem and then discuss with MB who is now aware of the problem.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:35 PM

fingers crossed for you and the rest of the CDI folks out there...
Old 02-20-2007, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UDPATE:

Awaiting new clamp and intercooler hose. Dealer was able to duplicate the problem and then discuss with MB who is now aware of the problem.
Good news Jack...appears to be coming down to a single problem and nothing major to be concerned about, except for the incovenience.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:19 PM
EWT

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 07 Audi A4
UDPATE:

Does MB use a regular worm style hose clamp or do they use something heavier duty like a t-bolt clamp?

Eric
Old 02-20-2007, 07:17 PM

Glad you have an answer, Jack...wonder why they didn't get it fixed right the first time? Mine is still not here, but dealer gave me an ML500 to drive til it arrives...i figure he is pretty sure it is on the way soon or he would've given me a C...
Old 02-20-2007, 09:03 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
Originally Posted by carpersn
Glad you have an answer, Jack...wonder why they didn't get it fixed right the first time? Mine is still not here, but dealer gave me an ML500 to drive til it arrives...i figure he is pretty sure it is on the way soon or he would've given me a C...
It's the pressure that is forcing the hose off from what I gathered in my short phone conversation. Supposedly the tech went around to several auto parts stores looking for a 'better' clamp than is provided by the factory. I'm thinking this is a fix until MB comes up with a better plan. I guess I'm the real guinea pig now. I'm not sure why a new hose was ordered but I will find out more tomorrow when I pick it up.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:17 PM
EWT

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 07 Audi A4
It's the pressure that is forcing the hose off from what I gathered in my short phone conversation. Supposedly the tech went around to several auto parts stores looking for a 'better' clamp than is provided by the factory. I'm thinking this is a fix until MB comes up with a better plan. I guess I'm the real guinea pig now. I'm not sure why a new hose was ordered but I will find out more tomorrow when I pick it up.
Jack,

Your tech needs to double clamp the hose or better yet, replace the stock clamp with a t-bolt clamp. T-bolt clamps http://www.kshoseclamp.com/t-bolt_clamps.htm are available from NAPA auto parts stores. T-bolt clamps allow you to put a lot more clamping force on the hose, although you have to be careful if you're clamping the hose to a plastic pipe because the pipe may collapse if you tighten it too much. I have a lot of experience with this issue from owning several modified high-boost turbo cars. Spraying hairspray on the pipe where the hose clamps on to it helps as well.

Eric
Old 02-21-2007, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by EWT
Jack,

Your tech needs to double clamp the hose or better yet, replace the stock clamp with a t-bolt clamp. T-bolt clamps http://www.kshoseclamp.com/t-bolt_clamps.htm are available from NAPA auto parts stores. T-bolt clamps allow you to put a lot more clamping force on the hose, although you have to be careful if you're clamping the hose to a plastic pipe because the pipe may collapse if you tighten it too much. I have a lot of experience with this issue from owning several modified high-boost turbo cars. Spraying hairspray on the pipe where the hose clamps on to it helps as well.

Eric
I can't speak for Jack but I don't think he really is interested in having his tech apply a non-MB clamp or "hairspray" to solve the problem. The car is two weeks old and MB should send a replacement clamp and hose that meets their specs or spec a new clamp and hose that will eliminate the hose coming loose from the intercooler. It is a design flaw and should be rectified by MB.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Vance, we have another problem!