GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Black plastic bumper pad is OFF!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Black plastic bumper pad is OFF!

I will post pictures of the process in a little while, but, I got the thing off and put the stainless one on! The black one is NOT glued on .... it is held on by a series of plastic clips and pins. It can be removed through a process of pry and move....and, you will break the plastic pins on the pad when you do it. Probably the only other way is for the dealer to remove the bumper and work at it from the interior of the bumper. However, I managed to get it off and not do any damage to the bumper or the paint..........in essence, the the pad clips and plastic "give" before the bumper does. In fact, while a little scary while I was applying the pressure to free it, I was amazed how easily the clips just broke off. The stainless one looks so much more in tune with the rest of the vehicle.........
Old 05-14-2007, 07:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for being the guinea pig! When you put the chrome one on, did it fit in the holes the black one had used or did you have to use the tape? What happened to the broken pieces of clips and pins? Did they fall out of the bumper or are they in there rattling around?

Get those pics up - I'm glad you thought to do that!
Old 05-14-2007, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
You guys with the black ones are probably better off as the chrome one will now mechanically fasten on. I had to break off the tabs and pins and use double sided tape which I don't think will last too long, I'll see????
Old 05-14-2007, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by jpeardm
You guys with the black ones are probably better off as the chrome one will now mechanically fasten on. I had to break off the tabs and pins and use double sided tape which I don't think will last too long, I'll see????
Let's hope that is the case. Remember, the chrome plate was actually for the ROW. The black one is for US (caps or not) and it wouldn't suprise me if they made the clips and pins different for the peons.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by boxboss
Let's hope that is the case. Remember, the chrome plate was actually for the ROW. The black one is for US (caps or not) and it wouldn't suprise me if they made the clips and pins different for the peons.

They are not quite the same.......of course I had already filed and sanded mine off of the chrome one so I can't be 100% sure, but, just looking at what are on the black one I don't think that is what the tabs, etc looked like on the chrom one. My experience with the body tape on other vehicles is that is will not come off until you make it come off. My chrome piece is on there rock solid..the tape is fantastic! I beleive one of the broken pieces of plastic may have fallen down in there.......but I don't think I'll ever hear that. I've never posted pictures.......so I'm working on that now.....of course, I'm using a Mac and some things assume a windows machine!
Old 05-14-2007, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by blittle
[/COLOR]

They are not quite the same.......of course I had already filed and sanded mine off of the chrome one so I can't be 100% sure, but, just looking at what are on the black one I don't think that is what the tabs, etc looked like on the chrom one. My experience with the body tape on other vehicles is that is will not come off until you make it come off. My chrome piece is on there rock solid..the tape is fantastic! I beleive one of the broken pieces of plastic may have fallen down in there.......but I don't think I'll ever hear that. I've never posted pictures.......so I'm working on that now.....of course, I'm using a Mac and some things assume a windows machine!
Good, we're all in the same boat then with the tape!
Old 05-14-2007, 08:20 PM

I've never posted pictures.......so I'm working on that now.....of course, I'm using a Mac and some things assume a windows machine!
So, cut the shuck and jive and on with the pictures!

FWIW, my preferred method of posting (and seeing) pics is resize the pics to 800x600 (lowest common monitor resolution - make sure the file size is less than 1mb, and it should be at 800x600) and upload to this board using the "manage attachments" button below your posting screen. That will result in thumbnails that make loading the thread easier for those on dial up (if any) and also make quoting your post easier as well. You can only upload 5, but multiple post make that a non-issue.

Trending Topics

Old 05-14-2007, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by jpeardm
Good, we're all in the same boat then with the tape!
Posting with the Mac is the same as windows. Just use the "manage the attachment" as boxboss says and upload the file. The file size and format is shown on the manage attachment upload menu.

If you have a website then just copy the URL of the image with [img] xxx [/img] with xxx being the URL.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[/COLOR]

I was hoping if the black one uses clips that they would match the chrome ones since I have requested my delivery dealer to install it before delivery. If there is a problem I will order the chrome and remove the black one like you did.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I was hoping if the black one uses clips that they would match the chrome ones since I have requested my delivery dealer to install it before delivery. If there is a problem I will order the chrome and remove the black one like you did.
Guys, that really has to be the case. I can't imagine them retooling the bumper to make holes for a $200 plate. I'm sure that whatever covers the holes in the bumper for the ROW application has been "holed" to accept the clips for the black one. I would also be willing to bet the black one is the same as the chrome one...sans chrome.

BTW, for those that have the chrome one, is it really stainless or a "chromed plastic"? It obviously has a plastic base (the clips can be snapped off) so if it's really metal, it must be an overlay of the [we got black] plastic part.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok.....lets see if this works.....

Picture 1 is of the bumper after I pulled the black one off.........lots of holes!

Picture 2 is of the backsides of the chrome plate and the black one. Of course, I had already filed, clipped and sanded the tabs, etc. off the chrome one....but I really don't think they were the same as those on the black one. Picture 3 is of the chrome installed. Pic. 4 is the beast itself!

I think if the tabs, etc. were still on the chrome it would not have mounted correctly ( would have been loose ) the black one had posts with plastic/metal retaining clips mounted from the inside of the bumper and when I applied enough force to pull it up, the plastic posts broke ( rather easily ) and at least one of the retaining clips fell down into the bumper. Anybody that wants to try this......send me a PM and I'll provide a little more detail.

Last edited by blittle; 03-08-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:04 AM

2014 GL 450
Great job & nice pics
Old 05-15-2007, 05:50 AM

[QUOTE=blittle;2206034]Ok.....lets see if this works.....

Lookin good!
Old 05-15-2007, 08:03 AM

Picture 1 is of the bumper after I pulled the black one off.........lots of holes!

Picture 2 is of the backsides of the chrome plate and the black one. Of course, I had already filed, clipped and sanded the tabs, etc. off the chrome one....but I really don't think they were the same as those on the black one. Picture 3 is of the chrome installed. Pic. 4 is the beast itself!

I think if the tabs, etc. were still on the chrome it would not have mounted correctly ( would have been loose ) the black one had posts with plastic/metal retaining clips mounted from the inside of the bumper and when I applied enough force to pull it up, the plastic posts broke ( rather easily ) and at least one of the retaining clips fell down into the bumper. Anybody that wants to try this......send me a PM and I'll provide a little more detail.
Thanks for the pictures - it looks so much better than the black one. PM sent.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:10 AM

NJ Edison, ACURA TL , GL450
Thumbs down

Man! Those bumper holes have made me thinking. I am not so sure on prying out the plastic one and putting on the steel plate.
I may be selling mine to someone who wants to have it.
It was better earlier when they didn't have a plate at all. All those holes for a plastic plate ! Someone at MB is really having enough vacant space where brain is supposed to be.
Is there a chance the steel plate would glue on top of plastic one ?
Old 05-15-2007, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nice job and chrome looks great. Thanks for posting.

It looks to me like the bumper holes can accomodate either of the two pieces when I try to match up the clips (what is left of them) for the short area shown. I may be wrong but it looks like the black one uses only some of the holes and the chrome all of the holes. This would seem logical to me? Having two different bumpers does not.??? My dealer will let me know if the chrome can be mounted in place of the black one using the clips...I hope.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GLDriver
Man! Those bumper holes have made me thinking. I am not so sure on prying out the plastic one and putting on the steel plate.
I may be selling mine to someone who wants to have it.
It was better earlier when they didn't have a plate at all. All those holes for a plastic plate ! Someone at MB is really having enough vacant space where brain is supposed to be.
Is there a chance the steel plate would glue on top of plastic one ?
None at all............ Here's what I did: I very gingerly pulled up on one end to see if it would give and it did......that's how I determined that it was not glued. I kneeled down so that I could see under the piece when I pulled up on the end ( using only my fingers so as not to damge the paint ) managed to get it up maybe 1/4 in. and could see the tab structure....also could see a post/pin type piece. After doing this several times I convinced myself that it would come off by.......starting at one end and pulling up slowly with one hand AND pulling the piece BACK toward the rear of the vehicle AT THE SAME TIME with the other hand. Doing this, you will feel something give and the pad begins to come up .... a little more force and the first pin snaps and you continue this process across the pad from one side to the other and off it comes. Once it starts it's only a minute or so and you've got it off......also, once it starts there is no turning back! Sticking the new on is pretty much the process described in previous posts either here or on benzworld....I forget which.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Nice job and chrome looks great. Thanks for posting.

It looks to me like the bumper holes can accomodate either of the two pieces when I try to match up the clips (what is left of them) for the short area shown. I may be wrong but it looks like the black one uses only some of the holes and the chrome all of the holes. This would seem logical to me? Having two different bumpers does not.??? My dealer will let me know if the chrome can be mounted in place of the black one using the clips...I hope.
NJ......you may be right, or at least should be right! I do believe, however that to do the job correctly, the dealer will have to get at the inside of the bumper to remove the retaining clips on the old and perhaps attach something similar to the new......but if you want to do it yoursel check a recent post I put up on the whole process......not as bad as it appears and the tape is so strong I can move the whole vehicle by tugging on the bumper plate. Good luck..........When you get the GL
Old 05-15-2007, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NJ......you may be right, or at least should be right! I do believe, however that to do the job correctly, the dealer will have to get at the inside of the bumper to remove the retaining clips on the old and perhaps attach something similar to the new......but if you want to do it yoursel check a recent post I put up on the whole process......not as bad as it appears and the tape is so strong I can move the whole vehicle by tugging on the bumper plate. Good luck..........When you get the GL
I would like the dealer to take care of it before delivery if possible...more money but just like to have it done with. I agree if the dealer does it he will probalby remove the bumper and apply the chrome with new clips. They do major mods at this dealership so removing the bumper would not be a problem for them.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:55 AM

From a previous post, the clips on the chrome one are "L" shaped:

I think you could put the "L's" into the holes and slide the piece forward to lock it in. What will make it stay in place? There seems to be small bumps under the "L" shapes that could fit into indentations or provide a friction lock. With any luck at all, I'll be finding out this weekend!
Old 05-15-2007, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
Blittle--Gutsy move..........Looks great...........

BoxBoss--Regarding your question on the stainless plate, it is a thin piece of stainless steel wrapped over a plastic base (which has the tabs on it).

After seeing all of this all I can say is I am very thankful mine did not come with anything on it......
Old 05-15-2007, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BeanCounter
Blittle--Gutsy move..........Looks great...........

BoxBoss--Regarding your question on the stainless plate, it is a thin piece of stainless steel wrapped over a plastic base (which has the tabs on it).

After seeing all of this all I can say is I am very thankful mine did not come with anything on it......
I think you guys with the no-black strip had it easier.

This is obviously a change in parts for the bumper on the US model...the GL320/450 crowd will get the black one and the GL550/420 crowd will get the stainless one. That is why I think the chrome strip will attach using the holes in place of the black one.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And now.............here is why they went with a black one in the frist place ( experience is a great teacher!)......IF you have the backup camera, there are certain times when the sun is going to reflect off the stainless bumper plate and almost blind the camera!!!! Granted is not all of the time and cloudy days will not matter BUT I do believe that the designer guys must have realized there was going to be a problem when the camera became available ....so they stopped making the stainless an option, for awhile put nothing on, realized the bumper needs something and came back with the black one..............sound like a possible scenario? Still ..... it looks a #@** of lot better than the black!
Old 05-15-2007, 11:51 AM

Good scenario. I'll take the chrome piece anyday. This camera is too wide angle for me anyway, only good for a general view to make sure my lazy dog is out of the way.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And now.............here is why they went with a black one in the frist place ( experience is a great teacher!)......IF you have the backup camera, there are certain times when the sun is going to reflect off the stainless bumper plate and almost blind the camera!!!! Granted is not all of the time and cloudy days will not matter BUT I do believe that the designer guys must have realized there was going to be a problem when the camera became available ....so they stopped making the stainless an option, for awhile put nothing on, realized the bumper needs something and came back with the black one..............sound like a possible scenario? Still ..... it looks a #@** of lot better than the black!
Good theory, but they never had a chrome one on the US model. It is a standard option for the EU models and I think they also have the rear view camera. In addtition the new GL550 introduced in NY had the chrome strip on it and I am sure that it had the rear view camera.

I think they may have seen the error of their ways without the sill guard and saved a few pennies with the black plastic one for the "peons" as well as using a single bumper design for either.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Black plastic bumper pad is OFF!