GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Happy New GL Owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 03:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GL 450
Happy New GL Owner

Another happy new GL450 owner here! Have not posted yet, someone else did to show a picture of my wheels from another forum. As for the wheels, we like chrome with some colors, and this is the second time we have done a chrome wheel exchange after careful research. We are thrilled with the quality and look.

When detailing the new paint for the first time, I did have problems getting some fine scratches and marring out of the newer MB nano ceramic particle clear coat that were apparent in direct sunlight or strong garage lights. After claying, I tried my Porter Cable Random Orbital with Sonus pads, Sonus polish and then Meguiar’s DACP, with not only no results, but at one spot worse results!

I then researched the new clear coats and found that really only Menzerna was making a new polish for the MB factories, along with a different density foam pad. I purchased them from:

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/index.html

The polish they sell is a re-formulated Menzerna, called Blackfire Scratch Resistant Clear Finishing Polish 16 with more lubricants for a longer working time. It all worked and I am thrilled with the results! Even under a 250 watt halogen light, I removed 98% of the paint defects with two passes, one each with their CCS White and CCS Green Polishing Pads.

More importantly, the polish really shined up the paint noticeably. I then topped with three coats of Zaino Z-2 Pro and then for more durability, the new spray on Zaino Z-CS Clear Seal. Very easy now to dust and or wipe down with a detailing spray and micro fiber towel.

Thought some of you would like to know this approach works…

Old 05-28-2007, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
Welcome and it looks great! A lot of surface area on the GL, you worked hard. I also like the Zaino products, just did mine 2 weeks ago. The chrome wheels work well too.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Fantastic looking GL! Great sparkling mirror finish and the chrome wheels are perfect. Great images also! Congrats and welcome...
Old 05-28-2007, 09:50 AM

2000 E320, 2007 Land Rover LR3 HSE, 2008 E350
Nice ride - we're in the process of purchasing a Sport Ute; however, I'm undecided if we're looking to do the GL or the Land Rover LR3 w/ 3rd row seating - enjoy your new ride.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great looking GL and an excellent detailing job. BTW, how did you get the fine scratches and marring?
Old 05-28-2007, 11:36 AM

GL 450
Originally Posted by boxboss
Great looking GL and an excellent detailing job. BTW, how did you get the fine scratches and marring?
From thr factory - ever seen the white plastic they place on some panels for transport protection? Removing that, plus everything else, stuff happens...
Old 05-28-2007, 12:02 PM

I couldn't find any scratches on mine, but did have some adhesive in places. (I told my SR to not wash it.) I gave it a once over with Klasse AIO - the adhesive and water spots came right off, and provided a good base for Souveran carnauba.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:40 PM

GL450
Chrome Wheels

FireGuy,

Where/how did you get the wheels chromed? I pick up my GL450 Obsidian Black, with Off Road Package in Houston about 15 June, and then drive to San Diego. Just got back from Iraq, and ordered it a couple of months ago when I was in country. I have orders to San Diego for the next three years which will be a great break from spending all my time in Iraq.

Just saw somewhere else on this forum that the wheels could be swapped in LA, I think?

Thats why I mentioned San Diego. The GL looks great, and I am researching the cleaning products you mentioned at this time.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
great looking car...congrats
Old 05-28-2007, 05:25 PM

GL 450
Originally Posted by montesquieu1748
FireGuy,

Where/how did you get the wheels chromed? I pick up my GL450 Obsidian Black, with Off Road Package in Houston about 15 June, and then drive to San Diego. Just got back from Iraq, and ordered it a couple of months ago when I was in country. I have orders to San Diego for the next three years which will be a great break from spending all my time in Iraq.

Just saw somewhere else on this forum that the wheels could be swapped in LA, I think?

Thats why I mentioned San Diego. The GL looks great, and I am researching the cleaning products you mentioned at this time.
The wheels are from Cal Chrome in Santa Clarita, which is far north LA - 2.5 to 3 hrs from downtown San Diego.
http://www.calchrome.com/

Review their process, which is existing coating removal and then multi layer re-plating. I drove to them and had them make the swap, move the tire pressure sensors and then re-balance on a Hunter Road Force Machine. I am very happy with the results. Cost was $175/wheel, given your cores go to them. Plus mounting etc...
Old 05-28-2007, 06:52 PM

GL450
Thanks for the help. I will check out the website. So basically, they are going to trade me a set that they have already chromed for mine, plus the cost for chrome, mounting, balancing, etc... Not bad at all. Any regrets or second thoughts? The pictures look great.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by FireGuy
When detailing the new paint for the first time, I did have problems getting some fine scratches and marring out of the newer MB nano ceramic particle clear coat that were apparent in direct sunlight or strong garage lights. After claying, I tried my Porter Cable Random Orbital with Sonus pads, Sonus polish and then Meguiar’s DACP, with not only no results, but at one spot worse results!

I then researched the new clear coats and found that really only Menzerna was making a new polish for the MB factories, along with a different density foam pad. I purchased them from:

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/index.html

The polish they sell is a re-formulated Menzerna, called Blackfire Scratch Resistant Clear Finishing Polish 16 with more lubricants for a longer working time. It all worked and I am thrilled with the results! Even under a 250 watt halogen light, I removed 98% of the paint defects with two passes, one each with their CCS White and CCS Green Polishing Pads.

More importantly, the polish really shined up the paint noticeably. I then topped with three coats of Zaino Z-2 Pro and then for more durability, the new spray on Zaino Z-CS Clear Seal. Very easy now to dust and or wipe down with a detailing spray and micro fiber towel.
I have a couple of questions; first, are you planning on covering your vent fins with the chrome caps? I do think the chrome looks very sharp against the black vehicle. Second, this is my first black vehicle and I'm obsessing just the tiniest bit over it. All right, I'm trying to obsess a lot, but I don't have the skill set to do it right! So, can you explain what it was you did at first, and then afterwards with the finishing polish, that I should do to ensure my car is the absolutely shiniest, best-kept vehicle on the block? And how should I actually wash off the dirt/grime/bugs to start with so as not to further damage what's now become a road-tripped vehicle?

Lastly, supposing I was willing to go to a detail shop somewhere here in Scottsdale, how would I know whether they were professionals or just swirly-makers?

Thanks,
STP
Old 05-28-2007, 10:02 PM

2004 S500 & 2011 Mini JCW
Thanks for your link, I received the brochure on the new line from your link. I was unsure as to how all the products works with the new MB paints until your thread. The GL looks perfect, keep up the great work.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:07 PM

Steve, I suggest you spend some time reading the threads on the detailing forum of this board Detailing Forum or other detailing forums. They can give you a wealth of info on taking care of your GL. Fireguy has even started a thread there.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by boxboss
Steve, I suggest you spend some time reading the threads on the detailing forum of this board Detailing Forum or other detailing forums. They can give you a wealth of info on taking care of your GL. Fireguy has even started a thread there.
Good call - I should read more than one forum here anyway!

Thanks,

Steve
Old 05-29-2007, 12:41 AM

GL 450
Originally Posted by montesquieu1748
Thanks for the help. I will check out the website. So basically, they are going to trade me a set that they have already chromed for mine, plus the cost for chrome, mounting, balancing, etc... Not bad at all. Any regrets or second thoughts? The pictures look great.
No regrets. We also did an exchange last year on my wife's new Lexus IS350 with their spider rims. The GL has not been out long, so you get a factory rim that can't have many miles on it. IF you want yours to sit on jack stands for 10 days, send them your wheels. I inspected the rims before mounting, all MB numbers on the inside and the finish was flawless.

On thread someone give the "opinion" that off road the tire bead might slip on chrome and thus throw off the balance. I suppose anything is possible, especially running very low tire pressures in sand, but I saw the rim before mounting, the bead area is not highly polished and to my touch the same surface texture as a factory alloy finish. Besides, if this was all that dangerous, would multiple high end delaerships have used this firm for years? Also, I was impressed with their multi-part plating process, and the time it took to "make" them, if they are out-of-stock when you call, they can't, won't rush a set of wheels that is in production. Seeing their building, they have a LOT of wheels in stock and are shipping a pallet or two out every day...
Old 05-29-2007, 12:56 AM

GL 450
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
I have a couple of questions; first, are you planning on covering your vent fins with the chrome caps? I do think the chrome looks very sharp against the black vehicle. Second, this is my first black vehicle and I'm obsessing just the tiniest bit over it. All right, I'm trying to obsess a lot, but I don't have the skill set to do it right! So, can you explain what it was you did at first, and then afterwards with the finishing polish, that I should do to ensure my car is the absolutely shiniest, best-kept vehicle on the block? And how should I actually wash off the dirt/grime/bugs to start with so as not to further damage what's now become a road-tripped vehicle?

Lastly, supposing I was willing to go to a detail shop somewhere here in Scottsdale, how would I know whether they were professionals or just swirly-makers?

Thanks,
STP
I am not considering the chrome hood vent fins for two reasons - I like the all black hood and second, I don't want to risk a sun reflection back into my eyes...

Lots of detailing forums and web sites to read, some mentioned here and in the detailing forum. I learned from the internet and then slow practice. I'd interview around your area and ask the dealership for a reference for someone that knows the newer MB paint, interview them, then check their references.

Even if you have it "detailed" its wasted $$ if you won't take care of it properly:
1. NO automated car washes, EVER.
2. No free dealer washes, EVER.
3. You wash, lambs wool mitt, two buckets. One soap, one mitt rinse. Flood the water from the top down, NOT spray, you want the grit to flow off. Then soap the mitt, ONE pass straight up or down a panel, per side of the mitt, starting from the top and hood, down to the dirty lower panels. Rinse the mitt between swipes. Flood the car off and then use microfiber towels to dry. Once you get the hang of it, it takes no longer.

4. In between wet washes, use a "california" duster for LIGHT dust, and if needed a detailing spray and microfiber towel wipe down.

I took care of my last car this way for three years and at 36 months, a dark grey car had NO wash swirls or scratches in it...

As for wax, I have converted to sealants like Zaino. Waxes, especially in your climate will "cook" off the hot metal in no time - like 30 days. That is too much work. Properly prepared with clay job and machine polish, sealants are a twice a year thing. The new Zaino CS Clear Seal spray I have topped with is supposed to last 9 months, we will see...
Old 05-29-2007, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
FireGuy - beautiful shine and wet look. Maybe we should a GL detail party in CA with you as the "Owner of the hour: When are you coming to LA next? LMK and we will get together for a bite.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am not considering the chrome hood vent fins for two reasons - I like the all black hood and second, I don't want to risk a sun reflection back into my eyes...
Good points!

Lots of detailing forums and web sites to read, some mentioned here and in the detailing forum. I learned from the internet and then slow practice. I'd interview around your area and ask the dealership for a reference for someone that knows the newer MB paint, interview them, then check their references.
All excellent information. Dragging my sorry butt over to the detailing forum, I found there was a hell of a lot of information to go through.

I don't know when we'll be in LA, but OKNish is trying to organize a detailing party. Like a snipe hunt but with a better outcome!