GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Purchase taxes, fees and charges

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 535d - MB V220 CDI
Purchase taxes, fees and charges

Hi guys, I am posting from Madrid!! (My nick VamosRafa! is intended for supporting our local hero, the tennis player Rafa Nadal... )

I am planning to purchase a MB GL 450 in US, but I have no experience in buying vehicles in America. In mbusa.com I can configurate my own vehicle, so with my selection of options I will have to pay for it around $70k MSRP.
Then, it is stated: "MSRP includes $775 transportation and handling charge and excludes all taxes, title/documentary fees, registration, tags, Mercedes-Benz Dealer prep, labor and installation charges, insurance, optional equipment and accessories, certificate of compliance or non-compliance fees, and finance charges."

Can you help me in identifying what other taxes, fees and charges will I have to pay for it, taking into account that I will pay it enterely by cash and hence will not finance it??
Old 05-31-2007, 08:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VamosRafa!
Hi guys, I am posting from Madrid!! (My nick VamosRafa! is intended for supporting our local hero, the tennis player Rafa Nadal... )

I am planning to purchase a MB GL 450 in US, but I have no experience in buying vehicles in America. In mbusa.com I can configurate my own vehicle, so with my selection of options I will have to pay for it around $70k MSRP.
Then, it is stated: "MSRP includes $775 transportation and handling charge and excludes all taxes, title/documentary fees, registration, tags, Mercedes-Benz Dealer prep, labor and installation charges, insurance, optional equipment and accessories, certificate of compliance or non-compliance fees, and finance charges."

Can you help me in identifying what other taxes, fees and charges will I have to pay for it, taking into account that I will pay it enterely by cash and hence will not finance it??
Do you plan on keeping it in the US or taking it back to Spain? If you are keeping it in the US, the taxes and fees will depend on the state in which you register the vehicle. Sales tax will be 5% to 8%. Registration, fees and tags could be another $750 to $1500.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:39 AM

BMW 535d - MB V220 CDI
Exclamation

Yes, boxboss, I am planning to take in back to Spain. Here I will have to pay the VAT(@16%) plus other fees.

Some added questions:

Do you believe that sales tax (5 to 8%) are refundable for a foreigner?
Is there any tax / fee, other than this 5-8% plus $750 to $1500?
Is the sales tax the "State tax"?
Can a visiting tourist buy a car in the US?
Old 05-31-2007, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Yes, boxboss, I am planning to take in back to Spain. Here I will have to pay the VAT(@16%) plus other fees.

Some added questions:

Do you believe that sales tax (5 to 8%) are refundable for a foreigner?
Is there any tax / fee, other than this 5-8% plus $750 to $1500?
Is the sales tax the "State tax"?
Can a visiting tourist buy a car in the US?
Here's some more information about it you'll have to deal with!http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/export/ex...or_vehicle.xml
Old 05-31-2007, 12:57 PM

Why not just buy it in Spain?
Old 05-31-2007, 03:03 PM

Mercedes GLE 63S / GL 420 CDI / C250 Diesel 4 MATIC
I am from originally from Portugal Vamosrafa. Mercedes US does not authorizes their dealers to export new cars for other markets. If you buy a new Mercedes, it has to pay everything to the dealer regarding the car itself on top you must pay the title and tag and of course the state sales taxes. If you buy a used one you have to pay only the car not the title, tag and the state sales taxes. That's why you have to title the car so the dealer is not exporting the car, he have sold the car for domestic use because it is titled. Only then you can export your new car with a local shipping agent. For example if you buy the car in Florida the sales taxes are 6% on top of the value of the car. You can save some money buying the car in the US, but becarefull if it is diesel. In the US GL 320 is coming only with the Blueteck engines which uses Ultra Low Sulfur diesel, that is not available in Spain. Good Luck Vamosrafa.

Last edited by MERCFAN; 05-31-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:25 PM

In the US, vehicle is a licensed property which means all fees and taxes are determined by the address you title the vehicle at. For example, if you title the vehicle in San Francisco, CA, you need to pay sales tax at 8.5% plus CA registration fees at about 1% or some other document fees but very minimal. If you intend to export the vehicle to Spain, no US fees or taxes should be attached but there might be export taxes or duties you need to pay for. I suggest you get in touch with an US dealership by email for more detail information.

Why don't you get one in Europe?
Old 06-01-2007, 04:30 AM

BMW 535d - MB V220 CDI
I am planning to buy it in US because the prize is better there, and also because the exchange rate between dollar and euro is very much benefitial to us at this moment. That is the reason why.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:23 AM

BMW 535d - MB V220 CDI
Originally Posted by hiddenvalue
In the US, vehicle is a licensed property which means all fees and taxes are determined by the address you title the vehicle at. For example, if you title the vehicle in San Francisco, CA, you need to pay sales tax at 8.5% plus CA registration fees at about 1% or some other document fees but very minimal. If you intend to export the vehicle to Spain, no US fees or taxes should be attached but there might be export taxes or duties you need to pay for. I suggest you get in touch with an US dealership by email for more detail information.

Why don't you get one in Europe?
Do you believe that I can title the car at a provisional address where I should be staying as a visiting tourist?
Old 06-01-2007, 08:21 AM

Do you believe that I can title the car at a provisional address where I should be staying as a visiting tourist?
I don't think so. You will need to be "domiciled" in the state to register a car there. You will [in most cases] have to show a driver's license, proof of insurance, and have a physical address to register the car. These requirements prevent folks in a high tax state from buying/registering a car in a low tax state then bringing it back to the state where they live. In fact, in my state, you have to show a driver's license to get the required annual inspection.

The only way out for you would be to give the purchase cash to a very good friend, have them buy it, title/register it, then sell it back to you. It would then qualify as a "used" car and be eligible for export.

OTOH, if you give someone more than $10k in a given year, they usually have to report it on their income tax.

I'm not familiar with MB, but we in the US can do a "European Delivery" (ED) on certain cars made in Europe and save a decent amount. Any chance you could do an "American Delivery" since the GL is made in the US?
Old 06-03-2007, 01:48 PM

Mercedes GLE 63S / GL 420 CDI / C250 Diesel 4 MATIC
As easy as that.

You have two diferent situations. One is that the dealers must obey the rules imposed by the brand. Mercedes, Chrysler, Rover, Porsche do not authorize their dealers to export new cars. You have to tittle the car and pay all taxes not refundable. Then you can export the car as used. Normally dealers have the middle man, which normally are companies that work with them in this situations. The dealership with your consent thru one of this companies, they title the car in their name, then after this, they can export the car to spain even without you going to the States. Better yet, go to the states choose the car, pay everything and the dealership with the middle man and the forwarder company take care of everything, without any documentation from you. They only need the money and the shipping adress. As easy as that. But again, becareful with the diesel GL in Europe because of the Ultra Low Sulfur requirments.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:32 PM

BMW 535d - MB V220 CDI
Thank you, Mercfan, this is really clarifying. In fact you can use what you can a "middle man" or else a very good friend staying in the States can do it for you (I am for this last case).

Regarding ULSD, I think Repsol-YPF has the so-called e10+ stuff that complies....