Cat C13 Engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Cat C13 Engine

Way off topic but it was interesting to drive a different diesel engine, and the Caterpillar ("Cat") C13 engine was what was provided on my 42' RV. It's an inline 6 with 12.5l displacement, and in the version I drove had 525hp@2100 rpm, 1750 lb-ft @ 1200rpm.

This coach had been damaged by the previous renter and I think that's why I ended up with both a slight transmission seal leak and low coolant. I also blew white smoke (non-exhaust) nearly the whole trip, and blew enough oil (for almost three days) to coat the entire rear of the coach. When the coolant level reached a certain critical point, the engine warning lights came on and the engine de-rated by killing the turbo. Of course, it took going to a Cat dealer who could hook up the computer to tell me the coolant was low. Warning light, anyone? Sheesh. Then for the last 300 (out of about 6000) I got a Check Engine light and the monitoring system showed the engine only going to about 76% load.

This is one loud, floor-shaking engine. It suffers from the same off-the-line lag as my 320 but it lasts for about twice as long (GREAT for entering a freeway with a short ramp ) and was so troublesome I have to believe it was damaged by the previous renter. Needless to say, I am not happy about the whole situation. If you want to see the coach itself, go to allstarcoaches.com and check out the Beaver Patriot Thunder in California.

End of off topic. (For those old enough to remember, "End of line.")
Old 07-16-2007, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
That's a pretty heavy duty diesel, it's used in Fire trucks and highway trucks. That was a big rig you were pushing around. Aside from the engine problems how tiring was it driving that thing?
Old 07-16-2007, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jpeardm
That's a pretty heavy duty diesel, it's used in Fire trucks and highway trucks. That was a big rig you were pushing around. Aside from the engine problems how tiring was it driving that thing?
Considering I spent 6000 miles fighting bad alignment, had to move the steering wheel as much as 30-45 degrees against the wind of passing semis or when I was passing semis, and I was always worried about lane placement, rear swing, and people cutting me off ...

The rig was really beautiful but huge, and if it wasn't for the American Express deal on it I probably wouldn't have splurged so much. It had some very cool features (like in-motion DirecTV and a pretty automatic grey/black tank system), but with all the screw ups on it, it pretty much ruined it for me. Shame.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Considering I spent 6000 miles fighting bad alignment, had to move the steering wheel as much as 30-45 degrees against the wind of passing semis or when I was passing semis, and I was always worried about lane placement, rear swing, and people cutting me off ...

The rig was really beautiful but huge, and if it wasn't for the American Express deal on it I probably wouldn't have splurged so much. It had some very cool features (like in-motion DirecTV and a pretty automatic grey/black tank system), but with all the screw ups on it, it pretty much ruined it for me. Shame.
Kinda like the movie huh?
At least you got to visit "wonderful" Massachusetts and our hot humid summers. (I've lived here all my life but I'm still not sure how to spell Massa.....).
Old 07-16-2007, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Kinda like the movie huh?
At least you got to visit "wonderful" Massachusetts and our hot humid summers. (I've lived here all my life but I'm still not sure how to spell Massa.....).
In the movie, Robin Williams' dash air worked. Mine blew literally hot. It's exhausting to be constantly bouncing around, fighting the wheel, AND sweating.

West Springfield wasn't too bad on the second day. In fact, it rained, which is how my finger slipped trying to pull the awning out (one of those scissors arms dealies) and left my index finger with a cut about an inch and a half long, pretty friggin deep. The worst was the humidity and the bugs in Illinois on the way back. We got about a dozen mosquitos in the rig opening the door twice.

It's like 144 pairs of dentures - Mass o' chew sets!
Old 07-16-2007, 03:29 PM

In the movie, Robin Williams' dash air worked. Mine blew literally hot. It's exhausting to be constantly bouncing around, fighting the wheel, AND sweating.

West Springfield wasn't too bad on the second day. In fact, it rained, which is how my finger slipped trying to pull the awning out (one of those scissors arms dealies) and left my index finger with a cut about an inch and a half long, pretty friggin deep. The worst was the humidity and the bugs in Illinois on the way back. We got about a dozen mosquitos in the rig opening the door twice.

It's like 144 pairs of dentures - Mass o' chew sets!
Sorry about the finger, that kind of cut takes a long time to heal up. At least you're back in the mosquito free air of AZ. I will be out in Phoenix 8/13 -20 and looking forward to that dry air.

In the mean time with that finger messed up, you'll have to enlist some help opening up the Corona bottles.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry about the finger, that kind of cut takes a long time to heal up. At least you're back in the mosquito free air of AZ. I will be out in Phoenix 8/13 -20 and looking forward to that dry air.

In the mean time with that finger messed up, you'll have to enlist some help opening up the Corona bottles.
Si! Are you out here for bizniz or pleasure? August in Phoenix is the time I used to enjoy because the place was a ghost town. It be hot out here then!

If you've got time on your hands maybe we'll have to kidnap you and take you up to Sedona or Jerome for some cool air and crystal rattling aged hippies!
Old 07-16-2007, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
The worst was the humidity and the bugs in Illinois on the way back. We got about a dozen mosquitos in the rig opening the door twice.
Ahhhhhhhh, the beauty of the Land of Lincoln. I can't believe we're heading there in a couple of weekends to visit family. There may not be anything worse than Central Illinois in August, especially attending a county fair.

Go Illini!
Old 07-16-2007, 05:57 PM

Si! Are you out here for bizniz or pleasure? August in Phoenix is the time I used to enjoy because the place was a ghost town. It be hot out here then!

If you've got time on your hands maybe we'll have to kidnap you and take you up to Sedona or Jerome for some cool air and crystal rattling aged hippies!
Thanks, maybe would could fit that in! Well, I guess I was a hippie for a couple years in the 60's but realized making money was more fun than living in my friends VW bus so in Jerome I could see how I might have ended up.
We're coming out to "install" my son at ASU Tempe. He's going into the Carey business school so we will be running around with all that stuff.
Maybe I could ask for some restaurant recommendations?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We're coming out to "install" my son at ASU Tempe. He's going into the Carey business school so we will be running around with all that stuff.
Maybe I could ask for some restaurant recommendations?

A) ASU is one of the most under-rated state universities I know of. B) ALWAYS ask the fat guy where to eat!

I'll try to come up with some interesting suggestions before then. PM me to remind me!