GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

No heating package with leather?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2007 | 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
judt ordered a 08 ML320 CDI and ran into the same issue with heating package not allowed with leather package. Also, they dropped the AMG package which was top on my list.
Old 07-26-2007 | 09:00 PM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
Originally Posted by sunil @ motorwerks
judt ordered a 08 ML320 CDI and ran into the same issue with heating package not allowed with leather package. Also, they dropped the AMG package which was top on my list.
what was the AMG package?/ did you mean off road pkg?

Sandeep
Old 07-26-2007 | 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
No, the AMG package was AMG wheels, flared fenders, front and rear bumpers.
Old 08-16-2007 | 12:40 AM

Currently Driving a BMW 325 Sport Wagon
Ok I have to vent - as some of you know I am a BMW guy. I drove the GL on a rare chance visit to a MB dealership here in Palm Beach, FL. The GL I drove was a 07 with ADSII and Multi Contour Seats but was black on black and I am a navy on tan kind of guy...

As we all know we can't get ADSII or Multi Contour Seats in the 2008 GL 320 because MB likes to take away options. I was just about to get back to building out a 08 GL320 and found that I can't get heated seats with full leather so I did my search here on the forum and bam here is this thread.

I reviewed GL's posts about why MB can't offer options in the US because of the sticker price of the EU - ummmm ok not really my problem and then discovered some sort of rant about year-over-year sales success by MB and how they (MB) must know their customer and vehicle wants/needs blah blah blah... The fact of the matter is that the entry lux market exploded during the time horizon GL pointed out. Lexus and Infiniti also launched and yes though MB did well, so did everyone else and had MB really paid attention to their customers, companies like Lexus wouldn't have been so popular during the time MB experienced sales growth -- again like the rest of the luxury car market.

Here is my point. I want a full size suv. I want a diesel. I like a lot of GL consider'ers don't have a budget however:
-I will never own a vehicle with out full leather seats I could give a rats @ss about MB TEX I want full leather period.
-I live in FL and LOVE heated seats - sounds odd but I have a bad back and at times the heated seats really help me out - gotta have front and back.
-Full safety features are not an option for me, they must be standard especially on a lux nameplate - period

I feel like MB likes to cater to people who are more price sensitive rather than lead the market segments and spoil their customers. Insane I just don't get it??????

As I have said on other posts - offer the options - pass the cost onto the customer. Especially options that are available on the platform (i.e. on the GL450 or 550)

Build to order - lots of great books written on the topic, customers, especially younger ones - demand it.

I'll say it again I wouldn't take the time to post this if I didn't love the GL but I am sticking with BMW for now -- one thing about BMW is that they are always adding options year over year AND they let you custom order just about anything any way you want it -- for a fee, what a concept?!

Come on MB get those options out there, content the #ell out of the premium vehicles (GL's) and lead the segment!
Old 08-16-2007 | 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Jlight, you're preaching to the choir here. Look when GLFahrer posted last.
Old 08-16-2007 | 12:59 AM

Currently Driving a BMW 325 Sport Wagon
I know I know

I just want a nice big diesel GL with ALL the options!!!
Old 08-16-2007 | 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by Jlight
I know I know

I just want a nice big diesel GL with ALL the options!!!
I had an LX470 for ... well, forever. It was a '99. I replaced it with the '07 GL. Frankly, the diesel was the deciding factor. If I'd scratched that off the table, it would've opened up a huge market of full size (-ish) SUV's, many of which have a much better ride than the LX did (though that thing was a monster off road, go figure). There's two things that will keep me from replacing the GL with another Mercedes product when the time comes; everyone will have at least one good modern-technology non-petrol offering (probably diesel or some diesel-hybrid option), and I'll get to pick and choose my luxury options. This is the type of email that MBUSA should be paying close attention to, but apparantly they are not. When BMW and Volvo finally bring full-compliance diesels to the US market (like maybe next year!), Mercedes might well find themselves having a tough time of it and realize they need to open the market up. Until they find that out, it'll be up to us to vote with our wallets.
Old 08-16-2007 | 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
I had an LX470 for ... well, forever. It was a '99. I replaced it with the '07 GL. Frankly, the diesel was the deciding factor. If I'd scratched that off the table, it would've opened up a huge market of full size (-ish) SUV's, many of which have a much better ride than the LX did (though that thing was a monster off road, go figure). There's two things that will keep me from replacing the GL with another Mercedes product when the time comes; everyone will have at least one good modern-technology non-petrol offering (probably diesel or some diesel-hybrid option), and I'll get to pick and choose my luxury options. This is the type of email that MBUSA should be paying close attention to, but apparantly they are not. When BMW and Volvo finally bring full-compliance diesels to the US market (like maybe next year!), Mercedes might well find themselves having a tough time of it and realize they need to open the market up. Until they find that out, it'll be up to us to vote with our wallets.
Right on the button Steve! I have been preaching this for years and MB continues to ignore the desires of the luxury market they compete in.

They have the SUV of the year and a diesel engine option...where is the marketing hype, where is the "luxury" options for the diesel, where is their head? I think you can answer that...:-)

As you so well put it, the market is only going to get tougher with the additional diesel options...but I think the jerks in Montvale still don't understand the American buyer after all the years they have been in business.
Old 08-16-2007 | 12:40 PM

MBs
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
When BMW and Volvo finally bring full-compliance diesels to the US market...
Volvo? When did they announce? They are not yet on the list of future diesels.

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...uture_diesels/

Audi Q7 3.0 TDI 2008
BMW 330d 2008
BMW X5 3.0d 2008
Cadillac CTS-D 2010
Chevrolet Silverado 4.5 V-8 Diesel 2010
Dodge Ram 1500 4.2 V-6 Diesel 2010
Ford Expedition 4.4 V-8 Diesel 2009
Ford F-150 4.4 V-8 Diesel 2009
GMC Sierra 4.5 V-8 Diesel 2010
Honda Accord Diesel 2009
Hummer H2 4.5 V-8 Diesel 2010
Hyundai Veracruz Diesel 2009
Mitsubishi Lancer Diesel 2010
Mitsubishi Outlander Diesel 2011
Nissan Maxima Diesel 2010
Nissan Titan Diesel 2010
Nissan Versa Diesel 2010
Saturn Aura Diesel 2010
Toyota Tundra 4.5 V8 Diesel 2010
Volkswagen Jetta Clean Diesel 2008
Volkswagen Tiguan Clean Diesel 2008
Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI 2009
Old 08-16-2007 | 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
Volvo? When did they announce? They are not yet on the list of future diesels.
Clearly I'm jumping the gun here (maybe wishful thinking?) when it comes to Volvo. After driving an S60 and an XC90 in the UK, I needed my drool cup. But like so many cars, right now what's in Europe and what's in the US are night and day different.

STP

PS Both Volvos were D-Cells and were fantastic.

Last edited by StevethePilot; 08-16-2007 at 01:29 PM.