GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

No heating package with leather?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2007 | 04:56 PM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
No heating package with leather?

Considering to buy 08 Gl 320cdi. The MB website is absolute trash. I hear they are getting new webmaster. Not sure if the dealers build spec are any better. Is it true the heating package can not be ordered with Leather seating? It was available in 07s.
Old 07-23-2007 | 06:36 PM

1972 Chevy Vega 2300 - Panel Express
Heating package cannot be ordered with the Leather package.

Leather package includes a Wood/Leather steering wheel.
Heating package includes a Heated/Leather steering wheel.
Old 07-23-2007 | 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Unless you buy a 550 in which case you can have leather, wood wheel and heating package.

Now why you can't get that on 450 or 320, I don't know.
Old 07-23-2007 | 08:07 PM

13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
Originally Posted by oknish
Unless you buy a 550 in which case you can have leather, wood wheel and heating package.

Now why you can't get that on 450 or 320, I don't know.
Let's ask Nevada that question.....quick run for cover!
Old 07-23-2007 | 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by jpeardm
Let's ask Nevada that question.....quick run for cover!
Incoming......................

Old 07-24-2007 | 12:06 AM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
Thnaks for the feedback all.. I still think MB is all confused about options.. they could easily have a rear heating seat option like they do on MLs and R
Old 07-24-2007 | 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by infamily
I still think MB is all confused about options.. they could easily have a rear heating seat option like they do on MLs and R
Welcome to the club MB knows best.
Old 07-24-2007 | 06:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
Welcome to the club MB knows best.
Old 07-24-2007 | 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
I rest my case...

Based on the comments I am seeing, the point has been made about MB marketing and option availability. No shots fired this time...
Old 07-24-2007 | 12:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Based on the comments I am seeing, the point has been made about MB marketing and option availability. No shots fired this time...
Wheeeewwwwww (Not sure of the spelling, but it does spell relief).

I would like to get an SUV in the next year or so to use as a daily driver. I am finding it very difficult to make compromises on its content just because some corporate committee thinks that not enough people want to order some of the options that M-B has already designed and made available. So, the search continues.
Old 07-25-2007 | 09:28 AM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
I have been watching this board and really am disappointed with MBUSA.

I have a GL 320 with every option save distronic and keyless go. I have the leather package (or at least leather seats) with heating package. I have comfort seats.

This is a great truck. It gets amazing fuel mileage. It is very comfortable. I have been so happy with it that I sold my 545i (which used to be my daily driver) because it is so easy to deal with, unlike any SUV I have driven in the past.

I am getting the feeling that MBUSA doesn't get it. They are building new trucks that will have LESS availabilty of customization and options than my truck has. It doesn't make sense. I mean, the more a model of a car matures, the MORE it should be able to be ourfitted with more stuff. To go backwards is disappointing and confusing.
Old 07-25-2007 | 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by oinick
I have been watching this board and really am disappointed with MBUSA.

I have a GL 320 with every option save distronic and keyless go. I have the leather package (or at least leather seats) with heating package. I have comfort seats.

This is a great truck. It gets amazing fuel mileage. It is very comfortable. I have been so happy with it that I sold my 545i (which used to be my daily driver) because it is so easy to deal with, unlike any SUV I have driven in the past.

I am getting the feeling that MBUSA doesn't get it. They are building new trucks that will have LESS availabilty of customization and options than my truck has. It doesn't make sense. I mean, the more a model of a car matures, the MORE it should be able to be ourfitted with more stuff. To go backwards is disappointing and confusing.
MBUSA had not "gotten it" for the past 30 years that I can vouch for. Whether their policies or outlook will ever change I don't know. For some reason they just do not understand the US luxury car buyers preferences or they just care about the bottom line and market accordingly.

Their attitude is still a little arrogant and they offer you a "Mercedes Benz" more or less saying "be happy you are able to own one." Almost every response I get from an inquiry to MBUSA comes back with the attitude "we know best."
Old 07-25-2007 | 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Their attitude is still a little arrogant and they offer you a "Mercedes Benz" more or less saying "be happy you are able to own one." Almost every response I get from an inquiry to MBUSA comes back with the attitude "we know best."
While a lot has to be said for how my dealership dealt with me both with regards to purchasing my GL and how they dealt with the hose issues, I think the sign in the loaner department sums up the whole MB attitude to date; "Smile, you get to drive a Mercedes today." No sh*t, Sherlock, I drove in with one that I'm paying you money to fix, and I have a choice of at least three dealerships and about 100 qualified mechanics in town - how about a "you get to drive a MB loaner because we know you had a choice?"

Ugh. A director once told me that everyone's life is a balance scale, of talent and "pain in the ***." As long as your talent side outweighs your "pain in the ***" side, you're okay. I think MB does what they can to keep "pain in the ***" as close to the limit as possible.
Old 07-25-2007 | 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
While a lot has to be said for how my dealership dealt with me both with regards to purchasing my GL and how they dealt with the hose issues, I think the sign in the loaner department sums up the whole MB attitude to date; "Smile, you get to drive a Mercedes today." No sh*t, Sherlock, I drove in with one that I'm paying you money to fix, and I have a choice of at least three dealerships and about 100 qualified mechanics in town - how about a "you get to drive a MB loaner because we know you had a choice?"

Ugh. A director once told me that everyone's life is a balance scale, of talent and "pain in the ***." As long as your talent side outweighs your "pain in the ***" side, you're okay. I think MB does what they can to keep "pain in the ***" as close to the limit as possible.
Gad that is well put!
Old 07-25-2007 | 03:47 PM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
Arrogance of MB

I did call MB yesterday and talked to their " technical/design expert". He of course assured me how well they knew what the customer wants and based on their excellent market research they made these option choices. I told them then they just lost a sale because I am not going to buy a 60+ K car without having the option of leather or rear heated seats. After all this is supposed to be a family car.

Old 07-25-2007 | 06:26 PM

1972 Chevy Vega 2300 - Panel Express
Originally Posted by infamily
I did call MB yesterday and talked to their " technical/design expert". He of course assured me how well they knew what the customer wants and based on their excellent market research they made these option choices. I told them then they just lost a sale because I am not going to buy a 60+ K car without having the option of leather or rear heated seats. After all this is supposed to be a family car.

So, you are going to walk because you can't get two leather seats in the 2nd row electrically heated? Where do you live that this a deal-breaker? With all due respect, you were gonna walk anyway.

You write: "...this is supposed to be family car". What about the fact that the GL-Class has the most safety features of any vehicle in the SUV market. That's less important to a "family" than 2nd row heat?

If 2nd row heat is so important then just get the M-B Tex.
It is sad that you can't get EXACTLY what you want. But for me a 1% issue does not outweigh a 99% car.

Oh by the way...how is it that you were able to talk directly with their "technical/design expert"? That would be very usefull to some of us.

Last edited by GL Fahrer; 07-25-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-25-2007 | 07:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by oinick
Well said. Here are some examples of the model that I am personally familiar with, the E class.

MY 2004 discontinued puddle lights under door mirrors.
MY 2005 discontinued availability of the "Rest" feature, discontinued drive dynamic seats in non-AMG models, free services during the warranty period, discontinued availability of solar cells (provided forced ventilation on hot days when the ignition is turned off), discontinued availability of distronic on non-AMGs, discontinued availability of tire pressure monitoring system, discontinued on demand charcoal filter.
MY 2007 discontinued drive dynamic seats in all models, including AMGs, changed front brake calipers on AMG models from 8 piston to 6 piston, discontinued sensortronic brake system.

My intention is not to stir up trouble, just to point out that “decontenting” is nothing new and it will probably continue.
Old 07-25-2007 | 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by GL Fahrer
So, you are going to walk because you can't get two leather seats in the 2nd row electrically heated? Where do you live that this a deal-breaker? With all due respect, you were gonna walk anyway.

You write: "...this is supposed to be family car". What about the fact that the GL-Class has the most safety features of any vehicle in the SUV market. That's less important to a "family" than 2nd row heat?

If 2nd row heat is so important then just get the M-B Tex.
It is sad that you can't get EXACTLY what you want. But for me a 1% issue does not outweigh a 99% car.

Oh by the way...how is it that you were able to talk directly with their "technical/design expert"? That would be very usefull to some of us.
You do make some good points but I think the point of the argument is that as a customer paying top $, I want choice to mix/match options as I want instead of my choice being dictated by the maker. OTOH, I should be prepared to wait to get my "custom" car.

A 1% issue for one person may be 99% issue for someone else.

That's just my opinion and everyone is entitled to my opinion
Old 07-25-2007 | 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You do make some good points but I think the point of the argument is that as a customer paying top $, I want choice to mix/match options as I want instead of my choice being dictated by the maker. OTOH, I should be prepared to wait to get my "custom" car.

A 1% issue for one person may be 99% issue for someone else.

That's just my opinion and everyone is entitled to my opinion
I like your opinion if you like mine...:-)

Why should it even be an issue for the US buyer and not be an issue for the EU buyer since he can have whatever combination of options he wants from the same factory?????

To paraphrase..."There is something rotten in Montvale..."
Old 07-25-2007 | 09:28 PM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
we all have opnions

I am in MN so heated seat is important. The point is not weather I can live without any particular option the point is " Arrogance of MBUSA". There are many equally safe cars out there. However, I think I will just wait six month because I am convinced they will bring it back once they come back to their senses.

To get to MB rep, you call the toll free Number listed on MBUSA site under "about us" menu, then ask real tough questions and they will have a MB technical rep get in touch with you.

Last edited by infamily; 07-25-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-25-2007 | 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Major meeting in Las Vegas

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Aside from solving all the problems of the world, Stumblefoot and NevadaJack met in the bar of Rao's at Caesars Palace last night. If certain ears were burning then you know what the conversation centered on. The drinks were cold, the food was hot and the conversation was entertaining and informative for both future GL550 owners. The night ended with Stumblefoot off to the tables and NevadaJack driving home in a rare but welcome rainstorm. 30
Old 07-25-2007 | 10:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
As annoying as the packaging options are from MBUSA, I'm more annoyed on the limited color combos/choices. I mean, a member from Qatar was given the option of having the seat stitching match the exterior color of the S-Class. Talk about having an individual ride!

Okay, maybe I'm just weird like that.
Old 07-25-2007 | 10:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by AsianML
As annoying as the packaging options are from MBUSA, I'm more annoyed on the limited color combos/choices. I mean, a member from Qatar was given the option of having the seat stitching match the exterior color of the S-Class. Talk about having an individual ride!

Okay, maybe I'm just weird like that.
No you're not. His car was made in the same factory where US models are made. If they can do it for him, then they should do it for us. Their attitude makes less sense to me knowing that we have instant world wide communication via the Internet. We are making discoveries that M-B would like to keep from us. They were not counting on our finding out about their selective option availability. Are you listening M-B? The word is out and we are not pleased.
Old 07-25-2007 | 10:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by Can Drive 55
No you're not. His car was made in the same factory where US models are made. If they can do it for him, then they should do it for us. Their attitude makes less sense to me knowing that we have instant world wide communication via the Internet. We are making discoveries that M-B would like to keep from us. They were not counting on our finding out about their selective option availability. Are you listening M-B? The word is out and we are not pleased.

I mean, try building the GL here. The site makes so much more sense than MBUSA's. Check out the designo options they have in the UK!
http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/cont...o.html#mainnav
Old 07-25-2007 | 10:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by AsianML

I mean, try building the GL here. The site makes so much more sense than MBUSA's. Check out the designo options they have in the UK!
http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/cont...o.html#mainnav
You know, that's just not right. This is depressing me more and more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No heating package with leather?