GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

2008 mb gl cdi w/offroad package?...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 mb gl cdi w/offroad package?...

Does anyone know the rationale behind the lack of the offroad package on CDI in the US? I hear that offroad package and PRESAFE are standard on Australian GL's at least. I know every GL in UK has it; why is it not available here in US? What a bummer! Another note...anyone know when Bluetec GL will arrive as option? I currently have an order in for a 2008 MB GL CDI, ETA December 07. I was hoping it would come as Bluetech and Offroad package would be made available prior to its arrival. I'm in 2005 V6 Toureg gasser now and hoped the GL would be an improved alternative. Input is appreciated...

Tucson Offroader

Last edited by febrile; 07-29-2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:24 PM

13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
From our point of view as the lowly check writers it seems there is no rationale with MB's decisions to eliminate some options in 08 on the 320 and 450. There are a couple recent threads that wander all through this subject if you want to do a lot of reading. I don't remember which ones but they are pretty comprehensive in the why's and why not's. It appears MB has some very specific ideas about what will make them the most profits in the US market and giving the buyer flexibility in ordering options is not one of them.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:36 PM

Currently Driving a BMW 325 Sport Wagon
Read the following Post:

"Gourmet Crackers for GL Fahrer"

I am sure after you read it (in the GL Forum) you'll be just as jazzed up as the rest of us...
Old 07-29-2007, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 180 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
I think the rationale at MBUSA is they want the GL-CDI to be an "economy" model. The difference in the price of diesel vs gasoline is not as great in USA as it is elsewhere, and it won't take much to make the diesel GL not look like such an economy car in the USA.

I suspect it's also true that most Mercedes buyers are the "oh heck, throw that in too" type rather than the types that can truly evaluate the advantages of the offroad package, which IMHO aren't much. This means it will be purchased more in the "loaded" big engine models than by those looking for economy.

As for hoping for "Bluetec" in 2008, one's mind boggles at why. When it becomes required it will work fine and won't be any problem, by why want it when it's not required?
Old 07-30-2007, 05:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by jpeardm
From our point of view as the lowly check writers it seems there is no rationale with MB's decisions to eliminate some options in 08 on the 320 and 450. There are a couple recent threads that wander all through this subject if you want to do a lot of reading. I don't remember which ones but they are pretty comprehensive in the why's and why not's. It appears MB has some very specific ideas about what will make them the most profits in the US market and giving the buyer flexibility in ordering options is not one of them.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by jpeardm

After having followed the subject for some time now......I think your last line is the "bottom line" so to speak!
Old 07-30-2007, 11:04 AM

Currently Driving a BMW 325 Sport Wagon
This issue really gets under my skin... Don't you think from a production, sourcing, parts, and dealer network stand point it would be a LOT easier to get the car globally contented (i.e. same parts and options across the globe and on all models - if so ordered)?

I mean you have two different tire pressure monitors one for the US, one for other regions? Then you have several versions of the seats, granted some are optional (not on the 320) but then you have vented/cooled optional seats offered in some regions, not in the US...

If MB wants to focus on profits, one area they could look at is global contenting...

Let me end by please asking all not to post the response about "laws and regulations" in other regions, that pertain to safety features (i.e. tire pressure)... Come on, if given the choice many of us Americans would want to know exact pressure in each individual tire...

Come on MB, think leading edge, give the customer what they want and always be one-step ahead of the competition!
Old 07-31-2007, 11:06 PM

Talking

Thanks for the feedback Gent's.
So you all are excited about the CDI as the winner.

I thought that I read somewhere that the Bluetec gets better MPG, has better torque and likely will have reward with tax credits as lean-fuel-vehicle like the Hy-turds, or (Hybrids).

I was thinking about on the newly offered V6 Touareg TDI, VW finally offering V6 TDI this year. Touareg offers pretty good offroad packages, so does Range Rover, but I got sold on MB because of V6 diesel, third row seating and safety features. I would like to have the PRESAFE features too.

Last edited by febrile; 08-01-2007 at 02:05 PM.