Quick Deal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Quick Deal?

I contacted my rep yesterday and indicated I may be interested in buying from his initial stock of GL's. He indicated that he had two coming in this week but both were sold. He is at training on the C Class today so he will check his inventory for unsold arrivals and let me know tomorrow.

The reason is that all the GL's have the same equipment except for the KG and RSE (plus some other minor stuff.) The initial dealer stock of un-changeable trucks include the RSE, Hitch and iPod I think. Colors are usually Black on Black and maybe White. So in order to speed up delivery, if he has a Black on Black or White on Black or White on Macadamia (or any other combination I like), I would take it as equipped if the price is right. He also could have a unsold truck that the dealer selected the options and color for which would be okay also. I would like to take delivery as soon as possible since I have been holding off on a trip to the east coast.

Will know something tomorrow and make a decision quickly if he has an unsold one coming in the next couple of weeks.

Put this little composite thing together for reference. I am not normally a fan of Black interiors but did see a GL450 some weeks ago and it was impressive with the burl walnut wood.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Wish you all the luck, Jack. Maybe we will now get pics even earlier

And, yes, Burl Walnut was a big "eye catcher" for me also. But then I saw the Birch wood in Jen's over the weekend and that looked really nice as well especially with the ash interior.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB
Jack,

Looks like you and I both are tired of waiting! I personally went with White/ Mac interior primarily to get color contrast like your S class. Good luck finding an earlier unit, can't wait to see more pics! I'm also thinking that if you're heading to the East coast a GL gathering may be in order...
Old 08-07-2007, 02:28 PM

ML500
If one of those GL's arriving this week is blue, guess whose truck that is?
You can get a GL450 from AZ if you can't wait, they had a few last I checked. They had blacks and whites. I owned a black one in Socal and then moved to LV, and I hated it here. I have a silver and love it, can't see myself driving a white "ambulance".
Old 08-07-2007, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BETO
You can get a GL450 from AZ if you can't wait, they had a few last I checked. They had blacks and whites. I owned a black one in Socal and then moved to LV, and I hated it here. I have a silver and love it, can't see myself driving a white "ambulance".
My dealer is not Fletcher Jones...I wouldn't buy a Polo Shirt from them. I have a great SA and they do great service but their sales department needs an overhaul. Low-ball Steve the sales manager is still living in the "if you want a MB, you have to pay for it..."era.

If I wanted a 450 I would have taken delivery on the Gl320 I waited over 5 months for. Color is not that critical...I think the GL looks good in any color.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:20 PM

MB
Hey, If my white "ambulance" fools those dumb@$$!$ sleeping in the left lane to move over so I can utilize those 382bhp then I've made the right choice!
Old 08-07-2007, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by emayer
Hey, If my white "ambulance" fools those dumb@$$!$ sleeping in the left lane to move over so I can utilize those 382bhp then I've made the right choice!
You made the right choice...that 382hp engine with that 7 speed tranny is one great combination. Anyone seen the 0-60 figures yet for the GL550? Should be a bad machine considering it size and weight.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:57 PM

MB
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
You made the right choice...that 382hp engine with that 7 speed tranny is one great combination. Anyone seen the 0-60 figures yet for the GL550? Should be a bad machine considering it size and weight.
Jack, the numbers I find from the MB Germany site indicate 0-100km in 6.5 sec. This compares to 7.2 sec for the 450. This should be one of the fastest full-size SUVs out there. Can't wait!
Old 08-08-2007, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jack, the numbers I find from the MB Germany site indicate 0-100km in 6.5 sec. This compares to 7.2 sec for the 450. This should be one of the fastest full-size SUVs out there. Can't wait!
Thanks for the info. I don't rush off the line that much but it is nice to know you have it there to take advantage of when needed...:-)
Old 08-08-2007, 09:00 AM

2001 BMW 540i/6-speed, 2008 GL550
Actually, are there ANY 3-row SUV's that are faster? Car mags were getting mid 6-second times for the 450, so the 550 should be in the 5's.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:46 PM

MB
Originally Posted by sraj
Actually, are there ANY 3-row SUV's that are faster? Car mags were getting mid 6-second times for the 450, so the 550 should be in the 5's.
I think the Escalade is closest being in the mid 6 second range. In regards to 0-60 times, MB tends to be conservative so a high 5 to low 6 second time for the 550 is likely. More important in my opinion will be mid-range passing power and it should be excellent for this large a beast given the engine/tranny combo. Haven't seen any auto mag reviews yet...
Old 08-08-2007, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think the Escalade is closest being in the mid 6 second range. In regards to 0-60 times, MB tends to be conservative so a high 5 to low 6 second time for the 550 is likely. More important in my opinion will be mid-range passing power and it should be excellent for this large a beast given the engine/tranny combo. Haven't seen any auto mag reviews yet...
Correct on the mid-range power. When I goose the S doing 75mph on the freeway, it scampers like it was from a stoplight. If you want to leave someone in the dust going down the highway, this engine and tranny will flat out make them disappear in the rear view mirror. Even with the additional weight I think you will get a similar result with the 550. I think the GL450 owners can probably vouch for the power surge when needed.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:40 PM

13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
Correct on the mid-range power. When I goose the S doing 75mph on the freeway, it scampers like it was from a stoplight. If you want to leave someone in the dust going down the highway, this engine and tranny will flat out make them disappear in the rear view mirror. Even with the additional weight I think you will get a similar result with the 550. I think the GL450 owners can probably vouch for the power surge when needed.
Jack, yeah I used to do that for fun in my SL600, that thing was scary fast after 70! For the 450 the highway acceleration is pretty impressive too for this large a vehicle, very smooth and with all the gears it's very responsive without much lag. It's all there when you need it which is every day up here in Boston with these a&^%#^@ drivers all over the roads.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by jpeardm
It's all there when you need it which is every day up here in Boston with these a&^%#^@ drivers all over the roads.
The most fun is driving into Springfield with a 42' Class A motorhome. Then, those drivers are really great! Patient, courteous, forgiving, it's all there.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:39 PM

ML500
My dealer is not Fletcher Jones...I wouldn't buy a Polo Shirt from them. I have a great SA and they do great service but their sales department needs an overhaul. Low-ball Steve the sales manager is still living in the "if you want a MB, you have to pay for it..."era.

If I wanted a 450 I would have taken delivery on the Gl320 I waited over 5 months for. Color is not that critical...I think the GL looks good in any color.
I see, you are right, I've had issues buying there before. Even with their service dept as well, I had to teach them how to turn on the aux switch for the fog lights, they had no idea. I had to go to Socal for my first ML. Unfortunately there is no diesel in socal, so I have to stick to the local or go to AZ, I don't know anybody else. Who is your dealer then?
BTW, if I have a similar experience as when I bought my last ML I will walk out, I'm not that desperate to buy this SUV.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I see, you are right, I've had issues buying there before. Even with their service dept as well, I had to teach them how to turn on the aux switch for the fog lights, they had no idea. I had to go to Socal for my first ML. Unfortunately there is no diesel in socal, so I have to stick to the local or go to AZ, I don't know anybody else. Who is your dealer then?
BTW, if I have a similar experience as when I bought my last ML I will walk out, I'm not that desperate to buy this SUV.
I deal with Greg Weiler in Denver at Westminster MB. He knows the product and provides excellent and quick responses.

His phone # is 866-659-4788. Just tell him Nevada Jack referred you and he will treat you like an old friend.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

August 17 Build Date....

My rep did his job well and found this GL550 with a August 17 build! Should be a done deal by the end of the day after we firm up the figures.

Obsidian Black on Black with all options. I wanted the wood wheel and did not want the RSE or Hitch but I am willing to "suffer" for the August build and early September delivery.

The NetStar sheet:

Old 08-09-2007, 08:29 AM

MB
My rep did his job well and found this GL550 with a August 17 build! Should be a done deal by the end of the day after we firm up the figures.

Obsidian Black on Black with all options. I wanted the wood wheel and did not want the RSE or Hitch but I am willing to "suffer" for the August build and early September delivery.

The NetStar sheet:

Congratulations Jack! Our cars should arrive about the same date. Having the RSE and hitch will be helpful come resale time as most of us are using these as "family trucksters"
Old 08-09-2007, 09:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
19 MB G63, '18 RR Dawn, '15 RR ATB LWB, '14/'08 MB GL550, '11 MB CL63 AMG, '11 X5 50i etc etc
NJ,

I knew you'd see it my way we got same car, same colors and same build date.... It's truckin time (bling bling style) come earlt Sept.. Congrats on the early order.. I hope they're not giving you my order... MB would never do that right?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Waiting-4-550
NJ,

I knew you'd see it my way we got same car, same colors and same build date.... It's truckin time (bling bling style) come earlt Sept.. Congrats on the early order.. I hope they're not giving you my order... MB would never do that right?
Greg said something about he was able to get an east coast build because MB found out the order came from someone who owned 2 BMW's...sorry...LOL
Old 08-09-2007, 10:12 AM

2001 BMW 540i/6-speed, 2008 GL550
Jack,

Let me add my congratulations. Looking forward to your impressions.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:18 AM

2014 GL 450
Congratz, NJ. Looking forward to seeing that beautiful truck in Vegas.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
You don't have to suffer for long, Jack. I will trade my 450 for your 550 when I see you in Vegas. That way you can have the wood wheel and no hitch. For you, I would drive a car with leather wheel

CONGRATS................and don't forget to post some pics when you get this east coast allocation.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks

Thanks for all the congratz...I was really surprised that Greg had one in the pipeline and loaded at that.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by oknish
You don't have to suffer for long, Jack. I will trade my 450 for your 550 when I see you in Vegas. That way you can have the wood wheel and no hitch. For you, I would drive a car with leather wheel

CONGRATS................and don't forget to post some pics when you get this east coast allocation.
Hey nish, you are really a nice guy to do that for me. Let's split a deck for high card, winner take all...:-)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Quick Deal?