GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Anyone else having to add engine oil to GL320 CDI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 10:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
Anyone else having to add engine oil to GL320 CDI

We have owned our GL 320 CDI for about 2 weeks and have driven approx 1500 miles. Our first long trip was a 200 mile trip and after 100 miles of driving "check oil at next gas fill up" warning sign came on (odometer was at approx 500 miles at this time). We checked the oil level and found it below the max level indicator. We added a quart of oil and the car was fine for few days. This Friday same warning came on again after we drove the car for 100 some miles (900 total miles on car), checked for oil level but the level was fine. Called MBservice and they thought maybe we have a bad sensor. Yesterday we drove the car again for approx 100 miles and same warning came on again. This time however the oil level was down and we added a quart. Now I am wondering if the car is burning oil when driven at Highway speeds for extended period. Is anyone else having same problems?
Old 08-25-2007, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by infamily
Is anyone else having same problems?
That does not sound good! I'm absolutely having no problems doing long highway or short in-town stuff. I am sure you already have, but if not then check for drips below the car after you've driven it on the highway and then parked it for a while. Could be a bad main seal? (Now THERE'S a 1980's Mercedes problem!)

STP
Old 08-25-2007, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
That does not sound good! I'm absolutely having no problems doing long highway or short in-town stuff.

STP
OOOOOhhhhhhhh!!! That really does not sound good. I'm over 10K miles on a Q2 hose with NO - Nada - Nothing - problems. I would take the new car back and say "fix it". Something not right here....
Old 08-25-2007, 11:00 PM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Can't say anything about my 320 yet since I just drove it home today but.....
I have been driving diesels for 25 years and they do tend to use a little oil, especially when new, more than their gasoline counterparts. (17.5:1 compression) Yours does sound a bit extreme. If it is leaking (2qts so far) you should see signs of it along the undecarriage or in your garage or driveway. If it is burning it, you may see signs in the exhaust pipe (black soot or smudge). With the new particle burners, the exhaust pipe should remain clean for some time. My C 3500 Duramax has 15,000 miles already and the tail pipe is as clean as the day I bought it.

My guess would be a leak.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:43 AM

2006 E55
Hmm. We too, had about 1500 miles and were on a road trip. Same scenario, warning came on about 300 miles from home. It was about a half a quart low. I put in some new mobile 1, and have driven about 1500 more miles but haven't checked it yet. Will update this thread tonight if it's low again.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:54 PM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
Well the car is at dealer today. It might be a sensor problem not oil burning or leaking problem. No visible signs of oil leak anywhere. We drove almost 700 miles yesterday, check engine oil warning kept coming on after every 100 or so miles. We checked oil level every time and it seemed to be holding up. I think the first 2 quarts that we added were probably combination of new vehicle oil use and maybe us overfilling a bit.. because the level indicator showed just below max and per service the proper level should be midway between max and min. Will post more once dealer checks it out.

Last edited by infamily; 08-27-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:20 PM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
Just heard back from dealer. Supposedly there is MB bulletin out for oil level sensor mounting bracket. This new bracket will allow the sensor to be mounted at the proper height in the oil pan. The bracket is being shipped from Germany.. yes Germany and they hope to get it in a week or so. So I guess I will drive the car for now with irritating alarm ( but will keep checking oil level). Otherwise, I have to say, I love this car. We drove 1500 miles this weekend and it was pure pleasure to drive and ride in this car.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by infamily
Just heard back from dealer. Supposedly there is MB bulletin out for oil level sensor mounting bracket. This new bracket will allow the sensor to be mounted at the proper height in the oil pan. The bracket is being shipped from Germany.. yes Germany and they hope to get it in a week or so. So I guess I will drive the car for now with irritating alarm ( but will keep checking oil level). Otherwise, I have to say, I love this car. We drove 1500 miles this weekend and it was pure pleasure to drive and ride in this car.

I have my GL 450 for about one and a half year and got that warning three times. I brought it in for service the first 2 times, service added oil first time and replaced a kit (I have no idea of what that is) the 2nd time. The three time happened last week after a 200 miles plus trip. I called MB service and they told me to add a quart of oil. Then, I drove back home for about another 200 miles but have not seen the warning. I think there must be something and will try to find sometimes next week for service.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:55 PM

gl320 cdi and e320cdi
Post Same indication

We have had our GL320 since January. This past weekend my wife was driving it on the highway and this light came on. A check of the oil showed that it was at the minimum line. Strange since I have the oil changed about every 3,000 miles. I am taking it in tomorrow and I will post an entry with what they tell me and what they do.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
We just got the "Check Oil at Next Fill up" indicator over Labor Day weekend after a drive to Las Vegas from Phoenix.

When I checked the oil, it was about 1/2 way down on the dipstick between the low and high marks.

I ended up adding a quart of oil to bring it back to the high mark. I think so far we have about 4500 miles on the car, so it may have burned a quart since the engine was new. We have not had any more warnings come on in the two weeks since.

I will ask my dealer about the new mounting bracket during the next service.

I am gonna have to start making a list... There is a bunch of stuff I want to ask about... Oil level, Charge Hose Recall, the inward camber of the rear wheels, the Version of the Navteq Mapping software that I have...